Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Do I need Rousse by Serge Lutens if I own CdG Cinnamon Sherbet?

I'm wearing Rousse by Serge Lutens today for the second time (thanks to Leopoldo for the sample) and in my never ending quest for the perfect cinnamon scent Rousse makes a strong case for #1 best cinnamon scent. It's cinnamon, it's transparent (watery?), and a refreshing take on cinnamon - almost thirst quenching. This is a good thing, here in warm weather South Florida. Many fans of Rousse call it a summer gourmand fragrance and I tend to agree, although my fall/autumn here in Miami is more like everyone else's spring/summer.

The first time I smelled this, I found it similar to Red Hots candies at the top notes - but this second wearing revealed a more toned down cinnamon note to me. Perhaps my cinnamon threshold is higher now, or perhaps other scents ring the 'Red Hots' alarm more so (Maharadjah by Parfums de Nicolai comes to mind, as does Witness by Bogart). In any event, Rousse is everything I want in a cinnamon scent right now.

However I find Rousse really similar to Sherbet:Cinnamon by Comme des Garcons. Has anyone smelled both (or owned both) and care to share if owning one makes owning the other obsolete?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th December 2007 at 06:15 PM.

Default Re: Do I need Rousse by Serge Lutens if I own CdG Cinnamon Sherbert?

That's interesting...I don't find them all that similar, other than the cinnamon note. I sort of prefer CDG better, but probably because its lighter. I think they're definitely different enough to warrant owning both...and the CDG bottle is so small that its not like you won't ever finish the bottle.

I own both and find them very different. For example CdG is cool, Rousse is warm, CdG slightly edgy, Rousse smooth, etc etc etc.

So if Rousse is The One for you, and you find them similar, you don't really need CdG (you might want it, though).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I own both and find them very different. For example CdG is cool, Rousse is warm, CdG slightly edgy, Rousse smooth, etc etc etc.

So if Rousse is The One for you, and you find them similar, you don't really need CdG (you might want it, though).
    Thanks - I think I see what you mean.

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing both Rousse and Cinnamon today. They are quite different:

Rousse by Serge Lutens (the last of my sample from Leopoldo) is such a warm, transparent scent, it's almost non-Serge Lutens in its character. I still get the Red Hots at the top notes, but today a new note revealed itself: dried rose petals. Very faintly in the middle of the cinnamon and watery notes, there is a dried flower note reminiscent of potpourri (I know, I know...potpourri is not a good analogy, but what else has dried rose petals in it?). It's about 5 hours after I've applied the Rousse to the crook of my left arm and it can only be noticed if I smell it up close. Perhaps this is because I couldn't over apply it, since I only had 2 sprays left in my sample atomizer - but the warm cedary lingering basenotes are classic Serge Lutens. Mark my words: I will be owning a full bottle of Rousse in 2008. For sure.

Series 5 Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garcons on the other hand - is NOT warm at all. If you're familiar with the strange aura that some CdG scents have (the Synthetic Series, the Odeur's, Play, etc.) then you will understood the 'headspace' feeling one gets when you spray Cinnamon on. It's almost as if a hydrogen gas has been sprayed all over you and then all you smell for a few seconds is a strong absence of smell, with a very faint cinnamon in the background. The visual image I got was baking cookies in a spaceship, orbiting the planet Earth. As the scent heats up on my skin the cinnamon becomes much more prominent (as if the volume is being slowly turned up...) and then the saffron peeks out just a little along with the benzoin which is not really resinous at all, but transparent (weird huh - transparent benzoin?). I think the Sherbet name is misleading - this scent is not creamy nor is it sweet. I do not smell the bergamot or vetiver but I do perhaps smell a little carnation in the middle notes. I have to overapply this, for it to last. This means atleast 7-8 full sprays.

The answer to my original question is a resouding yes! Cinnamon note lovers can own and enjoy both Rousse and CdG Cinnamon.