Code of Conduct

Default Women's hairstyles

I'm growing out one of those damned boyish "pixie" cuts. So, I need some inspiration to keep me from hacking it off again in this hideously-awkward stage.

What are your favourite women's hairstyles?
    Last edited by bernat; 1st December 2007 at 01:15 AM.

Default Re: Women's hairstyles

Oh dear. I have one of those pixie cuts. lOL My hair is thick and has a wave so I can't be bothered with it growing out, it gets too heavy after awhile.

How about some pretty headbands in different colours?

Or do a google of Kylie, she had the pixie look for awhile and was really good at adding different looks when growing it out. There should be lots of photos.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    I'm growing out one of those damned boyish "pixie" cuts. So, I need some inspiration to keep me from hacking it off again in this hideously-awkward stage.

I love girls with pixie cuts!!! I totally know what you mean about the awkward stage, though. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to grow my hair out from a pixie cut...it was terrifying. For the past 3 years or so I've had my hair in spikes. Not like, hard gel spikes, but fine kinda wispy spikes. I love them so much & I can't imagine myself with any other cut.

My suggestion...if you've had the same stylist for over a year, most likely she/he knows the nuances of your hair (which direction certain parts grow, thickness, coarseness, etc). Your stylist can probably recommend certain cuts & styles better than something just picked from a magazine which look cute on the page, but wouldn't necessarily look nice with your hair & face shape.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I just realized something after thinking about bernat's post. When I kept my hair short the last couple of years, I never thought about it. Now that I'm trying to grow it back to shoulder length, it's driving me crazy, and I think about my hair all the time. Constantly frustrated, constantly thinking, "Arrgghh, I just wanna chop it all off again." It's really tough to get through that awkward stage, and I don't know if it's frustration or instinct telling me to keep it short.

ETA: Which is to say, I'll be peeking in on this thread for inspiration, too!
    Last edited by tang; 3rd December 2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Tang, I feel your pain. I keep looking in the mirror every day half expecting/hoping it to have grown a couple inches over night. I've been slicking mine back to it's not so apparent that I have these terrible lumpy layers.

I've heard that getting highlights or other gentle dye will help keep you satisfied enough to let it be for awhile. Also, if you've got enough to cover those clip-in Ken Paves extensions, I hear those look pretty good.
    Last edited by bernat; 3rd December 2007 at 09:08 PM.

oh hun I feel for you. I grew out a pixie a few years ago and found that there is not much to be done besides hats, scarves, and creatively gelling the sides back. The best thing is to every month visit a very good stylist who can train it as much as possible into an attractive style as it grows.

But, yeah, ugh. especially that mini-mullet thing that happens as the back grows out.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 6th December 2007 at 10:36 AM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

It hink something that would work for growing out a pixie cut might be to blow dry the back out and up (flipping it) and then parting the front at the side right above the iris, and blow dry down and straight from that point. Use little hairpins/bobby pins on the sides to hold them back. Then the next stage would be, once the sides grow out you can put them behind your ears. YOu can either elect to keep the bangs at this point or grow them out now or wait until later to grow them out. Once the hair on the sides is as long as the hair at the back (you keep getting the back trimmed so you can flip it out) then you can get it cut into a layered bob, slightly A-line. Very "in" right now. Then once you have the bob effect going, its easy to grow out in any which way..if that is what you are in to doing at that point. Bob's can be any length too, so you can change your mind on the style of bob you want, whether w/bangs or not, A-line or not, layered or not, stacked or not in the back.
    --------------------------------------
    don't forget you can have a very short bob flipped out as well......check out the hair cutting books you will see what i mean.
    Last edited by sameasalways; 27th December 2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Smile Re: Women's hairstyles

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I just realized something after thinking about bernat's post. When I kept my hair short the last couple of years, I never thought about it. Now that I'm trying to grow it back to shoulder length, it's driving me crazy, and I think about my hair all the time. Constantly frustrated, constantly thinking, "Arrgghh, I just wanna chop it all off again." It's really tough to get through that awkward stage, and I don't know if it's frustration or instinct telling me to keep it short.
    I understand the impulse to just hack it off in a fit of Spears-ian pique! I lost my hair to chemotherapy in my mid teens (a loss not nearly as traumatic as people told me it would be!).

Half a decade later, and my hair is now a thick, long, wavy mass. When I'm tired of washing, trimming and combing, or I'm trying to get it the hell away from my neck at the height of a Melbourne scorcher and it's just not behaving itself, I get an overwhelming urge to just shave it off.

And I probably would, If it weren't for the loud opinions of my family and boyfriend ("Do you WANT to be sick again?" is a pearler my sister came up with).

Mate, think about it for a few days. Write a pro/con list if you have to. Then do what feels better

I'm fond of Forties style retro bobs -- very elegant, timeless and chic. (Especially when worn with a snood!)

I also like French twists, pixie cuts and simple buns.

I guess I'm just a sucker for the classics.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post

ETA: Which is to say, I'll be peeking in on this thread for inspiration, too!
    yup. i've been singing that song too. i cut off my tail to donate to locks of love in october, had this backwards bob for a while, then trimmed it again to even it out. and its still only sitting on my shoulders, it never seems to grow and i hate it (or perhaps its because its curly wavy and keeps springing up that it looks like it doesn't grow).

i want my long hair back, but other days i want to hack it all off and wear a wig.

all in all though,
    i miss my long, wavy, brunette sex bomb hair. >_<
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post

20s/30s/40s hair.

think Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly from Chicago or the Hollywood starletts from that era. beautiful in my opinion.
    Last edited by xdattax; 8th April 2008 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...