Code of Conduct

Default Safest Blind Buy?

I'm in high school and i want good longevity/sillage. I'm thinking one of these 3

1. D&G
    2. Body Kouros
    3. Rochas Man
    Last edited by gza; 4th January 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Default Re: Safest Blind Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by gza View Post
    I'm in high school and i want good longevity/sillage. I'm thinking one of these 3

1. D&G
    2. Kouros
    3. Rochas Man

only my opinion(disclaimer)...

but if I were you I would cross Kouros off your list......it is one of the unsafest blind buys anyone can make....let alone a highschool student...i think you might feel that it is a bit 'older' for you even if you find it ok......

however, Body Kouros(totally different scent) is a great, great buy for the winter/spring time and i believe is a very safe buy.....

Rochas is good safe bet......If i were you i would decide between Rochas and Body Kouros...I'm leaning a bit towards Body kouros though...

but from your choices alone, i would go with Rochas.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    only my opinion(disclaimer)...

but if I were you I would cross Kouros off your list......it is one of the unsafest blind buys anyone can make....let alone a highschool student...i think you might feel that it is a bit 'older' for you even if you find it ok......

however, Body Kouros(totally different scent) is a great, great buy for the winter/spring time and i believe is a very safe buy.....

Rochas is good safe bet......If i were you i would decide between Rochas and Body Kouros...I'm leaning a bit towards Body kouros though...

but from your choices alone, i would go with Rochas.
    k, changed kouros to body kouros. Anyway, what's your reasoning?

gza, I'm 18 years old. I hated Body Kouros. It's disgusting.

A rule of thumb is that there is no such thing as a safe blind buy. It's imperative that you go out and sample colognes before you buy them. I can safely tell you what qualities they each possess, but I can also tell you how it might offend you and you may not like it due to certain reasons.

I'm not trying to put your efforts down; I'll help you find the right scent for you, I just don't want to see you make the mistake of buying a bottle of cologne and finding you don't like it.

First, can you tell us what you like in a cologne?

k, changed kouros to body kouros. Anyway, what's your reasoning?
    well....ask any veteran of basenotes and they will tell you that Kouros is incredibly strong scent that is described as an "80's scent"....which means it has very strong, in your face quality which might not suit you at all....especially if you dont like the smell......its also very, very sweet and can be cloying on the wrong skin....

Body Kouros on the other hand is quite different......its lighter with sweet undertones that are much more subtle and I guess....sexy....i actually wore it today(perfect for the cold weather) and had like 5 different people ask me about it...

Rochas(is owned by my friend) and he wears it out constantly.....but its a good, sweet, 'younger' smell....to me there is almost a hinge of cotton candy added to the vanilla notes but it doesnt come across in any way as feminine........and he always gets compliments as well...

so in my belief you'd be served well by either one and i think you would like both.....which one will interact better with your skin is another story.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    gza, I'm 18 years old. I hated Body Kouros. It's disgusting.

A rule of thumb is that there is no such thing as a safe blind buy. It's imperative that you go out and sample colognes before you buy them. I can safely tell you what qualities they each possess, but I can also tell you how it might offend you and you may not like it due to certain reasons.

I'm not trying to put your efforts down; I'll help you find the right scent for you, I just don't want to see you make the mistake of buying a bottle of cologne and finding you don't like it.

First, can you tell us what you like in a cologne?
    now i'm curious....why did you hate body kouros?.....to be honest, i'm not into gourmand fragrances at all...and body kouros had undertones of chocolate/vanilla that i actually found appealing .....
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 4th January 2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

how's the sillage/longevity for the 2 you recommend? thanks for the response btw.

Body Kouros has a really really flat opening. It's so dreary and monotone, it's nothing but poorly done, cheap eucalyptus. It's like drinking a flat soda that's been in the sunlight for two days. It was horrendous... I've actually tried BK 3 times and I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll have to try it again though, just to keep an open mind.

how's the sillage/longevity for the 2 you recommend? thanks for the response btw.
    rochas has the stronger sillage probably.....though body kouros smells better to me.....as far as longevity i would say it is about equal.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 4th January 2008 at 02:27 AM.

how long would that be? I'd like something that could last the whole day at school (~8 hour) without fading a lot like my cool water does.
    Last edited by gza; 4th January 2008 at 02:41 AM.

how long would that be? I'd like something that could last the whole day at school (~8 hour) without fading a lot like my cool water does.
    well, if you can you can keep the bottle with you and refresh every 4 hours or so....i'd say longevity wise on me body kouros went strong for about 6 hours.....

whats good for that length of time then? lol

None of these are safe buys... But I could you go to a mall or something and try D&G first at least! It's a nice scent, but a little dated, yet I still love how it smells after about 1/2 hour!

Kouros... no way... smell it first!

Rochas - don't know because I never could find it locally. Yet, based on much of what I have read and smelled, why not Jaipur PH? While I don't like these kind of scents so much, Jaipur is quite interesting! Jaipur can be found at most anchor stores in the malls.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Hi GZA , If it sillage and longetivity you want get .... KOUROS ... it won't let you down .
    As for its clonal incarnations that followed hmmm .. the jury's out (( my opinion is that the marketing guru's at YSL tried cashing in on the name ))
    Anyway Beware !! Just spray KOUROS lightly or use the mist application if you want it to be mild but still there at the end of the day ... Need to piss some freinds off just apply it liberally !! .. Its a love or hate scent .. So have a spritz sometime if you havn't already .
    Do let us know which one you decide to buy .

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    None of these are safe buys... But I could you go to a mall or something and try D&G first at least! It's a nice scent, but a little dated, yet I still love how it smells after about 1/2 hour!

Kouros... no way... smell it first!

Rochas - don't know because I never could find it locally. Yet, based on much of what I have read and smelled, why not Jaipur PH? While I don't like these kind of scents so much, Jaipur is quite interesting! Jaipur can be found at most anchor stores in the malls.

not kouros....he changed it to Body Kouros.....as far as Rochas, it is available in most Sephoras....and so is D&G....testing it first would be the wisest choice....but out of the ones he mentioned i dont think he can go wrong with rochas or body kouros.....

This is an excellent description of Body Kouros...flat opening. And if the opening is flat, chances are that it will stay flat throughout the drydown. And it does. I honestly don't know what to do with my bottle, it's so thoroughly uninspiring.

Go to your local Sephora, they should have all three.

IMHO, the only safe buys are citrus/fruity (Clinique Happy), aquatic/marine (Sean John Unforgivable, Acqua di Gio), or soapy (Mugler Cologne, Gendarme).

d and g...all the way...its a lady killer...in a good way