Code of Conduct

Default Buying minis a good way of starting a collection?

Has anyone here done this, or do you usually purchase the full size bottles of only fragrances that you love?

Another motivating factor for me, is those teensy bottles are just cute beyond words!!! I bought Baby Doll as my first fragrance when I was sixteen and the sales lady gave me a mini to take home as well. I don't think the fragrance is any good now, but I still kept the bottle because it was just too cute!

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buying minis a good way of starting a collection?

Hi sunshowers and welcome!

Minis are a good way to try a new scent in a portable and very collectible manner.
    But be warned, collecting these beauties can become highly addictive!
    Here are some pictures of a portion of the mini's and perfume solids we accrued over a few years...

Whoa, Demetri, that's quite the photographic display! I'm going to have scroll back and see how many bottles I can identify.

Sunshowers, that's a great way to start. You're in danger of getting hooked on fragrance sniffing and shopping and most of us can't afford full bottles of everything. (not to mention how wasteful that would be). Also samples are a great way to go, too. Good luck and happy sniffing!
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Post Thanks / Like

I like to try to get a mini of every full bottle I have. I display these on a dresser since I keep my full-size bottles tucked away from light and heat in a mini fridg.

I will also order a mini prior to a full bottle purchase if I'm still undecided after a couple samples. Even if I decide not to add the full bottle to my collection, I still have a new mini. Here's a pic: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hp?t=191137#78

Oh my, Dimitri! What an incredible collection!!! It's so beautiful!

Where do you recommend buying miniatures from?

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sunshowers!
    Well, in our case, my wife, sister, mum and I were fortunate to all be working in the industry, so when a new scent was released we'd often be given one by our company.
    The rest of them we've found cheap at chemists, or in small mini gift coffrets at airports and so on. Each time we travel we like to get some duty free.
    A few old ones have been found in antique stores also.

Another great place is at flea-markets, where we've found VERY rare mini's, and also a lot of new ones. 95% of the bottles we have still contain the juice. What started out as being an innocent collection has now turned into a mania. I think at last count we had around 500 - 600. Where we might have started out using them to sample the fragrance, we really collect them now for their aesthetic value.

And, just as a case of interest... I do have several favourites... one of which you can see in the last photo top right, between the POLICE and Hermés EdOV bottles. Its a 1997 Xmas release of Gaultier's "Le Male", packaged in a plastic shrink-wrapped Russian Babushka doll. Its never been opened, as doing so would split the plastic seal which depicts Gaultier himself as a cartoon character.
    Apparently theres a ladies version of this out there too, but it has eluded us for years!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 2nd December 2007 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Dmitri wow what an amazing collection! and it's all color coordinated!

have you guys seen the colection of that woman in germany? a lot of gaultiers. amazing. i think she has the babushka gaultier for women. let me look for the link, hold on.
    --------------------------------------
    here it is. click on *my collection* on the left, and 2005

http://www.parfum-flacon.at/
    --------------------------------------
    and sunshowers, here's a site that sells nothing but minis.

http://www.parfumflacons.com/

you might get better prices at other online discount sites so shop around.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 2nd December 2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

WOW Miakulpa! That is a site to behold indeed!! I did spy the ladies babushka (and a great deal more as well)! Her mirrored cabinets are crazy!
    Theres been more than a few dollars thrown at that lot, thats for sure!
    Thanks for the link and the eye-candy!

Post Thanks / Like

my pleasure, dmitri. can you imagine living in that perfume museum? I love the TV right in the middle of the mirrored wall cabinets! it looks like she's living in the middle of a retail store.

and you and your wife's collection is certainly a pleasure for the eye as well. I bet to the nose also.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Post Thanks / Like

perfume flacons has a great selection but ..um..interesting customer service.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...by "interesting" do you mean none?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    have you guys seen the colection of that woman in germany?
    O...OH MY GOD

I just saw a link for theperfumedcourt.com in another thread. The decants are so reasonably priced, but I don't think I could do without the gorgeous bottles! Do you ever buy the bottle and then use decants to refill them as they run out?

I think a part of my soul died a little when I saw that German woman's perfume collection. I ASPIRE to have a collection like that!

Back on topic though, I think miniatures are a great way to collect. Most of my bottles are miniatures-- and they're so darn cute! eBay is one of my main suppliers, although I do manage to find them at local chemists and from department stores from time to time.

*gratuitous self-plug* I also have some for sale in the link below

So does anyone know of a good online retailer of minis?
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chloefpuff View Post
    So does anyone know of a good online retailer of minis?
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    and sunshowers, here's a site that sells nothing but minis.

http://www.parfumflacons.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    ... theperfumedcourt.com ...
    .... The decants are so reasonably priced...

Wow. I think that's a first for basenotes.

Um... yes, I just did the math and realized that I'm a dumbo. I came back to this thread to delete my post hoping no one noticed! But alas... you beat me to it.

Hehe... oops.

Post Thanks / Like

oh i was just affectionately teasing you. there are entire threads around about their prices. i'll delete my posts if you like.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 3rd December 2007 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahrarah View Post
    I think a part of my soul died a little when I saw that German woman's perfume collection. I ASPIRE to have a collection like that!

Back on topic though, I think miniatures are a great way to collect. Most of my bottles are miniatures-- and they're so darn cute! eBay is one of my main suppliers, although I do manage to find them at local chemists and from department stores from time to time.

*gratuitous self-plug* I also have some for sale in the link below
    Is it safe to buy fragrances from ebay? I've read that GIT isn't safe to buy from ebay, but are most other frags safe from ebay? Thanks (not trying to hi-jack the thread) :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    Is it safe to buy fragrances from ebay? I've read that GIT isn't safe to buy from ebay, but are most other frags safe from ebay? Thanks (not trying to hi-jack the thread) :-)
    be careful of Chanels and Creeds that are NIB. use caution at all times is a good idea

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased three minis off Ebay, two were okay and one was stale. No refund, so buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    It really varies from seller to seller. To make sure I don't get ripped off, I look into the seller's history; if any of their negative feedback mentions 'off' or counterfeit bottles, I don't buy from them. If a Basenotes member has had a bad experience with them, I don't buy from them. If I find one that I think I could be satisfied buying from, I buy one perfume from them-- only one. If that perfume is bad (ie; fake or rancid) then I take it as a lesson and don't buy from them again. If the perfume is fine, then I will certainly buy from them again, even in large quantities. Most sellers are happy to talk to you about your concerns, and if they're not then they're probably selling fakes and they know it.

Hope this helps everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible display Dimitri! The colour-clustering is pure eye candy. I also like to buy minis of perfumes I own so that I can store the bottles in cool dark place. Plus they're adorable

To return to the original topic;
    i first started out my collection with full sized bottles, but after a few purchases I realized they were extremely rough on the pocket, plus with so many there was no way I would ever finish using them all. So I decided to 'cull' my collection - kept a few of those I loved, got rid of those I could and switched over to buying minis.

Now I will only buy minis, unless I discover something that I absolutely utterly love to bits, and even then I'll only buy a full bottle if my usage justifies it. Case in point - I have a PE mini, but it's pretty potent so I only use a few drops at a time. After about half a year I still have 3/4 of the 5ml mini left so I figure I don't really need a full sized one.
    Can get (mostly mass market) miniatures on the cheap, inquire within. Will ship worldwide at cost.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Has anyone here done this, or do you usually purchase the full size bottles of only fragrances that you love?

Another motivating factor for me, is those teensy bottles are just cute beyond words!!! I bought Baby Doll as my first fragrance when I was sixteen and the sales lady gave me a mini to take home as well. I don't think the fragrance is any good now, but I still kept the bottle because it was just too cute!
    When I am curious about a fragrance, I typically get a sample (or a small decant), 1 to 2 mls, to determine if I like it.

IF I like it enough to want to own some, I ask myself a question: how often will I wear it? If my answer is frequent (e.g., every monday OR the month of June OR till I can't stand it anymore), then the answer is to buy a bottle. If my answer is infrequent (e.g., my birthday OR 5 random days a year OR only on Friday the 13th) then a mini is an ideal solution! In my mind it is part of being a responsible consumer not to buy and waste (although alternatives like decanting exist for those who desire to share bottles that would otherwise go largely unused).

If someone collects minis for their aesthetic charm alone what I write above doesn't really apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great photos Dimitri.

I buy minis of heavy, winter type fragrances, they'll last me a long time. Winter here in central Texas lasts only about 10-12 weeks, so I am concentrating on full bottles for summer fragrances and minis of the winter ones.

I know what you mean, I have a dollhouse and collect miniatures for it, so I am attracted to anything teensy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think minis are an excellent idea, especially if you're (like many of us here!) a compulsive buyer of frags! :-) Now that decants are no longer allowed on eBay, I'm starting to get minis for the mainstream frags as a way of testing them. (Yes, there's the Perfumed Court, but I'm among the ones who do not enjoy their prices :-\ )

I'm like Dulci. I tend to buy big bottles of fresh, "summery" frags, because I liberally apply those.

A little off topic, but after seeing those WONDERFUL pics of perfume collections, how do the rest of y'all organize your collections? My collection is still quite small, so it doesn't need organizing yet. I keep all my perfumes in their boxes and in a cabinet, away from light. (How glamorous, haha.)

But seriously, that German lady! Her collection is AMAZING!

Who is this amazing German lady that the world speaks of?

Post Thanks / Like

here it is. click on *my collection* on the left, and 2005

http://www.parfum-flacon.at/

One amazing German lady for you.