Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Tonight I was at work and the bar was getting a bit crowded as the college football game was on the TV. This older guy in a suit decided to stand by the service bar and watch the game. His cologne was VERY strong and overpowering. And very familiar.

    The other bartender couldn't stand his cologne and had to get away from it-- she's really sensitive to most fragrances (I have to only wear certain scents when I work with her-- she does like Silver Mountain Water on me though). His cologne was strong. I didn't care for it much, based on its loud sillage. But to me, though it seemed likely, it smelled a LOT like Creed's Ambre Cannelle. I looked at the guy, and I couldn't tell if he seemed like the Creed type or not. He started yelling at the TV a lot when his team started losing-- which made me think he probably WASN'T a Creed wearer.

    Honestly, I couldn't tell. Funny that I've become a fan of Ambre Canelle recently after a chance run-in with a travel size Gillette Foamy shave cream and a cheap hotel giftshop razor that cut my face to a bloody mess. I went and reaquainted myself with Ambre Cannelle and this time I loved it. However, I'll admit it does walk a very fine line, and on the other side of that line is Old Spice, Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne, and Mennen Speed Stick "Spice" deodorant.

    I actually had to go beg one of the waitresses to go ask this guy what cologne he was wearing... and twice she got up to him and chickened out. I was so mad, but I wasn't going to do it myself. Not in the middle of a full bar watching a football game of all things. She did tell me that in her opinion it was indeed, Old Spice. But dammit, it just seemed a little different to me. Sure the guy was a raging rube with a square toupee and a big red nose that looked like a strawberry. I'll never know. They all hated it, the waitresses and other people in the bar-- and they were right to hate it-- it was a big fog that got into every crevice of a person's airways. I thought it would have been fine if a thought had been given to moderation.

    I know if I ever wear Ambre Canelle anywhere, it's just going to get mistaken for Old Spice in the end.

    ----------------
    PS (that's Post Script, not Paul Sebastian), I'm wearing Ambre Canelle now, and have relaxed a bit after deciding that this guy was not wearing this wonderful creation. I don't think he was wearing Old Spice nor Ambre Canelle. For me, it was a scare though!

  2. #2
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    I swear I have read this post before...or maybe I need to get some sleep...

    eitherways, I might try layering Ambre Cannelle and Old spice tomorrow.
    -

  3. #3
    deck89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Deleted
    Last edited by deck89; 2nd December 2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    .








    .................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............
    .
    .

  4. #4
    paintrman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Miguel de Allende
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    I recently gave away my bottle of Ambre Canelle because of longevity problems. I am not kidding. I would get about an hour...tops, out of one application. I had a friend try it and she only got an hour too. I bet it's the bay leaves mixed with spices that reminds you of Old Spice.

    Top Notes: Leaves of cinnamon, pink peppercorns
    Middle: Rose, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander
    Base: Ambergris and Tonkin musk

    I have to admit that I regret giving it away. I recently discovered that Montale's Orient Extreme is very similar but with no longevity problems. In fact, I tested it the other day and could smell it for more than 24 hours.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I swear I have read this post before...or maybe I need to get some sleep...

    eitherways, I might try layering Ambre Cannelle and Old spice tomorrow.
    Well, maybe this happened to me before also and I forgot about it, who knows-- sometimes my days do tend to repeat themselves. Of course I'd feel like a real moron... You may be exactly right though-- I do remember another time somebody came into my bar wearing something I thought was Ambre Cannelle...

    It could have been a similar scenario with a different scent-- I've asked waitresses to find out what a person is wearing several times. Wait, I think I once thought somebody was wearing Creed Green Valley and it was in fact Stetson Black-- maybe that's the post you're thinking of.

    I need to get some sleep too!

    On the subject of Ambre Cannelle-- after retesting it, it's different than what that guy was wearing. Ambre Canelle does start a bit powdery, but goes through quite an evolution.

  6. #6
    A Site For Sore Eyes

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    17,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Tonight I was at work and the bar was getting a bit crowded as the college football game was on the TV. This older guy in a suit decided to stand by the service bar and watch the game. His cologne was VERY strong and overpowering. And very familiar.

    The other bartender couldn't stand his cologne and had to get away from it-- she's really sensitive to most fragrances (I have to only wear certain scents when I work with her-- she does like Silver Mountain Water on me though). His cologne was strong. I didn't care for it much, based on its loud sillage. But to me, though it seemed likely, it smelled a LOT like Creed's Ambre Cannelle. I looked at the guy, and I couldn't tell if he seemed like the Creed type or not. He started yelling at the TV a lot when his team started losing-- which made me think he probably WASN'T a Creed wearer.

    Honestly, I couldn't tell. Funny that I've become a fan of Ambre Canelle recently after a chance run-in with a travel size Gillette Foamy shave cream and a cheap hotel giftshop razor that cut my face to a bloody mess. I went and reaquainted myself with Ambre Cannelle and this time I loved it. However, I'll admit it does walk a very fine line, and on the other side of that line is Old Spice, Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne, and Mennen Speed Stick "Spice" deodorant.

    I actually had to go beg one of the waitresses to go ask this guy what cologne he was wearing... and twice she got up to him and chickened out. I was so mad, but I wasn't going to do it myself. Not in the middle of a full bar watching a football game of all things. She did tell me that in her opinion it was indeed, Old Spice. But dammit, it just seemed a little different to me. Sure the guy was a raging rube with a square toupee and a big red nose that looked like a strawberry. I'll never know. They all hated it, the waitresses and other people in the bar-- and they were right to hate it-- it was a big fog that got into every crevice of a person's airways. I thought it would have been fine if a thought had been given to moderation.

    I know if I ever wear Ambre Canelle anywhere, it's just going to get mistaken for Old Spice in the end.

    ----------------
    PS (that's Post Script, not Paul Sebastian), I'm wearing Ambre Canelle now, and have relaxed a bit after deciding that this guy was not wearing this wonderful creation. I don't think he was wearing Old Spice nor Ambre Canelle. For me, it was a scare though!
    IndieGuy you should have just walked up to him and asked my cousin about his 'sillage'.

    As top regional salesman for a Missouri company that sells, among other items, urinal blocks (cakes), he will on occasion carry a few samples his coat jacket inside pocket---you never know when a potential customer will present a need. And so as not to compete with enjoyment of that best selling item, chick magnet cousin Wilbur wears no fragrance whatsoever.

    BTW, he has an appointment with a plastic surgeon after the New Year for that long needed rhinoplasty/hair plug surgery.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

  7. #7
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    He started yelling at the TV a lot when his team started losing-- which made me think he probably WASN'T a Creed wearer.
    You just made my day, buddy! What a nice affirmation.

    I'm glad you eventually decided that it wasn't Ambre Canelle. AC CAN be insane for the wearer and everyone around...WAY too loud and creeping, IF overapplied. I actually dominated an Old Navy the first time I wore Ambre Canelle, by accident. I used two or three sprays. I will NEVER use any more than ONE spray of this at a time again!

    I consider AC to be among the best fougeres I've tried, and it is a little-discussed Creed that needs more hype! Fans of Baie de Genievre might appreciate it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  8. #8
    paintrman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Miguel de Allende
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    It's funny how scents behave differently on different people. On me, AC is tame and disappears in an hour. I tried about 6 or 7 sprays even spraying on my clothes and didn't get any better longevity or sillage. Maybe it was an older bottle (I got it on Ebay) and it was a tester bottle. I am still thinking that I shouldn't have given my bottle away.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    I get about 12 hours from AC on just two squirts when wearing a long sleeve shirt.

  10. #10

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    I've been searching in vain for my AC decant...it vanished without a trace.

    Oodles and oodles of ambergris...it's really good stuff.
    Last edited by knightowl; 1st February 2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Ambre Canelle (like L'Homme Sage) is a fragrance that I am still trying to find if I love or hate.

    It's so...strange. I can't tell whether the floral/spice combo is off putting or unique. I have tried it always at nighttime, so I'm thinking next time I give it a full wearing I'll wear it in the daytime to see if there's any difference.

    Interesting Kelly - I have a sample of Orient Extreme. Perhaps I'll test these side by side also. I don't remember OE smelling like AC at all.

  12. #12

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    What does it matter if everyone thinks it's Old Spice? It's about your own enjoyment, right? Hell, if I paid $200 for Old Spice, I may just be inclined to enjoy it. However, I don't think I would ever wear Old Spice, or it's derivative, Ambre Canelle.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 1st February 2008 at 03:10 PM.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    I wore Ambre Canelle this morning, first thing before I slipped on my sotd.

    I 'got' the Old Spice association almost immediately when I applied it. It, of course, smells like a much higher quality and deeper version (Old Spice Eau de Parfum??) but the bay leaf in the mix (as Kelly mentioned above) is I think what triggers the olfactory association.

    I can't imagine owning a bottle of this. I am interested in testing it side-by-side with Orient Extreme, though...

  14. #14
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore Ambre Canelle this morning, first thing before I slipped on my sotd.

    I 'got' the Old Spice association almost immediately when I applied it. It, of course, smells like a much higher quality and deeper version (Old Spice Eau de Parfum??) but the bay leaf in the mix (as Kelly mentioned above) is I think what triggers the olfactory association.

    I can't imagine owning a bottle of this. I am interested in testing it side-by-side with Orient Extreme, though...
    I never really got the Old Spice association. How about comparisons to Youth Dew and Silver Factory?
    -

  15. #15

    TwoRoads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    I am constantly amazed by the ingenuity and free-associative abilities of my fellow Basenoters.

    Although I knew that Ambre Cannelle and Old Spice are both considered classical Soft Oriental fragrances, I never considered that they would bear more than an ambery resemblance to each other.

    About 30 minutes ago, I put Ambre Cannelle on my left forearm and Old Spice on my right.

    After five minutes, I asked my wife to smell each arm - without prodding, without knowing what fragrances I had on and without knowing what my question would be - she said they smell the same! Her nose is far more developed than mine and I trust her opinions completely. She was shocked when I told her which scents we were comparing. I think "No Way" accurately covers her reaction!

    Now that we are a little further along, the scents are starting to separate slightly - they are still going in the same direction, but now they are just holding hands.

    Good observations Indie_Guy and everyone else!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I thought it was Ambre Cannelle, they thought it was Old Spice...

    Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I have to admit that I regret giving it away. I recently discovered that Montale's Orient Extreme is very similar but with no longevity problems. In fact, I tested it the other day and could smell it for more than 24 hours.
    Ok, Kelly - so I am wearing Ambre Canelle on my left arm and Orient Extreme (thanks Robbie for the sample) on my right. It's been a couple hours and I cannot agree with you, I really don't see the similarity at all.

    The AC does that spicy, dry top note that later on transition into a spice/ambergris base. As I said above, Old Spice Eau de Parfum all the way!

    The Orient Extreme starts out so much more 'oriental' in nature - spicy, slight salty-aldehyde note diffuses like Opium or one of those rather well blended Neil Morris scents (Quest, I think is the 'oriental' one). The spices are there, but they're neatly folded into the oriental base and musk. I don't get any pronounced bay leaf at all. And of course, there's no ambergris in OE.

    Clearly I prefer the OE over the AC.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I never really got the Old Spice association. How about comparisons to Youth Dew and Silver Factory?
    You think YD smells like SF? Really zz?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th February 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Similar Threads

  1. A question about Old Spice!
    By limboleo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th July 2008, 02:14 PM
  2. The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)
    By moondeva in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 20th March 2007, 10:00 PM
  3. Tested Ambre Sultan during Mardi Gras
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th February 2007, 11:48 PM
  4. REVIEW: Armani Prive Ambre Soie
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th September 2005, 02:30 PM
  5. Ambre Sultan - "Was it good for you?"
    By MJH in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 15th July 2005, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •