Code of Conduct

Default To buy Chene or not to buy Chene?

I see that Barney's carries this. I'm not sure if it can be purchased elsewhere. While I'm thinking of it, can Chergui be purchased anywhere other than directly from Serge Lutens? Thanks.

Default Re: To buy Chene or not to buy Chene?

Chene is this year's autumnal limited edition export scent.

Chergui is available here in the UK....

http://www.escentual.com/cgi-bin/Esc.../Catalog/10107

It's available as a limited edition export. One shipment and that's it. If it's a popular one like Fumerie Turque or Chergui, it'll be bought out shortly, and then you'd be paying $150+ for a new one on ebay. Or if it's less popular you might still find it at a few retailers for the next couple of years.

If you can get Chergui at cost from exscentual do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    I see that Barney's carries this. I'm not sure if it can be purchased elsewhere. While I'm thinking of it, can Chergui be purchased anywhere other than directly from Serge Lutens? Thanks.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 2nd December 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Yes, it's there, Prince, but if you try to purchase you'll see a message that it's out of stock. I had to buy my replacement bottle in Paris...
    I hope that Chene will be showing up quickly over here. Can't wait to smell it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thanks LiB. I only looked, I didn't bother clicking on the buy button.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Chergui (and Fumerie Turque) are both still available from Barneys. I got mine at the NYC store a couple of months ago and saw they are still there when I went to buy Chene. You can't order them online, but you can give them a call and buy over the phone (same goes for the two other exclusives at Bergdorf.

Chene is a very interesting scent. It smells like a woodworker's shop. I smell sawdust and tree sap. Actually, this smells like a freshly cut plank of wood. This is a must have!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Chene is a very interesting scent. It smells like a woodworker's shop. I smell sawdust and tree sap. Actually, this smells like a freshly cut plank of wood. This is a must have!
    That is my problem with Chene. I could see it/use it as a pleasant room fragrance but not sure I want to smell like my Martin acoustic guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    That is my problem with Chene. I could see it/use it as a pleasant room fragrance but not sure I want to smell like my Martin acoustic guitar.
    I agree, while I admire the artistry, I'm not sure if smelling like a plank of wood is so interesting. To me, Miel de Bois is the keeper.

If you love woods, as I do, then Chene is a dream scent. If you do not love woods, especially oak, I would pass on it. It isn't a one-dimensional scent, but it is an exploration of a theme, and there is no doubt who is the star.

Off-Scenter

I bought a bottle of Chene after wearing a sample for just one day. I don't normally do such things, but this scent really works for me. It's raw, potent, and individual, and its not the sweet, sticky dessert I get from Arabie, Miel de Bois, Un Bois Vanille, Datura Noir, Chergui, Rousse, or any number of other Lutens scents. I certainly advocate sampling the stuff while it's still available in the North American market.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Yes, it's there, Prince, but if you try to purchase you'll see a message that it's out of stock. I had to buy my replacement bottle in Paris...
    I hope that Chene will be showing up quickly over here. Can't wait to smell it
    I bought my belly bottle of Chêne in Paris the last year and luv it.
    Btw, Lady in Black, I don't know where are you located but Chêne seems to be widely available at Rinascente in Milan...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Btw, Lady in Black, I don't know where are you located but Chêne seems to be widely available at Rinascente in Milan...
    Wow, Mags, thanks for the heads up! That's where I am located also , although it's a store I usually avoid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Re: To buy Chene or not to buy Chene?

I also recommend you sample it. I have a bottle and wear it occasionally - especially good in cool weather. Chene is such a warm and sensuous wood fragrance but I am surprised that I get bored with it easily. Is it too much of a good thing? It starts out so warm and rich and stays that way all through. But I miss more development in the fragrance. I wish it turned into a leather at the drydown - it needs some development to be used more often. As it is, the fragrance is a wonderful wood harmony with little development. But, sometimes this is exactly what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Louslice View Post
    If you love woods, as I do, then Chene is a dream scent. If you do not love woods, especially oak, I would pass on it. It isn't a one-dimensional scent, but it is an exploration of a theme, and there is no doubt who is the star.
    Ditto your thoughts. Sometimes just smelling like wood is fun.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Ever since I have joined Basenotes I have been looking for a scent like this. A few reviews (and posts) led me to believe that I could find my holy grail 'plank-o-wood' in Sequoia by CdG, Bois du Portugal by Creed and Cedre by Serge. Well, I didn't. Neither of those scents smell like a plank of wood to me (although Sequoia smells wonderful on my boyfriend so I own this, but it aint 'plank-o-wood'-y).

So, Cedre has gotten my attention.

Chene is certainly an interesting scent but the boozy note (probably tree sap) ruins it for me. Actually, a few nights ago, I ended up dancing with this woman who was more drunk than I initially thought - she completely reeked of rum and coke, which I found an absolute turn-off! Wearing Chene would leave me smelling like a drunkard (but instead of rum and coke, I'd be smelling of rum and wood).

As stated by other people this is pretty much all about wood(oak) but it is absolutely brilliant for taking the sweetness out of other Lutens fragrances particularly chergui which it layers superbly with and i've also good good results layering it with Montale's Attar and Domenico Caraceni's 1913 edt in fact i would say that it adds a bit more weight to most fragrances of the spicey rose type.