Code of Conduct

Default Reviews on this Site!!!

I've been reading basenotes for almost a year now and I have to say, there have been a lot of entertaining compositions in the review section. You guys *really* throw some spirit into them! I was showing my boss this site last week and he truly enjoyed himself reading some of the reviews. He and I laughed up a storm. Other reviews are actually touching, especially when someone mentions how a scent reminds them of someone who has passed away.

Love 'em or hate 'em, colognes (and perfumes) really have the power to take us back in time to when we used to wear them. I think they are a fantastic means of nostalgia!

This evening I was researching the original Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur and I have to say, the review by "colormechris" takes the crown for the best one I've read. Check it out...it's the second one down (I don't think I can link directly to reviews). One word....WOW.

I'd be curious to know what reviews are some of your guy's favorites.

If there is another thread similar to this idea, please point me to it. I couldn't find one.

Thanks!
    Last edited by atrac; 3rd December 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Default Re: Reviews on this Site!!!

I like this review of Dzing! by Squeezeweasel (bolding is for emphasis):

I love this. It opens with hay and sawdust with an animalic note, like a bowl of old straw with a small, damp cat perched on top of it. Dry-down is a gorgeous, furry, leathery, grassy dryness. It's strangely wearable, and very beautiful.
    And this review of Bigarade Concentrée by the white marmoset:

a cab driver eats an orange
    There are many others I have chuckled over but these are the two I could remember enough of to search for.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote:
    "I love this. It opens with hay and sawdust with an animalic note, like a bowl of old straw with a small, damp cat perched on top of it. Dry-down is a gorgeous, furry, leathery, grassy dryness. It's strangely wearable, and very beautiful"

That's it. I'm reporting this review to PETA...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

These are absolute classics ....

foetidus on Habit Rouge:
    "... Cloying sweet. On my skin the vanilla overwhelms every thing else if there is anything else. Right now Iím choking from the sweetness of one spray. Itís grabbing my throat now. Uurrrhg. Death by vanilla."

moon_fish on Antaeus:
    "Two sprays more - and your neighbours in office would suffocate!.. Three more - and flies would die!.. If you`re not The Boss (well, bad joke), better spray it once on your back. Or use walk-through method. Once."

... I have seen many others.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Three reviews by Naed_Nitram

JHL by Aramis

It is rumoured that the Baron de Charlus was once observed strolling through the Faubourg Saint Germain wearing absolutely nothing except a liberal application of JHL cologne. Interrogated by a curious policeman concerning his state of undress, the Baron replied haughtily: 'My good fellow, I am far from being undressed! Since I am wearing JHL by Aramis, one of the finest creations in the whole history of human endeavour, I consider myself not merely to be adequately adorned but to be positively garbed in glory! Now be off with you and about your business or I shall complain to your superiors!'

13 November 2004

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Out of the old man's grumblings and rumblings, out of the dry, crusty sweat of his urine-stained trousers, out of the blunt reek of ammonia oozing from his armpits, out of the assembled smell of cats, dogs and hamsters he keeps locked up in his fetid kitchen with the closed windows, there rises up this milk of horror - they call it Route du Vetiver.

19 February 2005

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

Olive Oyl gave this to Popeye as a present. Carnations wrapped in old leather. 'Who needs it, Toots?' he cried, 'they just don't fits together at all! they just don't fits! I've had all I can stands, I cain't stands no more!'

20 May 2006
    Last edited by kbe; 5th December 2007 at 11:51 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

To see all Nead_Nitram's reviews.. http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/3408

Cool Re: Reviews on this Site!!!

Three of my favorite Naed Nitram reviews:

Anucci Man by Anucci

" Definitely a Parisian dandy's scent. Baudelaire could have written a poem about it. But it does not have the same obvious aura of sheer decadence and sensuality that a dandy's scent like Sybaris by Puig has. By comparison, Anucci is almost fastidious: sweet, flowery, rich, delicate, and pervaded by what someone called an unusual amaretto note. Very unique, but too sweet and strange for many men. A mood scent. Some women like to wear it. But, then again, according to reviews on certain sites (less dignified than the estimable Basenotes) Anucci sometimes functions as a babe magnet or damsel drooler or, even more poetically, as a cutecake crumbler. Possibly also worn by foppish gamblers in Dodge City in the 1870s (imported from Paris, of course). "

The Dreamer by Versace

" One of the briefest but most memorable lectures that the Baron de Charlus delivered to the Society of Perfumes in Paris concerned the much praised Versace Dreamer. 'Non!' he thundered,raising his hands dramatically to the heavens. 'Non!' he declared again, this time with his voice ascending to a falsetto shriek. 'And again, non!' he announced a third time, his voice descending to a barely audible growl. 'Messieurs and mesdames, abjure this vile synthetic concoction!' "

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

" The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a house guest at the Highgrove estate of Charles, Prince of Wales (or "Chaz" as we used to call him in an effort to be friendly). He gave us each a bottle of Creed's Green Irish Tweed.
    "One would like to know, de Charlus," said the Prince, "whether one approves of this fragrance which one has presented to one." "My dear Chaz," I replied wearily, "I fear that this blatant scent has very little to recommend it. When you consider the heights to which the House of Creed occasionally rises - I speak of Vintage Tabarome, Baie de Genievre, Acier Aluminium, Chevrefeuille Original, even of Cuir de Russie and Green Valley - then Green Irish Tweed groans with banality by comparison. It is obvious, vulgar and boring."
    My words, alas, were wasted on the Prince, since he had already wandered off in the middle of my discourse to chat to his plants, embrace his lady wife, open a couple of factories, don a Rear-Admiral's uniform, and design at least three model villages, pausing only to inform everyone that the Baron de Charlus had very poor taste in scent.' "

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Remembered another one:

cedarmoth, talking about Dzing!

Smells like the neatly folded costume of a retired clown in an old alligator suitcase.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Vibert's:

If you've ever wondered what it would be like to be bludgeoned with a monster iris root...
    Is what made me order a sample of Iris Bleu Gris.

Found another one:

The door opens on a dusky, blue-violet car. Anise is in control of the steering wheel. Violet is sitting quietly on the passenger's side. Tonka and Vanilla are overflowing from the back seat.
    Anise drives very fast. Wowee! Florals are flying past the windows in a glorious blur of color.
    We stop and pick up one of my favorites, Heliotrope, with its elusive PlayDoh note.
    He has been on the road for awhile and hasn't bathed. His aroma is filling the car. Violet doesn't approve of picking up hitchhikers, especially big, strong ones.
    "I am starting to feel faint, she says."
    It is getting dark, and soon nobody can see anything, but the smells are still whizzing by, blowing in the windows as we drive full-strength, full-speed ahead.
    L'Heure Bleue is one of the world's most exciting scents. Enigmatic and thought-provoking, it dares you to formulate a strong opinion of it. Can anyone say, "Oh, it's O.K. but it's kind of blah," or "I don't
    remember if I tried that one?”
    Meanwhile, back at the car, Anise sees Carnation hitchiking. He pulls over.
    "No," says Violet. "Don't pick him up. There isn't any more room."
    "Aw, come on," argues Anise. "Let's do it."
    Vanilla, Tonka, and Heliotrope agree. They form a unified opinion. Violet is the odd vote, and the odd note.
    "I'm leaving," she declares. "Let me out."
    Carnation piles in. They roar down the road at full throttle, into the dusk, trailing their mingled aroma behind them.
    It is dark; it is too late to walk home. Violet cries by the side of the road.

by purplebird7 , 12 April 2007, United States

I liked the Pierre Cardin review, but....

am I mistaken, or does the guy turn gay in the end? He is smoking a joint behind the roller rink, and his buddy blows smoke into his mouth...which turns into making out, and he gives up on the girl he wanted to see. WTF?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I liked the Pierre Cardin review, but....

am I mistaken, or does the guy turn gay in the end? He is smoking a joint behind the roller rink, and his buddy blows smoke into his mouth...which turns into making out, and he gives up on the girl he wanted to see. WTF?
    Yep, he turned gay.