Code of Conduct

Default Shaving....need help

So I am going to start shaving with a DE razor, probably a safety one first, something similar to this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic...6660268&sr=8-3

What I'm looking for is some help. There is nothing here close that I can buy the necessary tools. I have some gift cards to Amazon that I think I'll use to start shaving like this. Can I get some links on what I need to buy? Razor, cream, bowl, brush, pre-shave oil, etc?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks guys. :-)

Default Re: Shaving....need help

I recommend that you spend some time reading the reviews on the shaving boards:

www.badgerandblade.com
    www.shavemyface.com
    www.theshaveden.com

You will find there are so many different products and it is hard to choose. There is some personal variation in preference, but some products are highly esteemed by many shavers. Have a good read through before you make any purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by aljinnie View Post
    I recommend that you spend some time reading the reviews on the shaving boards:

www.badgerandblade.com
    www.shavemyface.com
    www.theshaveden.com

You will find there are so many different products and it is hard to choose. There is some personal variation in preference, but some products are highly esteemed by many shavers. Have a good read through before you make any purchases.
    You just opened a whole new can of worms for this guy. Now his funds for Basenotes are going to be cut back...

I'll also suggest you look into www.straightrazorplace.com, when you spend enough time around the DE hangouts, you're gonna get the itch to try straight
    --------------------------------------
    If you're keen on the DEs, try the Merkur Futur. It's the acquisition I always wanted but never got to.
    Last edited by lasta; 3rd December 2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Futur is my favourite razor (hey, I only own 6). I just love the size, weight and feel of it.

Bin that Fusion gel and whip up some Penhaligon's Castile shaving cream with an Edwin Jagger silvertip badger brush and then slice off those whiskers........morning luxury.

Are you at all tempted by trying straight razors?

It's been a while since I frequented the shaving sites but I've had a fair bit of practice with honing. If you ever want to jump to the other side, I can give you the same sharpening services offered on SRP for free.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Are you at all tempted by trying straight razors?

It's been a while since I frequented the shaving sites but I've had a fair bit of practice with honing. If you ever want to jump to the other side, I can give you the same sharpening services offered on SRP for free.

I never fancied the straight razor, too much work honing and stropping. I do have a shavette which uses a snapped DE blade and use it for shaping my facial hair. I did try it for shaving my whole face a few times but I found it took much longer and I got a few nicks on the lower neck. I don't bother anymore as I am so much enjoying DE shaving I don't see any advantage from the straights.

The shavette stuff nick like a cheese grater, I started on that. A real straight is much safer.

Well, I bought a Futur. I also bought a trial pack of blades to go with it, along with badger hair brush ($35 on Amazon). As for cream, I bought Proraso Eucalyptus, Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado, and Truefit and Hill lather as well. I haven't got to use them yet, but I'll let you all know how it goes when I do!!

I don't know if I should congratulate you or warn you. When I caught the razor buzz, I took a little while off from Basenotes.

Good news is, once you get the shaving down pat, you'll come back here. There's alot more to smelling good that there is to shaving.

I think I can do both!!!! I'm really into fragrances right now and the desire to look my best has driven me to want to look my best, thus the razor buzz. I've watched the series of Youtube videos so I don't know how much time I'll spend on the razor forums, unless I have problems. Thanks though....I'm excited to try.