Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Luckyscent sample suggestions

Continuing my sniffing education in the new world (to me) of niche frags - I spent a few hours yesterday reading descriptions of samples offered by luckyscents. Am now totally confused

I already have samples of SL's and MPG's, and a wonderful sample sniff pack from Renee of a variety of frags but am bewildered by the plethora of perfumers and scents that are available, and would like to experiment with new offerings - or at least new to my nose, to expand my norms. I am probably very "old-fashioned" in tastes , since I am a resolute Guerlain wearer, but am willing to try some new things.

Have decided definitely on Parfums DelRae: Amoureuse & Bois de Paradis - since I have read many interesting reviews.

and am dithering about:
    People of the Labyrinths - Amaze Parfum
    Parfums De Nicolai, Maharanih
    Anne Pliska - Eau de Parfum
    La Maison de la Vanille -Vanille Divine des Tropiques

This is based only on descriptions on their site - with a few cross-references where possible in Basenotes.

But my "dither list" is open to change - substitutions, additions and would like some guidance. Can afford to get about 10-15 samples.

The profusion of perfumers is making me dizzy!!!!

HELP
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Default Re: Luckyscent sample suggestions

Trying to sample too many at once becomes confusing. imo I order samples either with similar or complimentary notes to explore or from an individual line, then move on to the next. That way I am not all over the place from each day to the next. Does that make sense?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Let me help in this way: Remove Pliska from your list. I can send you some cuz Musse gave me a generous decant. And I've wanted to send you a sample of Macchia Mediterranea ever since seeing pix of your great old house. MM smells like an old house's pantry to me. Do you see anything else from my wardrobe of interest to you?

You do know about all the fragrance reviews at makeupalley.com, too, yes?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Let me help in this way: Remove Pliska from your list. I can send you some cuz Musse gave me a generous decant. And I've wanted to send you a sample of Macchia Mediterranea ever since seeing pix of your great old house. MM smells like an old house's pantry to me. Do you see anything else from my wardrobe of interest to you?

You do know about all the fragrance reviews at makeupalley.com, too, yes?

Thanks Joy! Will take a peek at your wardrobe and please look at mine too if anything interests you. I now have the proper tools to make decants, thanks to encouragement from Renee. Old house pantry sounds great (my pantry just got the new roof on today)

I do read the reviews on MUA from time to time - but find many of them less than useful - probably since many of the young members describe things as “old lady stinky” - lol - and many of the scents so described are my favs. Have to admit that I find other reviewers more precise.

I'm happily opening packages that arrived today - the last of my Xmas gifts from DH. Yippeeeeee. Am going to have a deliciously scented holiday and will spend my month off from school in an orgy of sniffing.

Apres l'Ondee arrived from Scent Direct – surprise – because it was out of stock for a while.

SL Datura Noir arrived from Beauty Habit, with a nice note and a bunch of samples.
    the samples are (question mark after ones I’ve never heard of):

Regina Harris Frankincense Myrrh Rose Maroc Perfume oil (?)
    Hazel’s perfume (?)
    Cologne a L'Italienne, Institut Tres Bien (?)
    SL Sa Majeste La Rose

The other box was from Fragrance.net - MPG Bahiana, which I loved as soon as I sampled it, so too for the other bottle - MPG Fleur Des Comores.

They also included samples; one of Giorgio - which I have sniffed in Dept Stores and don't care for, and one of something called "Exceptional" (?).
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Trying to sample too many at once becomes confusing. imo I order samples either with similar or complimentary notes to explore or from an individual line, then move on to the next. That way I am not all over the place from each day to the next. Does that make sense?
    Thanks Beachroses. I think my nose works the opposite way. If they smell too much alike I get them confused. I think I need contrasts. But perhaps when my nose is better trained I'll have the ablility to make more subtle distinctions. I know that when I'm in the garden - I appreciate the variations in my roses when I do some other sniffing in between - like sweet pea, or lily.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 3rd December 2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

and skip Maharanih, I'll send you some with the Caron samples.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

What I meant by similar or complimentary was fragrances that harmonize well enough so you can wear one in the am and one in the pm or on successive days and they sort of flow. For instance, in Sept and Oct I was doing a purple flowers and roses thing.

Eau de Recolte Bleue (lavender, freesia, peach)
    Cote Bastide Iris (iris)
    Apres L'Ondee (violet)
    Roses des Bois (roses and blackberry brambles)
    Roberts Rosewater (centifolia roses)

Now, I'm exploring a particular perfume house, Parfums de Nicolai. If I like the Eau Exotique FB I bought, I'll build a small circle of fragrances around that theme, etc. I have a couple of packs of samples from them coming, I might want to do a few colognes, they all smell differently.
    Last edited by beachroses; 3rd December 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Ah - got it Beachroses

I've been exploring Carons - more of them - that do have similarites... and prior to that was doing roses

Will look into the am/pm approach - great idea, becuae it will give me a chance to sample more.

How'd you like the Apres L'Ondee btw?
    Chanakya

you must add People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo. To. Die. For. Wow. I had to purchase a decant. And the body cream comes *highly* recommended.

haven't sniffed myself, but Tauer's L'Air du desert marocain gets many many oooh and ahhhs, and PdNicolai SacreBleu is often raved about.

And I assume you've sniffed L'Artisan samples? La Chasse and Tea for Two and.. (hint: you can purchase 5 samples from their website for $7)

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    you must add People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo. To. Die. For. Wow. I had to purchase a decant. And the body cream comes *highly* recommended.

haven't sniffed myself, but Tauer's L'Air du desert marocain gets many many oooh and ahhhs, and PdNicolai SacreBleu is often raved about.

And I assume you've sniffed L'Artisan samples? La Chasse and Tea for Two and.. (hint: you can purchase 5 samples from their website for $7)
    Many thanks MiaKulpa.

Have only one L'Artisan sample - have Tubéreuse - as yet untested because it just got here.

This world of niche scents is totally new to me - I've been a basic Guerlain, Worth, Caron, Lancome etc person for over 40 years (I guess this is called mainstream), so don't assume anything

But I'm delighted so far with all these new sniffies. Have only had one disaster so far - tried a sample called Hazel's last night and had to take two showers to scrub off - smelled like burning rubber and car exhaust on me.
    Chanakya

DeeOlive most fragrance is new to me, and I've only really been involved in fragrance since this Summer barring a brief flirtation with Coco, Obsession, and Opium back in the 80's. I'm still very new to this too, but like you eager to learn and experience and enjoy. And caron, guerlain, amd and such are certainly worthy scents and nothing to be bashful about. not at all!

since I didn't get a chance earlier when you first arrived, let me welcome you to Basenotes. It's a lovely group of people here.

Do try some l'artisans, particularly la chasse aux papillons and tea for two. As I mention, you can get a few starter scents very cheaply through their website, and also look into buying other niche sample packs reasonably from beautyhabit.com and aedes.com .

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

As a fellow Guerlain lover, may I suggest Ambre Russe, by Parfum d'Empire, a Parisian niche house with a poetic conceit? You will love, simply love, Bois de Paradis. And, although he may not count anymore as niche, do try Frederic Malle scents. What fun!

Blog Entries

DeeOlive most fragrance is new to me, and I've only really been involved in fragrance since this Summer barring a brief flirtation with Coco, Obsession, and Opium back in the 80's. I'm still very new to this too, but like you eager to learn and experience and enjoy. And caron, guerlain, amd and such are certainly worthy scents and nothing to be bashful about. not at all!

since I didn't get a chance earlier when you first arrived, let me welcome you to Basenotes. It's a lovely group of people here.

Do try some l'artisans, particularly la chasse aux papillons and tea for two. As I mention, you can get a few starter scents very cheaply through their website, and also look into buying other niche sample packs reasonably from beautyhabit.com and aedes.com .
    MiaKulpa - Thanks for the warm welcome and am exploring aedes site - and the beautyhabit sample packs too ( this is now making me want to sniff everything).

Someone should start a course called Niche Frags 101
    Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    As a fellow Guerlain lover, may I suggest Ambre Russe, by Parfum d'Empire, a Parisian niche house with a poetic conceit? You will love, simply love, Bois de Paradis. And, although he may not count anymore as niche, do try Frederic Malle scents. What fun!
    Hi Therese - took your suggestion and Ambre Russe and Bois de Paradis are also on the way. Looks like I'll be sampling for months - yea!!!!!!
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 7th December 2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Apres l'Ondee arrived from Scent Direct – surprise – because it was out of stock for a while.

Yeah, yeah! Those two are great!
    Last edited by purplebird7; 7th December 2007 at 01:17 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Someone should start a course called Niche Frags 101
    That would be within the purview of the School of Anthropology, wouldn't it, Dee?

F.Y.I. for all those who don't already know: ThePerfumedCourt.com does offer sampler packs of niche collections.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    That would be within the purview of the School of Anthropology, wouldn't it, Dee?

F.Y.I. for all those who don't already know: ThePerfumedCourt.com does offer sampler packs of niche collections.
    LOL - Hmmm ...scents by culture, ethnic preferences in top notes....I think I could invent a great anthro course

Have been perusing the "Malle" sample selections in Perfumed Court - since I have no clue about any of them - the ones that leap out at me via reviews/ descriptions are:

Le Parfum de Thérèse - which sounds like something I would love, because of the jasmine
    Un Rose - as a rose person - this will continue my quest to sniff rose scents
    En Passant sounds fascinating - I love the time of year when all the lilac bushes around my house are in bloom

Should I get the 3 sample set - or are there other must sniffs from Malle?
    Chanakya

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You may score free Frederic Malle samples by filling out the FM online questionnaire.
    http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/

They ask you where you live, on the chance you're near one of their stores. Once they learn you cannot sample their scents in a store, they do their best to help you figure out which samples would best suit your tastes.

The three you named are certainly among their most popular.

LOL - Hmmm ...scents by culture, ethnic preferences in top notes....I think I could invent a great anthro course

Have been perusing the "Malle" sample selections in Perfumed Court - since I have no clue about any of them - the ones that leap out at me via reviews/ descriptions are:

Le Parfum de Thérèse - which sounds like something I would love, because of the jasmine
    Un Rose - as a rose person - this will continue my quest to sniff rose scents
    En Passant sounds fascinating - I love the time of year when all the lilac bushes around my house are in bloom

Should I get the 3 sample set - or are there other must sniffs from Malle?
    yes to those three and add Carnal Flower. CF is such a unique creation. MUST TRY.
    In fact I am declaring a moratorium on any further purchases for this year and will save up to do a bottle split of Carnal Flower with someone. (100mls at $275) next year.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Added Carnal Flower to list - thanks Renee, and will wait to see if FM sends me free samples before ordering (filled out the questionnaire) - thanks for the heads up Joy.
    Chanakya

Smile Re: Luckyscent sample suggestions

You sound so organised about it all. * envies * I've been sampling lots too but it's the names that draw me in; I see a name like "Unicorn Spell" and I just have to find out what it's like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    You sound so organised about it all. * envies * I've been sampling lots too but it's the names that draw me in; I see a name like "Unicorn Spell" and I just have to find out what it's like.
    Hi Sirena, Welcome! (hows the weather in Trinidad? - sigh - I envy you since it is freezing here) - I wish I was organized - or at least more organized - this sample stuff is all so new to me I'm all over the place - will prolly take Beachroses suggestion and get a system.
    Added Carnal Flower to list - thanks Renee, and will wait to see if FM sends me free samples before ordering (filled out the questionnaire) - thanks for the heads up Joy.
    Did not luck out - no samples for me - they dropped me a note:

"After reading your questionnaire, I think you could love IRIS POUDRE.
    Nevertheless, if you were to pay us a visit at Barneys New york, I would also show you UNE FLEUR DE CASSIE
    "

I guess I will have to break down and go into the city at some point - after New Year's to avoid manic holiday shoppers and holiday returners. Perhaps while there can drop into Caron and view those urns in person.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 11th December 2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chanakya

Smile Re: Luckyscent sample suggestions

Hi Sirena, Welcome! (hows the weather in Trinidad? - sigh - I envy you since it is freezing here) - I wish I was organized - or at least more organized - this sample stuff is all so new to me I'm all over the place - will prolly take Beachroses suggestion and get a system.
    The weather is a bit mixed; rainy in the early mornings, sunny around nine, rainy again at noon and in the evening. I spent seven years in Illinois and I miss the snow but not the freezing temps and ice :P I'm sampling toward a full bottle purchase from Luckyscent on my birthday next year. My samples are all jumbled together at the moment and I just reach in and pull one out each day - like a perfume Advent calendar!