Code of Conduct

Default Impulse purchases (women's)

I also posted this thread in the male fragrance discussion board, and I'm interested to see how your answers differ.

I'm just curious - at what price point you are likely to make an impulse purchase (not a blind purchase, but something you haven't "tested enough")?

At what price point are you likely to make a blind purchase?

Does the price per ounce weigh heavily into your decision?

Would you be more likely to buy a fragrance blindly if you could purchase it in a say, 1/2 ounce (15ml) size for $12? Even if the cost per ounce (30ml) was only $16, and the 100ml price was $53

Default Re: Impulse purchases (women's)

I always do that!...the latest impulse purchase was Louve by Serge Lutens, I was very busy so I asked my boyfriend to go and buy it for me and I love it so much!
    there are a couple of impulse purchases I could have avoided, Rose Barbare by Guerlain and Musc Ravageur by F. Malle, I never wear them and just don 't like them anymore, I 've thought of listing them on ebay but I don 't have the time and the energy for all the trouble (transaction, shipping...).

Mmm...for me, it's not about price, it's about how much I like the fragrance when I've sampled it. If I decide I just can't live without it, and the price is on the high side, I'll buy a small bottle. I did that with Prada Infusion d'Iris. If I could get a massive bottle of that, I would, but I had to go for the 30ml at the time that I bought it. I'd rather have 30ml of a perfume I love than none at all, that's my philosophy.

By the way, Juliette? If you have perfumes you don't want, why not put them up for swaps here? I'd be interested in the Musc Ravageur, just to have a sniff of it.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I have been going through a tuberose phase and buying fragrances with the tuberose note, sometimes untested.

A recent impulse buy is Beautiful Love by Estee Lauder, and I'm regretting it. Beautiful Love contains the tuberose note but it is not a tuberose fragrance. Fortunately I only bought a 30ml bottle.

A recent blind buy is Crown of Gold by Anglia Perfumery. It has the tuberose note but I do not like its vintage characteristic. This is 50ml but luckily not too expensive.

I have just bought Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle on eBay blind. Hopefully I will like this.

If I can't test a fragrance thoroughly before buying, then I usually go for the smallest size available. It also depends on how rich I feel at the time, I'm more likely to buy on impulse or blind if I have been good and have some spare cash left that month.

I have a major problem with impulse buying. I've gotten much better though. I use to try on a frag and before it really got a chance to develop on my skin, I would purchase it. Well, by the time I got home the frag would sometimes smell awful and I end up taking it back. When I get a new frag now, I usually start out with a small bottle, except in the Creeds. It's better to buy the bigger bottle sometimes. Most perfumers offer a better deal for the bigger bottle, but some don't offer much of a price difference between the smaller and larger bottles. I'm want a pure perfume extrait, but I can't make up my mind which one I want. That won't be an impulse buy I hope.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I don't impulse buy without testing any more. I have so many bottles, samples,and decants to get through without needing blind buys. In stores I always test first, and usually more than once, so it can be a couple of weeks or more before I decide to buy in store or order online.

I send online for lots of samples and decants and these can be costly in themselves. I have to pay shipping to the UK so I get a good selection all at once. I wish we had a good perfume sampling service in the UK but I don't know of one.

I would love to buy 15ml bottles, it would light up my life. I suppose companies don't recoup the cost which is why they are so rare. The last 15ml bottle I found was La Perla edp. Perfect for travel , and also a lovely thing to behold.

I never buy 100ml of anything anymore. The last 100ml bottle was Parfum Sacre. Most of my buys are 50ml, or 30ml if get lucky. God bless Jo Malone for 30mls. Even my beloved Goutals I buy in 50ml only. I won't get through them all in a hurry because I have so many to choose from. I don't want to waste money on 100ml.

This Christmas holiday I will update my BN wardrobe and start listing ones that I can decant for others.

From an old song "It's a classical dilemma 'tween the head and the heart" for me: I realize that I and my family budget would be.better off with buying small bottles, but I am still buying big 50 and 100 ml bottles if the scent is cheap (depending on the concentration, who it is from and my gut feeling) but I am not buying totally blind any more. I agree that travel sizes in 15, 20 and even 30 ml would be ideal, but often times they are simply unavailable.

Marshall's and TJMaxx are not for buying scents, but for expanding horizons!

Meantime, a note to all: please update your "To Try" sections of the "Wardrobes", even with most unimaginable fragrances you can think of! You never know what other people can send to you unless you do so! How are we, "other people", supposed to know then?
    Last edited by Twolf; 20th December 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Meantime, a note to all: please update your "To Try" sections of the "Wardrobes", even with most unimaginable fragrances you can think of! You never know what other people can send to you unless you do so!

Ahhh, so that's how it works....the penny has finally dropped. Thanks.

I'm just curious - at what price point you are likely to make an impulse purchase (not a blind purchase, but something you haven't "tested enough")?
    less than 80-100$US

less than 35$US

Not at all. If there is a smaller size available for a cheaper absolute price, that's what I go for. Price / ounce really doesn't make a lot of sense if you're still testing the fragrance - that way of thinking is for the frags you know you'll use and love, unless you're into decanting and selling those decants.

Would you be more likely to buy a fragrance blindly if you could purchase it in a say, 1/2 ounce (15ml) size for $12? Even if the cost per ounce (30ml) was only $16, and the 100ml price was $53
    Yes, absolutely. Smaller and cheaper absolute cost, no matter what the cost per ounce, is the way to go when buying blindly. The closer to sample size, the better.

I've successfully cut back after putting a block on my credit card. Unrelated to fragrance addiction, my purse was stolen and I'm waiting for a new card, but still effective!

p.s. I'm trying to quit blind buys after being disappointed. I used to think online sample prices were ridiculous, but I'm starting to see how they save money in the long-run and help find the right one.
    Last edited by bernat; 20th December 2007 at 10:44 AM.

Blog Entries

at what price point you are likely to make an impulse purchase (not a blind purchase, but something you haven't "tested enough")?

I don't think I really have a price point - within reason - I certainly won't spring for something over $200 on impulse. I decided to buy Datura Noir after testing several SL samples - and being dissatisfied with the test (they all faded pretty quickly) because several bn'ers suggested that perhaps my method of application wasn't getting results. I saw a discount advertised and snagged a bottle for under 100 - and am glad I did because the results have been spectacular - I guess my skin sucked up the little dabs from the decant - application from the full bottle worked wonderfully.

Blind purchases haven't had a price point either - they are usually of a fragrance that I have read quite a few reviews of - by reviewers whse tastes run similar to mine - and from perfume houses that I already trust and am familiar with. I've bought Guerlains and Carons blind and have never been disappointed

No.

I actually prefer larger sizes to smaller ones - they usually end up being cheaper. I blindly buy samples now because I'm exploring niche scents I'm unfamiliar with - but am more likely to buy a bottle, of something that has piqued my interest, and if I don't like it to give it away as a gift. I have to say that this is all internet related - in the past I only bought frags I had tested/sniffed in department stores, or tried at a friends house.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Impulse purchase - the only thing I impulse anymore is samples. I have a list of full bottle desires that will keep my credit card entertained for awhile.

BTW - TWolf (or anyone else smarter and more experienced that I), not sure about etiquitte here, but can we put samples up for swap/giveaway? My sample bags are starting to breed and I'd like to find the unliked ones a good home with more sophisticated noses than mine.

Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Not sure about "smarter", but here goes:

It has been reiterated so many times (see the last thread in the Community Center down almost at the end of the forums) that we are not supposed to do so unless our samples are in the original manufacturer's vials and thus containing the original manufacturer's scent (). However, I often browse through other people's "Wish Lists" and "To Test" sections of their Wardrobes, got d*****ing supplies and keep a tiny pile of small boxes and plastic bubbles in the bathroom cabinet. Shipping peanuts are not my thing, I suppose. There is also an option of Private Messages still working fine. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I do NOT need money -- be it PayPal, well-concealed cash, check or money order, somehow I am not interested in all these. Barter deals (including chocolates, hand-made dollies, pictures of far away places and home burnt CDs) appeal to me most.

But this is just me.

Thumbs up Re: Impulse purchases (women's)

It has been reiterated so many times (see the last thread in the Community Center down almost at the end of the forums) that we are not supposed to do so unless our samples are in the original manufacturer's vials and thus containing the original manufacturer's scent (). However, I often browse through other people's "Wish Lists" and "To Test" sections of their Wardrobes, got d*****ing supplies and keep a tiny pile of small boxes and plastic bubbles in the bathroom cabinet. Shipping peanuts are not my thing, I suppose. There is also an option of Private Messages still working fine. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I do NOT need money -- be it PayPal, well-concealed cash, check or money order, somehow I am not interested in all these. Barter deals (including chocolates, hand-made dollies, pictures of far away places and home burnt CDs) appeal to me most.

But this is just me.
    I really like your attitude. Actually, there are a lot of really cool, generous people here. Someday, when I have (or create :P) something somebody might actually want, I intend to do the same.

Thanks for making this a brighter place.

You are most welcome! The creamiest milk chocolates from Europe, a hand-knitted diva scarf, a designer belt, a 100-page illustrated book about Quebec in French, a red-neck mix for Frying Green Tomatoes, a teddy bear, a packet of seeds, a jazz album, a Matthew Williamson necklace and 7 pairs of earrings, a pencil-drawn autoportrait of themselves, lipsticks, moisturisers and cleansers, Kleenex type handkerchieves with fabulous prints, a hand made bracelet, and.... a partridge on a pear tree made my year 2007!
    Last edited by Twolf; 20th December 2007 at 03:10 PM.

But this is just me.
    Not knowing the "right thing to do" has been one of the things that has made me hesitant to trade with people - that, a lack of decant supplies, and a knowledge that I am terrible about putting stuff in the mail.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question Twolf!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.