Code of Conduct

Default Are there Natural Deodorants that are Effective?

I have tried Jason's Tea Tree, Tom's of Maine Sandalwood, Nature's Gate Pampelmousse.. I cannot find a natural deodorant as effective as Gillette, Axe, Old Spice.. stuff containing aluminum. Frankly, it's frustrating..

any suggestions for a guy that does not want aluminum in his deodorant, but does not want stench? I do not "stink," but can tell the protection is not there like with the others..

Kiss my Face good? Suggestions appreciated for natural deodorants, or paraben/aluminum free deodorants.

Default Re: Are there Natural Deodorants that are Effective?

I was gonna suggest getting an alum block but that's definitely out of question. If it's a health concern, you can try leftover tea after they've been infused.

nah, not a health concern.. just wanting to find something natural that works.. and it's been tough. Nothing compares to the stuff with aluminum. Thanks, though.
    --------------------------------------
    and comically.. this is hilarious.. I seem to forget a lot of fragrances are loaded with 100s of bad chemicals.. I seem to forget that.. Creed or not, there are chemicals in fragrances.
    Last edited by blah114; 4th December 2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I find that the crystal natural deodorant is highly effective for me. I can go over 24 hours without any BO using. The great advantage is that it is natural and odorless so it won't clash with your cologne in any way.

I just apply it to my wet armpits straight out of the shower (I keep my pits closely shaved). For me, it works better than anything I have tried before.

I checked this out.. it gets rave reviews. Thank for the advice. I am going to get this product. I noticed they have a men's version..
    Last edited by blah114; 5th December 2007 at 01:05 AM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
    I checked this out.. it gets rave reviews. Thank for the advice. I am going to get this product. I noticed they have a men's version..
    I was gifted with a crystal deodorant stick about 6 years ago. Works like a charm!!
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Reminds me of Superman movies.. ha

I've always thought that these so-called natural deodorant crystals were just lumps of alum (potassium aluminium sulphate) - aren't they? If so, you would still be putting aluminium compounds in your armpits. To the best of my knowledge, all of the most effective deodorants use aluminium chlorohydrate so finding something which works well without aluminium is going to be very difficult.

I'm curious why you want to eliminate aluminium. As far as I know, the scare stories connecting aluminium with cancer and altzheimer's are just urban myths.
    Last edited by keithu; 5th December 2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Typically, anything containing aluminum is not designated a deodorant, but an 'anti-perspirant' instead.

Anyways, I've tried quite a few myself, and this one not only works better than others I've tried (which isn't saying much) it works well enough that I always feel confident with it.

It starts out smelling a bit medicinal, but within 15-20 minutes, the scent is completely gone.

http://www.vitacost.com/Desert-Essen...t-Tea-Tree-Oil

Thanks for the comments. If Crystal is simply aluminum... and I will read the ingredients before I get it, there is no point. A few months ago, I had a weird redness on my legs.. then it was on my shoulder. Then it went away.. then came back.. then went away.. then came back. I went to a dermatologist and he believed I was having a reaction to something.. he suggested I cut out aluminum from deodorant, change detergent, change shower soap. Since changing deodorants, I have not had redness.. I did not change shower soap or laundry detergent. This could have been a onetime deal, or even dietary, but I am not sure. I simply think if the dermatologist suggested it, since I respect the guy a lot, I will stay away from it.

I will look at the Tea Tree oil. I love Tea Tree anyway.

Crystal is not aluminium but it is ALUM. It is a compound of aluminium. It works as a deodorant but not antiperspirant so will not block your sweat glands. The sweat is 'cleaner', however, as it stops bacterial growth.

Just like Sodium or Chlorine are very toxic in the pure form, when they form the compound sodium chloride, it is the salt you eat in your food.

Basenotes Plus

The Tea Tree Oil referenced here has lavander oil so it is not unscented. Tom's of Maine has a natural unscented deodorant that works.

Thumbs up Re: Are there Natural Deodorants that are Effective?

Quote Originally Posted by aljinnie View Post
    Crystal is not aluminium but it is ALUM. It is a compound of aluminium. It works as a deodorant but not antiperspirant so will not block your sweat glands. The sweat is 'cleaner', however, as it stops bacterial growth.

Just like Sodium or Chlorine are very toxic in the pure form, when they form the compound sodium chloride, it is the salt you eat in your food.
    CORRECT!!!!!!!

anyone who lives in the netherlands, check out a local brand called "MEDEX". they got an awesome deodorant. i apply it once every 2-3 weeks and it totally kills off the smell for the entire time! probabaly one of the most useful products in my bathroom.

lush cosmetics do very effective natural deodourants. Though they are not odourless they're not overpowering. I use Aromacreme and I reccomend it highly. Nothing but natural ingredints.

www.lush.com
    when your walking through hell walk faster !
    old enough to be mature - young enough to act plain stupid

There is a odorless aluminum deoderant gel "Michum" - I use it - and get the one "for sensitive skin" - works great and I get no redness - I get redness when I use the other things.

The alum crystal wortks well, too.

If that won't work - you are out of luck - you will have to smell "natural" at the end of the day!!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Kiehl's anti-perspirant is great. I started using it a week ago and I sweat quite a bit but this cream has dramatically reduced it. I plan on staying with it.