Code of Conduct

Default Michael Storer's Winter Star - special edition fragrance for Basenoters

For those who haven't been following this thread on the Women's Forum, Michael Storer gave 23 women the opportunity to beta test and offer their reviews and opinions on Winter Star, an EdP fragrance he has under development.

Here's the link to the Winter Star reviews: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=201915

Some indicated that they view it as a unisex fragrance. I "borrowed" a little of my wife's sample and absolutely fell for it. To me, it is definitely on the masculine side of unisex.

The reason for this post, is that Winter Star is now being offered as a special edition fragrance. In an email, Michael stated that if anyone else is interested he needs to know within the next week so that he can make a batch and have it delivered before Christmas.

Winter Star is included along with his other fragrances in the 50% off second bottle sale that runs through Christmas day! That's $40.00 for a fragance that's easily worth $80.00. I ordered two bottles of Winter Star (one for my wife and one for me) for $120.00 shipping included!

If you are interested, you can contact him at: sales@michaelstorer.com

[I have no affiliation with Michael Storer]
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 5th December 2007 at 02:41 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Michael Storer's Winter Star - special edition fragrance for Basenoters

Interesting but where is the review? Ingredients? First impressions? Hmmm?

Default Re: Michael Storer's Winter Star - special edition fragrance for Basenoters

Yes, what is it like? Please....

There's lots of reviews in the link Two Roads posted.

Yes, definitely more details. I'd like to pick up Monk, but even at $40, I don't want to buy it *that* blindly. I'd like to know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    There's lots of reviews in the link Two Roads posted.
    Thanks Abigail!

I just edited my first post to put the link on a separate line and added a few words pointing to the link. Hopefully that will make it more visible.

Earlier today, Michael Storer told me that he classifies Winter Star as a balsam ambre.

He also said that Monk is a definite oriental with a lot of musk, balsams, civet and some birch tar for smokiness.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I read the reviews listed on the women's side but I want a guy's perspective. You liked it...what do you think?

Oh, and I thought Monk was more like $80 not $40. Is it still available in the original version?
    Last edited by paintrman; 5th December 2007 at 04:26 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I read the reviews listed on the women's side but I want a guy's perspective. You liked it...what do you think?
    Well, I posted in the review thread, but I can give a another guy's perspective too, if you like.
    It opens fairly strong on the spice, with nutmeg and possibly cinnamon in evidence. A buttery sweetness comes into play fairly quickly, as well as another note I can't quite indentify, a sort of tangy-cream smell. Some part of me is surprised the perfumer didn't time this for Christmas, as there is certainly a slight eggnog effect in the beginning and middle.
    The top notes are probably the least prominent in this fragrance, which tends to focus more on the heart and base.
    There are no notes that emerge dramatically after the opening, it's more a matter of certain things mellowing and other things gaining prominence. The buttery sweetness continues at a fairly even keel, but the spices mellow, and a touch of white florals emerges from the buttery sweetness. It's a floral base note that I can only describe as not quite gardenia, but in the same region.
    This fragrance is very warm, has good sillage, and is the longest lasting fragrance I have ever tried, period. It's unisex due to the spice, but it is quite sweet so keep this in mind. It's also on the heavy side, and I suspect that on a steamy summer's day this could be unpleasant if over-applied.
    All in all I found this a first class fragrance, but not right for me or my mother ( who requested the sample ). Now I'm hesitating in regards to his changing it, as our reasons were contradictory: she wanted more spice, I would have liked more of those florals. As it is, I'm sure it's someone's signature frag, and probably worth ordering if you have the spare cash for blind buys and like the sound of the reviews.

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I have an embarrassing amount of bottles of smellies at the moment and I am trying to be really picky about my purchases since I don't really need any more. This would have to receive a glowing review before I would even consider it. I have a problem with milky/creamy notes because to me they smell fake. I remember trying some of the Sonoma Scent Studio's gourmand scents and thought I was going to hurl. There is something about smelling sweet butter/caramel/eggnog that if not done right can smell like a sugar overdose. Which reminds me, I need to make an appointment with the dentist.

Can you compare Winter Star with any other scents?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Well, I posted in the review thread, but I can give a another guy's perspective too, if you like.
    It opens fairly strong on the spice, with nutmeg and possibly cinnamon in evidence. A buttery sweetness comes into play fairly quickly, as well as another note I can't quite indentify, a sort of tangy-cream smell. Some part of me is surprised the perfumer didn't time this for Christmas, as there is certainly a slight eggnog effect in the beginning and middle.
    The top notes are probably the least prominent in this fragrance, which tends to focus more on the heart and base.
    There are no notes that emerge dramatically after the opening, it's more a matter of certain things mellowing and other things gaining prominence. The buttery sweetness continues at a fairly even keel, but the spices mellow, and a touch of white florals emerges from the buttery sweetness. It's a floral base note that I can only describe as not quite gardenia, but in the same region.
    This fragrance is very warm, has good sillage, and is the longest lasting fragrance I have ever tried, period. It's unisex due to the spice, but it is quite sweet so keep this in mind. It's also on the heavy side, and I suspect that on a steamy summer's day this could be unpleasant if over-applied.
    All in all I found this a first class fragrance, but not right for me or my mother ( who requested the sample ). Now I'm hesitating in regards to his changing it, as our reasons were contradictory: she wanted more spice, I would have liked more of those florals. As it is, I'm sure it's someone's signature frag, and probably worth ordering if you have the spare cash for blind buys and like the sound of the reviews.
    Thanks galamb - this sounds really similar to October by Neil Morris (or Madeline by Ava Luxe). Has anyone smelled these three and care to agree or disagree.

Divatologist might be sharing a sample of WS with me, so I can get a chance to see what all the fuss is about...

thinking of blind buying this with a bottle of the monk reformulation...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I still consider myself very much of a newbie when it comes to analyzing and describing any fragrance, much less one where I am only one of a few men who have tried Winter Star.

I haven't yet developed the confidence that many of you have to make assertions about this or that particular component or aspect of a scent.

My knowledge is increasing at its own pace and I will have to be content with that. I do, however, lean towards classic or classic-smelling fragrances - initially chypres and woody orientals. Lately, I have been exploring dry woods (leathers) and soft orientals (ambers).

The best comparison I can give you is that, to me, it is highly reminiscent of Ambre Sultan.

I am sure that their compositions are very different but, if I can describe it just as a feeling, I get the same in-your-face sense with Winter Star as I do with Ambre Sultan.

Ambre Sultan lasts all day on me - Winter Star lasts even longer!