Code of Conduct

Default Yesterday I met this dude who HAD to be a Basenoter!

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was at work tending bar during the slow afternoon shift. This guy came in and ordered a drink and set some bags down on the counter. He was a really well-groomed guy who looked a little bit like Denzel Washington. As I was making his drink, I smelled something really good. I looked over to see him putting some lotion on his hands-- it smelled great. I asked him what kind of lotion it was and he showed me the bottle. It was Prada. He told me to try some on so I did. I mentioned that I have a bottle of Prada Amber Pour Homme and he agreed that it was good stuff.

Then a few minutes later I smelled something else really good-- and also familiar. I said "Hey, now I smell something else, what's that you just put on?"

He looked a bit sheepish and then smiled and said "Oh, it's from Gaultier. It's called G3."

I politely mentioned to him that it was actually G2 or "Gaultier Squared. He pulled out the bottle and corrected himself. He then said "My favorite is something called Number One."

"Clive Christian?" I replied.

He laughed and nodded. He was really surprised that I was into all that fragrance stuff. I told him that I liked Creeds and Comme des Garçons the best. He said that he liked Creeds as well. He told me that I was a man after his own heart. Then he mentioned something from Yves Saint Laurent that he liked. He said it was new and in a blue bottle. It might have been the Kouros Tattoo Edition.

This was the most awesome random conversation about fragrance ever. Then the bar phone rang and interrupted me-- it was some stupid coworker wanting me to read her her damn schedule. Arrggh. I was so pissed off at the timing.

By the time I got off the phone, the guy had to be going. He was going to meet his lady. We shook hands and he told me his name was Steve. I told him that someday maybe he would see my fragrances on the shelf somewhere. He asked me if I was familiar with Tom Ford and I said that I was a fan of many of the creations that he oversaw. I asked Steve if he was in the "industry" and he said no-- he was just big into fragrances.

He had to be going and I didn't get a chance to tell him about Basenotes and ask him if he was familiar with this place. Bummer. It was cool meeting somebody else in the general public with the same passion for fragrances. Be on the lookout for this guy, he's bound to run into some more of us!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yesterday I met this dude who HAD to be a Basenoter!

Great story!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

If I met someone around here who knew who knew even half the bottles in my collection, they would become my best friend.

Wow, that's awesome I'm really jealous! I'd love to run into people randomly (preferably with some frequency though that's just plain unrealistic) that know a thing or two bout scents and aren't afraid to talk about it. Even though this guy sounds mad cool and like he has lots of experience with scents, a couple of things about his mannerisms, such as saying things such as that he likes "that one blue one" or whatever by YSL makes me think he actually might NOT be a basenoter because one of us would most likely be more precise in explaining which scents we like. Of course, meeting an actual basenoter (incidentally the threadstarter himself) was pretty sweet too so I can't complain--speaking of which, between the 10th and 19th I have a decent amount of free time so we might need to work out a repeat meeting.
    Last edited by The_Giraffe; 5th December 2007 at 04:57 AM.

Spray-dar!

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe View Post
    Wow, that's awesome I'm really jealous! I'd love to run into people randomly (preferably with some frequency though that's just plain unrealistic) that know a thing or two bout scents and aren't afraid to talk about it. Even though this guy sounds mad cool and like he has lots of experience with scents, a couple of things about his mannerisms, such as saying things such as that he likes "that one blue one" or whatever by YSL makes me think he actually might NOT be a basenoter because one of us would most likely be more precise in explaining which scents we like. Of course, meeting an actual basenoter (incidentally the threadstarter himself) was pretty sweet too so I can't complain--speaking of which, between the 10th and 19th I have a decent amount of free time so we might need to work out a repeat meeting.
    Yeah, I thought about it. A rabid Basenoter probably wouldn't have called it G3. Still, I was pretty impressed by the guy's fragrance knowledge.

Hey Giraffe, that would be cool to meet up again sometime this month. Coincidentally, I just bought some more of that coffee beer that goes well with testing fragrances (I'm cracking up thinking about the "Jako-Bottle-in-the-Pint-Glass-Incident" from last year, bro! That was funny.)

And yes, as Mia Kulpa says, it was definitely "spraydar!"

Great story! I remeber one time I was at ToadFlax in Pittsburgh (back when I just started my fragrance "hobby") and someone was checking out the Diptique line and asking if they had Tam Dao... I knew it had to be a basenoter, so I gathered up the courage to ask him if he was familiar with the site. It was none other than RobYogi, who I was familiar with because of his well-written reviews which often parallel my tastes. It was quite an exciting day, to say the least!

you told him about the basenotes site Indie ?
    Pitty that you could'nt take 10 minutes from work..

lovely story though !

Have a nice day

Basenotes Institution

Great story Indie.

Yes, I have spray-dar too, and inevitably I meet people sometimes at cocktail parties/social events and when fragrance comes up (usually it's my boyfriend working it into the conversation with the fact that I have about 80 fragrances in my closet - and people look at me like I'm a Martian) I love talking to them about it. I remember a dinner party of 12 people where the guy seated in front of I talked about scents the entire dinner much to the annoyance of everyone around us.

Indie - it sounds like you need to make blank business cards with the name and link of basenotes and your screen name, to hand out on the spot. You could make up a title, 'Public Relations'.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th December 2007 at 04:43 PM.

The only time anyone I know cares about anything I have to say about fragrances is when I tell them I sold a few for $150+ on ebay...

Sometimes girls laugh when I say the name of what I'm wearing in an exaggerated France accent. Other than that, I'm all alone!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I think many BN'ers just browse the reviews and don't make it to the boards. I know I just read the reviews for a few months before I decided to post what my SOTD was and the rest is history ..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    Spray-dar!

hahaha