Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1

    Default Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Just curious if theres a cologne you smelled that was very cheap but the smell was good and what was it and what was the price. And also whats the worst most expensive cologne you ever smelled.
    When it comes to frags sometimes less is more!

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,069

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Solara For Men by Lomani - $8 net

    (2065)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Question 1: Old Spice ($5-7 at any drugstore)... there's a reason why it's still being made
    Question 2: Bond No. 9 Little Italy... a potent scrubber, and I happen to like a lot of Bond No. 9 fragrances
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    old spice and burberry for men

  5. #5
    Dependent Navyy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Bod Man Most Wanted...$3.00 freakin' fantastic.

    Creed Original Vetiver...Soapy vibe for $320.00


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

    - Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Revillon 'R' among others. A beautiful fresh scent, created by Maurice Roucel. 200ml edt for less than $20!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

    - Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Aspen
    Creed Tabarome

  8. #8

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Best cheapie: Al Rehab, Silver. $7 on Amazon.

    Runner up: Al Rehab Choco Musk. $3.75 on Amazon. I'd rate this one #1 except that I only wear it layered with something else (usually Molecule 01).

    As for the worst expensive thing I've ever smelled... I'd really struggle to answer that one. I tend to sample things I already have an interest in, so it's rare that I end up with a stinker. I will say that I was the most disappointed by Bond no 9's HTTP (aka, the fragrance named bondno9.com). It isn't bad. In fact, it's quite good except that it smells way too close to Aventus without smelling better than the real thing, yet it costs more.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  9. #9

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    I bought this for 9.99 - smells great - St James of London Founders Reserve Post-shave Cologne - soothing cedarwood & clarysage.

    Another bought on the same day, same store, but even cheaper - $6.99 - Scottish Fine Soaps Classic Male Grooming edt.

    Both simple & grt after shower b4 bed.

    As for most expensive, couple of discontinued Guerlains, along with Amouage Tribute attar, all at 650 odd each.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Michael Jordan Legend - $15 - Great masculine gourmand, cold weather, sprayer sucks. Fall/Winter
    Mont Blanc Individuel - $30 - Fresh & somewhat sweet, refined. Smells of outdoor freshness in the spring with dark chocolate and hits of sweet berries. Fall/Winter
    Jacomo for Men (Silver) - $25 - Rich, masculine, smooth, mature. possibly 35+. Smells more expensive than it is for sure. Lasts 8+ hours. Only season not suitable is Summer. In the dry down I a liken it to brown sugar without the sweetness. Starts more fruity. *I* think its similar in makeup to D&G The One for Men.
    Kiton Men (Red) - $50 for 4.2 oz on eBay - Fresh, green, lily of the valley and violet flowers, pineapple, it radiates. travels with you. Spring/Summer.
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts - $25 - Smells like a tropical island, hot, sea breeze and you smell someone next to you with a coconut while you're sipping on a freshly limed Margarita, you can smell the salt. Summer only, unless you need a mid-winter pick-me-up indoors.
    Creed Aventus - I assembled about 1oz for $35 on eBay with a 1oz atomizer and $30 on 10x samples from auction.

    Worst expensive in my mind was Guerlain Heritage EDT, smelled like a fem-powder-bomb version of Drakkar Noir! Yikes!

    If I had to pick only 1 of the above it would be: save your pennies and get Kiton men.
    There are 10x samples on eBay for around $14.
    Safest blind buy is probably Michael Jordan Legend, not much to lose, still smells great for the price.
    Last edited by MegaMav; 25th December 2013 at 03:12 AM.

  11. #11
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,069

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Deleted
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  12. #12
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    I always loved Brut - and it's still really cheap. Old Spice and Brut are both awesome!

    Worst most expensive - man - not sure if there is one. I'm pretty easy to please at the high end. Just not interested in buying all of them. Not sure there's any one of them that I'd turn away, if it was looking for a home.

    My fake Bleu de Chanel is a bit of a turn-off. Don't want it on my skin. Even that I have no problem keeping.
    * * * *

  13. #13

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Not a boys scent but a mans awesome cheapo ....Mr. Blass by Bill Blass. 125 ml shipped eBay $15 or so. DAMN good leather. My wife said " that is a great scent, you better have only bought a sample or decant, smells expensive and manly" I swear, her words!
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

  14. #14

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Michael Jordan Legend - $15 - Great masculine gourmand, cold weather, sprayer sucks. Fall/Winter
    Mont Blanc Individuel - $30 - Fresh & somewhat sweet, refined. Smells of outdoor freshness in the spring with dark chocolate and hits of sweet berries. Fall/Winter
    Jacomo for Men (Silver) - $25 - Rich, masculine, smooth, mature. possibly 35+. Smells more expensive than it is for sure. Lasts 8+ hours. Only season not suitable is Summer. In the dry down I a liken it to brown sugar without the sweetness. Starts more fruity. *I* think its similar in makeup to D&G The One for Men.
    Kiton Men (Red) - $50 for 4.2 oz on eBay - Fresh, green, lily of the valley and violet flowers, pineapple, it radiates. travels with you. Spring/Summer.
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts - $25 - Smells like a tropical island, hot, sea breeze and you smell someone next to you with a coconut while you're sipping on a freshly limed Margarita, you can smell the salt. Summer only, unless you need a mid-winter pick-me-up indoors.
    Creed Aventus - I assembled about 1oz for $35 on eBay with a 1oz atomizer and $30 on 10x samples from auction.

    Worst expensive in my mind was Guerlain Heritage EDT, smelled like a fem-powder-bomb version of Drakkar Noir! Yikes!

    If I had to pick only 1 of the above it would be: save your pennies and get Kiton men.
    There are 10x samples on eBay for around $14.
    Safest blind buy is probably Michael Jordan Legend, not much to lose, still smells great for the price.
    Michael Jordan legend does not smell like it cost 14 dollars honestly I always buy a bottle when ever I see it, love it.
    When it comes to frags sometimes less is more!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    Not a boys scent but a mans awesome cheapo ....Mr. Blass by Bill Blass. 125 ml shipped eBay $15 or so. DAMN good leather. My wife said " that is a great scent, you better have only bought a sample or decant, smells expensive and manly" I swear, her words!
    lol so you got a great frag and busted your wives stones for 15 dollars! Id say money well spent huh?
    When it comes to frags sometimes less is more!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I always loved Brut - and it's still really cheap. Old Spice and Brut are both awesome!

    Worst most expensive - man - not sure if there is one. I'm pretty easy to please at the high end. Just not interested in buying all of them. Not sure there's any one of them that I'd turn away, if it was looking for a home.

    My fake Bleu de Chanel is a bit of a turn-off. Don't want it on my skin. Even that I have no problem keeping.
    I dont think brut will ever get old. Im 20 years aold and i still love it
    When it comes to frags sometimes less is more!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    My pick goes to versace dreamer. Nothing compares to it.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Samba Skin is pretty darn good... $15 shipped from fragrancenet and it smells like a mix between Pure Havane/Pure Malt.

    Mandarina Duck Black is also really nice. $9.99 for 50ml at Marshalls.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    The best cheap cologne is definitely not preferred stock. I like Aspen though.

  20. #20
    Dependent caferacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    I love me some Original Tabac.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?



    Powdery Oriental that is great @ 100 times the price! Do not believe the naysayers!
    I smell marshmallows!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Azzaro
    Grey Flannel
    Strictly Private
    Third Man/Yatagan/Pour un Homme

  23. #23
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,710

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Best smelling inexpensive: Giorgio for Men original EA reissue before the reformulation -- purchased for $10 delivered on eBay for a 118ml bottle. Smells just like vintage Giorgio for Men (translation -- it smells absolutely incredible and easily represents the best bang-for-the-buck of compositions I've sniffed to date).

    Worst smelling expensive: Black Afgano at $185 for 30ml that is an utterly weird stink bomb, firmly securing a place in my bottom four fragrances sniffed to date.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  24. #24
    Super Member Bulakenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pearl of the Orient (+8:00 GMT)
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Best smelling inexpensive: Giorgio for Men original EA reissue before the reformulation -- purchased for $10 delivered on eBay for a 118ml bottle. Smells just like vintage Giorgio for Men (translation -- it smells absolutely incredible and easily represents the best bang-for-the-buck of compositions I've sniffed to date).
    How do you know which one is is original re-issue, and the reformulated re-issue, just based on the box or bottle markings or design?
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

  25. #25
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,710

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    How do you know which one is is original re-issue, and the reformulated re-issue, just based on the box or bottle markings or design?
    The reformulation has a different ingredient listed on the box. It lists tree moss which is not there in the "good" EA reissue (or the vintage juice for that matter). The juice color is noticably different as well. It is now a very light translucent green instead of the mossy dark green juice color of old.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,747

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Grey Flannel. <$10 for 1 oz bottle.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Best cheapies for me R de Revillon
    Oscar for Men

    Worst expensive that I have smelled has to be
    Tom Ford Noir

  28. #28
    Basenotes Member Richaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Turks and Caicos
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Taxi by Mark Buxton

  29. #29

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    cheapest but smells great? Drakkar Noir - it was my signature scent throughout high school
    expensive but smells awful? Vintage Tabarome - hunted it down, sniffed it, hated it

  30. #30

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Best cheap colognes, among others: Chevignon Brand, Tabac Original, Yardley Citrus&Wood, Halston Z14, Francesco Smalto PH, Caractere by Daniel Hechter

    In my opinion, some of the less good among the expensive ones: Creed Royal Water, Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet

  31. #31

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    a good cheapie to me is Gianfranco Ferrè for men reformulated
    an expensive cheapie is X men By C. Christian

  32. #32

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Dirty English
    Perry Ellis 360° Red

    Both < $30. Among my favorites. Those are the cheapest I own and love them both.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Fahrenheit by Dior
    Cool Water by Davidoff

    Well at least for a $30 - 1oz bottle at walmart, walgreens, or cvs drugstores

  34. #34
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Clackamas, OR
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Tabac Original and Pinaud Clubman.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Bronnley Lime & Bergamot ( found it for 7 euros /100 ml)

  36. #36

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Lomani pour Homme $7, this week in fact.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Blue Stratos £0.99

  38. #38

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Best cheapest: Kannon Norweigian Wood $10.00
    Worst most expensive: Leather Oud- Too much

  39. #39

    Default Re: Whats the best cheapest cologne you ever smelled?

    Grey Flannel 4oz. $13.00 at TJ Maxx

    Black Touch 3.3oz. $24.00 shipped

Similar Threads

  1. Worst cologne you've ever smelled???????????
    By megamrexclusive in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 292
    Last Post: 29th July 2014, 06:43 PM
  2. Cheapest 10.2 oz bottle of Mugler Cologne?
    By Nihilist in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th March 2013, 06:10 AM
  3. whats a good Cologne for $60-80 dollars
    By GabrielD5629 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27th August 2011, 08:46 PM
  4. Whats the strongest/most durable Cologne ever?
    By thatbreaker in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 18th October 2007, 05:40 PM
  5. It doesn't get any better than this.. whats your Cheapest find ever?
    By dr_adamg in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th September 2006, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000