Code of Conduct

Default Asian Men: Your Favorite Fragrance?

As an Asian male, I was wondering what is your favorite fragrance or one you use daily. Mine is Fahrenheit, but it doesn't last long. I also like Aramis which has good staying power. I'm looking for something sort of sweet smelling that lasts and maybe your input can direct me. I'm assuming if you're Asian, we may share similar skin types.
    Thanks for your replies in advance.

Default Re: Asian Men: Your Favorite Fragrance?

I'm a middle eastern. I saw that skin differences well, some of those scents which doesn't last on my skin last on other members here and vice versa. But the taste of people are really really different.
    For example here in Tehran lots of people use and love Aqua D Gio, but I don't. The same is true about hot sellers like Lacoste products, Hugo Boss, cK, Davidoff & etc.
    Anyway my all time favorites (in the category you mentioned) are:
    -Fahrenheit (IT LAST WELL ON MY SKIN!)
    -JOOP! HOMME FAMILY Members not himself! (I mean Joop homme chillout, Mont Balnc Individuel and Cristobal)
    -Le Male by JPG
    -Jaipour Family
    -Opium Family
    Also let me add that, now in fall I use "Rive Gauche Homme", "M7 Fresh" and "Dolce & Gabbana" as my day wear scents. This summer my day wear choices were "Eternity summer 2005", "Very Sexy II".
    Finally I should mention "euphoria men" as the most sensual modern scent I've smelled!
    Last edited by msi_21; 5th December 2007 at 10:11 AM.

Hard to answer your question since I have so many scents and wear them in rotation. However, popular scents here include;

1. Cool Water - still the best seller here, so 1st place of course.
    2. Bvlgari AQVA - 2nd place, goes really well with the weather and the sillage is high and also long lasting.
    3. AdG - 3rd place, less used than Cool Water. And I find expats wearing this more than the locals.
    4. Le Male - 4th place here, very popular but they seem to classify it as a gay scent. No need to mention about its sillage and longevity, but when they sweat, Le Male stinks.
    5. Eternity - has been popular among us, but I rarely smell it, on me it lasts more than 7 hours. Still often talked about on the message board.
    6. Happy - they all agree that it does not last.

Amongst these, Bvlgari Extreme is often mentioned that it lasts so long and smells like a rich man. I know that these are mass-marketed frags, but they work.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

It's pretty rare that I come across someone for whom Fahrenheit doesn't las long on the skin.. it's an awesome scent and it lasts and lasts on me.. i'm Indian.. so technically that makes me an Asian as India is in the Asian subcontinent

You've asked for a sweet frag and below are my recommendations based on my own experiences :

Dior Homme - A brilliant sweetly masculine scent, has "wet earthy" soil after a rainshower kinda aura...lasts pretty long on me.
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme - Another musky sweet scent that's a sillage monster and lasts really well.. *might* smell oldschool .. but that's because it IS oldschool .. but that doesn't take it's appeal away.. I recommend it

I second the cK Eternity recommended by kiatbkk.. i'm sure there are more but that's all I can remember for now.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Oh sorry, I have overlooked that you mentioned 'sweet scent'.

Well, I recommend these since they work with me;

1. Dunhill Desire
    2. Lanvin Arpege
    3. Chanel Allure (Perry M to save your money)
    4. Burberry Touch
    5. Nemo
    6. BY MAN by D & G
    7. Magnetism by Escada (doesn't last long enough)
    8. Boss Bottled
    9. Body Kouros

These are sweet and woody scents. Give them a try.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

OK i'm singaporean of chinese descent so i guess i qualify for 'asian'
    my favourite perfumes on myself (and I DO mean those I use regularly!) :

Chanel Egoiste (the original)
    Guerlain: Habit Rouge (eau de parfum, eau de toilette), Vol de Nuit, Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Carnal Flower, Noir Epices (editions de parfums)
    Comme des Garcons (2, 2 Man, Guerilla 1, Sequoia)
    Dreamer (Versace)
    Lorenzo Villoresi (Garofano)
    Hermes (Terre, Kelly Caleche, Un Jardin sur le Nile, Hiris, Bel Ami)
    YSL pour homme
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Dzongkha

not sure if there's any pattern except that I seem to like them kinda strong, kinda full of character..?
    Last edited by zenman7; 5th December 2007 at 11:20 AM.

Something sweet that lasts long?

Annick Goutal Sables - 1 spray yesterday morning, 2 showers later it's still here!
    Opium Pour Homme - Probably your best bet, both the EDT and EDP last long.
    Body Kouros

Some of my asian (read: chinese) friends wear light fragrances with green tea as a key ingredient. I gifted an asian friend decants of Vintage Tabarome and Arabie ... he sprayed just once and we never talked about cologne again.
    -

What if your favorite fragrance is asian men? :P

Givenchy Pi and Chanel Allure Homme are two that I've found smell better on my Lao boyfriend than on myself. (atrac's answer occurred to me too )
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

My Chinese boyfriend is quite butch, but i am afraid my interest in "women's" scents has rubbed off.

He loves, wears and smells great in:
    Marc Jacobs Perfume
    Marc Jacobs Blush
    Michael Kors Island
    as well as
    Bulgari Pour Homme
    Pleasures For Men

I like orientals the best ironically. Jaipur, Allure, Bois du Portugal, Opium, etc. There's probably a reason for that.

I'll jump in to thank everyone who has responded to my inquiry thus far. You've provided a large assortment of fragrances to try. I'm running low on the Fahrenheit and Aramis and thought it would be a good time to try something else. About myself: I'm Chinese American (ABC) who only speaks English and in my mid-50's, but young at heart. I concur with those regarding Fahrenheit not lasting on me--maybe about 5 hours, 6 max. I spray about 6 half pumps around my neck. Maybe I'm doing something wrong yet I don't want to be overbearing when I arrive at work.

Anyway, thanks again. I look forward to receiving more replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I'll jump in to thank everyone who has responded to my inquiry thus far. You've provided a large assortment of fragrances to try. I'm running low on the Fahrenheit and Aramis and thought it would be a good time to try something else. About myself: I'm Chinese American (ABC) who only speaks English and in my mid-50's, but young at heart. I concur with those regarding Fahrenheit not lasting on me--maybe about 5 hours, 6 max. I spray about 6 half pumps around my neck. Maybe I'm doing something wrong yet I don't want to be overbearing when I arrive at work.

Anyway, thanks again. I look forward to receiving more replies.
    Whaaat? 6 sprays on the neck? Did you push the wrong button? I am afraid to put more than 3 sprays of Fahrenheit, since it produces monster sillage. There is an American older man near my house who leaves the trail of this scent for at least, 15 meters behind him.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

6 half-pumps = 3 full pumps? Maybe I should spray elsewhere other than my neck.

5-6 hours is actually pretty long lol. Try the chest instead of neck, you might notice it even longer.

I'm Indonesian and I don't normally wear 'sweet' fragrance, I much prefer woody and leather. However, when my mood is right, I'd wear these sweet ones: Rochas Man, Serge Lutens Chergui, SL Fumerie Turque.

Lightbulb Re: Asian Men: Your Favorite Fragrance?

6 half-pumps = 3 full pumps? Maybe I should spray elsewhere other than my neck.
    I think 2 spray is enough! You'll kill your nose by this amount of use!
    (1 spray on wrist, 1 on neck!)

I sprayed my customary 6 half-puumps of Fahrenheit on my chest this morning and didn't notice much of the fragrance throughout the day. However, a co-worker asked what I was wearing and this was 8 hours after I put it on! I don't get it....I can't smell the fragrance on myself.

I sprayed my customary 6 half-puumps of Fahrenheit on my chest this morning and didn't notice much of the fragrance throughout the day. However, a co-worker asked what I was wearing and this was 8 hours after I put it on! I don't get it....I can't smell the fragrance on myself.
    It's simply the olfactory fatigue. Do you have the same problem with other scents?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

With Aramis or Paco Rabanne, no, but I haven't applied them to my chest, only my neck. I'll try Paco Rabanne on my chest since I'm out of Aramis. Then again, these two may have a completely different chemical make up from Fahrenheit.
    Thanks for asking.

I read somewhere that African-American women love Farenheit (was it tvlampboy?), so if that's your target audience, you're right on the money. [Mine is Fahrenheit, but it doesn't last long.]

And I'm an Asian male in college, and I personally like Bond No.9 Bleecker Street the best, and I wear that the most often. Or soy sauce, which has extremely good sillage, longevity, and staining power, like SL Sarrasins. I do like Serge Lutens a lot, and I'll use my own personal version of Muscs Kublai Khan if I decide to stay in my room and play Starcraft for 8 days straight.

Why do we gotta bring race into this?
    --------------------------------------
    me too, we're AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet View Post
    I like orientals the best
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 7th December 2007 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My favorite fragrances (my wardrobe):- Platinum Egoiste, AdG, Armani Code,Tuscany & Polo Romance Silver.

I always spray around my tummy...cannot bear it if sprayed around the neck, I'd feel lost..

6 half-pumps of Paco Rabanne on my chest and I smelled the fragrance all day. I wish Fahrenheit would do the same, not that I mind PR...I like its fragrance.

3 sprays on your neck? I think your ability to perceive farenheit is not there due to nose fatigue. The question here is: Does skin pigment have an affect on fragrance? Is there something in your DNA that causes the juice to mutate into an alter perception? My answer would be no but perhaps the culture of your ethnic background might bear some influence on fragrance choices? Considering you seem Americanized, I would be comfortable ruling this possibilty out, however, unless you are steeped in asian traditions. Perhaps you could be more specific as to why a particular skin type would mutate a fragrance. I am curious to know.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I'll use my own personal version of Muscs Kublai Khan if I decide to stay in my room and play Starcraft for 8 days straight.
    hahahaha yea, im in college too and i know people who'd so do that. when Starcraft 2 comes out, you could probably start bottling that shit and calling it niche.

Wish Asian men were more succesful with the taller ladies, a good cologne should help and not hinder it.

I think it's better to avoid stuff like YSL Opium or M7, because imho those smell like an Asian medicine cabinet. If - for example - a western person would wear those fragrances, it would smell exotic on him. But if an Asian would wear it, it would smell like he's having a cold and put on some medicine on his chest. My uncle is into Chinese (herbal) medicine and acupuncture, and his storage rooms do smell like that. Kinda.

Fortunately, we're not the same on this earth, and that's what's making it such a great place. Especially Basenotes, which is one of the most friendly and helpful forums I know, with everyone being able to discuss everything openly.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 23rd January 2008 at 10:23 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

My most favourite is Bogart PH(2004). It's a shame, since the weather has been too hot for the last 4 months to wear it. I also like Pi, Ultraviolet Man, Rochas Man, Mugler Cologne and Cool Water. Yeah, I have a really sweeth tooth, I know.

28yo Chinese Malaysian here:

For day time:
    Terre D'Hermes
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Ralf Lauren Silver Romance (girls love)
    L'eau D'Issey
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Narcisso Rodriguez For Him

For Clubbing:
    TM A*Men
    Givenchy Pi
    Azzaro Visit
    YSL M7
    Bvlgari Black

When I think I wanna impress some ladies:
    Creed GIT
    Creed MI (sean john unforgivable as a standby top up)
    Dior Pour Homme
    Micheal Kors

Formal:
    Gucci Envy
    Chanel Egoiste
    Patou Pour Homme
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

It's seem no one in Asian like Hugo. My fav is:

Hugo Boss Energise
    CK Eternity summer 2007
    DKNY Red delicious
    BVL Avqa
    Kenzo pour homme
    CK Euphoria
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Armani Attitude

A Thai gent where I work asked me about the cologne I was wearing, It was Eau De Caron Forte. He went out that night and bought a bottle. That's all he seems to wear these days...
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

i am telling you man, fahrenheit is the longest lasting men's fragrance there is...there simply has to be something wrong with ur nose because i get 24 plus hours out of this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I think it's better to avoid stuff like YSL Opium or M7, because imho those smell like an Asian medicine cabinet. If - for example - a western person would wear those fragrances, it would smell exotic on him. But if an Asian would wear it, it would smell like he's having a cold and put on some medicine on his chest. My uncle is into Chinese (herbal) medicine and acupuncture, and his storage rooms do smell like that. Kinda.
    I felt that way when I tried Pomegranate Noir. NOT for Asians lol. I think I can pull off M7 though; I'm don't think westerners would associate Oud wood with traditional Chinese medicine...

Basenotes Member

MEGA BUMP!

i'm an ABC as well and from some research i've been doing on google.. i think that as asians (well, lighter skinned) our skin types play a major factor in how well our scents project..

i've been using sillage monsters like Le Male and A*men and can barely smell them after an hour. I asked a friend if i was wearing any cologne and she looks super confused at me.. the only time I can get any sillage or longevity is when i spray like CRAZY.

I sprayed Black XS and 1 million both 7 times before I asked my friend if she could smell me and she had to get within 3 inches of me and then said yeah i kinda smell something.. so I think it is really our genetic problem

i tried the whole unscented lotion or frag/lotion/frag method and that kinda helps.. but not really.

Its just you. May be different with 2 billion other people, or maybe not. Keep spraying like crazy if that works. Spray lower down far away from your nose.

You mega bumped a thread just so I will get closed very soon

Asians only??? What kind of racial stereoptyping is this?!!??

J/k

As a half South Korean man I enjoy Aventus, Tobacco Vanille, and Acqua Di Gio the best right now.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I am Thai. What popular here are what Kiat have mentioned.

My favourites that work great here are

- Fahrenheit : 3 sprays on center of my chest last for a day

- Green Irish Tweed : I have test it on one hand and Cool Water on the other, I prefer GIT

- Aventus

- Sycomore : It is the best smoky vetiver in my opinion

- Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

- Esencia Loewe : great scent when I travel in the forest in the north last week.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Hmm I'm Filipino-American, and I LOVE sweet fragrances as well. But I'm not sure what kind of sweet you are looking for recommendations on? Floral sweet, gourmand sweet, etc. Also, your age might help me help you as well.

Cheers,

~Mªrk~

The OP posted this in 2007 - I think he's probably long gone.

I'm half Chinese btw, and I'm not sure how this is supposed to affect my skin. I have dry skin that tends to absorb scent, is that related somehow?

Philippines here

My current top fav

Gucci pour homme II
    Chanel allure homme
    Chanel sycomore
    Chanel coromandel
    BOD fresh blue musk

This post is racist...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Guys, I can't help but think we're all being kind of silly here. Does color actually affect the scent, or does it have more to do with texture, dryness, etc.? I totally realize I might be using flawed logic, but that's like saying a scent will smell different if I spray it on black construction paper vs. white construction paper. In all seriousness and with zero sass, if someone wants to educate me I'm more than happy to learn.

Oh and to actually answer the question my current favorite is Rose 31 from Labo

I don't think this is racist at all, if you read through it.
    The OP was Asian, and the responses were either suggesting frags or discussing if race or genetics has some kind of effect in the way frags are perceived or absorbed. I'm from Manila Philippines, and was also wondering if there were some frags that work better with Asians in the tropics as compared to say, people of Arabic descent in the Middle East (who have great access to ouds and attars).
    Anyway, topsellers here are always in the fresh-aquatic vein, like Acqua di Gio, Hugo Hugo Boss...a lot of people wear Cool Water and CKOne or its copies. Versace Eau de Fraiche has been around for a while but it's a forum fave in the Phils. There's a good number also stuck in the Fahrenheit-Drakkar Noir-Eternity realm too. A*Men does not have good distribution in the Phils (and it's so freakin' hot and humid here) so I guess this is at least one market that's not A*Men crazy.

I'm half Chinese and have no problems with longevity. Most frags stick with me through the workday, and a handful will still be going strong late in the evening.

Hi.... I am Asian too. My favorite designer perfumes currently are Dunhill Brown, Ed Hardy Born Wild and Banana Republic.

For a Asian men = Bois 1920 - Sushi Imperial

Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    I don't think this is racist at all, if you read through it.
    The OP was Asian, and the responses were either suggesting frags or discussing if race or genetics has some kind of effect in the way frags are perceived or absorbed.
    Spot on. Asian here too, but I get most frags to work well.

Amongst these, Bvlgari Extreme is often mentioned that it lasts so long and smells like a rich man. I know that these are mass-marketed frags, but they work.[/QUOTE]

I agree with bvlgari pour homme extreme

also :

Aventus
    Aspen
    Polo sport
    Pi
    Animale Animale by animale
    New Haarlem
    Dior homme/ intense
    la nuit de lhomme
    nautica voyage
    versace medusa

Filipino

P.s. - it depends also on the climate where you live.

Banned
    Blog Entries

im sure asian men are a fan of oriental fragrances

la nuit is nuclear on my skin,

Quote Originally Posted by shadowzxfire View Post
    i've been using sillage monsters like Le Male and A*men and can barely smell them after an hour. I asked a friend if i was wearing any cologne and she looks super confused at me.. the only time I can get any sillage or longevity is when i spray like CRAZY.

I sprayed Black XS and 1 million both 7 times before I asked my friend if she could smell me and she had to get within 3 inches of me and then said yeah i kinda smell something..
    Why, oh why, don't you just spray your fragrances on your shirt fabric (not your skin) and call it a day? The spraying regime you've described above is a huge waste of very nice juice!

Basenotes Plus

This thread is funny but I'll play. In public, I respect people's space so I tend to wear scents with less projection and sillage. At home, anything goes and orientals are not among my most favorite fragrances.

The title of this OP can be misleading because in the UK and Europe, Asian is used for people from the Indian subcontinent, while Oriental is used for East Asians (read: chinese).

Not mine, but hey...

Whatever rocks your wok!

I'm asian and I like floral/citrus scents with hearts of greeeeens and anchored on sandalwood/cedar/or incense

I'm half-Korean and Ramon Monegal lasted 12 hours on my skin. Last strong, even after putting it on in the early afternoon and though falling asleep and waking up in the morning!

I would venture to say that Asian men buy what is marketed to them and available. I know of one elderly Japanese woman whose father was fond of Coty fragrances back in the 1930s.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.