Code of Conduct

Default Creed colognes containing NO ambergris ?

Do they exist ?

Default Re: Creed colognes containing NO ambergris ?

I dunno, I guess it's part of the "house note." Some scents have more ambergris than others (Acier Aluminum and Ambre Canelle come to mind). Is there a reason you don't want ambergris in your Creed?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    I dunno, I guess it's part of the "house note." Some scents have more ambergris than others (Acier Aluminum and Ambre Canelle come to mind). Is there a reason you don't want ambergris in your Creed?
    Well, synthetic ambergris smells soapy to some noses, so I can see why some might want to avoid it.

Bois de Cedrat - Somewhat underrated. More suitable for summer. Excellent blend of lime, cedar and vetyver.

Men's and unisex Creeds without ambergris or amber:

Bois de Santal
    Epicea
    Royal English Leather
    Tabarome Millésime
    Vetiver 1948
    Bois de Cedrat
    Virgin Island Water
    Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse
    Last edited by the_good_life; 5th December 2007 at 10:51 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I don't detect ambergris in Original Vetiver, or am I missing something? If present, it's not detectable to my nose, unlike Himalaya, which has a very strong ambergris base IMO.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

A couple of months ago I explained to my wife that my Creed scents contained ambergris. After she asked what it was, I explained that it was something that whales throw up, and which then floats around in the ocean for a few years before hitting the shore where some lucky person finds it and sells it at a very high price.

She still thinks I'm trying to pull her leg.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    unlike Himalaya, which has a very strong ambergris base IMO.
    I fully agree with you....the ambergis in Himalaya is even more noticeable when you overspray...It can get really off putting...

gupts

Cyprus Musk doesn't have any ambergris either. I am pretty sure that Aubepine Acacia doesn't either.

This is what turned me off to Green Irish Tweed, on me, it goes from the loud, too often imitated top notes to ambergris in less than an hour. The Creed ambergris base is so banal.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th December 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This is what turned me off to Green Irish Tweed, on me, it goes from the loud, too often imitated top notes to ambergris in less than an hour. The Creed ambergris base is so banal.
    I must agree with Ruggles - the ambergris note was my very first impression of the Creed line and I hated it.

Then, I tried Baie de Genievre and Virgin Island Water and - wow, I finally found some Creed love. Also - what about Selection Verte? I don't smell any ambergris in it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I must agree with Ruggles - the ambergris note was my very first impression of the Creed line and I hated it.
    But I thought you were head over heels about the ambergris laden Parfum de Merveilles? Is it more of a question of how the note is presented and composed?
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Is it more of a question of how the note is presented and composed?
    I think it's the uninspired mix of ambergris, musk and vanilla in the signature Creed base that makes them such a big yawn. The use of ambergris in EdM creates a tenacious reference to the ocean, it isn't just there to anchor the top notes.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th December 2007 at 04:54 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    But I thought you were head over heels about the ambergris laden Parfum de Merveilles? Is it more of a question of how the note is presented and composed?
    You're correct - when initially I hated the 'Creed note' that everyone was talking about I just assumed that I hated ambergris. Then I was pleasantly surprised when I fell for EdM. As Kelly (paintrman) has said before, the ambergris in EdM is quite magical and makes you wanna smile. It is light years away from how Creed blends ambergris.

I'm a big fan of the Ambergris notes in the Creed fragrances.

To my knowledge Creed Green Valley contains no ambergris. It starts with a blast of fresh cool mint and then some violet notes. Then after about an hour the patchouli and sandalwood give the drydown a sharpness. After about five hours on the skin, the drydown smells oddly like that of Montale's Aoud Lime, if you can believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think it's the uninspired mix of ambergris, musk and vanilla in the signature Creed base that makes them such a big yawn. The use of ambergris in EdM creates a tenacious reference to the ocean, it isn't just there to anchor the top notes.
    There must be some sort of skin chemistry thing going on or maybe its a bottle issue. On me, GIT's violet leaves and spicy notes last atleast 4 hours before they meld into the ambergris drydown. I quite like the Creed signature ambergris, which is an order of magniture more susbtantial than the ambergris in YSL Live Jazz or EdM. Its just like saying that the sweet amber and benzoin base in most Lutens is a yawn - its a house base and you either like it or you don't.

Some more Creeds with no ambergris:

Original Santal (its mentioned in the notes but its not perceptible to my nose)
    Citrus Bigarade
    Green valley
    Vintage Tabarome (cant detect it)
    Selection Verte (cant detect it)
    -

Thanks for all the response.

My main reason for wanting to know, is the same reason why I won't buy a large bottle of any of the Citrus-dominated Creed.....

...longevity.

Citrus oils are more volatile than most every other oil used in cologne.
    Even stored properly, 10 years or so, and the Citrus will either be noticeably rolled off, or even nearly absent. It's just a matter of Organic Chemistry.

With Natural Ambergris, the rancid/spoilage factor is a big concern for someone looking to avoid over-paying, via buying a 16.8oz flacon of one of the better Creeds.

I assume (correctly or incorrectly) that Natural Ambergris is likely the main culprit in bad/spoiled/rancid Creeds with prominent Ambergris (Erolfa, Himalaya, etc.) Other elements are unlikely to produce the rancid smell over time, most just don't contain the proper compounds to become Rancid.

Still, I wanna buy a 16.8 flacon of Bois Du Portugal, hoping it'd go 5-6 years w/o going rancid.
    I'll test some of the other less popular mentioned that contain no Ambergris.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    There must be some sort of skin chemistry thing going on or maybe its a bottle issue. On me, GIT's violet leaves and spicy notes last atleast 4 hours before they meld into the ambergris drydown. I quite like the Creed signature ambergris, which is an order of magniture more susbtantial than the ambergris in YSL Live Jazz or EdM. Its just like saying that the sweet amber and benzoin base in most Lutens is a yawn - its a house base and you either like it or you don't.
    Don't get me wrong, I think that Creed can scale the heights of beauty and soar higher than most any other house. Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie, Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, Orange Spice and even Royal Delight, for that matter, are all truly magnificent creations. I just find the regimented top-to-basenotes structure in their recent creations to be very mechanical.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th December 2007 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

Still, I wanna buy a 16.8 flacon of Bois Du Portugal, hoping it'd go 5-6 years w/o going rancid.
    I'll test some of the other less popular mentioned that contain no Ambergris.
    So I'm assuming someone already told you that BdP doesn't have ambergris in it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    According to the Italian distributor of Creed, who is usually very reliable, it does: www.cale.it
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm not sure, but isn't all the ambergris used today synthetic?

I've noticed that what goes off in fragrances, including Creeds is the top notes, particularly when they're natural berries. Never had any problems with the 'gris.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Thanks for all the response.
    I assume (correctly or incorrectly) that Natural Ambergris is likely the main culprit in bad/spoiled/rancid Creeds with prominent Ambergris (Erolfa, Himalaya, etc.) Other elements are unlikely to produce the rancid smell over time, most just don't contain the proper compounds to become Rancid.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Whoah, Ruggles and MikeP - hating on the 'gris!

I guess that typical Creed base can get tiresome if it's everywhere, like anything can, but I do think it's quite heavenly and it's what makes Himalaya and Green Irish Tweed so good.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 6th December 2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Nope.
    But still...

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    According to the Italian distributor of Creed, who is usually very reliable, it does: www.cale.it
    Well I can't read Italian, so I'll take your word for it. Still, it's presence is BdP is, to me, imperceptible.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Men's and unisex Creeds without ambergris or amber:

Bois de Santal
    BdS has TONS of ambergris. It's my favorite Creed so I can unequivocally attest to that. Not sure what you're smelling there...

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I've noticed that what goes off in fragrances, including Creeds is the top notes, particularly when they're natural berries. Never had any problems with the 'gris.
    Right, volatile Citrus and berries seem to dissapear first, but roll-off of these was not my fear. My fear was that when people mention a rancid fish smell in their Erolfa, that 'Gris was the culprit, and other Creeds containing Ambergris would also be subject to rancidity.

This seems not to be the case, and my initial assumption is likely wrong.

My nose is fairly certain both GIT and Himalaya contain the exact same type/amount of ambergris in their base as does Erolfa, the GIT 'gris mixed with more Sandalwood and Vanilla, and HIM 'gris mixed with more Cedar and Musk. With no rancid complaints for either GIT/HIM, just weak citrus tops over time, it seems the Erolfa rancid fish smell must be something else than ambergris...
    Last edited by DULLAH; 1st February 2008 at 06:52 AM.