Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: WOMEN ONLY! How do You Count Your Wardrobe?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Samples and up

4 7.02%
  • Decants/Minis and up (usually 5ml +)

15 26.32%
  • Any size (not samples) that has the company logo on it (i.e. a 5ml Mini, but not a 10ml decant)

11 19.30%
  • Large official complimentary sizes and up (i.e. Montale 20ml bottles, Lutens 15ml)

7 12.28%
  • Standard sized sale bottles only (usually 30ml+ though some houses differ)

20 35.09%

Default LADIES ONLY! How do You Count Your Wardrobe?

LADIES ONLY PLEASE!
    (same poll for men is in the men's section -
    I suspect there's a difference by gender)

Some of you have a dazzling number of fragrances in their Basenotes wardrobes. This begs the question of how do you count them?

Do you include things like samples, decants, miniatures (i.e. 5ml Lutens bottles sold by the perfume house vs decants) and large official complimentary samples (like Montale 20ml format or Lutens 15ml formats) or do you just include "proper" bottles, 30ml and up?

For the "standard size" option, that's usually 30ml and up, but often Pure Parfum and Extrait de Parfum sizes are much smaller, 8ml 10ml etc, and those should count as "Standard Sizes".

In terms of gender difference, my guess is that men will tend to only count the bottles, whereas women will tend to include non official sizes like decants. So let's see!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 5th December 2007 at 03:46 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: LADIES ONLY! How do You Count Your Wardrobe?

I only include scents in their "proper" original bottles and don't include samples. However I don't own any decants at the moment, and would include them if I had any in a volume over 10ml. For something to be included in my Basenotes Wardrobe it means that I would want to have a supply ready to use when the mood takes and that means 10ml minimum. I get through a 1ml sample in 2 uses so they don't hang around long. I only get samples to try out a fragrance, I don't collect them.
    Last edited by konglishbeauty; 5th December 2007 at 03:20 PM.

hail caesar!

i include samples but I list the bottles and decants above the list to prevent confusion..
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 5th December 2007 at 03:23 PM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Only standard-sized original bottles appear in my wardrobe, since I list all decants, of whatever quantity (up to a most generous 40 ml decant from a Basenotes sweetheart), in the "tested" section.

Minis (I own but a few) and samples (don't dare to count them) are not listed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

My current wardrobe reflects the 4th option best, but I also keep track of all my samples & decants in the Pending section, until I decide if they're FBW or just something I once tested.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I started by putting almost everything in "owned", but I've moved samples and small decants on hand, whether I've really tested or not to "tested", leaving "to test" for things I'm still looking for. I use pending for items that I've ordered and haven't yet received.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

In the Wardrobe I only include 'proper' bottles. I don't see the point of including testers since I tend to use them up in one go (ok, maybe 2). I don't have any decants at the moment.

Decants and up. I don't count samples as something I wear: I just use them to test scents, but they are not part of the rotation and I don't feel that I own the fragrance. A decant I something I bought or swapped and it's part of my collection.

I only count my bottles. I never knew about decants and didn't have anyone to trade with. So, if I like a perfume, then I buy the bottle. I don't have anything else except the samples from the store, but I never even considered counting them into my wardrobe. When I made my wardrobe, I only counted the ones I had a bottle of.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Bottles only in my wardrobe

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

If Grant could develop some method by which we could differentiate quantities, I'd love to organize my wardrobe more accurately--maybe three stars for authentic bottle, two stars for decant, and one star for sample size.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I put minis (not decants)and bottles in the own section.Decants are in the tested section.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 5th December 2007 at 08:54 PM.

I put decants in with my wardrobe because, as some one else said 'they're on the rotation' and there's enough there to give me a real chance to wear them.

Samples go into the 'to test' list, but then, that also includes things I like the sound of, so it's a bit muddled too.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I've put full bottles and minis in My Collection (this includes my husband's fragrances too.) I love minis! Many of the heavier fragrances I wear only in winter are mini-sized.
    Samples I put in Tested.
    Wish List is for things I just know I'll want, or have sampled and love.
    Things that sound interesting I put in To Test.
    Pending is where I put things I have ordered but they've not yet arrived, this includes samples, minis and full-sized bottles.

If it's an official bottle from the company, it's in my collection - so yes, my 1.5mL Chanel Parfums count

If it's a d*cant or a sample, it doesn't count, no matter how much I like it or how many of the d*cant bottles or sample vials I have.

Blog Entries

Decants in "to test"or "tested". Bottles in wardrobe. Did count a few Borsari minis in wardrobe, and one mini Samsara, which I keep in memory of my mom.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

happy is the bleu heart<3

I do have a few minis and include them in my wardrobe. I have a few of the larger decants listed also (mainly over 10ml decants and larger). I don't have samples (and smaller decants) listed anywhere because I have so darn many of them!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

For me, samples go into the "tested" area.
    Last edited by bernat; 6th December 2007 at 12:32 AM.

For me, full bottles are under "own" and decants/miniatures are under "pending" - it's not like I use the pending section otherwise (and in a way they are pending - I'm still trying to decide whether they are FBW).
    I'm too lazy to keep track of my samples though; they are not included in my wardrobe.

I hesitate to put minis in My Collection because I so rarely use them as my scent of the day. I see them more as a way to test and try out a fragrance. (And I'm usually too rushed in the mornings to bother with dabbing from the mini.)

I chose the 4th one because I have had some 15ml spray bottles that to me feel just like owning a regular bottle.

For some reason, decants just don't feel like they're mine yet. Maybe it's because I have never purchased a decant. All my decants have come from swapping in the past.

I only put full bottles on my wardrobe, the samples & decants usually goes to the tested section

Ah, good thing you posted this I just removed the large MDCI samples (10 ml.!) from the 'own' list.

So: only standard-sized original bottles on the 'own' list and everything else, large decants, mini's, samples, on the 'tested' list.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Yup full bottles here also!

Well, I do include my decants of 5ml or more, because most of them are pure parfum, very beloved, and have lasted me more than a year. I have three decants of Tabac Blond, for instance, the largest being 15mls. and I consider it one of my soul scents.

Out of my wardrobe, currently 48 are "authentic" bottles. I have nearly 200 samples
    the more you give the more you get
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I only put full bottles on my wardrobe, the samples & decants usually goes to the tested section
    now that's a good idea. maybe I'll do that (and expecting a giant sucking sound as the size of my collection drops to single digits, countable on one hand)

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

I have only full bttls. in my wardrobe as well, the exception being the Oscar parfum. A 1/4 oz. is the only size I could get the pure parfum in!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I don't count what I have. My list is constantly evolving, some come in new, some go out... but I agree that samples don't count as part of a wardrobe. I do put pictures of some of my favorites on my MUA picture gallery.
    Last edited by beachroses; 6th December 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Bottles only, however I do count minis for pure parfums (i.e.: Chanel's 5ml pure parfums). Since it's not that much smaller than the smallest "official" size of parfum (7.5ml) I figured it counts as a wardrobe item.

I don't count decants or samples or minis otherwise.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Hi,
    I do bottles 30ml edt-edp's and up only and pure perfume 7,5ml.

Put my sample vials and mini's in the tested and to test section.

How do I ever get this all used empty, lol, several are still never used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
    Bottles only, however I do count minis for pure parfums (i.e.: Chanel's 5ml pure parfums). Since it's not that much smaller than the smallest "official" size of parfum (7.5ml) I figured it counts as a wardrobe item.

I don't count decants or samples or minis otherwise.
    I agree, I consider my minis of pure parfum part of my collection. I would also count my large decants that I use regularly, since they hold quite a bit and I did pay for them. What bottle something comes in is irrelevant, imo.

The poll questions only allow limited text each, but I originally wanted to specify that small extrait de parfum, and pure parfum sizes of 5ml, 8ml, 10ml etc should count as official bottles and not minis, since those are the standard sizes for those concentrations.

So far, the results are interesting! The men are massively skewed towards standard bottles only, while the women are more across the map with many counting non-official decants, and other smaller formats.

Also there seem to be alot more men on this board than women - or at least more men who respond to the poll.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 9th December 2007 at 03:22 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS: