Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 128
  1. #1

    Default The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Just wanted to share. I'm newly converted to this petty common but new to me way of applying fragrance.
    I'm noticing MUCH more sillage from my fragrances by applying it to lower parts of my body then where I was applying them, on my neck and behind my ears.
    I noticed I never really got a whole lotta sillage by applying to my neck and behind my ears. It seemed like fragrance just raised up above everyone's noses.
    Anyway, by applying to the CHEST (upper and lower chest) and INNER ELBOW, I'm getting TONS of sillage. I was always afraid that applying under clothing would be counter productive to achieving sillage, but I'm way wrong. It seems fragrances are now radiating around my entire upper body.
    I also notice more compliments since I've changed to applying this way.

    Anywhoo, this is probably old hats to most of you, but for the rest of you... experiment and enjoy!

  2. #2
    graffham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    2,473

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Consider that the whole reason for eau de cologne historically was to 'cover up' the body's less pleasant odours, it puts me in a state when I hear and read of basenoters relegating fragrance to only the wrists, neck and behind the ears! And then they complain that they get no longevity!

    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Douse it on baby!

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    i actually try and avoid a lot of sillage. i prefer my scent to lay close to the skin. sadly, a lot of my favorite scents are absolutely sillage monsters, in which case i normally just use one spray at the base of the neck, so i can smell it

    i'm more concerned about longevity rather than sillage. i don't like to leave a trail...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

  4. #4
    r2s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Yep, I converted to this method a few months ago and wish I had done it earlier!

    Certainly improves sillage and longevity.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Does applying to the elbows still make a difference with long sleeved clothes?

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    Does applying to the elbows still make a difference with long sleeved clothes?
    Inner elbows.. yeap it does make a difference.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  7. #7

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Inner elbows.. yeap it does make a difference.
    I've tried it on one elbow. It actually does seem to come through my shirt quite well.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    I think another secret to it is doing a bit of exercise when the sillage goes missing.
    Just do a couple of push-ups or use the stairs instead of the elevator and you'll get instant sillage revival.
    Thank you for the tips!

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Yup. Body heat will deff raise sillage.
    Regarding the elbows under the shirt question, it comes through well! I actually a while back opened a thread titles "Applying fragrance under clothes?". I just didn't understand. Now I see the light.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    When I spray on a fragrance, I always include 1 or 2 sprays to the chest.
    It does indeed enlarge the sillage and longevity.
    Only spraying to the neck and wrists is just wrong and stupid.

    This works very good with Terre d'Hermes.
    Two sprays to the chest, and you're set for the whole day!

  11. #11
    zatarain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    I have found that when spraying to the chest and inner elbows, even when I allow time for the fragrance to dry/be absorbed, there is still a noticeable amount that is absorbed into the fabric of my clothing. The fragrance that is absorbed in the fabric does not develop the same and tends to remain more representative of the top notes. Since I almost invariably prefer the base notes, I usually only apply to parts of my body that are not in regular contact with fabric.
    Last edited by zatarain; 5th December 2007 at 07:45 PM.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    With fragrances that I don't really care for the tops as much as the rest, I will apply and wait a bit shirtless.

    On occasion i've sprayed between my shoulders, on my back.
    I did it at first, because I wanted to smell that way, but not smell it myself because I had a killer headache.

    I made it an occasional habit after that becuase it makes for a different experience

  13. #13

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    I used to spray my neck, but no more.
    Just those two shots to the chest work wonders, even under clothes .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  14. #14
    Divatologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    I think that applying your frag all over gives wonderful sillage. I have been wearing it that way for years. You guys will also find that if you wash well enough to exfoliate and moisturize your skin well, you will experience the sillage and longevity you have been looking for.


    I always spray my frag on after I have stepped out the shower. Please don't step out of the shower sweating. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of shower. I leave my whole upper body damp and dry the rest off. I spray my chest, each of the twins....giggle, my stomach, both lower and upper arms, and my neck. I spread the frag all over my upper body with the water left on my skin. I let myself air dry. The water doesn't alter the scent on me, it helps to spread it all over. I find that those areas of me that are covered up hold the fragrance much longer than those parts that are exposed. Like sometimes when I wear a short sleeve shirt, my arms will still have a trace of the frag I put on, but it will be kind of faded and not smell quite the same as when I stick my nose in my shirt from the top and take a whiff. I love smelling myself....giggle. I love smelling perfume in my clothes after I have worn them. I get compliments all the time on how good I smell.

    There's nothing better for me than getting a big hug from a good smelling man and having traces of his cologne left on me to remember him by. I love catching a whiff of him when he's not there. Ooooohh when he leaves traces of his cologne in my sheets....giggle...I sleep like a baby.

    Here's to all the good smelling men out there.......
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

    Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

    "The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

    www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

  15. #15

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    I think that applying your frag all over gives wonderful sillage. I have been wearing it that way for years. You guys will also find that if you wash well enough to exfoliate and moisturize your skin well, you will experience the sillage and longevity you have been looking for.


    I always spray my frag on after I have stepped out the shower. Please don't step out of the shower sweating. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of shower. I leave my whole upper body damp and dry the rest off. I spray my chest, each of the twins....giggle, my stomach, both lower and upper arms, and my neck. I spread the frag all over my upper body with the water left on my skin. I let myself air dry. The water doesn't alter the scent on me, it helps to spread it all over. I find that those areas of me that are covered up hold the fragrance much longer than those parts that are exposed. Like sometimes when I wear a short sleeve shirt, my arms will still have a trace of the frag I put on, but it will be kind of faded and not smell quite the same as when I stick my nose in my shirt from the top and take a whiff. I love smelling myself....giggle. I love smelling perfume in my clothes after I have worn them. I get compliments all the time on how good I smell.

    There's nothing better for me than getting a big hug from a good smelling man and having traces of his cologne left on me to remember him by. I love catching a whiff of him when he's not there. Ooooohh when he leaves traces of his cologne in my sheets....giggle...I sleep like a baby.

    Here's to all the good smelling men out there.......

    You turn me on bebeh.

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    You turn me on bebeh.
    LOL
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Salvador, Bahia
    Posts
    2,298

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Consider that the whole reason for eau de cologne historically was to 'cover up' the body's less pleasant odours, it puts me in a state when I hear and read of basenoters relegating fragrance to only the wrists, neck and behind the ears! And then they complain that they get no longevity!

    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Douse it on baby!
    AGREED!!!
    I really don't understand the purpose of spraying with parcimony the wrists and neck... and then, have a hard time seeking for a hint of smell...
    That's why I spray a lot: neck, chest, behind the ears, wrists, inner elbow and back. (Of course, I spray like this when I'm wearing casual/fresh fragrances)
    Currently wearing: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

  18. #18

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    double Agreed!
    I TRULY don't understand the people round these parts that almost sorta brag about spraying only 1 or 2 sprays. Like, your not cool if you spray more then once or twice. IMO, whats the point then?
    I know some fragrances are strong like Terre and A*men, but even when I do wear them, I spray more then 2 times... I don't get to the point where I'm reaking though, but always more then the IMO no point once or twice.

  19. #19
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,795

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    double Agreed!
    I TRULY don't understand the people round these parts that almost sorta brag about spraying only 1 or 2 sprays. Like, your not cool if you spray more then once or twice. IMO, whats the point then?
    I know some fragrances are strong like Terre and A*men, but even when I do wear them, I spray more then 2 times... I don't get to the point where I'm reaking though, but always more then the IMO no point once or twice.
    I don't know how you'd find them, but I've made the same point as you here about a dozen times over the years - usually as a response to "less is more" threads.

    More specifically, I keep asking the question of what's the point of one or two sprays, when every other guy wearing Gillette or Brut aftershave or Brut, Old Spice or Lynx underarm deodorant will beat you hands down in the output stakes (at least in the morning before they conk out)? Not to mention all the women whose perfume will totally drown out the one or two sprays.

    To which I often get the answer that the one or two sprays is a purely personal thing, that only that person wants to smell it and he doesn't want anyone else to smell it. To which I reply - well, fair enough, that's your decision, but uhhmm - what's the point?
    Renato

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I don't know how you'd find them, but I've made the same point as you here about a dozen times over the years - usually as a response to "less is more" threads.

    More specifically, I keep asking the question of what's the point of one or two sprays, when every other guy wearing Gillette or Brut aftershave or Brut, Old Spice or Lynx underarm deodorant will beat you hands down in the output stakes (at least in the morning before they conk out)? Not to mention all the women whose perfume will totally drown out the one or two sprays.

    To which I often get the answer that the one or two sprays is a purely personal thing, that only that person wants to smell it and he doesn't want anyone else to smell it. To which I reply - well, fair enough, that's your decision, but uhhmm - what's the point?
    Renato
    lol... triple agreed!!!

    WHAT'S THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  21. #21
    r2s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Well I guess the point in that instance would be to enjoy your fragrance by yourself, or to enjoy your fragrance without being concerned whether others can smell it or not.

    For me I like to enjoy my own fragrance but would also like to leave a suggestion of the fragrance for others to enjoy too.

  22. #22

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    I wear fragrances to smell good to myself, sure, but to smell good to others as well!!! I wear it to project an image and to leave an impression. To smell sexy. For others to be intrigued.
    I will NEVER understand the 1 or 2 spray guys round here that only 'wear it for themselves'. Don't you want to make an impression on others? To have an image about yourself? To smell good for women, ect...?

    Whats the stinking (no pun in tended) point people!

    I guess I should of added to the first post:
    Oh yeah, and spray more then once or twice too!

  23. #23

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Oh I spray a lot, and typically it's always sternum, inside elbows, sometimes stomach and lower back too. If it's parfum I'll dab inner elbows, wrists, behind my ears, between my collar bones, sternum and around my belly button.
    Applying only to wrists would be fruitless as, as long as I'm at work, they're resting on a warm laptop, and thus any scent is gone pretty quickly.

  24. #24
    r2s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    You have to consider different scents strength too though. I mean I only spray 1 or 2 doses of JPG 2 as it is THAT strong. The same with Luten's Fumerie and Chergui and also Divine's L'Homme Sage. I would challenge anyone to spary more than 2-3 sprays max with these bad boyz!

  25. #25
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,795

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    You have to consider different scents strength too though. I mean I only spray 1 or 2 doses of JPG 2 as it is THAT strong. The same with Luten's Fumerie and Chergui and also Divine's L'Homme Sage. I would challenge anyone to spary more than 2-3 sprays max with these bad boyz!
    I wear 6 sprays minimum under my clothes of any scent I put on. I own JPG2, and use 6 sprays of it. In fact, I think I added an extra chest shot last time I wore it.

    The only bad boy I know of is Joop Homme, where I might tone it down to 4 sprays some times, depending on the occasion.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th December 2007 at 02:51 PM.

  26. #26
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    When I owned JPG2 it seems I used somewhere between 10 and 15 sprays.

    And if you think that's bad, then you should ask Col how many he uses.

  27. #27
    r2s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I wear 6 sprays minimum under my clothes of any scent I put on. I own JPG2, and use 6 sprays of it. In fact, I think I added an extra chest shot last time I wore it.

    The only bad boy I know of is Joop Homme, where I might tone it down to 4 sprays some times, depending on the occasion.
    Renato

    Hmm ok, thats a lot of sprays to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    When I owned JPG2 it seems I used somewhere between 10 and 15 sprays.

    And if you think that's bad, then you should ask Col how many he uses.
    Fu*k me 10-15 sprays?!!!!! People would smell you very LOUDLY from a half mile off!! That is way over the top for me. I mean I like to have a sillage but I dont wanna reek a whole room out. Shit man you serious?

  28. #28
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    Hmm ok, thats a lot of sprays to me.



    Fu*k me 10-15 sprays?!!!!! People would smell you very LOUDLY from a half mile off!! That is way over the top for me. I mean I like to have a sillage but I dont wanna reek a whole room out. Shit man you serious?
    Does the Pope shit in the woods? Does a bear wear a funny hat?

    Yes.

  29. #29
    r2s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Does the Pope shit in the woods? Does a bear wear a funny hat?

    Yes.

    Hairy muff!

    Just for an experiment I will try 10 sprays of JPG2 tonight before I go out! Do you have a routine I should follow (say 4 to chest, 1 each on wrists and inside elbow, 2 to my upper thighs and then maybe 1 for the schlong?)

  30. #30

    Default Re: The Secret to Sillage!!!

    It depends on the individual. As a sillage slayer extraordinaire, JPG2 does not project that much on me, it stays very close to the skin. Same with Le Male. Aquatics are just dead on me ten minutes later. I had given up on the "LIGHT FRESH" variety long before I discovered Basenotes.

    Even with sillage slayers, there are some fragrance exceptions. More than two sprays of Polo Green or Grey Flannel, or even Aspen will have me leaving a trail wherever I go (one reason why I love those classics--they LAST on me). Coty Musk for Men, something that is also light on others, is another sillage powerhouse on me.

    So, I guess I can see where some people could use 10-15 sprays. My mother, another sillage slayer, uses around 6-8 sprays, and is only detectable when you hug her. And that's with Ambush EDT, Tabu, and Jovan Musk, which are pretty potent as far as inexpensive brands go. My grandmother, on the other hand, projects with 2 sprays of Chantilly or Emeraude.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Similar Threads

  1. sillage = top notes?
    By kdo in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 29th April 2013, 02:52 AM
  2. Noir Epices (Frederic Malle) vs. Secret Melange (MPG)
    By mikeperez23 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th March 2012, 04:43 PM
  3. Beautiful Sillage Experiences
    By DustB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 04:43 PM
  4. Thierry Mugler creates a scent for Victoria's Secret...
    By MFfan310 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th September 2006, 01:13 PM
  5. How do you measure sillage?
    By MadScientist in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th January 2006, 03:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000