Code of Conduct

Thread: Sillage Slayer

Default Sillage Slayer

I am most definitely a sillage slayer, which I'm pretty sure means fragrances just don't last very long on me and others cannot smell them unless they are RIGHT next to me. Walking by them does not give the scent, they literally have to smell my neck or chest to smell the fragrances. So, HELP!!! I am tried all kinds of different scents, and none of them have carried on me for more than say 2 hours AT MOST, but even then people more than 6 inches away from me can't smell it. As I stated before, it doesn't matter if its GIT, any CK, or any Polo (although the original Polo probably carries itself best on me). I have tried well over 40 frags (see my wardrobe) and they all fade very quickly. I have a couple of guesses:

Am I applying it wrong, i.e. in the wrong spots, from the wrong distance, or the wrong number of sprays (mostly sprays, tried to dab with two of them, it was even worse than the spray)?

I am a very hairy guy. Is the hair getting in the way? Is there some way to overcome this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!

Default Re: Sillage Slayer

Hair actually retain scents better than bare skin. Your wardrobe consists of quite a few "sillage monsters" and unless you're doing half-sprays, I don't know why they shouldn't project. I'm guessing it's the old "olfactory fatigue" going on here, you smell the same thing long enough, you'll stop noticing it. Happens to me all the time - even with Opium ph.

I find the upper chest/base of neck best, it's not the side of your neck close to your nose so the habituation would take longer. It's also underneath the clothes so your body heat warms it up. 2-3, 4 if you have to, but don't over do it just because you loose sense after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Hair actually retain scents better than bare skin. Your wardrobe consists of quite a few "sillage monsters" and unless you're doing half-sprays, I don't know why they shouldn't project. I'm guessing it's the old "olfactory fatigue" going on here, you smell the same thing long enough, you'll stop noticing it. Happens to me all the time - even with Opium ph.

I find the upper chest/base of neck best, it's not the side of your neck close to your nose so the habituation would take longer. It's also underneath the clothes so your body heat warms it up. 2-3, 4 if you have to, but don't over do it just because you loose sense after a while.
    So is this the same for my wife? Even after I put them on and walk out of the bathroom, she doesn't smell quite a few of them. It's good to know that the hair retains the scent better, I'll spray on hair areas.

I've had a little success with spraying on the top of my head. Is this weird???

http://www.vitacost.com/Desert-Essen...t-Tea-Tree-Oil

I recommended this in the natural deodorants thread, but it has a great dual purpose. On scents that seems to disappear into the skin after an hour or two, apply a swipe of that deodorant before spraying the area, and you'll find that the scent projects much louder and much longer. The deodorant, when first applied, has a very light natural odor, and this fades within 15-20 minutes and it becomes virtually scentless. I've not found it to clash or color the scent of any of my colognes though, even if applying them before the faint odor of the deodorant fades. One thing you may notice though, is that your cologne evolves more slowly - and this is simply because it's not interacting directly with your skin, so the heat and acidity will take longer to do their work.

Also note that the deodorant contains farnesol, which according to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnesol) is often used in perfumery to emphasize the odors of sweet floral perfumes. I don't think there's enough in the deodorant though to distinctly change the emphasis of a scent - it hasn't with any of mine.

It does work though, and quite well at that.

Okay, I have another thought

I was reading another thread on this topic and discovered that I might need to spray more. Also, are my areas right?

I spray on my chest and the back of my neck. Is the back of my neck right, or should it be the base or side of my neck.

Also, there is a lot of discussion about being moisturized. I'm not going to put lotion on my chest because it would be a huge mess due to the hair.

Finally, it has been suggested that I spray the "inside" of my elbow. What does this mean? The "elbow pit" or the true inside of my elbow (the part that stays against my body if my palms faced forward (the bony part that sticks out)?

Thanks for your help!!! I'm going to try the tea tree oil suggestion as well. Thanks for that.

Have you tried behind the ears and wrists? Those are pulse points that don't really sweat under normal conditions.