Code of Conduct

Default What to wear when meeting congress?

Hi all,

I'm heading to Washington DC next Tuesday and will be meeting some sub-committees of congress regarding the automotive industry (fuel economy stuff!). So I will be meeting some of the leaders in congress and so it begs the question: what does one wear when meeting people at this level?

My first thought was something unabtrusive yet clean and fresh - something like Gendarme (I have Gendarme 20). But it might be too "coolish" for the cool weather. Then there is some choices like Caron's 3rd man, but that might be too up front. Oh what about something more classical, yet not overbearing? I also have Nikolai's New York.

Another I like is Gucci Higher Energy and another thought is Terre d'Hermes.

Any thoughts from anyone else? What would you wear to such an event?
    By the way, we will be in close quarters for several hours (round table) and then in a more open venue. Later for a dinner party - not tux formal, but nice suite and tie. More of a working dinner.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Default Re: What to wear when meeting congress?

Lot's of anti-perspirant.

Your're goal is to make a good impression for your case, not charm the pants off of the congress people. You have no clue what these people like in fragrances, so its best to wear something innoffensive/very close to the skin. e.g Kouros is out on both counts.

Last thing you want to do is annoy somone in power who for whatever reason doesn't like your choice of fragrance.

l'Anarchiste

Just kidding. From your wardrobe, I'd probably choose Ungaro III followed by Versace l'Homme.
    Last edited by lasta; 7th December 2007 at 11:32 PM.

Smile Re: What to wear when meeting congress?

I guess I would go with Third man or the santel. Sandalwood is always nice and I think it is a nice inoffensive cool weather scent. Third man sprayed lightly is a good cool weather scent as well.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Smile Re: What to wear when meeting congress?

Reminds me too much of this thread:
    "I want to smell like a beaver's behind! " :-)
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

From your collection, the two that pop out to me are Versace L'Homme and Creed Himalaya.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I second LiveJazz's recommendation of Versace, lightly applied.

Good luck!
    You are not your perfume.

CdG Garage.

I kid, I kid.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Snake oil...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I am not sure what the proper fragrance to wear would be, but if I were meeting this Congress about increasing vehicular fuel economy, I would definitely wear hip boots
    Last edited by kbe; 8th December 2007 at 01:26 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

You mentioned Terre d'Hermes as a possibility, but it does not show in your wardrobe.

So, if you are open to purchasing a fragrance, I would recommend Tiffany for Men, Chanel pour Monsieur (1955, if possible) or Heritage by Guerlain.

From your existing wardrobe, I would chose Michael for Men - a very rich and distinguished scent that stays fairly close to the skin and won't be overpowering.

I almost missed the fact that you have Nicolai's New York. Take New York for daytime and Michael for the evening.

Have fun, it sounds like a very enjoyable trip.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

get yourself some gillette clinical strength deodorant and spray either gendarme or mugler cologne on your chest and you will smell fresh, clean and confident and others around you will recognize that you smell clean, but I believe you want your message to make a statement, not your cologne....good luck, but heed my advice!

Himalaya and tell them to get .......
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 8th December 2007 at 11:38 PM.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Dunhill for Men. They will think you are a subtle, stylish gent.

New York, Bois du Portugal, Chevalier d'Orsay.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Royal Briar. I mean it was Ronald Reagan's favorite scent after all.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I am not sure what the proper fragrance to wear would be, but if I were meeting this Congress about increasing vehicular fuel economy, I would definitely wear hip boots

This is the correct response.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Egoiste

Or maybe SMN Nostalgia (rubber and gasoline).

Have fun,
    Tim

Carthusia Uomo...versatile and very classy. Not overpowering. Decent longevity too.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    So, if you are open to purchasing a fragrance, I would recommend Tiffany for Men, Chanel pour Monsieur (1955, if possible) or Heritage by Guerlain.
    I agree heartily on the first two, and I am on the lookout for the third for me. Chuck in Dunhill (the 1934) if you can get it, and you can't go wrong.