Code of Conduct

Question Which scent for the mood "hard-boiled"?

My premise is that a fragrance, because of its composition, might enhance a mood one is trying to get into. Due to private irritations ("amoureux") at the moment I'd like to transpose myself into a hard-boiled mood, kind of "Hemingwayisch" indifference, which is, of course, only affected. So, yes, I need a perfume that's right "for the job", not "for the man". I couldn't picture myself appealing to be cold to others while wearing e.g. orientals. What's your opinion - which scents could do? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Default Re: Which scent for the mood "hard-boiled"?

Dali Pour Homme perhaps? It's dark, brooding, a bit standoffish.

Perhaps Yatagan or Kurous? Both shout confidence and fu** anybody that doesnt like it.

Some cold vetiver scents, like Querelle by Parfumerie Generale.
    Chypre Cuir family - Aramis, Bandit, Antaeus, Van Cleef&Arpels pour homme, etc.
    Derby Guerlain and Aoud Cuir d`Arabie Montale too.
    Or Black Morabito.
    Some Fougere Aromatique - Egoiste Platinum, Tsar, Rive Gauche pour homme, Ungaro III, etc.

Try to find the masculine scents from 50-80-s of XX century.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Caron L'Anarchiste (blood and metal: f..ck you all)
    Tauer Lone Star (powerfully birchy leather: this town's too small for the both of us)
    Creed Santal Imperial (sandalwood in a distant, unapproachable register: lowly peasants, all of you, be gone)
    Eau d'Hermes (lush, but animalically dirty: you may not like it but sorry, l'état, c'est moi)

and perhaps, Vendetta pour homme, just for the name (it's quiite a beautiful fragrance, though the dry labdanum qualifies as quite masculine, if not entirely hardboiled)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Never has there been a better occasion to wear Iris Silver Mist.....

Bitchin'......Idole de Lubin

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

I completely agree with the good life about Caron L'Anarchiste, definitely a cold thick armour to say f@ck u all! and in a très chic way!

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the Yatagan recommendation. I will also add Garage (Synthetic Series) by Comme des Garcons.

Both Bois D'Argent and En Passant are cool and distant fragrances, though neither are aggressive. Creed's Cuir de Russie comes close, being very dry and cool, almost camphoraceous. Cuir d'Iris is dry, leathery and rooty in a rather aggressive way. French Lover is strongly herbal; almost medicinally so, and is definitely stand-offish in that sense, though it's best to be aware of its slightly culinary notes.

Good suggestions, but I think hard boiled means not showing too much of anything so I add Mouchoir de Monsieur for "distant hard edged"
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'm already that way so I don't need any help.

Jules and Querelle provide a good focus and takin care of business feel.

My connotation of hard-boiled is cold, distant, callous, unsentimental, practical and tough. There are a few a scents that fit the bill. I strongly agree with the aforementioned Querelle and Garage. I would also add Profumum Fumidus for its edgy, smoky, woody vetiver accords.

If had to select one, Querelle. It sometimes makes me feel like I am wearing the fragrance equivalent of the middle finger. I like that.

Blenheim Bouquet is not Hemingwayesque, but it is cold, aloof, almost indifferent and almost chilly. Hard-boiled isn't exactly what an English Lord would say, but the idea is right. This is what you would wear if you were going to say, " I understand you have a vexing problem my dear, but if you would be so kind as to hand me my hat and coat I will bid you goodnight".
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 7th December 2007 at 03:14 AM.

The first two that I thought of were the same as r2s - Yatagan and Kouros.

Kouros was my SotD and presented my position so perfectly that I didn't have to utter a word!

I would also offer Bel Ami, Knize Ten and Parfum d'Habit as worthy additions to your list.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 7th December 2007 at 03:58 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I say Aqua Velva. Nothing says "I don't care" like a $4 bottle of cologne.

If that's a little too much, I would go with Kouros. "Yeah, I just pee'd my pants. So what?!" But in a good way.
    You are not your perfume.

Off-Scenter

I know the mood well...

Yatagan
    Parfum d'Habit
    Black Aoud
    Parfum d'Habit
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Parfum d'Habit
    Knize Ten

Oh, and did I forget to mention Parfum d'Habit? "F#ck off!" in a bottle.

The dictionary describes the term "hard boiled" to be "tough, unsentimental . . . marked by a direct clear headed approach." I imagine there are hard boiled fragrances in most scent categories. I think of a tough but no nonsense, tight lipped, ready for response kind of attitude. These fragrances come to mind:

Gendarme
    Polo Black
    Paul Smith Story
    Armani Double Black
    Armani Prive Jade
    Cuiron
    Dzongka
    Zagorsk
    Dry Clean
    Isfarkand PH
    Paprika Brazil
    Encre Noire
    Tabac

Whenever I smell Bel Ami, I think of some brooding guy sitting in a darkened and smoky study with a single light on in the corner. Who knows what he's doing, but he isn't very happy, and would probably not answer the door.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Paprika Brazil
    I find Paprika Brasil positively salty, briny and Meditteranean - it reminds me of pimentos, saffron and salt. I can't imagine a 'hard boiled' man smelling like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I find Paprika Brasil positively salty, briny and Meditteranean - it reminds me of pimentos, saffron and salt. I can't imagine a 'hard boiled' man smelling like this.
    A "deviled" man, perhaps.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    LMAO

OMG, I spit my water out of my mouth when I read this...my keyboard's wet...

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Hahaha, nice.

Throwing in another vote for Knize 10.

Also, Anvers by Ulrich Lang.

Cool Re: Which scent for the mood "hard-boiled"?

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    My premise is that a fragrance, because of its composition, might enhance a mood one is trying to get into. Due to private irritations ("amoureux") at the moment I'd like to transpose myself into a hard-boiled mood, kind of "Hemingwayisch" indifference, which is, of course, only affected. So, yes, I need a perfume that's right "for the job", not "for the man". I couldn't picture myself appealing to be cold to others while wearing e.g. orientals. What's your opinion - which scents could do? Thanks in advance for your replies.

So, nothing even vaguely romantic? Nothing too refined either?
    OK, that kills Blenheim Bouquet and Vintage Tabarome, but it does narrow it down:

Azarro PH
    Carlo Corinto
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Peau d'Espagne
    and of course, Yatagan

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Guess I have a problem deciphering "hard boiled". Sorry. I was thinking more fresh and wide awake.

A dry leather scent, Royal English Leather. Sends the message "I will suffer no fools!"