Code of Conduct

Default Finding a signature scent for my mother

Actually, I'm looking for two signature scents for my mother, one citrusy fragrance for summer and a rich spicy scent for winter.
    As for the spicy one, I don't have much to go on, other than that her old signature fragrance was Bellodgia and she quite likes Poivre ( the other Carons she's tried - Tabac Blond, Narcisse Noire, Pois De Senteur and Farnesiana - didn't work too well for her ). Her favorite flowers are tuberose ( Carnal Flower didn't work well for her though ), carnation, sweet pea, freesia and orange flower. She loathes lavender, so please keep this in mind. She's also not too fond of vanilla, or food scents. She liked my Knize Ten and loved Santa Maria Novella's Spanish Leather, so leather scents are definitely a possibility, but "spicy" is something she mentions a lot, so if something could be found in that area, great! She's also mentioned finding something that smells like the older Youth Dew; she's not fond of the modern variety at all.
    As for the citrus fragrance, I have something more definite to work with: she's told me the closest thing she's found to the perfect citrus fragrance is Roger and Gallet's Vetiver soap. I've never smelled it, but I'm sure some people here might have a few suggestions!
    Something to keep in mind: fragrances disappear very, very quickly on my mother.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Finding a signature scent for my mother

What about the best spicy leather fragrance I know of: Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque?

Sorry I can't be of any help with a scent similar to R&G Vétiver soap, I've never smelled it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Is your Mom nearby? If so I'd suggest a quick trip to Van, a nice lunch and a consult with Nasrin at The Perfume Shoppe. And your Mom has lovely taste, and certainly loves her carnations.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Shame she didn't get on with Tabac Blond, it's a great leather scent. For 'spice', I'd recommend Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, or SL Ambre Sultan (and if perfume disappears on her, she'll probably find all of those are great for longevity).
    Last edited by Clemmie; 6th December 2007 at 08:51 PM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Just thought I might add: Estee was another fragrance she used to wear, if that helps.
    Keep the suggestions coming: the more the merrier, and the better the chance of finding the right one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    What about the best spicy leather fragrance I know of: Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque?
    Thanks! I looked at the notes and they sound perfect, so, fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    For 'spice', I'd recommend Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, or SL Ambre Sultan (and if perfume disappears on her, she'll probably find all of those are great for longevity).
    Interesting; I'll order samples those two.

Youth Dew is pretty spicy and long-lasting, no?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post

As for the spicy one, I don't have much to go on, other than that her old signature fragrance was Bellodgia and she quite likes Poivre ( the other Carons she's tried - Tabac Blond, Narcisse Noire, Pois De Senteur and Farnesiana - didn't work too well for her ). Her favorite flowers are tuberose ( Carnal Flower didn't work well for her though ), carnation, sweet pea, freesia and orange flower. She loathes lavender, so please keep this in mind.
    If she loved Bellodgia - she should try another Caron - Parfum Sacré.

For something lighter suggest that you try Aqua Allegoria Foliflora - sweet pea and freesia are major notes on me. She can spray liberally.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

How about Cristalle for the Summer? It has Vetiver in its notes and
    is a refreshing scent.
    For winter I would recommend Feminite du Bois.

As a fellow Bellodgia lover I think she may like Coco Chanel or also Parfume Sacre as someone else recommended. For a lighter soapy citrisy scent I Iike Annick Goutal Folavril. Happy Hunting

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

If she likes Bellodgia I think she loves Soie Rouge MPG and Le parfum de Therèse (fall/winter)

Thé pour une été AP and En Passant Giacobetti for spring/summer
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Here's my two cents worth on the spicy fragrance: Must de Cartier and Badgley Mischka. I don't think either are really "spicy", but might capture some of what your mom wants when she says spicy.

As for the citrus, this is a little off the wall, but what about Caleche Fleurs de Mediteranee (ltd ed at Neiman Marcus). Its got the bergamot/citrus of traditional Caleche with a mimosa note and a pumped up vetiver note in the base. Its elegant and beautiful, IMO.

Spicy: I second Parfum Sacre, Must de Cartier, or Coco EDP or Extrait.

Citrus: there is nothing more hesperadically divine for a mature lady than Eau de Hadrien by Annick Goutal. It induced a quite literal and slightly embarrassing swoon from me at Barney's a few years ago. Also consider Nuit de Hadrien.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 8th December 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Actually, I'm looking for two signature scents for my mother, one citrusy fragrance for summer and a rich spicy scent for winter.
    As for the spicy one, I don't have much to go on, other than that her old signature fragrance was Bellodgia and she quite likes Poivre ( the other Carons she's tried - Tabac Blond, Narcisse Noire, Pois De Senteur and Farnesiana - didn't work too well for her ).
    I honestly can't think of a better carnation scent than Bellodgia and Poivre - why won't you just get her a pure parfum from the Caron store in New York? They take orders by phone. The only downside is that they only ship to the US - so you'll need to find someone to do the favour of accepting it for you and than also ship it to you. Poivre in parfum is just amazing. I haven't tried Bellodgia in parfum, but I can only imagine it will be even better than the EDT I tried.
    But if you insist on something new - there is Commes de Garcons Carnatnion (from the Red Series), which is quite nice; Opium for a very carnatnion and clove rich oriental; There is also MPG's Dianthus (which you can find at The Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver - I've never tried it though, but I'm sure other Basenoters could chime in), and lastly - I will be bringing a new soliflore this winter - a spicy carnation perfume entitled InCarnation, and I would be more than happy to send you a sample for your mother to try (as well as my tuberose and orange blossom soliflores - Zohar and White Potion). If you're at all interested, just contact me with your mailing address and you should have it at your doorstep in a couple of days.
    Her favorite flowers are tuberose ( Carnal Flower didn't work well for her though ), carnation, sweet pea, freesia and orange flower. She loathes lavender, so please keep this in mind. She's also not too fond of vanilla, or food scents. She liked my Knize Ten and loved Santa Maria Novella's Spanish Leather, so leather scents are definitely a possibility, but "spicy" is something she mentions a lot, so if something could be found in that area, great! She's also mentioned finding something that smells like the older Youth Dew; she's not fond of the modern variety at all.
    For tuberose, may I suggest Fracas - a classic, creamy but slightly green tuberose (and a very strong perfume, so it might help with the longevity on your mother's skin).
    Another option, though I'm not sure it'd work as well, is Noix de Tubereuse by Miller Harris. It can be found at the Fairmont Hotel gift shops, or at Holt Renfrew. Your mother may even try Feuilles de Tabac, Miller Harris' leather-tobacco fragrance (and my personal favourite from the line).
    For orange blossom - try Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens, which has plenty of tuberose and also a very good lasting power and sillage.
    As for the citrus fragrance, I have something more definite to work with: she's told me the closest thing she's found to the perfect citrus fragrance is Roger and Gallet's Vetiver soap. I've never smelled it, but I'm sure some people here might have a few suggestions!
    You might want to check the Roger et Gallet line, I am pretty sure (but not 100&#37 that they have a matching EDT spray for this soap. They sure do for most of their soaps. I've seen the line at The Bay in Vancouver, so you should be able to find it in Victoria in no time. And if you can't I can do the job for you as I live very close to The Bay in downtown Vancouver.
    Other citrusy vetiver fragrance I can recommend is Guerlain's Vetiver.

Something to keep in mind: fragrances disappear very, very quickly on my mother.
    For that she might want to wear oil based fragrances whenever available in her favourite scents; or apply a dab of jojoba oil on the wrist before applying the perfume. Scents tend to disappear quicker on dry and/or mature skins, while oily skin retains the scent far better. The jojoba oil, which simulates the skin's natural sebum, can be the solution.
    Last edited by Ayala; 8th December 2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: More ideas
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

spicy winter suggestions:
    En Avion by Caron
    French CanCan by Caron
    Normandie by Jean Patou

summery fragrances:

Kelly Caleche by Hermes
    Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes