Code of Conduct

Default Swimming in Purple Water

I have to tell everyone that a recent thread here inspired me to take a trip to the local TJ Maxx because of a purple water sighting....its all true...freakin 16 bucks total(tax included) for a 1.7 bottle of purple water...they had like 3 boxes left. I will start by saying that at first I was unsure about the scent; sprayed it on and rummaged thru some of the other already opened frags. At first it does smell like something the Queen of England would wear and not the prince...but then it dries to something, imo, akin to truefitt and hill west indian lime or art of shaving lemon...pleasant classic citrus for the austere. Very nice. Oh yeah, it also has one of the coolest bottle designs i have seen in a long time...its simple, elegant and refined....awesome. Thanks for the heads up on this one guys!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Swimming in Purple Water

Yes, I jumped on the Purple bandwagon many months ago after reading the_good_life's funny description of it in the BN reviews.

When I wear it I feel very distinguished, clean and slightly 'dandy' if I don't say so myself. The only other scent in my wardrobe that comes close to this are my CdG Cologne Series - but PW has this little something that differentiates it from the cookie cutter splash cologne(s) on the market.

Glad to see this 'sleeper' getting some much overdue praise here on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes, I jumped on the Purple bandwagon many months ago after reading the_good_life's funny description of it in the BN reviews.

When I wear it I feel very distinguished, clean and slightly 'dandy' if I don't say so myself. The only other scent in my wardrobe that comes close to this are my CdG Cologne Series - but PW has this little something that differentiates it from the cookie cutter splash cologne(s) on the market.

Glad to see this 'sleeper' getting some much overdue praise here on the boards.
    mike, i was wondering if you knew if this one is like guerlains imperiale? After smelling this one and reading guerlain's description, they sound like they would be similar....am i way off base with that one? I did see on the inside of the box how to make it a splash, but the only colognes i am willing to splash are those that i just like ok...for instance azzarro onyx and royall lyme...nice but worthy of a liberal dousing to smell good and get rid of the stuff faster so you can purchase something better! ha ha

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    mike, i was wondering if you knew if this one is like guerlains imperiale? After smelling this one and reading guerlain's description, they sound like they would be similar....am i way off base with that one? I did see on the inside of the box how to make it a splash, but the only colognes i am willing to splash are those that i just like ok...for instance azzarro onyx and royall lyme...nice but worthy of a liberal dousing to smell good and get rid of the stuff faster so you can purchase something better! ha ha
    I will let the_good_life answer this - he owns both (I don't). Hopefully he'll see this thread and comment.

From a general fragrance perspective you might find Imperiale and Purple similar in the sense that they are light citrus-oriented colognes, but within the Eau de Cologne world I would say they are markedly different. Imperiale follows classic Farina-style cologne prescriptions, so it bears strong resemblances to Farina Gegenüber, Roger & Gallet JM Farina, Nicolai's Cologne Sologne or Villoresi's Colonia (though they are sufficiently diverse to justify having them all ): That classic blend of herbs (rosemary), lemon, bergamot, neroli. Asprey has a more "modern" feel to it (mandarin, ginger, pepper), it's also more floral (like Acqua di Genova) and I suspect a higher amount of synthetics providing the opportunity for a little creativity - like perhaps that unusual "jacaranda" note which makes PW so distinctive. Think of Imperiale, on the other hand, as a truly luxurious 4711.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Just bought a large (3.4 oz) bottle today at Marshall's for $20.00.

Jackpot!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Talking Re: Swimming in Purple Water

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Just bought a large (3.4 oz) bottle today at Marshall's for $20.00.

Jackpot!
    you suck man! you found a large for 4 dollars more than i paid for the small! Good Hunting skills though...very impressive! You dont actually suck either....now if you are cool like me then you spilled half a bottle of broken bijan on you before you purchased your PW and had to get out of the store because of the vile stench wafting from your hand!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    From a general fragrance perspective you might find Imperiale and Purple similar in the sense that they are light citrus-oriented colognes, but within the Eau de Cologne world I would say they are markedly different. Imperiale follows classic Farina-style cologne prescriptions, so it bears strong resemblances to Farina Gegenüber, Roger & Gallet JM Farina, Nicolai's Cologne Sologne or Villoresi's Colonia (though they are sufficiently diverse to justify having them all ): That classic blend of herbs (rosemary), lemon, bergamot, neroli. Asprey has a more "modern" feel to it (mandarin, ginger, pepper), it's also more floral (like Acqua di Genova) and I suspect a higher amount of synthetics providing the opportunity for a little creativity - like perhaps that unusual "jacaranda" note which makes PW so distinctive. Think of Imperiale, on the other hand, as a truly luxurious 4711.
    thanks that is very helpful and extremely informative! I appreciate it man.
    Last edited by jdnba; 7th December 2007 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

When I saw this a couple of weeks ago I was shocked....I bought this blind and I am so happy that I did....Gary

After wearing it once, it reminds me of Bleeker St & PUrple Label. Fruit mixed in with herbs/spices. Like BS & PL, doesn't last an hour on me. What is going on with these scents!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Stupid question: which house produces it? Never heard of it.

Asprey is the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Asprey is the house.
    How do you pronounce it? Ass-pray? Further, I noticed the juice is made in Italy. Funny for a British brand to outsource the labor to Italy.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    How do you pronounce it? Ass-pray? Further, I noticed the juice is made in Italy. Funny for a British brand to outsource the labor to Italy.
    Asprey is a luxury goods maker, this was their first perfume outing. Purple is their signature colo(u)r. Btw. Richard James is made in Italy, too, while an Italian scent I have is actually - made in England. Globalization, go figure .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

As mentioned earlier, i purchased a 3.4 oz for $20.00 at Marshalls. At the same time, Nordstroms sells it for $100.00.

Does anyone know, or can even speculate, on the economics behind this?
    Last edited by knightowl; 7th December 2007 at 09:49 PM.

Simple- Nordstrom or some other retailer sends back bottles because they don't sell well or need to make room for other merchandise to a liquidator (or the manufacturer sends it to a liquidator because they made too many), then TJX negotiates a purchase with the liquidator and sells the items in their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    Simple- Nordstrom or some other retailer sends back bottles because they don't sell well or need to make room for other merchandise to a liquidator (or the manufacturer sends it to a liquidator because they made too many), then TJX negotiates a purchase with the liquidator and sells the items in their stores.

Makes perfect sense to me...

Thanks, Stuff.

Basenotes Institution

I finished my small bottle of Purple Water today.

I must admit, I over applied it always when I wore it. About ten minutes after application is when the slight 'modern' feel of PW becomes evident. The fruits and florals (though subtle) are there in the mix and it gives it an added dimension that most French and European 'colognes' don't have. I think it resembled more a CdG Cologne (Citrico comes to mind instantly).

Having worn this now, I am more interested in wearing some classic cologne interpretations - and giving them a full wearing in the upcoming hot summer of 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Stupid question: which house produces it? Never heard of it.
    Asprey
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I bought this a TJ Max after smelling it a few months ago at Nordstroms.

On my skin it came off too feminine. I gave it to my GF. Smells great on her!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye