Code of Conduct

Default Concern about my Bois Du Portugal

Hey guys,
    I've been a lurker on this forum community for a while, but recently I came across the "Fake Green Irish Tweed" thread and have come to the conclusion that my eBay'ed bottle (purchased about half a year ago) is a fake. It's too late for me to return it, since the seller is no longer with eBay.

However, just yesterday I purchased a Creed Bois du Portugal bottle from another eBayer "beauty_by_mimi" (99.2% approval rate). It is a 2.5 fl. oz. tester without cap, and I have bought it for quite a good sum of money. It has not yet arrived here yet, but I am concerned that what I bought isn't the real deal. The image posted on the auction seems to be a legit image rather than a stock one, so here it is:

So I'm basically asking all the Basenoters out there that KNOW that they have a legit copy of this to verify with the image to see if it looks similar to what you have. I guess the best way for me to find out is go to Neiman Marcus and do a smell-compare test, but for now... someone please give me peace of mind :-)

Much thanks in advance!

Default Re: Concern about my Bois Du Portugal

Dude that looks fake as hell, it doesn't even have a cap! or a box! So fake. Faker than fake, it makes the other BdP fakes look less fake.

Thanks for the reply! A few clarifications though - this is how it was listed:

"CREED
    Bois du potugal
    2.5 fl oz. 75 ml

Millesime Collection

100% authenticity guaranteed

You are bidding on a brand new Creed Bois du Portugal 2.5 fl oz edp. This is a tester, and has no cap, but I guarantee that it has never been used. I ship within 24 hrs of payment, Please email me if you have any further questions. Thanks and goodluck!

A rich, warm and very masculine concoction of exotic wood and spice notes.

With Cedar, Sandalwood, Lavender and Vetiver."

So basically, the lack of a cap doesn't concern me because it was advertised as a "tester, and has no cap." I haven't gotten the package yet, so I don't quite know if it comes with a box or not. I will put pictures up of the box when it arrives, however. I guess what I'm asking everybody is to compare the actual picture of the bottle with the one they have.

Appreciate everyone's help on this!

Looks fine to me. Take the cap off my bottle and you've got the same look. As to the juice inside, you're right, no way any of us can smell it through the keyboard and your best bet is to smell a tester where you know its the real deal.

(As a note of caution, Basenotes is not a forum for review of eBay sellers. EBay has it's own mechanism for providing feedback on its sellers and Basenotes is not a duplicate or place to discuss sellers or experiences with them. I'll have to remove posts and possibly references to eBay sellers. Sorry this is inconvenient when it is.)

Good luck. The example you show gives me no reason to think it's anything but the real thing.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Looks fine to me. Take the cap off my bottle and you've got the same look. As to the juice inside, you're right, no way any of us can smell it through the keyboard and your best bet is to smell a tester where you know its the real deal.

(As a note of caution, Basenotes is not a forum for review of eBay sellers. EBay has it's own mechanism for providing feedback on its sellers and Basenotes is not a duplicate or place to discuss sellers or experiences with them. I'll have to remove posts and possibly references to eBay sellers. Sorry this is inconvenient when it is.)

Good luck. The example you show gives me no reason to think it's anything but the real thing.
    --Chris
    Ah, thank you for comparing. When it comes in, I'm going to head over to Neiman Marcus to see if it passes. One thing, however - does NM even have Bois du Portugal? I did a search on their website and did not see a listing for it. Can anyone confirm that they sell it? That would help me a lot, since the nearest one to me is still 40 miles away.
    Last edited by akshay03; 7th December 2007 at 03:49 AM.

Technically, I am on "sabbatical"* from work (eBay) for the month of Dec but since I just love you guys too much, let me weigh in if I may.

If you purchase an item on eBay that is not as described, you should immediately contact the seller and inform them of the fact. If they are not immediately forthcoming with either a replacement or a full refund, you should immediately file an Item Not Received (Significantly Not As Described) report with eBay. If you paid with PayPal and the amount due is within the coverage amount for that seller**, and eBay or PayPal rules in your favor, you will get your money back and the seller will face possible sanctions including suspension from eBay.

Here are a few simple but crucial tips for buying safely on eBay:

Always pay with PayPal or barring that, with a credit card. eBay will cover payments** made with PayPal. Although eBay doesn't cover any other form of payment, your credit card issuer may offer protection for credit card purchases. Bottom line: unless you know an eBay seller personally or have safely purchased from that seller for a period of time, you should NEVER pay with checks or money orders. Use PayPal or credit cards.

If you have questions about an item, ASK BEFORE YOU BID OR PURCHASE! Don't wait till after you bid or worse, after you have won the item or purchased and paid for it. If you are unsure of an eBay seller's return policy, ASK FIRST!

omparison shop for the best deal. The "best deal" doesn't always mean just the lowest price. It means the best price for shipping, the best return policy, the best feedback history and the best photos and descriptions.

If an item seems too good to be true, don't risk it! Walk away and find a similar item from a seller that offers more assurances and whose listing and history instills confidence.

Griff

* "sabbatical" in quotes because outside of the USA, a sabbatical usually involves a year in length. Businesses in the USA consider one month a "sabbatical." Says a lot about how we differ in our definition of "work / live balance!"

** Sellers who provide a PayPal payment option can, based on their qualification, offer one of two possible types of Buyer Protection. The listings for newer sellers with less feedback and history offer protection up to $200. The listings for sellers with higher feedback and a longer history with eBay offer protection up to $2000. Check the Meet The Seller section of the actual item page to see what level of protection is offered by a seller.

It looks real, as far as I can tell. Usually, only the 2.5 oz TESTERS have the sticker on the front with the name on it.. Everything else looks like it should. I think somethinpositiv is kidding...
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I was being a sarcastic A*Hole, my bad. It's probably not fake.

It's real. It's actually really real. It's so it real it went past real, to fake, and then back to real again

Yeah I just got my package. It didn't come with a box, but I think the thing is the real deal! If it isn't, then the counterfeiters have spent a lot of time trying to make a fragrance that evolves so beautifully. The base notes remind me a little bit like Heritage - though I think BdP is a tad better.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
    Last edited by akshay03; 9th December 2007 at 02:06 AM.

get a smaple vial from Neiman Marcus and compare.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    The base notes remind me a little bit like Heritage - though I think BdP is a tad better.
    yea, that's real then. BdP is basically Heritage but much much better. Not that Heritage isnt amazing, but just comparatively.

I'm confused I've never seen a Creed sprayer that looks like the one in that pic....

Somebody please enlighten me.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe