Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Recent Compliments

I only recently started wearing perfume on a regular basis, so this is new to me! I'm sure you guys get it all the time. So, please share yours too and list the fragrance for reference.

1. From a girl at work: "Are you wearing perfume?...I can't quite tell, but I keep smelling something awesome." (Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil)

2. From my little sister when I got in the car "MMMM YOU SMELL YUMMY" (Delices de Cartier)

Default Re: Recent Compliments

Jalaine Amber + Jalaine Vanilla gets me compliments.

Also Nuits de Noho by Bond No. 9.

Basenotes Institution

Last compliment I got was when I was wearing Black Aoud by Montale.

Ridiculously, it is Escada Lily Chic that garnered me most compliments during the summer time and autumn. Right now Mr.Twolf noticed Timbuktu, Bois de Paradis and Histoire d'Eau on me (the last one reminded him of head shop!), and one co-worker said that the vintage Quelques Fleurs reminded her of her Grandma.

Most recent compliment I got was on Silver Factory.

Most reliable compliment-getter for me is Flowerbomb.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Sticking strictly to "compliments" it would have to be (gasp) JLo's Miami Glo. followed quickly by KM Loukhoum and (another gasp) Pink Sugar.

But I have a huge fan base that limits itself to "You always smell so good!"....and I don't pay them all that much!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My most recent is DKNY Delicious Night.

Bernat that Hermes perfume is something else. It's funny because I smelled one of them and didn't like it. So, I just never smelled anything else by them. I'm so glad I decided to give them another chance. I wore my sample of the Elixir last week and got compliments on it. I am going to get the Elixir and Un Jardin. They have gift sets in both at Bloomies.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Putain des Palaces

Tubereuse Criminelle

Sarrasins

A friend sat down next to me and said, "Oh, you smell good." Then his eyes widened, and he leaned in, inhaled deeply, and exclaimed, "Ohhhhhh. You smell reeeeaaalllly good!"

I'm with chloefpuff: Flowerbomb has the highest batting average in my rotation.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Thumbs up Re: Recent Compliments

Love's True Bluish Light never fails to win admirers, never. I have had total strangers stop me on this one.
    DH loves Incense Tibet, previously the only scent he liked was Diorissimo (but that one just doesn't smell like it did years ago)
    Other scents that have won praise lately: Rasa, Genvieve, Balmain de Balmain and Chergui

The only scents I've ever been complimented on are Ava Luxe Venus Sands ( the men seem to like this one)... and Elixir des Merveilles...which gets many compliments...except for from my sister who absolutely hates it... it must be the ambergris...to her it smells of "cats' wee and incontinence". But since I love it, and a lot of other people seem to appreciate it I ignore her naysaying!
    Oh, a couple of weeks ago I was waiting at the bus stop and these two girls near me were trying to work out what "that amazing smell" was... I'm pretty sure it was me lol... I had doused myself in Omnia to ward against the chilly, drizzly weather
    Last edited by merle; 11th December 2007 at 04:02 PM.

Recently I have got fantastic compliments on Caron Sacre (spesially men)
    I also got a compliment on Bois d'Iris, from a lady who are quite masculine.
    One day at work I was wearing a sample of Burberry Brit. Got compliments from a classy lady. She asked me to order it for her - which I did of course

I actually get a lot of compliments whenever I just wear my ol' standby TBS White Musk, and yes, the Pink Sugar usually gets some *yummies*.

Carnal Flower garners me the most compliments, TF Black Orchid runs a close second.

I get most of my compliments (men and woman) on Shocking, but received loads of compliments Sat. nite at a Christmas party on Burberry Brit. The men really seem to like this one!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I've gotten loads of compliments on Creed's Love In White. FM's En Passant also gets me compliments -and people are always surprised to hear that it's lilac......Fleur D'Oranger is another one.

I always get compliments when I wear Dolce & Gabbana (red cap). Since it is quite strong it is usually the case of 'What is that perfume?' (in a good way) and of sniffing the air before I admit it is me LOL. The sweet, creamy cloud just floats around and when I first started wearing it I wasn't aware it was coming from me (so I'd sniff the air and wonder what the sweet creaminess was). I always feel confident when I wear it because of the positive comments.
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 12th December 2007 at 02:56 PM.

I'm complimented almost every time I wear Alien. Today I wore Twirl all Girly and a male co-worker trailed me around like a happy puppy.

The only person to compliment me is my husband. And he absolutely loves Fracas, he'll even dash into the room if he thinks I'm spraying it on.

Though the downside is for most fragrances he'll say "It's not as nice as Fracas..."

The closest second for him is Prada, for which he said "I guess you could wear that when you are not wearing Fracas!"

Hee

Well, I rarely get complimented because my skin is where scent goes to die a quick death. So I'm lucky if I get sillage. I got frustrated one day and asked my friends if they liked my 'fume, and they're like, "Huh? You're wearing perfume? I can't smell anything." (And yet this perfume obsession is still going on strong...)

The ONLY compliments I've recieved... (see, I remember these, because they're few and far between)...

Ginestet - Botrytis
    My acquaintence, after giving me a hug: "You smell so good!" I wore it all last winter, but I think the juice inside has turned, because the tobacco note is overriding the honey, and it smells sour... :-( I'm DEVASTATED. I really, really loved it. Oh, I also introduced it to a fellow perfume friend, and she went online and ordered it the next day. Haha.

Ineke - After My Own Heart
    My friend complimented me once, yey.

Parfums 06130 - Yuzu Rouge
    Well, it's not really a huge compliment, but a good friend was like, "Hmm... this smells like something my brother's fiance has. It's nice."

Parfums DelRae - Bois de Paradis
    No verbal compliments, but the first day I wore this people stood VERY close to me and kept on edging closer, so I took that to be a compliment.

I got compliment with Spiriteuse Double Vanille by Guerlain about a week ago
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

I love compliments. What can I say? I'm insecure! Compliments will you you everywhere with me.

Anyway, I got the most compliments I've ever gotten the other day, when I was wearing a vintage sample of Coty Chypre. Unfortunately, Coty Chypre isn't the easiest perfume to get a hold of. But after that day, I did buy a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur after I read that it is kind of similar to Chypre. I haven't worn Pour Monsieur yet, but if I get half the compliments I got when I was wearing Chypre, I'll be a very happy girl.
    “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”--Dorothy Parker

I tend to be lucky in the fact that my skin holds scent very well, and I wear mostly older heavier scents. I receive compliments on most of them, which is funny because they are the ones most people have trouble wearing; Guerlains, Carons, older Diors, and of course Bandit (original) which is not as friendly as the newer re-issue. I guess I know which ones to avoid; L'eau d'Issey and such.

Last year, Coco Mademoiselle got me some compliments. Samsara only once.

However, In general I don't get many compliments on perfume (which I used to resent because I felt that I spend money on it for nothing) because my chemistry...well, "eats fragrance" and my skin does not project the fragrance all around.
    This year I swtiched to No 5...so I am waiting for a compliment on this one. I do not have major illusions though because it is a fragrance that stays very close to my skin. It does not project out...
    Despite all this, I adore it. It makes me feel great.
    Last edited by syracusa; 15th January 2008 at 02:19 PM.

Blog Entries

I second Brielle - I have no problem wearing Guerlain's or Caron's - and get compliments on them- even from people who after inquiring about what I'm wearing say "Oh - I hate that on me but on you it smells great". I get compliments from DH a lot - but he's also very vocal about what he doesn't like. Interestingly I get thumbs up's from my students - many of whom arrive to morning classes unbathed and malodorous - one of the reasons I wear more scent to school than anywhere else - would rather smell me than them

Most recent compliment was on Bois de Paradis that I was sampling.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

From an 80 year old straight woman to this 40 year old gay man when he was wearing Kingdom by Alexander McQueen:
    "You smell good enough to eat!"
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 15th January 2008 at 02:57 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Creed Milliseme Imperiale

I don't get many compliments, but I've only really just started seriously wearing perfume. I don't get any at work, but it's only a very small sort of company anyway. I'm waiting till I go back to University to see if I get more compliments there.

MOST of my compliments come from my mum, who will hug me when I go to work and then say "Oh you smell really nice!" the last one was Revlon Fire & Ice. She also said "What an adorable bottle! It's so pretty!" to Miss Dior Cherie which she hasn't smelt me wearing just yet. I also stuck my wrist under my younger brother's nose when I was wearing Cherie and he said distractedly "That's pretty nice." which is actually quite a BIG compliment from my brother.

My boyfriend has only ever complimented me on Guess? Woman. On two occasions he has said "You smell really nice."

Oh, and I always show my perfumes to my 13 year old sister, who quite likes them, especially Davidoff Echo Woman, L de Lolita Lempicka and Miss Dior Cherie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavorna View Post
    I don't get many compliments, but I've only really just started seriously wearing perfume.
    Sounds like we're about at the same stage in perfumes, Tavorna!

The only compliments I've gotten are from my husband, who knows that I'm cycling through different scents. I try to avoid much sillage, since I take the bus often. Also, once I start up at university again, I'll actually be starting up work AT uni again, so I have to switch to "work scents".

I did get an unsolicited comment from hubby, however, in response to the drydown of Chanel No. 19 EDT:
    "Are you wearing perfume? Something smells fruity. It smells good."

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    I second Brielle - I have no problem wearing Guerlain's or Caron's - and get compliments on them- even from people who after inquiring about what I'm wearing say "Oh - I hate that on me but on you it smells great". I get compliments from DH a lot - but he's also very vocal about what he doesn't like. Interestingly I get thumbs up's from my students - many of whom arrive to morning classes unbathed and malodorous - one of the reasons I wear more scent to school than anywhere else - would rather smell me than them

Most recent compliment was on Bois de Paradis that I was sampling.
    That is such a hoot. I have had more people say "oh I hated that crap on my _____(grandmother/ mother/great-aunt) but it smells great on you.
    I also have a little anecdote to share, since you mentioned smelly students.
    I go to University her in New Hampshire, and one day there was just a sour smell in one of the classrooms. Well I had a travel spray of Baghari by Piguet, so I proceeded to spray myself a little. Well one of my classmates had a violent reaction to it and had to leave the room...and did not return. No one could smell the horrid smell in the room, but everyone was up in arms about my Baghari. Only Madame, my professor, said "Oh something smells wonderful in here." when she came in, she is a grand lady 'of a certain age' and oh so very french. Shows how scent is perceived

I have just got compliments on Bois d'Armenie and Iris Ganache these 2 days

I get compliments almost everytime when I wear Guerlain.
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

My dear SIL, who is not especially interested in perfumes (she alternates between Allure and Happy), seldom comments on my perfume, except when I wear something she finds too sweet (which I often do ), bursted out a few days ago (after our usual greeting hug) - *WOW - what is that gorgeous perfume you've got on now??! It really suits you!* It was Chypre Rouge, and she cold even smell the pine needles in it!
    Maybe I have to hire her as my 'perfume stylist'...

Eva (usually smelling of vanilla..)
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I was complimented on Angel Men Wednesday.....Gary

Gucci Envy Me - only the men have complimented me on this scent, saying that I smell "amazing"

VS So Sexy shampoo and conditioner - a guy friend couldn't stop hugging me when he smelled my hair.

Just three days ago...I was wearing Davidoff's Relax

When wearing A La Nuit, my 19 year old daughter said "Mom, you smell fresh & womanly" ~ I think that's a compliment!

Another day I wore Un Bois Vanille and my 9 year old son told me "you smell like a Krispy Kreme"! (For those of you who don't have Krispy Kremes...they are donuts!) I'll take that as a compliment too!

Habanita - a friend

Ombre Rose - my son.

Kadota: DH and a handful of others at the theater last night, such an earthy fig scent.

My daughter reports lots of positive feedback from the ALs I've given her, LTBL gets very high marks indeed. I got compliments from it too, and recently for Asprey Purple Water as well.

Most recent was La Perla's Parfum Prive on Friday, we went to see the movie Cloverfield & out of nowhere Mr.Tinker leaned over and said "You smell so good tonight!"
    Also get compliments on:
    L'Artisan- Mimosa Pour Moi
    Neil Morris- Midnight Tryst & Summer of Love
    Caron- Farnesiana

Today I received a compliment on Obsession while shopping at Macy's.
    The woman said, "Oh my, you sure smell nice".
    I just wanted to kiss her! She was an older black woman with a soft southern accent. She was just too cute!
    Sometime I wish the aliens would abduct me and crown me as their leader.
    George Noory

Just today, and I'm wearing Hollywood, Fred Hayman. ( Oh well, you just can't tell!)(wink)

well...hubby said I smelled good last nice but.....I was testing Ellen Tracy on one hand and VS Heavenly on the other hand. When I asked him which scent he smelled he drew a blank....maybe it was the combo of both???

I didn't much care for either one so I was a bit disappointed he complimented me on those scents.

I'm hoping to find a scent he will be wowed with as well as me being wowed with it. The sampling goes on
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

Saturday I got a compliment on Alien. Honey, men just love this on me. Today I got a compliment on Belle en Rykiel. The Belle en Rykiel does smell good on me I must say. Yes, I have been smelling myself all evening lol.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

Hypnotic Poison – one compliment from a male colleague, he said I smell so tasty that I am almost edible
    Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi – another colleague adored this scent, she drools everytime I walked pass her desk

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Saturday I got a compliment on Alien. Honey, men just love this on me. Today I got a compliment on Belle en Rykiel. The Belle en Rykiel does smell good on me I must say. Yes, I have been smelling myself all evening lol.
    Damn, passed up a change to get an Alien gift set on a serious discount last week (was busy buying L'Artisan Mure et Musc instead).
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Clemmie you always get the good buys 1st, especially if what you got wasn't a deal. Those frags that never go on sale or come in a giftset will always be pushed back if there's a deal to be had. The more you save, the more you can buy. That''s my shopping motto lol!

I have tried out a sample of SacreBleu. With this on, my boyfriend wants to eat me ... Of course I have ordered a full bottle now

Last weekend my husband commented favorably on Cabaret Gres EdP, it is now on the full bottle list.

Most recent comliment, last week, was for Chanel No 19 EdP. I got it at five o´clock in the afternoon, and I had put the EdP on at 6.30 in the morning... This is a longlasting fraganse.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Blog Entries

I got home from school today and there was a package waiting for me - Elixir des Merveilles which (thanks to MikeP) I tested, and then decided to buy. Spritzed some on right away and sat down to do some work on the puter. We have a workman here doing some painting and plastering... he came downstairs and asked me in Spanish (he does not speak English) ¿Qué huele tan rico? (What smells so good/rich?) He said he could smell it as he came down the stairs ..He asked if it was perfume...and I said yes and explained the notes - orange and chocolate..vanilla. He said he is going to buy some for his wife. He repeated the comment several more times - he said the smell made him feel happy.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I got home from school today and there was a package waiting for me - Elixir des Merveilles which (thanks to MikeP) I tested, and then decided to buy. Spritzed some on right away and sat down to do some work on the puter. We have a workman here doing some painting and plastering... he came downstairs and asked me in Spanish (he does not speak English) ¿Qué huele tan rico? (What smells so good/rich?) He said he could smell it as he came down the stairs ..He asked if it was perfume...and I said yes and explained the notes - orange and chocolate..vanilla. He said he is going to buy some for his wife. He repeated the comment several more times - he said the smell made him feel happy.
    That is the best type of compliment. When it is completely by surprise; when you don't have to place your wrist under ones nose.

Is it very different from the original scent? I was not partial to the original, but this sounds too yummy.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Hi Brielle - I don't own the original - only tested it - tried one on one arm - one on the other and wore them for several hours. The original disappeared - the Elixir kept on going. The Elixir is richer - more honeyed, I don't find it too sweet - it's a refreshing change of pace for me. And it is NOT wimpy - you only need a spritz or two. The vanilla becomes more pronounced in the drydown as the orange notes disappear.
    Chanakya

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed the mental high-def video.

Hi Brielle - I don't own the original - only tested it - tried one on one arm - one on the other and wore them for several hours. The original disappeared - the Elixir kept on going. The Elixir is richer - more honeyed, I don't find it too sweet - it's a refreshing change of pace for me. And it is NOT wimpy - you only need a spritz or two. The vanilla becomes more pronounced in the drydown as the orange notes disappear.
    Oh, that sounds so yummy, makes me wish I still worked at Sephora (love the discount). I am going to try it tomorrow, I feel compelled.
    The original smelt like the old L'occitane Nutmeg Orange room spray on me, not very nice. This sounds too nice to resist.
    Thanks again for the lovely description

Blog Entries

Brielle - I've discoved a great way to get discounts on fumes. I got 25 dollars off on Elixir. I got an amazon.com VISA card. I already buy lots of books via amazon, DH orders cd's - and I now use that card for lots of other purchases (even my gas) - not on amazon. About once a month I get a gift voucher from amazon for 25 bucks - which I apply to latest scent purchase.
    Chanakya

Brielle - I've discoved a great way to get discounts on fumes. I got 25 dollars off on Elixir. I got an amazon.com VISA card. I already buy lots of books via amazon, DH orders cd's - and I now use that card for lots of other purchases (even my gas) - not on amazon. About once a month I get a gift voucher from amazon for 25 bucks - which I apply to latest scent purchase.
    Excellent idea! Thanks.

I usually use my LL Bean, but I can only buy so much there.

Ha ha MikeP got me hooked on Elixir too. Doesn't it smell wonderful. I got the same reaction from a coworker when I tried a sample of it. She said everytime I walked passed her she would take a big whiff. She forgot to ask me what I was wearing, but she remembered to ask me the next day. I love the sweetness of it. I've gotten a compliment each time I've worn it. Don't you just love smellin good

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Ha ha MikeP got me hooked on Elixir too. Doesn't it smell wonderful. I got the same reaction from a coworker when I tried a sample of it. She said everytime I walked passed her she would take a big whiff. She forgot to ask me what I was wearing, but she remembered to ask me the next day. I love the sweetness of it. I've gotten a compliment each time I've worn it. Don't you just love smellin good
    Yup! Have decided that I'm gonna wear this to school and give some to the secretary in my department who is always a sweetie and always asks me what I'm wearing.

A big hug for Mike!
    Chanakya

Dior's Bois d'Argent
    Diptyque's Philosykos
    P. de Nicolai's Vanille Tonka
    Institut Tres Bien's Tres Russe