Code of Conduct

Default Quest for Mystery Fragrance

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and this is my first post! I found this board while trying to research a fragrance I am seeking. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge and expertise here so I'm hoping for some good leads.

I'm searching for a fragrance that I smelled once, but have no idea what it was. I've been searching a long time.

Just recently I came across two fragrances that are quite similar to what I'm looking for, but still not quite exact I don't think. It's hard to say though, because I only breathed the fragrance one time.

The first one I found that struck a chord was a Crabtree & Evelyn body mist called "Naturals Black Tea, Vetiver & Sugarcane Body Mist". It has been discontinued and it was never available in anything but the mist. Here's the link: http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/nat14124.html

And just a week or so ago, I found the L'Occitane Ruban d'Orange and it is very, very close.

For the backstory, I encountered this fragrance in a room of a villa in December 2005. It was very strong and lasted for two days, even over the scents/lotions my husband and I were using. It was the best thing I've ever smelled in my life. It evoked strong images of a Mediterranean orange grove and garden scene. Am I getting ridiculous here? It was very sumptuous and had strong staying power. Anyway, I've been looking for it ever since.

If anyone has ANY suggestions or leads I will happily track them down.

The main scents in the Ruban are: orange, fig, cedar, vetiver, and tonka.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say! Thanks in advance!

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Default Re: Quest for Mystery Fragrance

mmmmm....
    well, you can try
    Philosykos Diptyque
    Un jardin en Méditerranée Hermès
    Premier figuier extrème L'artisan Parfumeur
    Thé pour une été L'AP
    Tea for two L'AP

Good luck!
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome, ljk73! :wave:

Yours is perhaps the greatest first post I've ever read. Entertainingly evocative and exciting in the notes it highlights. I'd love to know what this mystery scent was, too. The real stumper here is that this fragrance had longevity. Most of those Mediterranean notes aren't known for their tenacity.

Going to think hard about this, and I know plenty of smarties are going to step forward with ideas.
    --------------------------------------
    Might you recognize the bottle/label if you saw it again? This was an Italian villa--si?
    I wear a fig-and-tea fragrance from Carthusia called Io (that's "i" "o", not Lo). It doesn't include orange, although I've layered it with orange blossom scent.
    http://www.carthusia.it/CarthusiaWeb/showpage/1
    Last edited by Quarry; 7th December 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    mmmmm....
    well, you can try
    Philosykos Diptyque
    Un jardin en Méditerranée Hermès
    Premier figuier extrème L'artisan Parfumeur
    Thé pour une été L'AP
    Tea for two L'AP
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm not quite sure where to start with finding these, so if you have any hints, please share!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Welcome, ljk73! :wave:

Yours is perhaps the greatest first post I've ever read. Entertainingly evocative and exciting in the notes it highlights. I'd love to know what this mystery scent was, too. The real stumper here is that this fragrance had longevity. Most of those Mediterranean notes aren't known for their tenacity.

Going to think hard about this, and I know plenty of smarties are going to step forward with ideas.
    Quarry, you make me blush! Thank you for the kind welcome, it is most appreciated!

Yes, the longevity of the scent was amazing which made me think it must be some sort of highly expensive couture fragrance. The fragrance was only in the bedroom of the villa. Every time I walked out on the balcony I was looking for the orange trees but they were only in my mind. I've wondered if the fragrance could have come from a candle, a diffuser or even some sort of cleaning/freshening substance? It is such a mystery.

I have experimented with the Ruban and it has hardly any longevity. Also, when it dries and ages a bit it no longer evokes the strong images that the villa fragrance did. I don't know, maybe I've built it up in my own mind, but I think I will know it when I smell it. I know it wasn't the Ruban because it wasn't released until October 2006, which was much later than my villa experience.

All ideas welcomed!
    What do you guys think of these as contenders for what I'm searching:

ESTEBAN Fureur d'Agrumes EDT

ESTEBAN Fraicheur Andalouse Eau de Toilette

ALLURE/ALLURE HOMME SPORT by Chanel

Anthousa Citrus Sorbet Eau de Parfum

Jo Malone Orange Blossom

Les Parfums de Rosine, Rosa Flamenca

Capucci Men

Jivago Millennium Hope

Parfums de Nicolaï - Eau Exotique Eau Fraîche

Parfums de Nicolaï - Fig Tea Eau Fraîche

Armani Mania
    Last edited by ljk73; 8th December 2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I think you'll find most of the fraich/fraicheur scents sparkling, light and citrusy--pleasant, but usually fleeting. Jo Malone's Orange Blossom is excellent for layering well with other fragrances, and that may be the only way you'll attain your desired scent. Wild Fig & Cassis (or Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis) would layer with JM's OB.

Next chance I get, I'm going to sample Ruban d'Orange--both for your sake and for mine.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I was out shopping today and I made sure to wander through all the perfume shops. In the last store, there was a very nice young man helping me sniff through some scents when I tried the very last one he suggested and lo' it stopped me in my tracks!

I think it could be the one! If it's not, it's very, very close. I brought home the sample he sprayed on paper and compared it to the Ruban. Quite close. The Ruban is sweeter, with more orange. The sample I brought home is spicier.

Immediately upon returning home I went online to research this new fragrance and found . . . nothing. It's as if it doesn't even exist. I was so looking forward to finding out what notes it is and now here I sit. Still at square one!

Please help me. Please.

The fragrance I found today is: Beauté d'Orient by Johan.B

UPDATE: I just found this description on Ebay:

FLORAL - AMBERY - FRUITY

Top notes : BLACKCURRANT - TANGERINE - BLOOD ORANGE - GRAPEFRUIT

Mid notes : LILY OF THE VALLEY - JASMINE

Base notes : AMBER - TONKA BEANS -VANILLA - MUSK

It does NOT have the cedar, fig, and vetiver of the Ruban, and yet to me, they are so similar. How can that be?
    I went back to the one and only store that carries the fragrance and purchased it. I feel better now.

I'm still determined to find out more about it though.

I found that the perfume is by Geparlys. I went to their website and the fragrance is not listed. So I sent them a message asking about it.

By the way, the notes I listed above are incorrect -- they are in fact for Beauté by Johan.b and not Beauté d'Orient.

If anyone knows more, please share!
    Last edited by ljk73; 15th December 2007 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost