Code of Conduct

Talking Latest scores at TJX

This week has seen me cap off very heavy round bargain shopping at Filenes basement/TJ Maxx. Some quick reviews of the scores.

1) Lanvin Vetyver $10 for 30ml. Scentimental's review is spot on. This is a very well blended fragrance (only 14 ingredients) that evokes an abstract vetiver in the context of a aquatic base. This is different than traditional vetiver's (e.g L'occitane's Vetyver) that use vetiver on a woody/brown base. It's understated and does not project much, so its good for office use or in situations where you want to be sniffed at close range and not at long range.

Reasonably long lasting, though in general you want to apply it liberally, about 1/3rd of the way though you start to get flashes of vetiver. There is some calone in the top notes, so I see it as being in some way related to Lanvin's Oxygene.

2) Christian Lacroix Tumult: $15 for 50ml: This is a guys only fragrance, and it is very different from other common men's fragrances. In this respect I think it similar to Lolita Lempicka for men, which is also outside the usual range of men's fragrance. Tumulte is based on Cedar. This fragrance is roughly 93% cedar and 7% other stuff. The other stuff being a dash of juniper/cade oil adding a very slight tarry character to the core cedar accord (composed of four difference types of cedar, including the camphoracious Texas cedar), and some insense that emerges later in the dry down. At all times cedar is front and center.

This won't be a good seller in stores, since on a testing card, the cedar is overbearing and obnoxious. This fragrance can create some olfactory habituation, you will get flashes of it over several hours as your nose saturates/desaturates from all the cedar. This is fragrance is most conceptually similar to women's soliflore, and IMHO creates a new category of "solibois".

3) Lanvin Oxygene Homme $15 for 100ml. A very well done aquatic/ozonic. The BN reviews are all over the place on this one. For me, after the top notes come off, you are left with a long lasting (8hr plus) engaging aquatic accord that smells like fresh pure spring water. Definately few cuts above the typical ozonics.

4) Purple Water $20 for 100ml: I'm keeping this sealed for a day when I want to try something new.

5) L'occitane's Cade Shower Gel: $10 for 200ml. Even at this price an extravagance, to say nothing of full retail @ $20/200ml, which will run you about a dollar or two per shower. Very nice shower gel that makes a good bubble bath for the morning. Nice juniper scent. I haven't seen any other l'occitane stuff anywhere else, which is sad.

Misc sightings (of interest).

TJX: B*Men, Arpege PH, Gianfranco Ferre GF pour lui, Drakkar Noir (100ml), various Bvlgari, Polo Safari, Paul Smith London for Men.
    FB: Various Givenchy (Xerxys, X rouge, Gentlemen), Arpege PH, Full Burberry line ex London, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (rare).

Default Re: Latest scores at TJX

I went to Marshall's last night and found a few great deals.

The big surprise was that they had grooming kits from the relatively new Clarins Men line. This stuff is the best I've tried (shaving cream, wrinkle control, eye gel, as balm, shower gel). Just for the AS Balm, it costs around $25 at dept. stores. I picked up 2 kits last night that include scrub, face wash, gel and the balm in a very nice case for $19.99 each!! That's an absolute steal!!

I went in to get a Halston Catalyst 1.0 OZ spray at $9.99. Instead, they only had the 3.4 OZ for $12.99. I bought it. This is a nice cool weather scent. My son liked it.

I actually saw a four piece gift set of Burberry London or Brit (Can't remember) last weekend at my local TJ Maxx for around $30-35. Came with a 3.4 oz EDT Spray too.
    Fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    This week has seen me cap off very heavy round bargain shopping at Filenes basement/TJ Maxx. Some quick reviews of the scores.

I wish we had a TJ Maxx down here.

OsMoz have Lanvin's Vetyver as an oriental fougere. I can't smell anything oriental about it, can you?

I fully agree with you on Lanvin's Oxygene, a very long lasting freshness emanates from this most underrated of scents.

Uhhmm - you seem to be using the Cade shower gel as a shower gel. You only do that if you want to get really clean and don't have a bar of soap handy. The idea with all these designer shower gels is to only put a tiny bit on a sponge as the last act towards the end of your shower, quickly put the foam all over you, then quickly rinse it off. Your shower gel will last for a long time, and you will smell of Cade for a few hours after.
    If you ever come across it, the Cade aftershave balm is really good after shave - smells okay and soothes extremely well.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 7th December 2007 at 03:49 PM.

Misc sightings (of interest).

TJX: B*Men, Arpege PH, Gianfranco Ferre GF pour lui, Drakkar Noir (100ml), various Bvlgari, Polo Safari, Paul Smith London for Men.
    FB: Various Givenchy (Xerxys, X rouge, Gentlemen), Arpege PH, Full Burberry line ex London, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (rare).
    Was this in Boston? I'd like to pick up Safari and PS London.

Thanks

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I hope to God they get Arpege back in at any of the TJX stores I visit, as I'm kicking myself for not picking it up last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    I hope to God they get Arpege back in at any of the TJX stores I visit, as I'm kicking myself for not picking it up last year.
    I've learned to pick up the good stuff while it lasts at TJ Maxx...i also kick myself for not buying Gucci Nobile a couple years ago.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Nice going. I agree about the Lanvin products. They all come across as stylish and well made and are, at the very least, pleasant. And the Cade shaving line is effective and very nice.

I want Arpege for men they had one gift set but some creep opened and sprayed the thing. You should see people at my TJX/Marshalls they are like animales breaking opening boxes to spray the item and toss it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I wish we had a TJ Maxx down here.

OsMoz have Lanvin's Vetyver as an oriental fougere. I can't smell anything oriental about it, can you?

I fully agree with you on Lanvin's Oxygene, a very long lasting freshness emanates from this most underrated of scents.

Uhhmm - you seem to be using the Cade shower gel as a shower gel. You only do that if you want to get really clean and don't have a bar of soap handy. The idea with all these designer shower gels is to only put a tiny bit on a sponge as the last act towards the end of your shower, quickly put the foam all over you, then quickly rinse it off. Your shower gel will last for a long time, and you will smell of Cade for a few hours after.
    If you ever come across it, the Cade aftershave balm is really good after shave - smells okay and soothes extremely well.
    Renato
    I wouldn't class Lanvin's Vetyver as an oriental fougere. It doesn't contain spice notes and vanilla typical of oriental fragrances. I guess it could be a fougere (citrus/herb/woods), but it doesn't smell like classic fougeres although it is constructed like one. I wish I had a sample of Lanvin Homme, so I could see where Vetyver fits in relative to it, as they share the same bottle design. It seems that the Lanvin frags are underrated on basenotes.

As I see it, LV starts with a bergamot/fresh accord (escentual.com claims lemon, bergamot, sweet lime and juniper berry. Interparfum's own site claims some calone in as well) that leads down to spice accord over a woody base. All this is being done without being heavy or soapy.

I guess I would class it as being some type of marine/ozonic fragrance owning to its very blended fresh nature with a lack of distinct notes.

Lanvin's vetiver won't win head to head vs L'occitane's vetiver (a rooty vetiver) in a vetiverness competition but its not really competing in that space. It's a very blended fragrance that is light, fresh and close to the skin by design.

I guess I have shown what a rube I am by thinking that something labeled "shower gel" should be used as such. I hope I find more L'occitane stuff at TJX/FB as I could never afford as much of it as I want in real life. The Cade aftershave balm is really nice. I'm surprised they never made a Cade EdT (only aftershave), I think Christian LaCroix suceeded with a single note Cedar fragrance, so why not cypress?

---
    For those who don't know, the Boston Metro area is a promised land for off price shoppers as it is the home base for both the TJX companies (which runs TJ Maxx/Marshalls) and the Filenes' Basement unit of RVI.

on my last visit i saw corduroy box set which is awesome(deodorant and 3.4 oz) for 20 bucks.
    I bought purple water for 14
    Absolute blu by bulagari for 24
    various perry ellis
    lacoste original(didnt even know it was still made)
    spark
    Burberry Weekend for 20...i might go back for this one!

so far at tj maxx i've bought
    3 pc burberry brit giftset(cologne,shower gel,aftershave) for 39.99 but i returned it because the smell was very weak.
    50 ml purple water for 15$
    B*Men for 25$
    Corduroy 2pc set (4.2oz cologne & deodorant) 20$
    lacoste ph 100ml for 30$,i checked a few days ago & the 50ml bottle was 30$
    kenneth cole R.S.V.P 1.7 oz for 25$
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I've seen different dunhill giftsets,versache blue jeans,tommy jeans,obsession giftsets(orig. & other),tumulte ph,various hugo giftsets,every kind of burberry except london,a few diff ck colognes,lucky you,lucky number 6,kenneth cole signature gift set,kc reaction,some box with AV on it & a few others i cant remember...

Is this intended to be unisex? I didn't see it listed in the directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post

Is this intended to be unisex? I didn't see it listed in the directory.
    it is in the directory listed as a female fragrance, but the bottle doesnt say its for either, so i assume that its unisex, it doesnt smell outwardly feminine...i intend on buying some its nice stufff...what do you think after a full wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    on my last visit i saw corduroy box set which is awesome(deodorant and 3.4 oz) for 20 bucks.
    I bought purple water for 14
    various perry ellis
    lacoste original(didnt even know it was still made)
    spark
    Burberry Weekend for 20...i might go back for this one!
    Whats Zirh's corduroy like? I've seen it and the original Zirh EdT floating around.

Whats Zirh's corduroy like? I've seen it and the original Zirh EdT floating around.
    To me, Corduroy smells like a toned down version of CK One. I checked the reviews on this site and I seem to be the only one who caught that similarity, so maybe I'm just crazy.

I've tried the original Zirh several times and I could barely smell anything each time I tried it. I'd say longevity will probably be an issue on that one.

While you're at the TJX stores, be sure to stock up on Chaps by Ralph Lauren since they are replacing it with a new, inferior scent. I got a 3.4oz Cologne Spray today for $12.99. They also have the 1.8oz Cologne Spray for $9.99 and the 1oz Cologne Splash for $5.99. Obviously the biggest bottle is the best deal.
    Last edited by atrac; 9th December 2007 at 10:54 PM.

I got some of the B*Men there on as a blind buy and it really blew me off my feet. It's definitely one of my favorite scents to wear, especially cause it's cold out these days. I just love it when blind buys work out better than you think they will.

to me it smelled similar to Burberry brit

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Mugler B Men 1.7 oz SNIB $15 they had about a dozen. I should have snagged a few but didnt
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

corduroy does smell a bit like brit...its very cinnamon, but nice

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Mugler B Men 1.7 oz SNIB $15 they had about a dozen. I should have snagged a few but didnt
    Latest round.

TJX: Way too many Liz Claiborne fragrances on both the mens and women's sides. Of interest, Christian Lacriox Tumulte PH/PF, Polo Safari, Paco Rabanne PH, still a few 50mls of Paul Smith London for men, Oscar by ODLR, Aramis Life.

Oscar is very summery, and elements of its citrus accord seem to be long lasting.

I did see some Gianfranco Ferre GF Pour Lui, which I've wanted to sample, but no one had opened any of the packaged. IIRC, this had a very "manish" note similar to kouros.

Seems that the Lanvin fragrances are working their way through the system, as I saw a few Arpege PH gift sets. Personally I wanted to like Arpege PH but it is not clicking, The top and middle seem too perfumy and the vanilla/tonka drydown isn't all that interesting to me.

I am coming late to this party, but Marshall's had a much better selection today than TJMaxx.

Picked up a 125ml Escada Homme for $25.00 and a 50ml Tumulte pour Homme for $15.00.

There were many bottles of Escada Homme in three different sizes. Also saw among others: Magnetism, Sentiment, Baldessarini Ambre, Bijan for Men, Quorum, Onyx, Oxygen, Bulgari Blu Notte pour Homme, Weekend, Grey Flannel, Oscar for Men, Safari (women's) and probably 30 bottles (large and small) of B*Men. I didn't see Purple Water
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am coming late to this party, but Marshall's had a much better selection today than TJMaxx.

Picked up a 125ml Escada Homme for $25.00 and a 50ml Tumulte pour Homme for $15.00.

There were many bottles of Escada Homme in three different sizes. Also saw among others: Magnetism, Sentiment, Baldessarini Ambre, Bijan for Men, Quorum, Onyx, Oxygen, Bulgari Blu Notte pour Homme, Weekend, Grey Flannel, Oscar for Men, Safari (women's) and probably 30 bottles (large and small) of B*Men. I didn't see Purple Water
    That's alot of B*Men!

I snagged a 100ml of Oxygene PH which I'll be giving as a gift as part of a random secret gifting program at work. I figured that its freshness would offend no one, and be liked by everyone. I thought about getting Purple Water, but then figured it might require some sophistication to fully appreciate, with the floral top notes. Oxygene PH is really growing on me, so I might just get another bottle myself. :/

Oscar for Men would be an excellent summer citrus fragrance, but summer seems so far away right now.

I found a bottle of Baldessarini in the cool metal bottle -- 2.5oz for $24.99 at Marshall's. I have never smelled it, but based on the reviews here, the coolest packaging in the world isn't going to make me open it.

I just spent a $50 gift card that I got today. Purchased a 3.4 oz bottle of Bulgari vert for $ 30 and Bulgari and a 3.4 of Bulgari Blv Notte, marked down to $15. A few days ago I bought the last Purple Water in the store.

The selection was getting low but also they had the Red tea Bulgari, Blue Jeans, Escada PH, Onyx, Oxygen and everyones favorite... Trumph.
    -iStink

I seem to be finding numerous Safari for Women, but alas, none for men. And I've been to a lot of the TJ Maxx's and Marshall's in the SoCal area.

I wonder why the women are getting so lucky on this one?

Scored L'Occitane Vetyver & the L'Occitan Edt shower gel at Marshalls. Didn't know they stocked L'Occtiane products but Vetyver is really good. Looks like it may be discontinued.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I find Corduroy and dead ringer for Armand Basi... if you've ever sampled that.

a.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Scored L'Occitane Vetyver & the L'Occitan Edt shower gel at Marshalls. Didn't know they stocked L'Occtiane products but Vetyver is really good. Looks like it may be discontinued.
    Grrrrrrrrrr,

L'occi isn't discontinuing anything in their men's fragrance line according to an SA I talked to. IMHO some national account offloaded a bunch of L'occitane inventory to TJX b/c it wasn't selling. There are a few stores outside of L'occitane that sell L'occitane stuff, it is fairly niche and much of it is overpriced to start with.

The Vetyver EdT is a good buy @ $42/100ml in stores.

it is fairly niche and much of it is overpriced to start with.

The Vetyver EdT is a good buy @ $42/100ml in stores.
    I find L'Occitane very underpriced considering their use of natural ingredients and quality. I could see Lutens charging $125 for Eau de Baux. I picked up Vetyver for $30 which is a steal.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I scored Sung Pour Homme, Paco XS, and at Opium pour Homme at Ross.

Saw a 3.4 oz of Paco Rabanne pour Homme for $18, but I have it already.

I really should have bought the 1.7 of RL Safari. Went back for it two days later. Its gone.

I returned Givenchy Gentleman! P.U. too much Patchouli!

Quote Originally Posted by twinbee View Post
    I returned Givenchy Gentleman! P.U. too much Patchouli!
    I agree with your assesment of Givenchy Gentleman, much too "dense" and strong.

So far the TJX's I've visited this week look like a flock of Vampires have been through, according to my talk with manager, new inventory is on hold till early January. As a TJX shareholder, the amount of damaged inventory in the fragrance section is depressing, sales seem ok in an otherwise weak christmas season.

TJX needs to figure out how FB avoids having people opening fragrance boxes.

Hopefully I'll see some L'occi stuff flowing through so far all I've seen is a few room air freshener spray's.
    Last edited by Nitromusk; 23rd December 2007 at 06:46 AM.

I agree with your assesment of Givenchy Gentleman, much too "dense" and strong.

So far the TJX's I've visited this week look like a flock of Vampires have been through, according to my talk with manager, new inventory is on hold till early January. As a TJX shareholder, the amount of damaged inventory in the fragrance section is depressing, sales seem ok in an otherwise weak christmas season.

TJX needs to figure out how FB avoids having people opening fragrance boxes.

Hopefully I'll see some L'occi stuff flowing through so far all I've seen is a few room air freshener spray's.

At the ones by me, they started putting them in these plastic case that have to opened by sales associates. No one can smell them, but more importantly, they can't open them. I've actually seen people mangling boxes, sniff, and then not buy it. At least when we go and see something, we have an idea how it smells, so the locked boxes are fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    At the ones by me, they started putting them in these plastic case that have to opened by sales associates. No one can smell them, but more importantly, they can't open them. I've actually seen people mangling boxes, sniff, and then not buy it. At least when we go and see something, we have an idea how it smells, so the locked boxes are fine by me.
    They do that at some of the more "urban" locations. I do enjoy sampling fragrances at TJX, but that should be handled by having testers (with a hard glued EAS tag) and the rest in shoplifting proof boxes.

I'm guessing that the economics of it mean that there is an acceptible level of shrink, and that if you lock everything up, without sampling, you get less fragrance sales overall and consume more labor.

Today I got B*Men 3.4 oz EDT (no box) and Perry Ellis 360 White at Marshall's. The Perry Ellis was all taped up, probably because it was opened and it had a security tag on the bottom. A few of the other Perry Ellis cases looked worse though. They also had Lacoste and Cool Water gift sets, but some of the pieces were taken. They also had Versace Blue Jeans, Bvlgari Blv and Polo Sport for Women.
    Last edited by 77Pat; 30th December 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Not quite TJX, but I did score a bottle Azzaro PH for $20/50ml at Filene's basement. Very nice classic 1970s fougere, marvelously well blended with a fair amount of musk in the base. Something that does not smell like the current crop of men's fragrances. However unlike some other big fougere's it doesn't "take up space" as say Drakkar Noir would.

This month I've been on a real musk kick after a chance encounter with a bottle of Jovan Musk. Jovan Musk is much to perfumey for my taste, but it got me thinking about 70's era musky fragrances. Hence a sampling of Azzaro PH, and planned purchase of Paco Rabanne and Kouros.

Downside is that these aren't terribly good office fragrances, so somewhat limited opportunity to wear them. .