Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Habit Rouge EdT & Egoiste - Similar beasts of prey?

Having limited experience with both of these as they seem to be relegated to Duty-Free shops in airports around the world, I've noticed a very similar thread between the two. They both furrow a path of refined, gentlemanly elegance. To my nose, they smelled very similar. Looking at the notes, both have Mandarin & Rosewood in their topnotes. Moving to the midnotes, they both share Cinnamon & Carnation. And on the basenotes, Vanilla is common to both. Obviously, the Leather gives HB it's character and the Rose gives Ego it's character, but other than that they appear to be similar beasts. I am thinking about buying HB but Ego still tempts me.

On a different note, I have an idea of creating a fragrance that would only be sold at duty-free shops. Further, I'd make the topnotes really good and skimp on the mid/basenotes so that by the time your flight ended, so would the fragrance. I could name something good like Flight or Jet Spray. However, I think sometimes that perfumers have already beat me to the punch!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Habit Rouge EdT & Egoiste - Similar beasts of prey?

Egoiste is on my shortlist. I love Habit Rouge. Have you tried the EdP version - hard to find, but worth the search.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Habit Rouge EdT & Egoiste - Similar beasts of prey?

After reading your post, I went upstairs - Habit Rouge is now on my left forearm and Egoiste is on my right.

Other than the fact that I like them both, I don't find that much in common between them. Habit Rouge feels much richer, less spicy and is, to me, a completely different animal than Egoiste.

I have to thank you, though, for prompting me to try Habit Rouge again. I have discovered that I like it much better in cold weather than I did in the summer heat.

Habit Rouge is classified by Edwards as an Oriental while Egoiste is classified as a Woody Oriental.

That is a large difference to me, as Woody Orientals represent 30% of my wardrobe while Orientals comprise only 3%. Don't get me wrong, I like Orientals, it is just that many do not seem to work for me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost