Code of Conduct

Default cheap vs quailty fragrance oils

hey everyone,

i am having a dilemma. i am trying to restrict my fragrances to those derived strictly from EOs. however, i am considering using Fragrance Oils, but have always found they vary in quality. some are very chemically and give me headaches, while it seems other i like quite a bit.

i have no idea how to determine the differences. is there some sort of method of manufacture, and the ingredients used that differentiates quality from cheap?

i can definitely tell a difference in quality between a Target scented product and say a boutique store's product.

what should i look for? where can i learn more? who sells top quality fragrance oils? can i use the same quality/brand in bath products that i might use in a candle or room diffuser?

thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy question

-shay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cheap vs quailty fragrance oils

Some good sources for oils:

www.edenbotanicals.com
    www.libertynatural.com
    http://essentialoils.org/

I've only dealt with Eden Botanicals, and have been very happy with my purchases. The other two are also supposed to be good sources according to what I've read on the Natural Perfumery yahoo group.

If you haven't checked out BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) you should! There has been much back and forth about whether they are "all" natural perfume oils, since there are notes such as strawberry and musk, etc which are accords not usually found in natural perfumary.

Another place you might like to look is Heaven and Earth Essentials. They have an all natural line, and most of their scents are blends of EO's and FO's.

I haven't found any straight FO's that I would ever wear but I have ordered from Brambleberry a few times when I was making bath products. Their customer service is wonderful.

I agree that Eden Botanicals is wonderful. If you are willing to do $100 minimum order White Lotus Aromatics has what I think to be some of the best absolutes, concretes, attars, and eo's in the world.

Sample, sample...

Have fun!
    Last edited by lookingglass; 10th December 2007 at 06:23 PM.

Are you looking for Fragrance Oils (very concentrated so you can make your own soap, lotion, scrubs, body wash, mist, perfume oils, etc - these come in single notes, composed perfumes and dupes of famous frags) or Perfume Oils (ready-to-wear, i.e., prediluted so they are skin safe, already composed perfumes)?

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    If you haven't checked out BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) you should! There has been much back and forth about whether they are "all" natural perfume oils, since there are notes such as strawberry and musk, etc which are accords not usually found in natural perfumary.
    They're not all-natural; a casual examination of their pricing and the notes present in some of their blends (some of which would be far too expensive, others impossible, and yet others likely allergens or sensitizers at the strength they're using) would confirm this for any knowledgeable perfumer or consumer. The idea that BPAL sells natural perfume is just a rumor spread by ignorant fans.

As for rumors, the one I've heard is that BPAL uses premixed FOs for their blends, which I find far more likely given (again) the prices and the way most of their blends have a samey hypersweetness to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Those cheap fragrance oils contain phthalates, with all kinds of health risks associated with them. I can't stand the smell of them, so that takes care of that for me. I have been looking at perfume lines that contain more natural essences, but second the suggestions here for you to look over at libertynatural and edenbotanicals for oils, places like that.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th December 2007 at 02:10 AM.

I've had bad experience ordering cheaper FO from small online stores. Every scent tend to be very sweet and hit the nose in a bad way. Paying extra for good quality FO is well worth it. They are more grounded and not too overwhelming.

I find some customers prefer a FO scent over an essential oil as they can smell less "earthy" and raw but more light. For example when a person thinks of cinnamon, cinnamon FO can be a better representation than cinnamon bark essential oil.

Agree with lookinglass to always request a sample before purchasing something in bulk!

Just found this thread...

Any experience with the designer type fragrance oils at places like saveonscents.com? Anyone know if these are safe, or contain phthalates?

Or can anyone know the best places to buy safe, quality designer type fragrance oils?

I tried 4 or 5 dupes from saveonscents; they were by far the worst of all the fragrance oils I've encountered. Weak, characterless, and they don't much resemble the original scents.

I like dupes from daystarsupplies quite a lot, they're very accurate and strong.

I can't speak to the phthalates question, but you could ask the company directly.