Code of Conduct

Default best aftershave BALM,alcohol free?

which is the best after-shave BALM,alcohol free?

PD:and splash alcohol free,any memorable mention.?

thanks
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 9th December 2007 at 01:05 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Default Re: best aftershave BALM,alcohol free?

I like my splashes but in the dry winter the balms are good too. A very good value balm is the Nivea Extra soothing balm without alcohol. It has a nice milky texture and a light scent which disappears quickly.

Coral skin food by Trumpers is pretty good stuff and again the scent is short lived.

If you are looking for luxury balms then those from Floris and Penhaligon's in the various scents are as good as it gets.

proraso balm.. also Baxter

How do you define *best*?

This is so personal, and so many options...

I like L'Occitane CADE, but it's somewhat heavy. Also use Lanvin Aprege, Trumper's Coral Skin Food, and some others I can't remember right now. I like Bulgari Pour Homme and Gucci Pour Homme ASBs (love the EDTs, so this is why I got the balms). Tried some Pennhaligons and decided I'm too young for it... Ah, I remember I have the VS Very Sexy for him dark + light blue AS Hydrators. They aren't bad at all, I expected much worse.

You really need to experiment. What works well for one doesn't have to work for you. Moreover, you may hate the scent.

Have fun
    Ivo

ps: It seems that alcohol is making a come-back lately (I myself too am starting to use more AS w/ alcohol) - is there a special reason you don't want it in your AS
    Last edited by izlat; 10th December 2007 at 08:28 PM.

well i go to try RHATMA aftershave
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

I am a big fan of acqua di parma collectzione after shave balm.
    Also Truefitt and Hill Ultimate comfort aftershave balm is very good.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I have used many and the following two are outstanding:

Proraso liquid aftershave cream:
    http://www.detailsformen.com/490370522217.html

Nancy Boy Aftershave Gel:
    http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?...cat=263&page=1

(replenishing gel)
    http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?...cat=263&page=1
    Last edited by zztopp; 14th December 2007 at 02:50 AM.
    -

L'Occitane CADE - is great for the winter.
    Nivea for Men Sensitive After Shave Extra Soothing Balm - great all arounder

Skin Soother by Fresh. It's a balm, and it's an olive oil base but surprisingly isn't oily. I'd notice that, being naturally super oily. I usually use a serum and moisturizer over it.

Agree about Proraso after shave liquid cream. It has a milky look and smells like you just walked out of a very traditional barber shop. Has a little witch hazel which can warm things up slightly right after application, but then quickly cools down with a menthol-like effect. Very classy IMO.

I'm with brooklynlou on this one (great name, by the way). Nivea for Men Sensitive After Shave Extra Soothing Balm is excellent all around. It is also fragrance-free, so it won't clash with your SotD/E. It is light, does the job perfectly, and doesn't leave a greasy film. It is inexpensive too, so if you don't like it, you haven't parted with too much.
    You are not your perfume.

I won't lie but the Cool Water aftershave balm is very nice, it soothes the skin and has the nice Cool Water smell.

I've used the cK Eternity aftershave balm and thought it was pretty good.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Lucky Tiger A/S splash (from Nordstrom).

Alcohol-free, certified organic (if important to you), fresh citrus scent that fades quickly.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Try Twinlab brand NaPCA moisturizer with aloe. It is about the consistency of water, and comes in a spray bottle. This stuff is just short of miraculous. It is a facial moisturizer (that works wonders both before & after shaving), a body moisturizer (have trouble moisturizing your back? Just reach over and spray it on!), and a super light-weight hair moisturizer (leave it in.)

Besides an eye cream, it's the only stuff I put on my mug after washing & shaving. Amazing stuff.

Another vote for Proraso. I was lucky enough to find it on clearance at my local Target for $3.00 a bottle and bought a few. Now I wish I would've bought the whole 10 or 11 that they had in stock, great stuff.

Scott

In my experience nothing soothes a razor burned face like Nancy Boy Replenishing After Shave Gel. This stuff is fantastic. Light cucumber scent that won't interfere with your favorite frags, either.

Gentleman's Refinery Balm, made by Perry Gastis out in Las Vegas.

Sharps Kid Glove Hydrating Gel is pretty good stuff. Has a decent smell that isn't strong or lasts long but is nice while it's there. Plus it's oil-free, so no zits either.

My skin is sensitive to shaving. I find that Nickel balm calms things down nicely. Nancy Boy Replenishing is good too, but it's a gel.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

It's pricey, but D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave is excellent. I prefer alcohol-based splashes, and the Pink aftershave is not really a balm but a non-alcohol toner that would be a good option for me if I abandoned my Booster splashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Gentleman's Refinery Balm, made by Perry Gastis out in Las Vegas.
    I agree, this is by far the most soothing and moisturizing AS balm. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynlou View Post
    L'Occitane CADE - is great for the winter.
    Nivea for Men Sensitive After Shave Extra Soothing Balm - great all arounder
    I'd go with both of those and also the new Nivea Extra Comfort Balm, which is IMHO the best all around in the nivea line.

EB 5 skin cream for men (located in portland Oregon) Kiehls ultra after shave balm.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Luxury Herbal Aftershave Cream
    Feather Kanwa Aftershave Balm
    ~ the thoughts and opinions of a 26 year old male whose interests include hip-hop culture, mixed martial arts, and gentlemanly endeavors.

Jack Black aftershave gel by far the best aftershave I've ever encountered and relatively cheap. Art of Shaving makes a good balm as well but it's pricey. I'm also loving the NXT line! And it doubles as a lava lamp.

Cheers,
    Al

Aqua Velva Ice Balm........................simply delicious!!
    "Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis"

I second The Gentlemens Refinery After Shave Balm http://www.thegr.com. The Standard scent is phenomenal, but I use the "unscented after shave balm" due to my skin sensitivities.

Taking everything (price, availability, quality etc) into account, I would go with Nivea and Proraso products.

Whilst I'm happy to spend on frags which smell nice and last, I can't, in my own mind, justify shedding out big money for something that basically just moisturises your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Taking everything (price, availability, quality etc) into account, I would go with Nivea and Proraso products.
    I echo this statement, I'm a lifelong user of Proraso/Nivea shaving products as well.

Clarins Moisture Balm.

I m using 1 week....my skin changed very much.....so soft!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apparently this thread has has over 10,000 views. how is that possible?
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I make my own in small batches to keep it fresh :

6 oz. parts witch hazel to 2 oz. of organic aloe gel......8 drops of essential oil of peppermint and 8 drops of essential oil of frankensence...shake mixture well each time before application.
    FOR SALE CHEAP !!.....two blind buys that didn't work for me : 4.2oz CORDUROY by Zirh EDT and 3.4 oz CADILLAC EDT; both like new !

I'd go with Nivea

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    apparently this thread has has over 10,000 views. how is that possible?
    It has nearly 22000 views now, because of "best after shave balm" keywords. A few days back I bought Arko adventure Balm for 3.5 $ and it's disappointing. It doesn't soothe and moisturize. It was irritating my skin that I woke up in the middle of night to use some moisturizer cream. I had GIVENCHY Pi Neo Aftershave Balm and it was great, but I can't aford to buy it again, though It's hard to find it here.
    Last edited by hike; 22nd October 2011 at 10:54 AM.

I am on a bit of a ASB and Shave Cream search at the present time and I still have not settled on a finalist. I have tried many different brands. I don't have any serious skin problems so my ASB criteria seem to have boiled down to #1, just the right scent and #2, feel and texture. Anyway so far I am liking Men-U Facial Moisturizer Lift and Proraso liquid cream after shave. Unfortunately, neither of these two really ring my bell. Proraso smells closer to a barbershop (which I am looking for) but is a little bit runny for my liking, and the Men-U, being a little thicker is good, but the fragrance is farther from the barbershop smell I am looking for. Both are cool, smooth and refreshing and do a great job mind you. They will both be in my rotation. I am awaiting an order of Musgo Real soon so we shall see.

BTW Master-Classter gets the blame for this madness, he should not have enclosed shave cream and ASB samples in a swap box that I got my hands on. That's what got me started!
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

My favourites are:

1. Proraso AS Liquid Balm - smells barber shop like and very fresh, balm is very thin and this stuff just WORKS !

2. Clinique Post Shave Healer - I believe this stuff has a tiny bit of alcohol in it, but this stuff is mild and effective. Awesome product !

3. Edwin Jagger/Mühle AloeVera AS Balm - this stuff also contains a tiny bit of alcohol, but it's so mild and healing, that you will never notice this. Great stuff !

4. Castle Forbes Lime AS Balm - very nice AS Balm. Top quality product !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Git aftershave is nice, but not as nice as it used to be. Art of shaving sandalwood right now is my fav, eau des baux by loccitane is very nice as well.

The L'Occitane line of after shave balms in tubes is economical with good performance.

Of these, I like the smell of Eau des Baux (+1) but all of them (Lavender, Cade, etc.) perform well.

Ditto for the Truefitt and Hill lines of after shave balms in tubes and pump bottles.

The Guerlains also have good products. The Habit Rouge after shave balm in the red tube (not the alcohol after shave) is very good.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I highly recommend Trumper's Fragrance Free Moisturising Lotion - it's obviously particularly good for people with dry skin. It's like their skin foods but without a scent. I find scented after shave balms to be practically useless since there are two fragrances which I use more often than once in two months. And these two does not have after shave balms in their range of products.