Code of Conduct

Thread: See a pattern?

Default See a pattern?

Hi All:

Total newb here, but I've made extensive use of the search feature and the review section. I'm still having a hard time pinpointing what particular notes I like, and as a result I'm not sure which scents I should test out in the future. I'd like to list what I've tried, in hopes that some more experienced members can see a pattern and help me figure out where my preferences lie.

Thoroughly enjoyed:
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male (wish it was a tiny bit spicier)
    Hanae Mori HM (wish there was slightly less citrus in the base)
    Vera Wang for Men (didn't last all day)
    Swiss Army (old standby, looking for something new)

Enjoyed, but not what I'm looking for (most of these just didn't stand out to me, but in the case of Pi and Dior, I smelled too much vanilla or tonka bean):
    Dunhill Pursuit
    Burberry Brit
    Givenchy Pi
    Armani Code
    Lacoste Pour Homme
    Dior Homme
    Thierry Mugler Angel

Did not enjoy:
    Kenneth Cole RSVP (found it too dry)
    Rochas Man (too dessert-like)
    Prada Pour Homme (not masculine enough IMHO)
    Gucci Envy (reminds me of frankincense or myrrh - my last favourite to date)

So there you have it. Based on the note pyramids, do my tastes seem to conflict, or can you discern a pattern? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: See a pattern?

Its sort of impossible to really have a note that you love in every perfume...you'll see fairly conflicting theories in your own preference of liking JPG and HM, but not loving Angel and disliking Rochas. Not that they all smell alike...but are definitely in similar families.

Its really something that has to be judge one fragrance at a time...I love jasmin, for instance, but can't say that I've liked every jasmin-based scent out there.

Too subjective.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked a very similar question, once upon a time. Welcome to Basenotes! :wave:

I know some fragrance-finders have been recommended, but Quarry also had a great thread about searching by notes.

Good luck!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

first, welcome! And I agree with SoFresh that approaching fragrance by evaluating notes can be problematic as there are so many different ways to use a given note when combined with the other notes in a cologne or perfume. Even the formulations can vary from strength to strength of the same fragrance. Still, if one *reallly* stands out as good or bad, you can take note of that. For example the licorice note in Lolita Lempicka turned me off utterly -- I don't even like candy black licorice -- but it doesn't pop up that often and i would still keep an open mind if it's toned down and counterbalanced with something else.

It more often comes down to effects you like or not: many women dislike "powdery" or "sharp" or "green" scents. The best way to discover effects yo like and loathe is to simply sniff: at a store or from samples. You've begun but there's still much more sniffing to do, and hey, that's the fun part.

good luck and have fun and welcome to basenotes.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 10th December 2007 at 05:13 PM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Its sort of impossible to really have a note that you love in every perfume...you'll see fairly conflicting theories in your own preference of liking JPG and HM, but not loving Angel and disliking Rochas. Not that they all smell alike...but are definitely in similar families.

Its really something that has to be judge one fragrance at a time...I love jasmin, for instance, but can't say that I've liked every jasmin-based scent out there.

Too subjective.
    Jasmine notes are in my most favorite and least favorite fragrances. It's really hard to go by notes when choosing something unsniffed, but you might try sampling various ones based on a note you like to see what works for you. I really cannot make a blanket statement that I like this or that classification of fragrances, either. Sometimes I surprise myself by loving something I never thought I would or vice versa.

Very interesting, thanks for your help and the welcoming everyone. I've seen a lot of threads regarding similar scents, but I was hoping pick up on something so that I may stumble onto some on my own. Guess I'll buy a small bottle of Le Male and keep sampling in the meantime.