Code of Conduct

Default Woodsy/earthy fragrance recommendation?

Hi!

I'm looking for a new fragrance that has a woodsy/earthy smell to it. Do you have any recommendations?

Other fragrances I've liked: I'm fairly new to the fragrance world, and my favorite scents that I've come across come from Jo Malone. I also liked many of the L'Artisan fragrances (though they are a little pricey). I thought Timbuktu had a nice woody smell, but wasn't quite right for me, but maybe something similar. I'm having trouble going into a department store and finding scents that I like (there's some typical flowery women's perfumy smell that i'm trying to stay away from....) so I'd love some help. I was also thinking about looking into some men's fragrances?

I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

Default Re: Woodsy/earthy fragrance recommendation?

I was going to suggest Timbuktu - one of my favorites! Have you tried any vetiver based scents? Vetiver by Guerlain (usually in men's section) or Vetiver Tonka (Hermes) - there are many, many vetivers and they tend to be earthy and a bit woodsy as well.

Since you are looking for a woodsy/earthy fragrance and are open to men's scents, I will recommend Guerlain Vetiver. It is a fantastic scent that is worn by a few women I know.

Tam Dao is sandalwood, and it's as woody as it gets; it smells like the lumber section at Home Depot. And it's not too sweet, either.
    Anything with a prominent patchouli or vetiver note will do the trick, too.
    Let me think about some specific ones. I'll try to get back to you.

I'll recommend Serge Lutens Chene. Very woodsy and earthy.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Under the men's canopy, Terre d'Hermes is often lauded.

Look for iris or orris root among fragrance notes. These often reveal an earthy quality.

For spot-on realism, Demeter makes scents that smell just as they're named. Dirt smells like dirt, etc.
    Last edited by Quarry; 10th December 2007 at 09:29 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Under the men's canopy, Terre d'Hermes is often lauded.
    Quarry beat me to it - go directly to a mens fragrance counter in your neighborhood and ask to smell Terre de Hermes by Hermes. It's lovely for women too.

Many scents I love fall into this category too. One of my favorites is The Different Company's Bois d'Iris--iris with a beautiful musky base of vetiver and woods. I agree with the Guerlain Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes recommendations; Lalique Encre Noir is also a very nice vetiver scent marketed to men but equally suitable to women. If you like Jo Malone, you've probably already found Black Vetyver Cafe, a beauty!

In L'Artisan's line, you could try Dzongkha if you haven't already--personally I prefer it to Timbuktu. From Diptyque, Opone (earthy rose) and Philosykos (fig and woods) are worth trying in addition to Tam Dao, and reasonably priced. Tumulte Pour Homme is a cedar scent that can be found outrageously cheap at Marshalls/TJ Maxx right now. You also might like to explore incense scents like the ones from Comme des Garcons. Hope that helps!

CB I Hate Perfume Wild Hunt smells like the forest floor, incredibly realistic. Add another vote for Terre d'Hermes. I also recommend Editions de Parfums Malle, Vetiver Extraordinaire and Bois d'Orage/French Lover. MPG's Route du Vetiver might be worth your while as well.
    Last edited by Sloan; 10th December 2007 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I can't wait to go out and smell them!

I think Shiseido's Feminite dB has a very woodsy and earthy tone to it.