Code of Conduct

Thread: Dad for XMAS

Default Dad for XMAS

Basenoters,

I know its tough to throw out the recommendations for personalized fragrance. I need some "steering" in the right direction.

My dad is a 60-70 year old guy who is a manly man. He tells everyone that he hates cologne and is spraying Guerlain Vetiver all over the place acting like no one notices.

I want to get him something nice and unique for xmas. Need something that is masculine enough for him to be confident in wearing it. High quality as well for his gentlemanly age.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Default Re: Dad for XMAS

What a great idea! I'm 68+ years old so we're right in line age-wise and I'm a married "manly man" too. Here are some I love:

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

Great Jones

Bulgari Black

Acier Aluminium

Le Dandy

Cannabis Santal

Fou d'Absinthe

M7

Good luck!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I would recommend Habit Rouge. Seems like it'd be high enough quality for him [already hosing down with the vetiver], and the confidence I muster when wearing it is amazing, and I'm 1/3 of his age. I don't see you going wrong with that. Failing that, just hit up Kouros, or maybe yatagan [which I've failed to be able to test yet, but I hear Yatagan is simply amazing].

I second the choice of Habit Rouge....

I also suggest Ralph Lauren's Safari is a great choice for an older gentleman... it's not as heady and 'classic' smelling as something like Polo... It can be found fairly easily and is one of the better designer fragrances out there.. (IMHO).... it says sophisticated but fun-loving. It has great sillage and longevity and will garner quite a few compliments from those around him, without offending many...

I also reccomend the smoother than silk Lalique PH for men...

a.

I'm not sure I understand your reference to Guerlain Vetiver. Does your dad actually use it and like it?

Assuming that he likes Vetiver (the overall effect, not so much the particular notes), avoiding gourmands and orientals in general, and along traditional manly lines I'd recommend:

Aigner In Leather (or another leather frag)
    Cartier Santos
    Loewe para Hombre
    Eau Sauvage
    Cerruti 1881
    Hermes Equipage or Bel Ami
    Jil Sander Man Pure (if you can find it)
    Paco Rabanne (original)
    Ungaro I
    Van Cleef and Arpels (original)

I've tried to stick with dry, no-nonense frags, kind of with an outdoor feeling, but as you can see, there are a few more elegant choices also.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 11th December 2007 at 03:11 AM.

Trumper Sandalwood or Spanish Leather.

Truefitt & Hill Grafton

Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet or Douro

There are others, but some of the names or bottles would be a problem for him. These's would work.

My Dad is in that same demographic. He never wears cologne, but my Mom wants him to start.

He'll be 66 on the 20th. After learning that I use eye gel and wrinkle control lotion, he boasted "Why, I've never used any of that stuff". Right. He used Oil of Olay every day when I lived at home and he colored his hair from his 30's into his 60's. Whatever.

Anywho, he's a great guy. I guess sometimes vanity is a hard thing to acknowledge. I'm a proud metrosexual. And my wife thinks that's great!

So for his birthday/Christmas, I bought him a nice gift set of Paul Sebastian PS. It's one of the most popular scents with that age bracket. Women love it. It has cologne, AS and the deodorant stick with it. I know he'll at least use the deo. I've heard two ladies at cologne counters in my experience give honest replies that they really like this one. About 20 years apart.

The other scents I considered for him were Halston Z-14 (might have been too strong for Mom) and Obsession Night (might have been too fresh for Dad).

I am 55 and I have been really enjoying leather scents lately.

In that genre, I recommend:

Michael for Men - Michael Kors
    Tabarome - Creed
    Royal English Leather - Creed
    Derby - Guerlain (hard to find - discontinued)
    Bel Ami - Hermes
    Eau d'Hermes - Hermes
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme - VC&A
    Knize Ten - Knize
    Parfum d'Habit - MPG
    Aramis 900 - Aramis
    Devin - Aramis
    Quorum - Antonio Puig
    Bulgari Black - Bulgari
    Antaeus - Chanel
    Polo (green) - Ralph Lauren

Yatagan and Kouros also fit the description you gave of your Dad! [Kouros is a love-it or hate-it scent - I love it!]
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 12th December 2007 at 01:20 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

My father's worn the original Escada for years, and I think it's terribly dignified.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes