Code of Conduct

Default YSL L'HOMME vs. Lancome Hypnose

Hi guys, I'd like to hear from you what do you think about these 2 scents. And which one you prefer?

I don't know why I always associate YSL L'homme with Lancome Hypnose. Perhaps, because they came out about the same time and were frequently mentioned here several months ago.

I bought YSL L'Homme yesterday, but now feel like I shouldn't have. The scent is similar to many others on the market. As I keep sniffing my wrist, scents from Hugo Boss and Baldessarini came up to mind with a sigh. However, the cap is so grand I'm not feeling hurt! (yeah, right, I'm consoling myself).

I have a sample vial of Hypnose and have so far worn it once. Its sweetness is very attractive in the same way I fall for Body Kouros. It's also long lasting. To answer my own question, I like Hypnose much more than YSL L'Homme.

What about you?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: YSL L'HOMME vs. Lancome Hypnose

You're not the only one, i thought YSL's L'Homme lacked a great deal of personality, something HH definitely has.
    In short, if I want to go safe and very fresh, I go with YSL's scent, if i want warmer and a bit more complicated (as far as lavender scents go), then i'd choose HH.

Basenotes Institution

Lancome Hypnose Homme is better IMO.

I haven't tested Hypnose but I do like YSL L'Homme.. sure it isn't groundbreaking but that doesn't make it a bad scent.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

In my opinion, L'Homme isn't a bad scent, only a bit uninspired, with a clear "deja v˙" feeling, and too "serious" for me (the same it happens with Herrera for Men).

Ok guys....
    Let's forget about YSL l'Homme to be a re-heated soup of what's supposed to be a popular hit on the masses
    Let's also forget about the nice bauhaus bottle that has imo absolutely nothing to share with its content...
    let's talk instead about how far is this juice from being "Saint Laurent"!!! It's no mistery I find also Rive Gauche PH to be quite a deja vu and quite a "mature" scent, but at least it has quite a Saint Laurent vibe in it for some reason... but what about that warm water bottled?
    At least Hypnose tries to stand on it's own with a generally pleasant warm accord. No hyperbole here but at least a proud juice.
    So Hypnose hands down.

I found Hypnose to be too sweet IMO. L'Homme has some sweetness to it, but also a bit of spice.

Out of the two, I own L'Homme. As was stated, groundbreaking? No. But are you going to smell sexy? Yes.

To the original poster, you went with your guy instinct and 9 times out of 10, you right when you do that.

Actually, L'Homme was released almost a year earlier than Hypnose. L'Homme is basically YSL's cash grab, and it's meant to appease the masses which is something YSL has never done IMHO. Cash over art. Average at best. Disappointing.

Now Hypnose is a much different animal. Lancome took their time with this one and you can really tell it has depth, quality and presence. Almost on par with Dior Homme's brilliance and in some ways tops Miracle Homme which is a great scent. IMHO the best designer scent this year.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Actually, L'Homme was released almost a year earlier than Hypnose. L'Homme is basically YSL's cash grab, and it's meant to appease the masses which is something YSL has never done IMHO. Cash over art. Average at best. Disappointing.
    For what it is, I think its well done and it achieves the goals of being a wearable well liked fragrance. Not everyone wants to wear challenging fragrances, and there are many situations where overtly sexy or heavy fragrances aren't appropriate. You can wear YSL L'Homme to the office or on a date, and it would it play well in both roles.

I like L'Homme a LOT, and I dont feel it a scent with any less pulling power than any of the others in the YSL mens range.
    Its the one scent I smelled on a guy at the office and thought "WOW!, I gotta get that!", and has given me the most compliments above all others in my wardrobe! Its sparkling quality is versatile enough to take you seamlessly from day to night, and can be worn on casual or semi-formal occasions.

Hypnose is the lesser of the two, to my mind. It may have more depth, but its medicinal/marzipan-like sweetness is not to my liking.

I agree. Not everyone wants to smell "outrageous" and if YSL played it safe then IMHO, they did a fine job making a quality safe cologne. I hate ginger notes, but, even L'Homme had me enjoying it for once. I think Hypnose isn't bad at all either, but, between the two, I prefer the former rather than the latter.

L'Homme is an everytime, any mood fragrance .. but not in a citrusy or aquatic way.. it has that sheer charisma.. great for work or anytime you're not really in the mood for anything heavy ..

while Hypnose is deeper & would be better for night or colder weather.. & you should be in the mood..

so u choose

Well, thanks for all comments. I want to clear myself a little more. I didn't mean that I don't like YSL L'Homme, I only regretted that it bears a resemble to my other previous purchases. If I haven't bought those, I would have been very happy with YSL. I like YSL scents, and want to own all. I'm looking forward to getting Opium (EDP if possible), Jazz, Live Jazz and M7 Fresh.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Both are not that good IMHO. For me YSL L'Homme is pretty derivative & safe. It would make a nice gift for someone else.

Hypnose was something like Le Male (which I don't like) if I remember right. I know I wasn't impressed with it.

FWIW, I don't like Opium for Men, the ginger note is dreadful - I think it's the same as in Jako. However the women's version of Opium is great stuff.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    Both are not that good IMHO. For me YSL L'Homme is pretty derivative & safe. It would make a nice gift for someone else.

Hypnose was something like Le Male (which I don't like) if I remember right. I know I wasn't impressed with it.

FWIW, I don't like Opium for Men, the ginger note is dreadful - I think it's the same as in Jako. However the women's version of Opium is great stuff.
    Agreed. I've tested Opium for men and for women and I think I prefer the latter.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

i like l'homme better. I liked this frag from the very beginning. It evolves differntly every time i put it on...its definitely a body chem frag...i know all are supposed to be, but this one smells different every time i have tried it....some times its powdery, sometimes its musky, but i plan to get some. Hypnose, like you said, is very sweet....not offensively so, but i wouldnt buy a full bottle because i could not wear it a whole lot...dont feel bad, imo you made a wise choice in going with l'homme.

As a strange but possibly viable side note, I often group them together, too. Yes, they were launched at practically the same time, They for some reason often share counter space at the department stores, but the thing that puts them together for me is that they look so similar to the eye when you look at their full names... There are lots of Y's L's, H's, O's and M's, etc in there.. for some reason that makes me think of them in the same sentence. Who knows. For what it matters I prefer Hypnose. After a while it reminds me of toasted sugary rice pudding (?????)

I didn't say that it was a bad scent, it's fairly enjoyable and very simple -specially at the tropics or in summertime-, and when compared to, say, Ocean Pacific FM -or something along those lines-, YSL's scent is a master class in perfumery, but i just preferred Lancôme's release best.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    As a strange but possibly viable side note, I often group them together, too. Yes, they were launched at practically the same time, They for some reason often share counter space at the department stores, but the thing that puts them together for me is that they look so similar to the eye when you look at their full names... There are lots of Y's L's, H's, O's and M's, etc in there.. for some reason that makes me think of them in the same sentence. Who knows. For what it matters I prefer Hypnose. After a while it reminds me of toasted sugary rice pudding (?????)
    Ah, this is exactly what I feel. Sometimes I got mixed up, thinking they were YSL Hypnose and Lancome L'Homme.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

ysl is neutral and multi purpose..fresh and light ( a summer scent for me)
    i'm not saying it's a bad scent...but it just lack character
    but there are those days when you need scents like these
    and yes...the cap is awesome

as for hypnose....sweet gourmand but in a mature way
    it has more "depth" and interesting points....awesome dry down
    the image i see when i smell this is just something really thing a creamy...and of course sweet...but not in a sickening way

i really like both..
    right now Hypnose wins...but eh...actually depends on my mood...i say a tie haha
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    FrÚdÚric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    HermŔs - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Hypnose is on the "wish list" i gave my wife for Christmas...although the YSL is very nice as well. But for now i want the Hypnose more.
    Last edited by knightowl; 19th December 2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??