Code of Conduct

Smile How to do bottle splits

I assume you need another container. I am just wondering how some of you do this. I am sure it is not complicated. I just wondered

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Default Re: How to do bottle splits

1. Inquire as to who & how many participants there will be
    2. Purchase bottle (probably a large one)
    3. Purchase decant-sized atomizers (usually 10ml-30ml)
    4. If large bottle is a splash, use a pipette to measure & fill decant bottles.
    5. If a spray bottle, spray freehand or using a small funnel the amount into the decant bottles.
    6. Change each participant for their share of bottle (including shipping), and tack on amount for decant atomizer and shipping to them.
    7. Usually the person doing the decanting keeps the original bottle with their share of the contents.

...I think that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    1. Inquire as to who & how many participants there will be
    2. Purchase bottle (probably a large one)
    3. Purchase decant-sized atomizers (usually 10ml-30ml)
    4. If large bottle is a splash, use a pipette to measure & fill decant bottles.
    5. If a spray bottle, spray freehand or using a small funnel the amount into the decant bottles.
    6. Change each participant for their share of bottle (including shipping), and tack on amount for decant atomizer and shipping to them.
    7. Usually the person doing the decanting keeps the original bottle with their share of the contents.

...I think that's it.
    I'm rather curious as to the response to lost packages. If an atomizer is lost in the mail during this process, who eats the loss?

I am curious as to the incidence of RSI's from doing all that spraying - and who pays the medical bills.

scentophile, I think that insuring and tracking packages is one way to get around the issue you bring up. I imagine the participants should be willing to pay a little extra for those insurance benefits.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

Isn't this a touchy subject considering decant sales and swaps are forbidden on Basenotes?

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Isn't this a touchy subject considering decant sales and swaps are forbidden on Basenotes?
    He didn't offer to do it, just asking how.

I have a friend in my city who wants to do the same thing (split a bottle with me.) He is not on basenotes and there would be no shipping. It's a fair question, I think.
    Last edited by zatarain; 11th December 2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: clarification
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Smile Re: How to do bottle splits

Thanks sofresh. Thats what I wanted to know. Concise and to the point.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I am curious as to the incidence of RSI's from doing all that spraying - and who pays the medical bills.

scentophile, I think that insuring and tracking packages is one way to get around the issue you bring up. I imagine the participants should be willing to pay a little extra for those insurance benefits.
    Right on. Okay, how about international shipping when insuring (customs issue) and tracking becomes more difficult? How about we just break it down to a bottle sale. If someone sells a fragrance and it is lost, who takes the hit?
    Last edited by scentophile; 11th December 2007 at 09:09 PM.

Insurance and tracking are available on international shipments, at least with some carriers (FedEx, EMS I know for sure.)

I may not understand the customs issue, but isn't that paid on arrival, ie, you wouldn't pay it until receiving the package? In which case, moot point.

The shipper pays the insurance and shipping fee and if the package is lost, the insurance presumably reimburses the shipper, who then reimburses the buyer. So nobody is "out" except temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Insurance and tracking are available on international shipments, at least with some carriers (FedEx, EMS I know for sure.)

I may not understand the customs issue, but isn't that paid on arrival, ie, you wouldn't pay it until receiving the package? In which case, moot point.

The shipper pays the insurance and shipping fee and if the package is lost, the insurance presumably reimburses the shipper, who then reimburses the buyer. So nobody is "out" except temporarily.
    Interesting. I always demand payment before I ship, and I've always paid before I received something. Sellers old or new have always demanded payment first at least for me. Maybe I've been doing all this wrong.

Well, I would think that it's difficult to insure something when you're going to fudge the customs label. I've never purchased insurance during international shipping. And at my post office in France, you actually have to show the post lady what you have in the box if you want to purchase insurance (at least that's what I've seen people doing).

Oh I agree, payment before shipment. And insurance and fudging the value on the customs label don't mix. So it is more expensive than shipping uninsured.

The bottle splits that interest me the most would be larger than 10ml decants.

I have followed some where 500ml or 1000ml bottles were divided into 100ml splits.

For that, you would need a 100ml spray bottle.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Since 1ml is approximately 10 sprays, then 100ml would be 1000 sprays, right? That's a lot of fingerwork! Me, I'd just get too impatient and would probably end up putting a hole in the bottle and pouring it out.

I've never decanted myself, but someone once told me you should measure your decant atomizers to make sure how much you should fill it up to reach exactly 10ml or whatever, otherwise you might be left with nothing after the second last decant.

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    Since 1ml is approximately 10 sprays, then 100ml would be 1000 sprays, right? That's a lot of fingerwork! Me, I'd just get too impatient and would probably end up putting a hole in the bottle and pouring it out.

I've never decanted myself, but someone once told me you should measure your decant atomizers to make sure how much you should fill it up to reach exactly 10ml or whatever, otherwise you might be left with nothing after the second last decant.
    I just filled a 5ml atomiser with Ungaro I and it gave 37 sprays. Since i filled it up to the brim i assume it was more than 5ml in there. I'd say it depends on the atomiser how many sprays it will give per ml. This one that i have obviously gives around 7 sprays for each ml but then i have felt the juice comes out well scattered & mists quite beautifully.

I think its important to measure the liquid by using a marked pipette since most atomisers can carry more than their stipulated capacity. Imagine filling up 5ml spray mini's of Patou pour homme without measuring them. Like you said before the penultimate decant the juice would be all gone.

gupts

The number of spritz depends hugely on the atomizer, the precision of the sprayer can also affects the amount of lost during the decanting (though hopefully not too much).

As for the insurance, I can only say that shipping insured packaged in Europe is very expensive ...
    Splitting is a shared risk, so sharing the costs when packages get lost seems to me quite fair.
    Last edited by Ascella; 12th December 2007 at 09:51 AM.

Another downside to shipping insured is that it guarantees that customs will take heed of the parcel and you'll end up with duty and VAT added to the package too (at least here in Europe). Of course, using one of the express parcel shipping companies (UPS, DHL, etc) also has the same result, as they automatically submit all parcels for customs inspection. I've found regular post is usually the best method.