Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mitsouko Lovers will either love me or hate me for this...

Gather round me pretties... I have just returned from the Big Bad Fragrant City and managed a quick stop in at Aedes in the Village...

my news is this:
    Apparently Molinard in collaboration with Aedes has opened up an archived chypre formulation and will be releasing a limited number of bottles of this new and gorgeous perfume.... called "Une Histoire de Chypre"... I just spoke with Karl and he told me it is ON THE WAY, they will be putting it up on their site soon...

Here's the rub

It is the closest thing I have ever smelled to capturing the essence of my vintage bottle of Mitsouko parfum.
    Perhaps a bit less smoky, more veil like, but my, my, my, ladies, if you love Mitsouko, this perfume is going to be a must have for you.

I was swooning and sniffing myself all the way home on the train.
    Keep your eyes out for this...it will take your breath away. Classic. Gorgeous. Chypre. Knockout.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 23rd December 2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: replaced Une for Un, found out that Une is now correct!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Mitsouko Lovers will either love me or hate me for this...

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post

Here's the rub

It is the closest thing I have ever smelled to capturing the essence of my vintage bottle of Mitsouko parfum.
    Perhaps a bit less smoky, more veil like, but my, my, my, ladies, if you love Mitsouko, this perfume is going to be a must have for you.

Oh zatarain! You need to check this out STAT (and send me a decant while you are at it he he).

and thanks rtamara for keeping us in the loop!
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 11th December 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

My pleasure, Mia Kulpa. A few more details:
    I believe the presentation will be in a similar bottle to the ones pictured here:

http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=86&cat_id=1
    and will run about $225 a bottle...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

$225 a bottle?

::faints::

hmm wait, I do have that nifty Aedes gift card coming...

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

well, in that case Mia, you need to check this out STAT...

and send me a decant.

and thanks rtamara in any case!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    $225 a bottle?

::faints::

hmm wait, I do have that nifty Aedes gift card coming...
    LUCKY!!!
    Just reading the note pyramid was inspirational...I'll be looking forward to reading the official release on the Aedes site.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    well, in that case Mia, you need to check this out STAT...

and send me a decant.

and thanks rtamara in any case!

my gift card is already spoken for by Voleur de Roses and Fleurs d'Oranger. no more room at the GC inn, I'm afraid.

But this frag will ease the pain of your eBay loss...and the decant will nicely fill out my collection.

Well, those are worthy choices, my sister....

you are right, this will ease the pain of my dwindling drops of vintage Mitsouko parfum.
    The Perfume Goddess is smiling upon us all........

a decant , eh? we'll see, my dear, we'll see

(mental note: must feed and clothe the children FIRST. THEN acquire the new pretty Chypre Knockout)
    Last edited by rtamara41; 11th December 2007 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    My pleasure, Mia Kulpa. A few more details:
    I believe the presentation will be in a similar bottle to the ones pictured here:

http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=86&cat_id=1
    and will run about $225 a bottle...
    Digging into jewelry box to see what I can hock!!!
    You sure do know how to hurt a gal Renee
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Oh, la, la, la, la.
    Mitsouki clones and new, true, chypre perfumes.
    I looooove youuuuuuu.
    I hope classic chypres come back in style and overcome the new, yucky ones.
    Thanks for this great news.

Ugh!

OK... it's a must have.... blind to boot!

Bottle split.... anyone out there?
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

How much?

Oh my lord.

Good job I'm not a mad-keen Mitsouko lover (although...I'm thinking my bottle possibly isn't genuine...)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Karl passed out samples of this at the fall Sniffa, and it's no exaggeration; the jus is beautiful.
    A classic.
    I feel it's different enough to justify having both, but I haven't 'gone there' yet...

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    Ugh!

OK... it's a must have.... blind to boot!

Bottle split.... anyone out there?
    I was just thinking the same thing! You know I'm always game.... let me know.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Hey, guys-
    If you're doing a split, I'd be glad to join in [ if that's OK]...

*perk*

what's this about a split?

I'm in, and count zatarain in too. I, of course, have the legal authority to speak for him.

Me too also- if I sign on for a split I'll be able to resist ordering it blind.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

May this new one join the group of splitters? I am ready to swoon!

Blog Entries

There is one small problem with a true return to classic chypre perfumes, purplebird 7. A defining note in any classic chypre is oakmoss absolute. Perfumers have their hands tied when it comes to using this delightful ingredient. The Powers That Be have declared it taboo for being an allergen to some people. One more time the masses of people who have absolutely NO problems with it must bend to those few who do. The same is true for orris absolute. Wouldn't a sane person think that simply a statement of contents would suffice? But no, everyone must pay. Even though our grandparents did just fine with oakmoss, orris and many other wonderful things in both men's and women's fragrances. As a perfumer, this pisses me off. We do have synthetic oakmoss, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. I hope that this collaboration of Molinard with Aedes is blatantly breaking the "rules."
    Put me down as a great fan of Mitsouko, btw ;-)
    ...Michael Storer
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Blog Entries

I want to be a splittee too
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Definitely in for a split, folks...If my ears did not deceive me, Robert may have mentioned something about a limited quantity of about 400 bottles in the first lot.
    --------------------------------------
    Okay, here is the note pyramid as per a phone call to Robert this morning.

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin
    Heart: Jasmin
    Base: Oakmoss, Patchouli, Galbanum

Plus, I am correcting the spelling...I believe the correct spelling is Un Histoire de Chypre with the Un being masculine.

Bottles may arrive as soon as tomorrow. Newsletter will be sent out upon arrival.
    Now, I discovered the original spelling of Une was correct. Silly me.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 23rd December 2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

The cat is out the bag - looks like you have to place advance order:

http://glasspetalsmoke.blogspot.com/...ists-gift.html
    Chanakya

Cool. But listen, I just spoke to Robert this morning. I know we can get some bottles if we want them. I KNOW it. (clicks her heels three times and spins around...)

As most of you know now, I've offered to run the split. Renee is pretty busy and Dimples is over the border in Canada. So if we can all ignore the daftness of shipping back and forth across the country, I'll get a move on and get details to everyone as they develop.
    --------------------------------------
    Okay, jumped in with both feet. I ordered two bottles and they should be heading my way on Monday.
    Last edited by Kyra; 13th December 2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Yippeeeeeee!!!!!
    Chanakya

Much appreciation to valiant and speedy Kyra for moving so fast...thank you!!

Oh yuck, galbanum. I think I will stick with Mitsouko.
    Quite like the sound of the white chocolate, pepper and cardamom bar though.

Bless you Kyra, for you have sinned...LOL
    Great job, Bubbeleh !
    Thanks a TON...

You gals sure know how to chase down the 'fumes! You're the best!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

THANKS KYRA, for doing this for us. Really good of you!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer View Post
    There is one small problem with a true return to classic chypre perfumes, purplebird 7. A defining note in any classic chypre is oakmoss absolute. Perfumers have their hands tied when it comes to using this delightful ingredient. The Powers That Be have declared it taboo for being an allergen to some people. One more time the masses of people who have absolutely NO problems with it must bend to those few who do. The same is true for orris absolute. Wouldn't a sane person think that simply a statement of contents would suffice? But no, everyone must pay. Even though our grandparents did just fine with oakmoss, orris and many other wonderful things in both men's and women's fragrances. As a perfumer, this pisses me off. We do have synthetic oakmoss, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. I hope that this collaboration of Molinard with Aedes is blatantly breaking the "rules."
    Put me down as a great fan of Mitsouko, btw ;-)
    ...Michael Storer

Michael, do you happen to know how or whether the regulation of oakmoss is enforced? I've heard that oakmoss of a certain percentage is still acceptable and also that compliance with the ban is voluntary. The recently released Lubin and Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien contain oakmoss, so it seems like niche lines are still doing their own thing to a certain extent.

The regulations are so bizarre. I can understand how frustrating it would be for a perfumer.

(I'm looking forward to trying your fragrances, by the way : ). And I'm very excited about this new Mitsouko-like fragrance.

Blog Entries

Dear Minou2 et al,

A very good question. Actually, except for ever more complex European Common Market labeling laws, to my knowledge most all of the 'rules' of what is allowed and what isn't are dictated by IFRA (International Fragrance Association), which is a self-governing body. Since most (or all) small niche houses are not members of IFRA, our usage (or levels of usage) of IFRA restricted substances is on our own shoulders. For instance, I have no one looking over my compounding ready to penalize me for using a ton of oakmoss or orris root, or whatever else I choose. IFRA studies such things as number of incidents of allergic reaction among the population in general and makes recommendations or rulings on "safe usage levels" as to percentage of the material allowed in the fragrance concentrate (if at all). We non-member niche perfumers try to follow those guidelines, too, as we have no statistics to dispute their findings. Having said that, many perfumers complain that IFRA has grown rabidly cautious in the last ten years or so and runs frightened because their idea is to self-govern to keep the law-makers from stepping in and perhaps exerting even tighter controls.

If I overstep the bounds of IFRA I'm taking a risk that I will run into allergic reactions among my customers. Since I have no statistics to follow, I have no idea how big that risk would be. Having said that, our parents consumed a lot of oakmoss, etc. in fragrances of old, so I suspect the risk is not really that high. In fact, I may come out with a fragrance using real oakmoss, perhaps judiciously mixed 50% with synthetic. This is actually a great advantage that niche perfumers have. We haven't taken an oath to uphold IFRA's rules so have the leeway to reintroduce more of the fragrance notes of yesteryear. One's own conscience as an artisan selling to the public is the only limit-setter, but it's a responsibility I for one take seriously. If you're interested, IFRA has a website. There is some information you can read without being a member. Go to: http://www.ifraorg.org
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Exclamation Re: Mitsouko Lovers will either love me or hate me for this...

According to Luca Turin it's actually tree moss, not oakmoss, that is responsible for most of the allergies.

See the third paragraph:

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...672b2bac9.aspx

----------------------

Many designer and niche houses as well as individual perfumers still use all the oakmoss they need. There is no such thing as synthetic oakmoss.

Last edited by pluran; 18th December 2007 at 07:34 AM.

Dear Minou2 et al,

A very good question. Actually, except for ever more complex European Common Market labeling laws, to my knowledge most all of the 'rules' of what is allowed and what isn't are dictated by IFRA (International Fragrance Association), which is a self-governing body. Since most (or all) small niche houses are not members of IFRA, our usage (or levels of usage) of IFRA restricted substances is on our own shoulders. For instance, I have no one looking over my compounding ready to penalize me for using a ton of oakmoss or orris root, or whatever else I choose. IFRA studies such things as number of incidents of allergic reaction among the population in general and makes recommendations or rulings on "safe usage levels" as to percentage of the material allowed in the fragrance concentrate (if at all). We non-member niche perfumers try to follow those guidelines, too, as we have no statistics to dispute their findings. Having said that, many perfumers complain that IFRA has grown rabidly cautious in the last ten years or so and runs frightened because their idea is to self-govern to keep the law-makers from stepping in and perhaps exerting even tighter controls.

If I overstep the bounds of IFRA I'm taking a risk that I will run into allergic reactions among my customers. Since I have no statistics to follow, I have no idea how big that risk would be. Having said that, our parents consumed a lot of oakmoss, etc. in fragrances of old, so I suspect the risk is not really that high. In fact, I may come out with a fragrance using real oakmoss, perhaps judiciously mixed 50% with synthetic. This is actually a great advantage that niche perfumers have. We haven't taken an oath to uphold IFRA's rules so have the leeway to reintroduce more of the fragrance notes of yesteryear. One's own conscience as an artisan selling to the public is the only limit-setter, but it's a responsibility I for one take seriously. If you're interested, IFRA has a website. There is some information you can read without being a member. Go to: http://www.ifraorg.org

Michael, thank you for taking the time to explain this and for the ifraorg link. It really helps clarify the issue for me. I agree it's a possible opportunity for niche perfumers, which I think is great.

I cannot stand the nanny state world we now live in, where something that causes an allergy is taken out of everything, rather than people being clearly warned, and it being left at that. If it makes you itch, avoid it, use something else. That would be simpler and far less restrictive to everyone not affected. I know this isn't terribly PC of me, but I really have had a gutful of being told not to do this, eat that, touch that, walk there, in case some terrible harm may befall me and the Corporation responsible be sued. Why does everything have to be dumbed down, diluted, cushioned and cocooned? What a boring world this is turning into.
    Bill Cosby

Dear Minou2 et al,
    IFRA (International Fragrance Association), which is a self-governing body....
    If I overstep the bounds of IFRA I'm taking a risk that I will run into allergic reactions among my customers....I may come out with a fragrance using real oakmoss, perhaps judiciously mixed 50% with synthetic.
    Whatever happened to the option of putting a warning label on the perfume that it contains allergens? Would that remove your liability for a reaction?
    I hate to see a 50/50 product when the inclusion of any oakmoss would "violate" the safety requirement. Might as well use the real thing all the way.
    I believe that you are correct in assuming that oakmoss as safe as other ingredients. The IFRA is also trying to regulate citrus, and we peel oranges and lemons every day with our hands. Grocery stores are not frightened of lawsuits because the owners and managers are completely unaware of the "danger" of citrus peels.
    One more issue, and I will drop the natural vs synthetic topic because it can be a hot button for people: allergies are not the only risk with aromachemicals, many chemicals can expose the wearer to other problems, and it is impossible to test everything for every adverse reaction. Hair dye is a case in point, and it is booming in popularity.

Wink Re: Mitsouko Lovers will either love me or hate me for this...

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Whatever happened to the option of putting a warning label on the perfume that it contains allergens? Would that remove your liability for a reaction?
    I hate to see a 50/50 product when the inclusion of any oakmoss would "violate" the safety requirement. Might as well use the real thing all the way.
    I believe that you are correct in assuming that oakmoss as safe as other ingredients. The IFRA is also trying to regulate citrus, and we peel oranges and lemons every day with our hands. Grocery stores are not frightened of lawsuits because the owners and managers are completely unaware of the "danger" of citrus peels.
    One more issue, and I will drop the natural vs synthetic topic because it can be a hot button for people: allergies are not the only risk with aromachemicals, many chemicals can expose the wearer to other problems, and it is impossible to test everything for every adverse reaction. Hair dye is a case in point, and it is booming in popularity.
    It can be a hot button and I want to apologise if my earlier rant about such things offended anyone. Most of the time, I let these things ride over me, but I was having a frustrating day at work and took it out on the perfume industry and the 'nanny' world as a whole. I'm *much* calmer now, and I intend to dye my hair this evening, with a dye that's probably full of very very dangerous chemicals. :-)
    Bill Cosby

Clemmine, no offense taken. None at all.
    I didn't even think of that.
    Hair dye packaging includes clear instructions to test the product on one's skin before using a full application. And none of the manufacturers seems the least bit afraid to sell its products.
    By the way, I tried hair dye, and the peroxide and chemicals caused my scalp to feel like it was on fire. I do not dye my hair.
    But why don't perfumers use the same tactics?
    Clearly label their products as containing all-natural oakmoss and include instructions to skin test first. It seems to keep the hair-dye manufacturers safe from liability, and their sales certainly aren't suffering.

It has been suggested, and seems likely, that there is financial incentive for the large corporations (stares at LVMH) to use synthetics. Of course it sounds better for them to say they are doing it for health and safety reasons.

Don't mind me though, I'm a cynic.

Will continue to "test" Mitsouko on my skin today.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Oh sure, that's the real reason. You bet.
    $$$$$
    That's one reason why I buy perfumes with natural ingredients.
    I want to support agricultural cultivation of perfume ingredients, not chemicals.

Is it still possible to get in on this split? I am most interested!!!

P.S.-
    Ths broad is HOT STUFF.
    And she's NICE...smart.
    [and a great hugger]
    Knows her frags !

Bet you can all guess what I'll be up to tomorrow!

Cheers!

Oh please, report back immediately.

Wow. I haven't checked this thread since the initial excitement and Kyra's kind offer to mastermind the split. So much has happened. Bring on the oakmoss. Yes, Clemmie, I agree, print warnings. I cannot wait to try Un Histoire.

A detail, Ladies, I realize now that Karl and Robert posted the release of this scent online, that my orginal spelling of Une (not Un) is correct.
    Silly me. Sorry.
    here's the link:

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=2238

For the lucky eleven waiting to hear, I don't think anyone will be dissapointed. Very much in the style of the virtually unobtainable Quadrille! Ur Chypre! And because I'm dearly fond of you all- I was able to overcome the temptation to take the most expensive bath of my life and enter a witness protection program.

Blog Entries

Hmmm...whats that I sniff upon the winds from the West?
    Chanakya

Yes indeed...they're quite happy to print warnings on cigarettes and products containing nuts...
    Personally I'm also sick of this nanny state - Britain sucks for that right now.
    My other interest is thrill rides and rollercoasters and the restrictions are getting ridiculous now. I was on holiday in Scandinavia this summer and in Denmark there was one park, aimed at families, that had this huge assault course-style treasure trail, mostly for kids, which was terrific fun. But you wouldn't get that in the UK because of stupid health and safety rules. When I was a kid, if we fell over or hurt ourselves we got a plaster and maybe a sweet to cheer us up, and no one looked for the nearest lawyer. Bah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    For the lucky eleven waiting to hear, I don't think anyone will be dissapointed. Very much in the style of the virtually unobtainable Quadrille! Ur Chypre! And because I'm dearly fond of you all- I was able to overcome the temptation to take the most expensive bath of my life and enter a witness protection program.
    Need more description!
    What are dominant notes?
    Sweet/sour?
    Salty?
    Spicy?
    Dry/wet?
    Woody?
    Ambery?
    Mossy/Musty?
    Say more, dear woman.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 24th December 2007 at 01:42 PM.

I won't hate you!
    And thank you for mentioning the scent, it sounds very interesting. I prefer the newer Mitsouko but i respect the older one too.

Wow, that Kyra is FAAAASSSSST. I mean that in the best possible way, too. :-)

My Ur Chypre arrived back here on the East Coast today! It is very potent, and very high quality. Lucky for me, the galbanum is a bit too much for me, so it will NOT replace Mitsouko in my affections (and will save me from pining further after a 'fume that is a very expensive limited edition, to boot -- that's the lucky part!)

I will wear it and love it, but this split will be enough for me.

Thanks so much for doing all the hack work, Kyra!!!

Blog Entries

my mailman won't be here till 4:30PM - and since rural delivery is sloooooooowwww - I prolly won't get my package till next week.
    Chanakya

I so excited also, Rubele...
    It CAME !
    ME LIKEY !
    I'm a galbanum fool, what can I say.

Kyra ROCKS in a SOCK !

[BTW- Rubes- you and I should TALK about being fast....hehehe]

Blog Entries

Update - mailman arrived at 4:05 bearing a package!!!
    Thank you Kyra for the careful packaging, and the lovely presentation too.

(And to Renee - for getting us hooked into this in the first place)

Oh this is lush! Will now be silent and appreciate the scent wafting around me .
    Chanakya

Yes, my package awaited me after a hard work day. Oh, what delight! I cannot seem to pry my nose from my wrist! Kyra, thank you so very much for your hard work and difficult math! I am so happy!

Whoa....amazing consistency from the USPS!!

Blog Entries

The Force was with us today
    Chanakya

Mine arrived today also, carefully packaged. Thank you Kyra. I hope that the recipients will post impressions to this thread. I hope you are as impressed as I was at first sniff. It's quite a beauty.

+ 1 arrived home to find a devastatingly nice USPS box from Kyra... you rock in a sock, indeed, though I'm not sure what that means.

Will definitely post impressions once I have conducted a proper wearing.

And thank you Renee, for getting this rolling, and Mia (where are you?) for signing me up.