Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mitsouko Lovers will either love me or hate me for this...

And yes, my lovely cohorts, I will be catching up on PMs and feedback as soon as I have a nice block of time. Still have only barely tested the new juice.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

I'm dithering about here in the UK with our crap postal service. I've decided mine will come some time in the middle of January. That way, I may have a surprise bonus if it comes a bit earlier. :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

GOT IT! And some other lovely samples,
    Thank you so very much, Kyra.
    Since I am already covered in Montale Blue Amber, I will have to wait until tomorrow.
    But I will open the vial for a preliminary sniff.
    O.K.
    My first impression (on paper) was a lovely blast of green, unsweet galbanum, followed by a sweeter, earthier combination of iris and...
    Wait a minute. There was no iris mentioned in the pyramid Roberto gave you.
    The reason? That pyramid was wrong. There are many notes omitted. ( I suspected something was amiss because galbanum is never a base note.)
    Here is the corrected pyramid:
    Top: bergamot, mandarin, neroli, jasmine, galbanum
    Middle: jasmine, rose, osmanthus, iris
    Base: patchouli, oakmoss, must, amber
    Last edited by purplebird7; 30th December 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks, Purplebird. I was getting blasted out by the opening Galbanum (not generally a fan) and couldn't figure out why the Aedes site said galbanum in the base. I was wondering if my nose was losing its mind. :-) Glad to read your assessment, which reassures my nose mightily. ;-)

Oh lord, Purplebird! Now I can't wait!
    Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

Am testing it today, thank you Purplebird for your correction to the notes. My nose it not yet sophisticated enough to identify galbanum ( I will have to visit a perfumer friend and sniff it separately I think) - I can pick out floral notes - I'm assuming that the galbanum is the somewhat earthy and at the same time sharp notes this opens with - I smell no rose at all during the drydown - which is interesting since rose is a note I am most attuned to - the iris is clearly there, as is the jasmine - but the notes keep floating in and out.

This frag though by Molinard - keeps teasing me with similarities to several Guerlains, but nothing like the opening of Mitsouko, it is neither as fruity nor as spicy - will do a left arm/right arm test against them during the weeks to come. It does not have the sillage I expected - it's staying quite close - which is also okay- I don't have to have sillage.

I do not dislike it - it is complex and interesting - and fits into the range of scents I find pleasing, but I'm happy we did this as a split - unless something changes radically over several wearings I doubt if I would need a full bottle, it does not offer anything that I am lacking, though I wouldn't mind having a full bottle if it were one third the price.

Gave my arms to DH to sniff - he said "it's okay". Didn't either like or dislike, though he added as I walked away that he thought it was a bit too floral - which is odd - since he likes other florals on me. He doesn't love Mitsouko either.

I've had it on for about 6 hours now - it isn't fading, but the amber/oaknoss is winning out - don't know where the patchouli is.

Sorry, this is the best that I can do at this point in my describing of scents. Look forward to hearing how the rest of you experience this
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Un Historie de Chypre is truly an old-school chypre, and a welcome relief from the new chypres, many of which distort and cheapen the genre (with the exception of those such as Agent Provocateur and Narciso Rodriguez for Her.)
    It is a deep, fruity, slightly herbal, mossy, gorgeous scent, but...
    Why did Molinard feel compelled to recreate Diorella?
    I have them on side-by-side.
    The similarity is remarkable.
    Please do not think of me as unappreciative. I am glad to have this sample of Une Histoire de Chypre, and I will wear it and enjoy it. However, I do prefer the Diorella.
    I do not think it smells like Mitsouko because it lacks the dry, resionous wood.
    Rather, it is moist, sweet/sour citrusy, and has a slight herbal undertone that speaks of O de Lancome.
    The overall feeling is golden, like a real Chypre. My favorite part is the osmanthus note, which gives it a strong peachy aroma. However, that very same note is to blame for its resemblance to the other perfume.
    If I had never smelled Diorella, I would go out and buy this.
    Is that an endorsement?
    Qualified, yes.
    Is it FBW?
    Not with Diorella around.
    I wish Molinard had aimed for emulating Chypre de Coty instead.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 31st December 2007 at 08:34 PM.

My beautiful and generously packaged box of goodies arrived today.

::spritzes::

::smiles an unearthly smile::

::faints::

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Why did Molinard feel compelled to recreate Diorella?
    I have them on side-by-side.
    The similarity is remarkable.
    (snip)
    If I had never smelled Diorella, I would go out and buy this.
    Is that an endorsement?
    Qualified, yes.
    Is it FBW?
    Not with Diorella around.
    I wish Molinard had aimed for emulating Chypre de Coty instead.
    Since the directory is down - I did a search for Diorella, looks interesting , and available - I only see an EdT though - Purplebird do you have the perfume?
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I have a sample, unknown concentration.
    Diorella is really beautiful. When I say Une Histoire de Chypre resembles it, I am paying the new fragrance a high compliment.
    My only disappointment is that we already have Diorella, so why replace it, when we don't have Chypre de Coty anymore.

Blog Entries

Thanks Purplebird! Was confused at first - cause I have only sniffed Dioressence, which my mom wore sometimes - and the names are kind of similar. Will put Diorella on my "to test" list.
    Chanakya

I have spent the day in Mitsouko and this evening decided to give Une Histoire de Chypre a bit of a test, weeks after my initial swooning over it.

this is elegant and classy to my nose.
    rather salty and warm.
    green opening. as a lover of no.19, I like green.
    definitely a fragrance for "going out."
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

It arrived! Along with loads of fabuous samples (thank you!). I haven't had a chance to sample it properly yet. I've been swept up in family dramas I could seriously do without. But those delicious little bottles are all winking at me from across the room. Whee!
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, by the way, I had a sniff of Diorella at lunchtime today and I thought it was FAB. I'm going to sample it proper-like when all the stupid January sales crowds have crawled back into their holes. Flaming madness in town today.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 2nd January 2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    ...I had a sniff of Diorella at lunchtime today...
    So, do you agree with me that there is a strong similarity between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    So, do you agree with me that there is a strong similarity between the two?
    Based on a brief whiff of Diorella, and a day of wearing Un Histoire de Chypre, I couldn't possibly say. I'd have to wear the two side by side to know for sure. I wore Un Histoire de Chypre today, and I'm rather sad to say that it didn't impress me even remotely. I'd even go so far as to say that had I sampled this in a department store, it would have fallen into the category of 'instantly forgettable and not worth buying'. But I'm learning every day, and I don't regret for a moment trying this one out. And the one thing I have learned from getting in on the split is that Mitsouko in EDP formulation is infinitely better than the rancid EDT I have taking up room on my dressing table.

Anyway, I am going to go and try Diorella on my skin when the post-holiday madness is done with, and if I can remember to have the bottle of Un Histoire de Chypre with me when I do that, I'll compare them side by side and let you know. I have a feeling I already know which of the two I'm going to prefer.
    Bill Cosby

I am only a couple hours into my first wearing so will hold off on a detailed review, but here are the comments I have received so far:

Female co-worker (who always hugs me and takes a sniff) "You smell fantastic!"
    Male co-worker 1: What's that smell in here?
    Male co-worker 2: Smells like sex!

I am very happy so far.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I am only a couple hours into my first wearing so will hold off on a detailed review, but here are the comments I have received so far:

Female co-worker (who always hugs me and takes a sniff) "You smell fantastic!"
    Male co-worker 1: What's that smell in here?

I am very happy so far.
    Holy moly! I'd better give it another try.

(Although, the last time a male co-worker said 'what's that smell in here' to me, I was wearing Ambre Sultan, and his nose was wrinkled up like he'd just found a skunk lurking under his desk)

I wasn't impressed with it at all. I've decided classic chypres and my skin probably don't work well together. This one just struck me as old-fashioned and generic. I'm a philistine. It's time I just faced facts.
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post

Mercy! ::looks at prices for full bottle::

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Blog Entries

Oh dear - I keep going back and spritzing from this green bottle

My SotD wore off and I said oh well ...let's just try UHdC again....BIG Mistake...
    I'm liking this more third wearing. ARGH! A hex on Renee and Kyra. The drydown is haunting me.
    I can't afford this ...how many soda bottles do I have to turn in at the supermarket to afford this ...

Purplebird - where can I get some Diorella? HELP!
    Chanakya