Code of Conduct

Default Online Shopping from Canada

I've been browsing through all the online shopping guides on these forums, but haven't quite found one that meets my needs. Where do all the Canadians prefer for buying?

It seems like all the big online sellers either don't offer international shipping (Scentiments), don't charge flat rates for Canada (Beautiful Perfumes), or are limited in stock. I notice Scented Monkey gives international buyers a toll-free number to call but don't list rates - anyone know off-hand if they use flat-rates?

I placed an order at Fragrancex which is probably being sampled at customs as I type (ha), and while I was pretty happy with the order, they didn't have some of the things I was looking for. I've had my eye on Sephora too (I'm in Ottawa and there's no physical store), but I'm pretty new to the fragrance world and really love to try samples and minis before making the full-bottle purchase, which Sephora doesn't have much of.

Any recommendations for fairly priced sites that ship to Canada, with a good selection of minis and samples (and thus don't charge shipping per item)?

Thanks!

Default Re: Online Shopping from Canada

I'm with you on this one. Whereas there are a lot of small boutiques here (I'm in Toronto), I haven't found any sources for online shopping based in Canada. This is a bummer because there are some really excellent deals online, but after shipping costs, not so much. For example, I recently found online a hard to find scent for $40. After shipping costs, it came to around $60. No thanks.

Let's keep our eyes peeled and we'll see what we can come up with.

Good luck!
    You are not your perfume.

I've always liked fragrancenet.com. Ordered 5-6 times from them and got through customs just fine and no import duties. Prices aren't bad either considering all the coupons they have.
    --------------------------------------
    Also keep your eyes out for Wal-mart lol. May not sound appetizing but they have Kouros, Opium ph, and Rive Gauche all for under $30.
    Last edited by lasta; 21st December 2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver is EXCELLENT to deal with. Nazrine is the BEST. She is so helpful and I have never had a problem with online/telephone orders. She carries rare and niche scents unavailable to most Canadians otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by chanellove View Post
    The Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver is EXCELLENT to deal with. Nazrine is the BEST. She is so helpful and I have never had a problem with online/telephone orders. She carries rare and niche scents unavailable to most Canadians otherwise.
    Terrible prices, Creed MI for 75 mL is 175$!!! As to the thread starter, I'm in the same boat as you. However, I've found that if you look for sites that match cologne prices, as well as have international shipping, you can match Scentiment prices and receive the best price, and still get it delivered.

Edit: Actually I just remembered ScentMonkey has a price match guarantee, just call them and find out the shipping fee, and then use the price match guarantee on a cologne/perfume that Scentiments has and there you go
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 26th January 2008 at 02:49 AM.

Cool Re: Online Shopping from Canada

I'm in Ottawa and usually buy from Scentiment at Bayshore because it is the only place that I can get Paul Smith colognes. The prices are high ($70 for a 1.7 oz edt of Paul Smith London) but what can one do about it?

It is a shame that there are no online big sellers like in the U.S.

You'd think somebody in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver would have a go at establishing one.

I'm tempted by Fragrancenet and some of the other U.S. sellers who do ship to Canada, but I don't want to be hit with brokerage fees.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceSilver View Post
    Terrible prices, Creed MI for 75 mL is 175$!!!
    Don't think she carries Creed?

I find The Perfume Shoppe's prices to be great, based on being cheaper than most American sites by $5-10, and then winning out on exchange to boot. For instance the i Profumi di Firenze stuff goes for $100/50ml in the States. She has it for $90 CDN. Keeping in mind that this is not a bulk discount seller like the ones selling 4oz bottles of Creed for under $150, I think that's pretty decent.

I've also ordered from Fragrancenet and Fragrancex (after reading positive reviews here), and recommend them. Especially the former, who seems to have a drop shipping warehouse in Ontario.

I recently ordered a bottle of Anvers 2 from Masc. Free shipping over $100, came cross country in under a week, and loaded with free samples. They don't have a large selection, but I haven't seen Ulrich Lang this side of the border elsewhere. Worth checking out if you're after that or Encre Noir.
    Last edited by derekp; 3rd November 2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: error in URL

Question Re: Online Shopping from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    I recently ordered a bottle of Anvers 2 from Masc. Free shipping over $100, came cross country in under a week, and loaded with free samples. They don't have a large selection, but I haven't seen Ulrich Lang this side of the border elsewhere. Worth checking out if you're after that or Encre Noir.
    I understand why you would purchase Anvers 2 from there as it is not available through any online discounters to my knowledge. But, to recommend that people purchase Encre Noire from this website is absouletly ludacris. You do realize that 100ml bottles of Encre Noire are available through online discounters for under $50 US (while MASC is charging $119 for the 100ml and $89 for the 50ml) and just for reference Fragrancenet has Encre Noire for $39 (50ml). My apologies if you were not aware of this but I just don't want to see people spending money when you will end up saving close to 50% with some of the online discounters.

In regards to all this undeserved praise (IMHO) I would like to comment on The Perfume Shoppe if I may. I attempted to get in touch with this Nazine person who everyone speaks so highly of but unfortunately my results were nothing but disappointing as when I inquired numerous times through their website contact form and via email about ordering but I never received a response. It may sound silly to you, but I find this to be absolutely terrible customer service (and I've waited over 1 month for a response).

I would love to support business within my own country, but unfortunately all the shops here either have ridiculous pricing compared to American companies (even with shipping and exchange factored in), or seemingly poor customer service. In my experience I have had great service from Aedes, Fragrancenet, and Beautyencounter. I highly recommend Aedes, as they understand how to run a proper business IMO, and I will continue to do my shopping there and will proudly recommend them to my fellow Canadians!

Naz, to me anyway, seems a bit "old fashioned"...she is extremely nice and means well, but the email communication is a bit tardy. That said, if you call her, she'll definitely help you get whatever it is you want....although if you're like me, you may not like having to phone.

ps - Ulrich Lang was once sold at Holt Renfew...but no longer. Good choice on the Anvers 2...beautiful scent.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    I understand why you would purchase Anvers 2 from there as it is not available through any online discounters to my knowledge. But, to recommend that people purchase Encre Noire from this website is absouletly ludacris. You do realize that 100ml bottles of Encre Noire are available through online discounters for under $50 US (while MASC is charging $119 for the 100ml and $89 for the 50ml) and just for reference Fragrancenet has Encre Noire for $39 (50ml). My apologies if you were not aware of this but I just don't want to see people spending money when you will end up saving close to 50% with some of the online discounters.
    Absolutely! I was merely saying that their selection is limited, and the other scent they had that interested me was EN. In fact, I found Masc by comparison shopping vs Aedes.

As for The Perfume Shoppe, I can't yet comment, but I would start with calling. I will be in the near future, as they carry the i Profumi Firenze line, but do not yet have the particular scent I'm interested in up on their website yet. I concur that it's a shame when companies are more lax with email correspondence for what it's worth.

The shipping takes too much time to Canada. It usually takes 2 weeks for the order to come here. So if you can recomend something it will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfragrance View Post
    The shipping takes too much time to Canada. It usually takes 2 weeks for the order to come here. So if you can recomend something it will be appreciated.
    Enchante Perfume They are out of Toronto, if I am not mistaken. I have used them and liked my experience. Shipping was one week.

^ Quite a nice store too. They're in the TD Bank Tower, and usually have testers for almost everything they sell (not common for that type of store). Prices are a smidge high, but they have things you won't find anywhere else in the city.

Splash Bottles Suck

Since the issue of import duties and taxes has been mentioned here, I'd be grateful if any other Canadians could share any experience buying from TPC. I recently ordered a decant from there, and because it is valued at less than $20 CDN, it should get through fine - I'm wary though about the costs I would incur with larger orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    Since the issue of import duties and taxes has been mentioned here, I'd be grateful if any other Canadians could share any experience buying from TPC. I recently ordered a decant from there, and because it is valued at less than $20 CDN, it should get through fine - I'm wary though about the costs I would incur with larger orders.
    My last order from TPC was valued at over $50 USD and I never got charged any extra costs.

I've never had a customs charge on a tpc order.

I've gone close to $100 several times and never got charged. The important thing when ordering from the States (this doesn't pertain to TPC) is that you never choose UPS, if you have a say in the matter. Just got stung for $43 in brokerage fees on a $75 purchase. Thanks for turning $9.75 in taxes to a much rounder number, UPS.

Splash Bottles Suck

Awesome, thanks everyone!

I had been under the impression that Canadians could not order form the TPC ...Hmmmm. I was wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I had been under the impression that Canadians could not order form the TPC ...Hmmmm. I was wrong ?
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/shipping.aspx

$6 shipping.

Thumbs up Re: Online Shopping from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Thanks for the info sofresh. I have never tried them, but there are several fragrances I want to try ( that I cannot get from my usual decant hookup(s) )

So far the only online place I've tried is FragranceX. I had a bit of hassle with their gift certificate system, but a few phone calls worked that out. I've been pleased with their prices, which you have to keep an eye on, as they change daily (and multiple times during the day), but the main selling point for me being in Canada is their free worldwide shipping. I've made seven different purchases now, and I love the notion of seeing the price on the main ordering page, and after going through tax and shipping and all that jazz, the final price remains exactly the same. Most expensive bundle I put together was under $100, and I've never had any issues as the border.

In terms of shipping and extra fees, I cannot stress enough to avoid UPS. I'm at a point where I simply won't buy something online if UPS is their only shipping method. I've found it odd that only that one company ever seems to have to deal with all these extra fees to get something to me, but Purolator and DHL have never had such troubles.

In any case, I'll give fragrancex my seal of approval, and though the selection is clearly spontaneous and a total crapshoot, I've gotten some great deals off of the selling forum on this site as well.

I shopped from these in Canada:
    The Perfume Shoppe
    Enchante Perfume
    The French Perfume Factory

and from the U.S:
    Fragrancenet
    FragranceX

Never had any extra expenses with Fragrancenet and FragranceX such as duties and customs. Always delivered within 7-10 business days.
    Nothing old or broken. Will definitely shop there again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A NOTE ABOUT THE FOLLOWING:

Aedes

5. Can my order be shipped outside North America?

At this point, we can only deliver within the United States.

Due to recent difficulties with Canadian customs we cannot accept orders to Canada. Fragrances are considered hazardous goods and we are not able to ship outside of the United States at this moment.

Beauty Encounter

International Shipments
    We ship to more than 30 international destinations via worldwide. Our preferred carriers are UPS and the US Postal Service. Orders shipped to Canada will arrive by UPS if it contains perfumery products or alcohol-related items. Once the package reaches your country it will be processed and handled by the foreign Customs for appropriate clearance. Your package will be delivered by the partnering local Post Office or UPS.

PLEASE NOTE: Shipping charges do not include taxes or duties. We recommend that you contact your local customs office to request the details of these charges. If you decide to refuse any shipments from BeautyEncounter.com, you are responsible for the original shipping costs to you, any duties, taxes and/or customs charges that are incurred on the package, and the cost of returning the package to BeautyEncounter.com. This amount will be subtracted from your merchandise refund. BeautyEncounter.com has made every effort to minimize the shipping costs and does not profit from these rates. We are required by law to disclose the full value of the package contents and cannot alter this value. If you have any shipping and handling questions or comments please contact us.

avoid beautyencounter at all costs if your shipping address is in Canada as they refuse to use anything BUT UPS! which means you will end up paying at least 40$ in brokerage fees plus the taxes depending on the amount they declare, AND NO, they will not lower the declared value for you!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    avoid beautyencounter at all costs if your shipping address is in Canada as they refuse to use anything BUT UPS! which means you will end up paying at least 40$ in brokerage fees plus the taxes depending on the amount they declare, AND NO, they will not lower the declared value for you!
    Wow, that sucks.

try http://www.fendrihan.com they sell colognes and aftershaves. and if you order like $100 and above, the shipping is free. Their store is located in Ontario.

I like Fragrancenet.com, good selection. I agree.
    The last few times I tried PerfumeDeal.com as they seems to have better prices.
    I am always receiving the packages with Canada Post without paying any duties or taxes. (as mentioned on the website).

I just had a positive experience ordering a Travelo travel spray bottle from Fragrancenet, shipped to Ontario. I'll likely be making some cologne orders from them in the future.
    Current lineup: YSL Opium pH, YSL Rive Gauche pH, Burberry Brit, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, Animale Animale for Men

I ordered from beauty encounter twice this year(roughly 140$ each order) and all parcels arrived via USPS ground and I didn't get hit with any customs/duty charges. I know early last year2009 it was delivered via UPS and I paid customs/duty.

Quote Originally Posted by alice2010 View Post
    I like Fragrancenet.com, good selection. I agree.
    The last few times I tried PerfumeDeal.com as they seems to have better prices.
    I am always receiving the packages with Canada Post without paying any duties or taxes. (as mentioned on the website).
    I agree.

You have to read the fine print and see if the customs are included in the shipping and handling charges. If not, you could be in for a major surprise, like about 30% of the value of your purchase.

The only beef I have with FragranceNet is that if you click through on one of those innocent-looking "save on your next purchase" links after completing your purchase, FragranceNet will forward your credit card info to a third-party scam operation that will dock your credit card $12 every month and give you nothing in return.

Last week, I placed a sample order from www.perfumeniche.com, based out of Toronto. They don't have a large inventory, but it is growing. (I am not affiliated with this company BTW). They do not sell bottles, just samples.

http://www.perfumeniche.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gourmand View Post
    Wow, that sucks.
    I have purchased a Caron Pour un Homme gift set, fragrance+deodorant. It was last summer I had no brokerage fee to pay because the product was shipped to Canada.

I'm waiting for another other that it suppose to arrive by the end of this week...

Oh and the actual shipping method to Canada is USPS not UPS.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

Can anyone provide an updated summary of the viable online shopping options for Canada?

I am guessing that some of the material in this thread is not current...

Quote Originally Posted by delamain View Post
    Can anyone provide an updated summary of the viable online shopping options for Canada?

I am guessing that some of the material in this thread is not current...
    Last weak I ordered from http://1001fragrance.ca/. The perfume was fine and I recieved it the very next day( they are in Toronto and I live in Hamilton). Hope I helped

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator View Post
    I have purchased a Caron Pour un Homme gift set, fragrance+deodorant. It was last summer I had no brokerage fee to pay because the product was shipped to Canada.

I'm waiting for another other that it suppose to arrive by the end of this week...

Oh and the actual shipping method to Canada is USPS not UPS.

we're still talking about the same site here right ? here is the shipping info from beautyencounter:

http://www.beautyencounter.com/shipping scroll down and read "International Shipments"

I forgot to tell you that this guys from 1001fragrance have free shipping and 10% off

1001fragrances.ca has nothing I want in stock. I suppose they would be fine, otherwise. Thanks all the same.

Have you tried PerfumeParadise.ca they specialize in the hard to find and discontinued fragrances
    Freelancer - Social Media Ninja - GFX Design Enthusiast - Web Design Junkie - Coding Noob - Your Very Own Techie!

check fragrancebuy.ca, or email them if you don't see what you want on the site
    Quote Originally Posted by delamain View Post
    1001fragrances.ca has nothing I want in stock. I suppose they would be fine, otherwise. Thanks all the same.