Code of Conduct

Default Attrape-Coer, Another Great Guerlain Peach

This post is for Riannon and Tao Lady because it concerns Guerlain Guet Apens/Attrape-Coeur, which I am trying today because a delightful sample was passed like a torch from one to the other of them and then a sample was sent to me.
    My question is, who else has tried this, and what you they think?
    Personally, I love all Guerlain peaches.
    This "trap for the heart" is a sweet, sticky kiss from the lips of a candy-eating child. It is warmer and sweeter than many Guerlain fragrances, blanket-like and eveloping, almost confectionary. It reminds me of Caron Aimez Moi, only the licorice has been replaced with a pronounced vanilla and a smooth peach. At the base is a perfecty balanced civit note that gives it an animalic edge. I don't think it resembles Mitsouko much; that woody, classic beauty is reserved, austere, and aloof, while this one is sweet and cozy. It does share the glorious powdery peach of Nahema, the best feature of that fragrance. But Guet Apens never focuses on the rose. Rather, it offers a great deal of greenness that is apparent in the violet and iris notes. Guerlain does such amazing things with peach. Although it does not replace Mitsouko or Nahema, it is well worth one's time to experience its warmth and complexity.
    I feel totally selfish keeping this sample, so I will offer it to anyone who will promise to send it to someone else, etcetra, and post reviews. Answer soon, or I am likely to quickly use up the last milliliter.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th December 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Default Re: Attrape-Coer, Another Great Guerlain Peach

I must say you are making this sound luscious and very appealing. I would love to sample this and promise to pass it on.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Purplebird, if you want to enjoy the last drops, I can send a sample to Renee- I've got a bottle. And it is indeed a peachy wonder and by all means different enough from Mitsouko so that I don't need to even try to justify owning both. FWIW, I just compared it to Vol de Nuit Evasion (thanks to Dimples) and to me they have a great deal in common.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Thank you for your post, dear Bird.

The amazing thing is: I dislike violet and iris notes :rolleyesold

And yet: I love Guet Apens. Love it very much indeed from the moment it was released.
    I tested it side by side with the reissue Attrape-Coeur and I think the only difference in the topnotes is caused by the fact that the bottle of Guet Apens has matured a bit over the years. Which is not at bad thing at all in this case.

So much for the wonders of bodychemistry.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

An interesting observation :
    I have both the original Guet-Apens, and a 1990's release of Cologne #68-
    They have remarkable similarities.
    I love them dearly for what they are- sublime comfort, unctuous floral beauty, oriental/floral/woody/ balsamic warmth.

Purplebird, I have taken Kyra up on her offer...
    again, thank you for the wonderful description of Guet Apens. I'll post some impressions to this thread once I sample.

Renee
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Oh, thanks Kyra.
    Heh, now I can be greedy.
    The thing that amazed me was my first impression that this Guerlain smelled more like a Caron than a Guerlain. (I do not mean all Carons compared to all Guerlains.) But most Guerlains are more transparent. This one is creamy to the maximum, like comfort food, like pudding. It's not your typical Guerlain.
    Aimez Moi was issued in 1995. Guet Apens was reformulated in 1999. In 2005 it was added permanently to the exclusive Champs Elysées line as Attrape-Coeur.
    Tao Lady, is this the 1999 version?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Guet Apens was reformulated in 1999. In 2005 it was added permanently to the exclusive Champs Elysées line as Attrape-Coeur.
    Tao Lady, is this the 1999 version?
    Since Tao got her decant from me, I think I better answer this question.
    As far as I know Guet Apens was issued as a limited edition in 1999. It was not a reformulation. Attrape-Coeur was the reissue, but not reformulation, of Guet Apens.
    What Taolady got came from the original cobalt blue bottle from 1999.

Guet Apens was made in 99 by Mathilde Laurent, then reformulated (only slightly) by JP Guerlain and re-released in 05 as Attrape Coeur.

They are, in fact, very very similar, and I wouldn't be able to tell which was which if you didn't tell me, but there are some slight differences.

I find the peach note to be too much...I took was a lucky recipient of a sample from our generous Dimples, and too saw the similarities with Vol de Nuit Evasion...mostly in the peachiness. The combo with it and the amber was over the top, and too cloying for me. I can see its beauty, but I don't want to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Guet Apens was made in 99 by Mathilde Laurent, then reformulated (only slightly) by JP Guerlain and re-released in 05 as Attrape Coeur.

They are, in fact, very very similar, and I wouldn't be able to tell which was which if you didn't tell me, but there are some slight differences.
    Lord, am I glad that you say that the Attrape-Coeur is slightly reformulated!! Since they assured me they used exactly the same formula, I always blamed the 'older age' of the Guet Apens fragrance for the indeed very light difference I kept smelling.

Sooo, JP Guerlain just had to tamper with one of Mathilde's beauties again, hmmm?

I was very lucky to be sent samples of both Guet-Apens and Attrape Coeur recently by Dimples, along with the Vol de Nuit Evasion I was asking for opinions of a while back. Dimples - a thousand thanks, you generous lady!

Dimples felt that VDN Evasion, with its whopping dose of Guerlain peach, was closer to Guet-Apens and Attrape Coeur than the original VDN. I'm not a very good nose, but even I could smell the big whack of Mitsouko peaches in the VDNE. And it was only that which enabled me to smell a tiny bit of peach in Guet-Apens and Attrape Coeur, which I tested side-by-side last night for the first time.

Mainly, I get enormous rich vanillas, possibly even a bit boozy (though that might be because I read about Spiriteuse Double Vanilla yesterday). I find it mouthwatering and greedy; in the middle some other complexities come in for me, woods and resins, maybe a touch of amber? and I can stretch myself to just smell a bit of peach having seen it described here. The drydown is a sumptuous, creamy vanilla that really does make you want to nibble yourself.

Two things came to mind: one was the J'Adore advert with Charlize Theron dressed in that long slinky golden-vanilla dress, stalking through those formal apartments and tearing her clothes off; the other was something Luca Turin said about the difference between Carons and Guerlains. He said something along the lines that 'proper' French Ladies wore Caron perfume, courtesans wore Guerlain because it made them smell edible. I just saw the impact this fragrance would make on a man. Far more alluring and sensuous than a full-blown oriental - this would make a man want to eat you, not worship you. It's probably what Nigella Lawson smells like.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 13th December 2007 at 11:41 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    Lord, am I glad that you say that the Attrape-Coeur is slightly reformulated!! Since they assured me they used exactly the same formula, I always blamed the 'older age' of the Guet Apens fragrance for the indeed very light difference I kept smelling.

Sooo, JP Guerlain just had to tamper with one of Mathilde's beauties again, hmmm?
    Exactly...why they insist on "optimizing" things is beyond me...Laurent is extremely talented and her (his?) work should be left as is. I realize that sort of contradicts my personal views on the GA, but its clear that its a brilliantly crafted scent, even if its not for me.

I agree on Riannon's and Wordbird's points:
    1. Guerlain should not have messed with Guet Apens.
    2. There is a boozy note in the vanilla.
    Gotta run to work now, cya8r.

I have a slightly off-thread question but it's important to me.
    Did they ever produce Guet-Apens in a 93ml refill for the golden Guerlain cannister things?

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I have a slightly off-thread question but it's important to me.
    Did they ever produce Guet-Apens in a 93ml refill for the golden Guerlain cannister things?
    Ah, you also found that one on eBay. I wondered as well.

I am almost certain that Guet-Apens was only available in the limited blue splash bottles, BUT maybe they made this for airports (I have seen stranger things) or for export to countries in the Middle-East.

I even can't imagine it is a bottle of Attrape-Coeur. And when I look at the bidding......
    I would be cautious.

I will PM you the phonenumber of Guerlain, Champs Elysees, since there is not much time left to bid. I hope the shop is still open They should be able to tell you.
    Last edited by Riannon; 13th December 2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Too much in a hurry :)

I first applied the Attrape-Coer approx 7 hours ago. The first 2 or 3 hours were too sweet and peachy for my usual tastes, though the duskiness rounded it off nicely. Seven hours later it has settled into a lovely mellowness, and my nose smells amber.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Attrape-Couer is registering sweeter and deeper to me on my left wrist than is the Guet-Apens on my right wrist. Perhaps they transistion at different speeds (I'm a few hours into testing)? A-C having arrived at its base notes ahead of G-A, which retains its peachiness.

I plan to try all the combinations of comparison between these two and the Evasion. What a fabulous experience to be given. Thanks again, great dimpled one!

Oh, yes, do tell, Quarry.
    Which one of the three is best?
    Or Peachiest? Amberiest? Most animalic?
    Hopefully, it won't be the discontinued fragrance...
    Alas, we at Basenotes often find our tastes often leave the mainstream, and we consider that the most "popular" version is the least distinctive.

My tuppence-worth is that the Evasion is very very peachy, much more so than the others.
    But I'm not a great nose, as everyone here knows...
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th December 2007 at 02:25 PM.