Code of Conduct

Default Difference between EDP and EDT, not just strength?

If I understand correctly, EDPs are more concentrated than EDTs, but is there a difference in the way the scent is perceived as well?

I'm interested to know because I would like to buy a bottle of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, and want to know if the EDP is even better than the EDT which I looooooove!

Default Re: Difference between EDP and EDT, not just strength?

EDPs are more concentrated and are also often different formulations. Usually they are very recognisable as being the same scent but with different emphasis. They usually last longer than EDTs - that is the point of them really, it seems they often have a less diffusive opening, they may have less of an impact at first. So they usually have great longevity and slower development but may have less sillage (scent left in the air), especially at the beginning. .

This varies from perfume to perfume though. Opium Pour Homme EDP is not short on sillage.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    If I understand correctly, EDPs are more concentrated than EDTs, but is there a difference in the way the scent is perceived as well?

I'm interested to know because I would like to buy a bottle of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, and want to know if the EDP is even better than the EDT which I looooooove!
    In this specific case, yes, the two scents are different and have different formulas. (But they smell very very close)

But in general, most scents only differ in concentration.

One is a fruity chypre (EDT) and the other is a floral chypre (EDP).

I prefer the EdT , but that's just me.

cheers

Many times they have different formulas. I'm most familiar with Habit Rouge which is has agarwood in EDP but not in EDT or EDC. The EDC is different from the EDT but the addition of agarwood in the EDP makes it a different beast.

FWIW, my wife absolutely loves Coco Mademoiselle EDP ... the EDT not as much (I wish I had more of an explanation for you.)
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I prefer EDP as I like a stronger concentration, and the sillage is much, much better.

Off-Scenter

Much depends on which scent you're talking about. In some cases the formulation does differ between EdT and EdP. Meanwhile, in other scents the formulation may not change, but your perception of the scent very well may. Less volatile or less concentrated notes in an EdT are sometimes more apparent at higher concentration. Though I'm far from certain, I suspect this is the case with Jaipur Homme and Jicky.

Agree with everybody above...usually the frags smell very, very similar and the main difference is the sillage....however, there are some that do smell different so you might want to try before you buy.

Indeed, it's good that you asked *before* you purchased. Cristalle (by Chanel) is one that I was fooled by. The EdT is not the same formula as the EdP. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I checked on Basenotes to verify that something was different with the EdP, that I found out that they are truly different formulations.

OH WELL.

(Some people say they smell the same, but I personally think EdP is much more floral, and not nearly as sharp as the EdT, which is weird, cuz you'd think it'd be the other way around.)