Code of Conduct

Thread: I'm Pissed

Default I'm Pissed

Just tried Clair de Musc in a sample sent by luckyscent with the purchase of some Ambre Sultan.

I'd been expecting sultriness in a bottle -- what I got instead was Jovan Musk Oil with a hint of Alyssa Ashley.

Don't get me wrong -- I like both those cheap frags -- I had just expected something more from Lutens.

Perhaps I'm just an uncouth boor to not see something here that makes this stuff worth the Lutens price tag.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th December 2007 at 02:34 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: I'm Pissed

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Just tried Clair de Musc in a sample sent by luckyscent with the purchase of some Ambre Sultan.

I'd been expecting sultriness in a bottle -- what I got instead was Jovan Musk Oil with a hint of Alyssa Ashley.

Don't get me wrong -- I like both those cheap frags -- I had just expected something more from Lutens.

Perhaps I'm just an uncouth boor to not see something here that makes this stuff worth the Lutens price tag.
    A lot of people have a hard time seeing the beauty in CdM...I totally agree that its extremely similar to other "white musks", but I really noticed the hidden depth when I tried it side-by-side with one of them (specifically, TBS's White Musk). Its not groundbreaking, but I quite like it.

Either way...don't be pissed! You can't love everything he does! :bounce:

I'm a Clair de Musc lover, and it totally took me by surprise because I'm not a big fan of many white musks. What I like is that it does seem to have that little something more. But "sultriness" is not a word I'd associate with it, so if that's what you're aiming for I'm sure CdM won't satisfy.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

White Musk by Medicea Terre D'Orient that Beautyhabit and Luckyscent used to sell is made from the white musk rose, that is beautiful! They still sell it in Italy, but I can't find it in the US. I don't know what SL uses.
    Last edited by beachroses; 15th January 2008 at 04:41 AM.

I prefer musks with more raw, animal sensuality and carnality of which white musk scents seem to be the antithesis. Clair de Musc strikes me as a clean, prettty white musk that excels as a fresh, subtle skin scent. The dash of jasmine, neroli, and iris powder add some substance and depth. A former GF from many years ago used to wear white musk scents regularly and I loved they way they smelled at the base of her neck. I only wish I had known of Clair de Musc at the time. I recommend that fans of white musk at least test Clair de Musc.
    Last edited by Sloan; 12th December 2007 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I'm pretty turned off by the smell of artificial white musk, no matter what it's in, and after reading about the health hazards of it, damage to the nerve sheath, cancer etc, I'll be damned if I'm going to wear it.
    The WHAT? Perfume ingredients that can cause nerve damage?
    Nooo! I've already got a brain that's stamped 'Emmental' because of my dissolute youth (worth every braincell). I'm sticking to my Orientals from now on...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

When i read the thread title i thought: "why is he writing if he's drunk? his objectiveness will be compromised!"...then i read it and i was relieved!

Well, have you tried Louve? maybe your faith will come back when you test it...
    sorry it didn't go well with Clair

some scents come ...some go away...they always evolve...
    --------------------------------------
    ooops, i just saw you didn't like it all that much either..

maybe Rousse then?
    Last edited by castorpollux; 12th December 2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Don't feel bad, champ.
    I'm a Philistine here, too.
    And I like a lot of muscs.
    More for the others...

Unlike many of you, I do not wear musks very well and can't stand most of them on other people either. Good thing it was a sample and not a whole big bottle bought blind, eh?

Hihi tvlampboy - I have tried a sample of tried Clair de Musc today as well. I have the same feeling as you. Nothing special at all! I am not a fan of musc, but had expected something more to

"Well, have you tried Louve? maybe your faith will come back when you test it."

Got nothing but very almond-y Jergens hand lotion with Louve.
    I can only guess that Ambre Sultan (YUM!) and Gris Clair (SCHWING!) and Miel de Bois (BOING!) have ruined me on many other Lutenses.

Some Lutenses (e.g. Chypre Rouge and Arabie in particular) just ruined themselves for me.

Other Lutenses (Clair de Musc and Sa Majesté la Rose come to mind first here) I find pleasant yet overpriced.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th December 2007 at 08:34 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Clair de Musc always gets me tons of compliments.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    "Well, have you tried Louve? maybe your faith will come back when you test it."

Got nothing but very almond-y Jergens hand lotion with Louve.
    I can only guess that Ambre Sultan (YUM!) and Gris Clair (SCHWING!) and Miel de Bois (BOING!) have ruined me on many other Lutenses.

Some Lutenses (e.g. Chypre Rouge and Arabie in particular) just ruined themselves for me.

Other Lutenses (Clair de Musc and Sa Majesté la Rose come to mind first here) I find pleasant yet overpriced.
    you might want to test Sarrasins, Lutens is finally exploring subtle here, the most subtle and beautiful jasmine on the market with a dusky leathery drydown.
    Last edited by Juliette de Lorsange; 12th December 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Tried Clair de Musc and thought, "OK, no big whoop here." Sorry but I like Jovan's white musk better, and my favorite is this strange Russian white musk I bought...well, never mind where. Tried Louve this week and though, "OK, no big whoop here." Deja vu! But I felt the same about Montale's almond scent. Ho hum.

TVLAMPBOY,

Someday maybe you'll open up and tell us how you really feel!!! (Ha, couldn't resist!) Actually, I adore your straight-forwardness. You have every right to be "pissed". When someone puts out well over $100. for a small bottle of fragrance - there is a certain expectation of what you'll get for your money. All I can say is TGF SAMPLES!!! Better luck on the next one!