Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

In yesterday's SotD Musse and Twolf were muttering about the bother to get one's hair cut cuz they're not consumed with the whole fashionista experience. I'm in that camp. Years ago I solved this by buying hair-cutting contraptions that you connect to your vacuum so you can cut your own hair. (Yes, it's funny looking and very loud, but it works! www.flowbee.com www.robocut.com)

My wardrobe is comprised of t-shirts, stretch corduroys and athletic shoes. I stopped wearing makeup other than lipstick some years ago. Fingernails? If they're clean, I've done my job.

So, who here just loves a daily indulgence in silk and lace, jewelry, and all the fun that goes with playing dress-up and who of you are predominantly casual except for divine perfumes?
    Last edited by Quarry; 12th December 2007 at 02:38 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

I am most definitely in the "diva" camp, though "diva" isn't the word I'd use. When I hear "diva" I think of Beyonce and her ilk. I just like the whole package. I love quality clothing, a smartly put together outfit, I get my hair styled and coloured (except for one grey streak), and I wear makeup pretty well everyday. Don't even get me started on shoes. However, I am certain I won't ever be mistaken for a "diva". There is nothing sparkly, ruffly, pink, or bling-y about me.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I've often wondered about this so am looking forward to the posts. I must confess to being a real girly girl. Makeup every day, regular haircuts, high heels and the love of dresses are a few things that define my look. I don't think I'm a fashionista but rather a geeky chic kinda girl during the day and elegant on more 'demanding' occasions. I think that fragrance is a big part of my style. Before the Basenotes Era I was interested in trendy scents that most women my age would wear while now I'm encouraged to explore this wonderful world and look beyond the department store counter. I'm actively seeking scents that suit my geeky/elegant persona and am really enjoying it!
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 12th December 2007 at 03:21 PM.

My other extravagance is vintage silver jewelry. I love it and have been collecting since I was 16. It never turns with age, in fact it often gets better. As silver polishes itself on everything it touches, I basically wear black, so clothes are easy and just a backdrop for a great necklace or brooch.

Ohhhohhh! Is this confession time? LOL

Diva or no diva, I love my clothes, shoes, make-up,
    and ohhh YES the accessories -
    purses, jewelery and of course perfume!!!

I LOVE getting dressed up and enjoy shopping.

Coats, pants, skirts, shirts, boots, shoes, dresses,
    leather, lingerie, jeans, shoes, shoes, shoes,
    there are so many types of shoes,
    low-heel, high-heel, dressy shoes, less dressy shoes,
    running shoes, walking shoes, dancing shoes,
    patent leather, shiny leather, black, red, purple, white!
    brown, tan, camel, cognac, maple, butterscotch...
    where to begin and when to stop? I never know!
    and don't even get me started on sandals!
    How many pairs of Mary-Jane's does a girl really need?
    How many pairs of black boots?
    How many pairs of... ahhh I think you get the idea LOL.

One thing however, I'm totally with Q on
    is not taking that great pleasure in getting my hair done.
    I do get my hair highlighted and colored and toned and
    the works every 6-8 weeks, but that relaxation that some
    speak of - I have yet to experience at the hairsalon.
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 12th December 2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I'm no diva and sadly not glamourous, but a friend of mine recently described me as elegant and refined (oh bless her for that!). I think she was erring on the side of kindness, but I certainly would like to think I am both of those on a good day. If so, the elegance is understated. I love good clothes and have my own style, but fashion holds no interest for me if fashion means simply trendy. I don't spend a fortune on any one item. I adore my Kaliko winter coat which has a lovely swing in movement, and a great cut, and at £200 it is the most expensive item of clothing I have ever owned. Apologies for being vulgar and talking about the price but I'm using it as indication of how I shop.

Style, elegance, and refinement have little to do with price or high-end design. They have more to do with the person inside the clothes. Coco Chanel said that when a woman is badly dressed you notice the clothes, but when she is well dressed you notice the woman. Being well dressed in my opinion is something a woman of style can carry off even if her clothes are an eclectic assortment from the charity shop. Mine are not, because I don't have enough sense of adventure, but friends of mine who shop like that always look distinctive and fabulous. They carry it with verve and self-assurance, two things money cannot buy.

Grooming is very important to me and I like to be well groomed from top to toe in any event. I spend time and money trying to look after my skin, though I came late to this. My hair is always the same style which is very much mine, and rather old-fashioned by some standards. I have not visited a hairdresser for 40 years.

I have a penchent for bags, scarves, gloves, etc. Shoes are a bit of a problem for me. I need sensible shoes at all times and the styles can let me down oftentimes. I never wear makeup except for mascara, and I wear no jewelry nowadays except for a single ring.

No one in their right minds would describe me as a beauty or even pretty, but I make the best of what I've got and can scrub up quite nicely. Making the effort is a matter of personal pride. I spent years not bothering, but now I think much differently. I think I get better as I get older.

Great thread, Quarry.
    Last edited by Sestra; 12th December 2007 at 04:04 PM.

What I wear has a lot to do with my environment and where I live. In New York, I was glam. In the mountains, I wore down and snowboots to keep warm. By the beach, I am casual. If you dressed up like a so-called Diva around here you'd look like a clown. Good taste is not only about what you wear, but where you wear it and how you act when you have it on.

I do wear makeup, Bare Escentuals minerals, so it does not look overdone indoors or out and it also stays on my face in hot sticky weather, feeling cool and dry. I choose colors for a "natural" look since I am outdoors quite a bit.

I've always had good perfumes no matter where I lived or how I dressed, my toenails painted and my earrings on. Those are bare necessities. lol
    Last edited by beachroses; 12th December 2007 at 04:59 PM.

Oh no, attached to your vacuum sweeper?

My closet is full of timeless beauties (back from the early 90-s) that just sit there and get old. I wear my uniform at work (polo shirt), and I buy 2 pairs of pants a year to cover the bottoms. Rather than that, I wear jeans/corduroy pants/slacks in the winter time and shorts in the summer, but our summer here lasts 9 months. I refuse to wear sports shoes at all times and I wear flipflops only to walk a dog, and it is a bear to find what I like and what fits and what feels comfortable, but I always remember what my Oma taught me: "Invest in the best pair of shoes (same about purses!) you can afford!" and I follow it. Hate shoe shopping here! Some of you might remember that my mama sends me 1 or 2 pairs a year from Europe. I refuse to wear T-shirts. Period.

Can do without jewelry, but never without makeup -- at least two layers of mascara and some sort of lip balm.

I guess I am not a diva at all!

Blog Entries

Quarry - I'm a cross between you and Zibeline. I cut my own hair (it's cropped real short) laugh at my fingernails (I'm a gardener), wear no makeup except for occasional eyeliner (if I remember) and clear gloss for chapped lips, dress mostly in jeans, turtlenecks and boots - my indulgences are perfumes, cremes, silver jewelry and rose bushes, so I guess I'm not in the fashionista camp.

But my garden and I smell divine
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

My wardrobe staple is jeans, dressed up or dressed down, plus a few knock-em-dead outfits (skirts, dresses) for work or play.

But I have a weakness for handbags & SHOES.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    shoes, shoes, shoes,
    there are so many types of shoes,
    low-heel, high-heel, dressy shoes, less dressy shoes,
    running shoes, walking shoes, dancing shoes,
    patent leather, shiny leather, black, red, purple, white!
    brown, tan, camel, cognac, maple, butterscotch...
    where to begin and when to stop? I never know!
    and don't even get me started on sandals!
    How many pairs of... ahhh I think you get the idea LOL.
    Yeah, baby!

Simple makeup, silver jewelry.
    I go to the salon every couple of months because I'd do a hatchet job on my own.
    And I get a mani-pedi whenever I see the need for one.

Definitely not glam... maybe polished-casual?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    But my garden and I smell divine
    Great line, Dee!
    Last edited by tang; 12th December 2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Sniff and let sniff.

I've never thought of myself as a diva- maybe because I don't act like one.
    There were PLENTY at the conservatory when I was there, and I never fit in.
    Also, in nursing.
    Boy, I was a real flop as a prima donna.

The power of my adornment is primarily talismanic ; because I am open and vulnerable, I need the protection a decent facade provides.
    I wear makeup every day, but not a lot- primarily lipstick [ I LOVE lips- I'm a big smoocher !], a touch of concealer and blush, waterproof mascara [ I'm a weeper, too- can't even watch Purina commercials], and waterproof eye pencil.
    Like our friends- I have my hair cut so that I don't need a comb, or any fuss.
    I keep my clothes forever, and love soft fabrics and sweaters, anything you can pet or snuggle up to...
    Primarily well-cut garments that flatter.
    Shoes are in two camps- athletic/ comfort [ clogs, trainers, hiking boots], and comfy/pretty [ heels not too high, attractive slingbacks, pumps, low-heeled snazzy boots].

My motto :
    From the neck up, nicely groomed;
    From the neck down, well-supported.

I collect beautiful earrings and bracelets-[ not anymore, but did for years], and enjoy things that don't require me to fuss.

PERFUME ???
    Even if I'm in RAGS, I smell like a million.
    I know what's important, LOL.

Enjoy reading your replies so far.

Well-thought posts by Sestra and chaya!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    My motto :
    From the neck up, nicely groomed;
    From the neck down, well-supported.

I'm enjoying how each of you shares your persona with us, and, as Mr. Rogers would say, "I like you just the way you are!"
    Last edited by Quarry; 12th December 2007 at 08:43 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Needless to say, the money I save by not being too much a fashionista I spend on being a blatant perfumista, so I smell glorious at all times.

I never wear jeans or fleeces. I never wear sporty clothes in public except at the gym, so no trainers for me, but I do like t-shirts if they have a bit of style about them. I try to find ones that flatter but it is difficult. When I find the right ones I buy a few at a time and in various colours that will suit. They tend to be smart t-shirts if you see what I mean. No logos or wording on them, sometimes a pattern but preferably plain.

In character I am somewhat reserved, in figure I think it is safe to describe me as statuesque.
    Last edited by Sestra; 12th December 2007 at 07:12 PM.

Great thread, Quarry! It's so interesting to get a picture of the people I read every day. Some of you don't look like I imagined you!

I've always been a jeans and jumpers kind of girl, and since becoming a Mum that's even more the case. I am statuesque too (nice term, Sestra) and permanently putting off buying pretty clothes until I've lost a few stones. (No, not man-things, it's an old-fashioned British Imperial weight measurement. I may cook and shop in grammes and kilos but I can't adjust to metric for weighing myself.)

I did have a period of paying great attention to my turn-out: back in the late 80s and 90s when I was in my late teens and twenties (and thin) I was totally Indie-Glam; lots of leather jackets, black clothes and big boots but with miniskirts and nice makeup, rather than the full goth-queen look. It was grunge, what can I say? I still think I looked hot. I certainly used to work at it and spent ages putting outfits together and subtly adjusting make up to get the perfect look.

Nowadays I buy jeans and tops that I think suit me, cover the worst of my fat bits and are suitable for my lifestyle. I can't be bothered with anything drycleanable and usually I don't even iron. I do own skirts and dresses and I do own high heels but I haven't worn a pair in a year.

I usually wear hiking boots with orthotic insoles now because my feet are tricky little devils, but I got married in spike-heeled red glitter ankleboots under my white dress - no-one wanted to see the wedding ring, they all wanted to see the boots! I think that says a lot about me actually. This winter I'm hoping to be spending a lot of time wearing skiboots... (sadly, not red glitter ones, though the Chick and I could have a try with the glue gun and the craft box.)

I cleanse and moisturise twice every day, and I don't leave the house without putting on mascara, lipbalm and perfume but I often leave the house without looking in the mirror. In fact, I don't own a full-length mirror. I have never had a pedicure. I have never had a single follicle waxed (I have given birth but there are some things I won't contemplate). I don't blowdry, I just wash 'n' go. I get my hair cut when I remember - my stylist jokes it's an annual shearing - and given the choice between buying a new rose or getting a haircut, I'm with Dee Olive: it's the rose every time.

But I do like getting dressed up when I occasionally get the chance. And I do scrub up quite nicely, I think. You can pretty much take me anywhere, given that I'm portly, middle-aged and middle-brow with a dreadful case of foot-in-mouth disease.

On a daily basis I just... can't be bothered. So no. Not a diva. I leave that to the lovely young things who are currently burning brightly. I had my turn.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 12th December 2007 at 07:37 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I used to be a buyer for a well known antique clothing store in the 70's and never got rid of that passion for vintage jewelry and floral fabrics. I don't have those clothes anymore, they were stolen. But I am able to incorporate part of that style into my casual environment by teaming floral skirts with pretty sandals, a jean jacket and vintage jewelry. I still have a few pieces left, picked up a few more on Ebay, but most of it is gone.

.........*flips hair*

As if.........The name says it all.

Divatologist specializing in all things Diva Baby!!!! My pen name is Adeeva Speeks.

I don't care what I have on cause I will still be a 'Diva'. For me it's not just my clothes and my sense of style, but it's the way I carry myself and my attitude. With me, 'The 'Diva' is to be watched and admired, but not to be messed with. My Mom is the 'Ultimate Diva'. She can walk in a room and all eyes will be on her. She doesn't have to say a word. She can walk in a room and about 5 other women can have on her exact same outfit, but you wouldn't even notice. She says that 20 people can have on her outfit and they still wouldn't look better than her LOL! I LOVE MY MOMMY!!!! She is so funny sometimes. I come from a long line of very, very strong and beautiful women. I am truly blessed. Being a 'Diva' isn't something I took a class in or saw on TV and tried to become. I was born a 'Diva'! I will die a 'Diva'!

My motto.......You do you and I do FABULOUS!!!! It's a Divatologist Movement!
    Last edited by Divatologist; 12th December 2007 at 08:40 PM.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I guess I probably am a bit of a diva... I can't leave the house unless I feel "done"... I always wear make-up...but I tend to wear fairly simple clothes... layers...nicely cut stuff, natural fabrics...cigarette cut jeans... my hair is naturally pretty loud - it's long, curly and auburn - and I'm 5'11" so I always feel like I look a bit crazy if my clothes etc are making a statement too... so I tend to stick to things that look elegant but interesting.

I don't think I'm a diva at all, in life or in scent - I have enough of an interest to devour these boards every day, but I tend to shy away from the glamorous scents, or those that are loudly feminine. I'm drawn to unisex scents more often than not. It's probably true of my clothes too, in the winter I wear my fairly masculine trench coat constantly, though it's always belted tightly at the waist. I wear the occasional dress but they're plain and black or grey and worn with knee high boots instead of being floral and pretty, and I also own men's shirts. But if I wear masculine things, I never let them dominate or hide my figure, I don't want to actually look like a man. I do take care of my hair, it gets cut often enough to keep the style and is styled every morning. I wear make up every day unless I'm purposefully giving my skin a break. I'm lost with shoes, in the day time I just wear trainers until they're so worn out I have to throw them away and find new ones. Other than that I wear nice leather boots, and have a pretty pair of peep toe heels that one day I hope I get round to wearing!

While I wouldn't describe myself as a diva, I do care very much about how I look. There, I said it. I love fabulous scarves and cashmere sweaters, great-fitting pants and smart skirts. I always wear lipstick, and it is always red. Yes to mild makeup. I stopped coloring my hair over a year ago, but I remain attentive to my gray curls. I love jewelry and always wear it. My major fashion failing is footwear. For me, comfort trumps all. I have an obscene pairs of clogs and Frye boots. And perfume. Of course, perfume. What an interesting thread to read!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    Too many pairs of black boots? Could there be such a thing?

Another girlie girl checking in.

I chose the name ComDiva for a reason...

Actually think I'm in line with Frenchie Day and Beachroses in that I land somewhere between geeky chic and classy/elegant, but I tend to dress for the locale and occasion.

That said, overall I tend to be fairly "put together" on most days (basic, highlighting-what-I-have make-up and plenty of fun and funky sparkly jewelry, some of it vintage, some of it modern, some of it folk-inspired). I like things that glitter and shimmer. Have a closet full of gorgeous dresses I've no real place to wear, so occasionally I light candles everywhere, put on some Coltraine and cook a killer dessert to enjoy with my DH once the kids are abed... Love dressing up, but spend more money on lingerie and outerwear than shoes. My fingernails (and often toenails, too) are a brittle disaster, but I have a drawer full of nail polish with FANTASTIC names from OPI. My favorite colors for my toes are "I'm Not Really A Waitress" (opalescent hooker red) and "Down to My Last Penny" (glittery copper).

I am a firm believer in good and consistent moisturizing and sunscreen, largely because I am a case of skin cancer waiting to happen (fair fair fair...)

I love flower gardening, but my husband has been heard to marvel that I am the only person he knows who can spend a couple of hours engrossed in gardening and then stand up, dust off my jeans and peel off my gardening gloves, and be clean. So I guess I am a flower gardening dilettante.

My hair is finally now getting cut by a pro (recently got my first ever haircut that cost more than $40), and use color enhancing shampoo that even said pro (who's also a colorist) admitted works beautifully on me.

Definitely a diva, but an earthy, geek-centered one.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Maybe I'm a closet Diva. My goals is to look effortlessly put together and very natural. I am afraid of looking as though I'm trying too hard - went through that phase already in my twenties and into my early thirties.

My hair fluctuates between long and shorter/edgy, depending on the season and depending on my mood. Color alternates with caramel highlights - more obvious when the hair is shorter, less obvious when the hair is longer. Nails: buffed only, fingers and toes. Shiny and perfect like a little infant's! Ha! Makeup: subtle because a little goes a long way on me: soft peachy or pink lips, line the dark eyes, and very light, natural looking base applied just where necessary. No blush, no shadow.

As for clothes, I am a cords and T-shirt or sweater fan, but I also very much like dresses with heels or boots. I really like cute coats and purses, although I don't shop that much and keep what I like for many, many years. I prefer the vintage preppy 70's style (remember Ali McGraw?), probably because that was popular during my growing up years. I try to stay fairly preppy and somewhat classic with the clothing and do not consider myself to be a fashionista, however, I do like to stay current with clothing lines and cuts.

Nothing compares to my perfume obsession, though. Total unabashedly snooty, snobby diva in that area.

I want to be a Diva, but in reality, I'm just a slob. Comfort has taken over from style over the years (guess it has a lot to do with being a mum), and I've given up caring. But I do glam up now and again if I have somewhere special to go. When it comes to perfume though, I'm as Diva as it gets.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I want to be a Diva, but in reality, I'm just a slob. Comfort has taken over from style over the years (guess it has a lot to do with being a mum), and I've given up caring. But I do glam up now and again if I have somewhere special to go. When it comes to perfume though, I'm as Diva as it gets.
    I couldn't have said it better! Exactly the same here!:wave:

All around glam for me. You should see my drawers full of makeup( expensive of course, i have never purchased makeup from a drug store ), nail polish,hair products. I have been known to spend $200 in one pop on highlights and haircut. I don't buy a lot of clothing because I prefer quality over quantity. I wear jeans almost every day but I don't own a pair that cost less than $100. I would not be caught dead wearing athletic shoes or a sweatshirt, I almost always wear heels unless I am gardening in which case I wear clogs. The perfume is just the icing on the cake! Funny thing is I have been like this since I was about 2 my family says....I think it is genetic my 14 year old is exactly the same.

I'm no diva. I lift weights a lot and so my default outfit is gym gear - drawstring pants, t-shirts and hoodies. I work in a casual office so if I'm going to the gym in the evening, that's what I will wear to work.
    When I'm going out I usually wear combats. I don't even wear jeans any more as they feel too restrictive. I bought some skinny jeans in April, wore them once then gave them to charity.
    I very rarely dress up - I have no need to. I have one grey jersey dress, and some white wide-legged trousers and a shirt I wear if I am going out in summer.
    As for my hair, it's so fine it won't style, so I just grow it long and cut the ends of myself. I colour it occasionally but it never goes quite the right shade (even when I had it done professionally) - it always develops a hint of red, which I don't care for as my natural colour is dark and very ashy.
    I do wear make-up, and I paint my toe nails, but as I type all day and lift weights, I don't do my fingernails. They are kept short and efficient. I had huge calluses on my hands from the weights. If the revolution came tomorrow, I'd be fine, as I have hands like a builder. (This is not a moan, btw...I am actually proud of my calluses!)

Not a diva- just a comfortable slob who usually changes into sweats and tees after work. I don't wear makeup either. But damn, I smell good!!
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Black jeans, black t-shirts. Make-up half the time. Perfume always.

I am an aspiring perfume diva and bath and body products diva. Also an accessories diva - I love pricey purses, shoes, etc - but only if I can get them on sale.

I dress casual... mostly tees and jeans, but I have a toddler and am a stay at home mom, so who's gonna see? I cut my own hair and paint my nails very occasionally. I used to care more about the clothes, and a LOT more about makeup, but being at home changed all that.

At heart, I'm more of an au naturel gal - just don't take away my smell good stuff!

Ooh, yes, very interesting question! I dress to my whims, not necessarily to what the occasion calls for, usually erring on the side of "too formal". Sometimes I "dress up" for my own amusement for the most casual of occasions, say grocery shopping or going to the library. Then, I have fun with looking a bit fierce/crazy, since school and work demand conservative traditional stuff. I'm not a brand whore, but mostly because I can't afford to be. I think I compensate pretty well with assembling second-hand and/or disposable stuff. My guilty pleasure/inspiration is thesartorialist, hel-looks, and viceland.

"If the revolution came tomorrow, I'd be fine, as I have hands like a builder. (This is not a moan, btw...I am actually proud of my calluses!)", Indiscreet, you're my hero!
    Last edited by bernat; 13th December 2007 at 03:38 PM.

I am probably the worst dressed person ever on BN, and I' m not kidding. Not a bit.
    Back in the Eighties, when I worked as a clerk, I wore what everyone else wore at that place; dresses (fake Chanel), black pumps with semi high heels, scarves from Hermes (fake, too), and Chanel handbags (fake, fake, fake).
    I have always used makeup, still does. My pale face sure needs it not to look sick, but it has also become a dear ritual each morning, while drinking my breakfast tea, to *create* my face of the day...I never wear shimmering shadows at daytime, though...
    Nowadays, while mostly leaving the house for grocery shopping and such, I wear jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, Uggs. Once home again, all goes off (underwear included), and I put on one of my beloved pajamas.
    For going to bed, I just change pajamas...
    At summer (usually about 2 - 3 weeks max here close to the North Pole) I wear long, wide *hippie-style* skirts, T-shirts, sandals or flip flops for leaving the house. At home I wear nightgowns that look like caftans.
    I also have the hands of a workingclass hero, but my toenails are nicely painted, summer or winter.
    Do I have to say that the entire neighborhood have seen me in my nighties, and luckily, after nearly ten years, they are comfortable with that.
    The two main reasons for my ways of dressing are: 1. I am a lazy slob, who gives priority to comfort, and 2. I don' t have much money.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

hehe, musse you made me laugh, I think pyjamas are actually my favourite items of clothing...combined with my huge fluffy grey cashmere cardigan...mmmn snuggleitious

Musse got me giggling too. But she's right! PJs are sooooo comfy. I love the idea of only changing pjs to go to bed.
    I know it's off-thread but Musse, you'll love this site; my friends and I are lusting after a set of trad flannels with a drop seat.
    http://www.dancestore.com/pajama-mas...edpajamas.html
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Oh, thanks for that link to pajama heaven, Wordbird - will bookmark it for sure!!!

*swoon*
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Musse, I'm such a pyjama girl, too! When I go out (and by out I mean to work, to do groceries, on the town, etc. but most definitely NOT walking the dog. That is not out) I like to be "done up". But the moment I'm back in the house it's pyjama time. And that includes walking the dog. Everybody in this neighbourhood has seen my pyjamas too.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Yet another pajama girl, here!!! Musse (and all who may be interested), my latest "sleepy tee" reads:

"Come to the dark side. We have cookies"

Will share some recipes to any/all who are so inclined...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Regardless of your predilection, baby, I KNOW that you are a sweet thang...
    Anmd I loves you, Leogirl.

I love my Little Miss Sunshine T that says:
    " Everybody just pretend to be normal..."

Also, these GODAWFUL knitted slippers that my friend's 90 year old Italian mother made for us all- They rock !

I like my German flannel, triple-napped star-patterned nightshirt.
    But I NEED Musse's mousie to put in my pocket !!!

Thanks Miz Qaurry/Joy for this GREAT thread...been following it since it's conception and like WordBird think it's been a great mixer - a way for us to get a pic of each other!! Interesting how we've let our hair (short, fine, curly, home-cut....) down!! Some I thought might be Divas are not - and vice versa!!

One of the many advantages of age (for me) is that I've been through it all and had a whale of a time in each phase!

In High School (this was before there was such a thing as "teen agers") and the uniform was oversize sweaters with fake peter pan collars over pleated skirts that came below the knee, with white mid-calf-length sox stuffed into penny loafers - I wore stockings and dresses and suits and Chantilly and Mum's stolen Shalimar.

When I ran away from home and college to The Big City (NY) and the ad world I quickly segued into the Power Outfit of the day (had one of the first pants suits and first pair of boots on The Scene) Frequented Loehman's for knock-downs and the Name hairdressers - all on OPM. (Other People's Money) Wore My Sin and Repliqueand L'Air du Temps. and Joy.

Now I live at the beach in shorts and sandals (funny - how we all seem to get out toe-nails painted whether we're suaves or slobs!) No make up. No jewelry. But lots of moisturizers and Body Butters and the best hairdresser in town And Joy - AND more frags than I've ever owned at one time IN MY LIFE!!!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 14th December 2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Fine tuning
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I've never been a Diva but I certainly like to take care of my appearance.
    My husband tells me I've got better as I've got older - which is a great
    ego boost! Now that I have the children more or less off my hands, I can
    afford the time and a bit more money to indulge myself a little.
    I have my hair coloured and cut every six weeks, I wear well-cut,
    stylish clothes and I look after my skin, teeth, hands and feet.
    I wear minimal make-up during the day, a little more if I'm going out.
    I am a very sensual person - I love the feel and texture of silk, cashmere
    and satin, the taste of good chocolate and the cruch followed by the softness of
    a perfectly done creme brulee!
    I like to think I have good taste in most things (literature, music,art etc.)
    I tend to follow the "less is more" philosophy

Scent is the icing on the cake for me and one of my greatest pleasures.
    Last edited by kewart; 14th December 2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: unfinished

I stopped wearing makeup, because my skin is fair and sensitive, it would break out from all the junk they put in it and it felt like I was wearing a mask. Then I discovered minerals, my life has changed! lol They also contain a natural sunscreen that doesn't make me allergic, like so many of the chemicals they use today do.

Now, all I need is for clothing manufacturers to start caring more about attractive lounging clothes for the house that are made from easy care materials. I can't hardly find anything I like. When I was growing up, women had so much more to choose from in that regard and clothes actually fit our bodies. Who is training these pattern makers now? They are terrible!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Musse, I laughed so hard. I just love you.

Here's my dirty little secret: Pants that look like corduroy dress slacks but are made of a super-soft stretchy material--I'll wear these all day and then hop into bed with them! I've got five pairs in five different colors, and they're all I wear.
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/SportKnit..._0=::DCA?bcc=y

That picture, you have provided Q. is absolutely NOT ME -- neither shoes, nor pants or even what little is shown of that relaxed fit top. Nooooo!

hmmm... this is an entertaining thread...it's a neat glimpse into each woman's style.
    Me, I think I am a diva in restraint. (more on this later) These days my default outfits are boot cut jeans and sweaters with boots or clogs or short skirts and tights with mary janes and close fitting tops with 3/4 sleeves. I have a snuggly short sweater dress that I could live in with tights these days.

I like to wear black with jewel tones or white for contrast. I prefer gemstones and sterling or white gold. I love sensuous fabrics like cashmere and silk and pure cottons.
    I LOVE girly lingerie, bras, camisoles, panties, etc....that's the restraint aspect I am talkiing about, I suppose. My secret inner diva. Even if I have to dress conservatively for work, I have had days of wearing a garter belt and stockings underneath it all. Gives one a bit of a "kick" to get through the day.

To go to an art opening or special party, I like to pump it up and make a statement with high heel boots, or a stunning piece of jewelry (I have some great pieces from my Mom's heyday - even costume jewelry especially from the 60's and 70's can be wonderful quality) or mustering whatever cleavage my girls are able to so many years post nursing with a lacy camisole under a sleek black pantsuit.

I wear my hair in a below the shoulders layered cut for now.
    I wear lipstick or gloss whenever I leave the house, maybe a bit of blush.
    ALWAYS use body scrubs, lotions, creams, it is an indulgence for me and I've done this daily since I was a teenager.

I do need comfortable shoes. I can't wear high heels every day, my job requires me to be on my feet and moving, hence the tights and mary janes, or comfy low shoes. I can be girly but functional. (Meg Ryan in You Got Mail. except my ass is bigger )
    BUT I did find some HOT leopard skin salsa dance shoes, that make wearing 3" heels a possibility for me now and then...wore them to a party the other night and danced all night in comfort - and my Diva was set free!

Man, I sound like I'm all over the place! At least I am having fun! and add me to the flannel PJ lover's list.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 15th December 2007 at 12:58 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I love reading these posts about you all. They say more than a photograph because they say why you look they way you do. That is the interesting bit, the human life that goes on behind the outward presentation.

I have not been to a hairdresser since I was a girl, and my long dark hair requires nothing more than the occasional trim which I can do myself in a minute (note to self - do it today). I wear it pinned up almost always. It takes hardly any time to style this way, I have it down to fine art. If my hair were short I would have to spend more time on it. This style may be old-fashioned, though I prefer to think of it as timeless. It carries me through any type of occasion or activity. It can be sophisticated for the evening - she said in hope - and functional for the daytime.

I have a horror of leisure-wear partly because I wore that style when I could afford no other and don't want to turn back the clock. It reminds me of times when I made no effort because my self-esteem was very low, another reason not to go there again. That style is simply not to my taste anyway so it is easy to avoid now. For those whose style it really is, I see women who carry it off with great aplomb. If you feel good about yourself you will convey that in your bearing, and others will see that.

I like reasonably simple styles that have a bit of understated elegance about them. I love the good cut of a well made coat or pants. I no longer wear skirts or dresses. I feel and look better than I have in years but my knees and ankles are not in their best shape. They have carried me far and well, so now is the time to let them have some well-deserved privacy.

I try not to wear black from head to foot because it reminds me of the days I was rather bigger than now, when black was the only colour available and styles were horrible. Things are much different for bigger women now, thank goodness, but back then it was dispiriting to shop. The occasional black top suits my colouring of fair skin and dark hair and eyes. Black or dark trousers are staples in my wardrobe. Right now I'm wearing flecked taupe wide-leg trousers, with a black 3/4 sleeve V-neck cotton top that follows my curves and has discreet edging around the V. Renee would probably like this top. I don't like to wear anything round my neck, and high necks do not suit my shape in any case.

I avidly avoid the clutter of accessories. Apart from my one ring and a wristwatch, my only accessory is fragrance. Today it is Chergui. What else would I need?

Being glamorous doesn't make one a diva...
    Attitude does.

There are those who claim that I have glamour- bless their deluded lil' hearts-
    But NONE who call me diva.

Mama- natch.
    RED hot mama- yes.
    Toots- most definitely.
    Diva- NO.

I have derived great deal of pleasure in following this thread since its inception. I feel as is if I know each of you on a slightly different level. Some of the comments have not surprised me and others have given me pause. Thanks for sharing.

"Divas" are women in music of exceptional talent and accomplishment, they are stars. In dance, they are known as "prima ballerinas." I believe the question was asked in fun, but let's not use it out of context in a serious way. It's not about attitude or what we wear. Glam is different. We can be glamourous and not be divas.

I wasn't referring to baggy sweat clothes, sestra, I totally agree with you. I was talking about the beautiful leisure clothes women in the 1970's and earlier had to choose from that fit well and were worthy of wearing with an elegant scent we spend good money on. Sorry if I was misunderstood.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th December 2007 at 01:27 AM.

Oh, beachroses-
    I didn't mean to be touchy !
    Please forgive...

I guess that I'm knee-jerk-reflexive because , all my life, I've been an anomaly in the opera arena -
    A singer who was good-natured, supportive, and NOT viciously competitive.Loving and sisterly, even.
    I've been repeatedly bashed by fellow musicians who must have thought that I was a threat.
    [Ironically, I've never perceived myself as such- the concept stuns me !]

So, if I've offended, please excuse my vehemence.
    it's just the chronic complex post-traumatic stress speaking.

Don't worry beachroses, I wasn't responding to any one point in another post, rather I felt moved to expand on my previous posts in the spirit of this thread which I am enjoying very much. I think it reflects the great generosity and spirit of women who post on BN, something I've noticed before with great pleasure.

I don't enjoy leisure-wear myself, but I didn't want to give those who wear it the impression that I was making any judgement on their own personal choice, so I gave the reasons which I hope were quite reasonable. I wouldn't feel good in that style and it would show, whilst others feel perfectly good and carry it off beautifully.

Having said that, I'm wearing almost leisure-wear right now. I'm sure the sparkly pink sleeveless top I'm wearing was bought in the pajama/nightwear section of Marks and Spencer's, but I wear it as a rather glam t-shirt in the privacy of home. Oooh, what a rebel.

And I would rather chew my right arm off than saunter round the house in flannel jim-jams. That's too reminiscent of deep despair to me, whilst others are happy as anything to unwind like that.

I enjoy our differences in all their glory.
    Last edited by Sestra; 16th December 2007 at 01:34 PM.

Sestra, it's funny that you said I'd like your top, since as I was reading the description, down to the edging, I thought, "ooohhh, I'd love to try that top on!"
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post

And I would rather chew my right arm off than saunter round the house in flannel jim-jams. That's too reminiscent of deep despair to me, whilst others are happy as anything to unwind like that.

I enjoy our differences in all their glory.
    But I wonder if we could convince you to wear this leopard skin set if I let you try on my salsa shoes with it?
    Plus I want the cashmere robe and silk nightgown. But again, MUST FEED AND CLOTHE THE BABIES!!!!

http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?i...%2C4477%2C7144
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th December 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    But I wonder if we could convince you to wear this leopard skin set if I let you try on my salsa shoes with it?
    Plus I want the cashmere robe and silk nightgown. But again, MUST FEED AND CLOTHE THE BABIES!!!!

http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?i...%2C4477%2C7144

You are right, the cream cashmere robe is gorgeous, but you couldn't get me into the leopard print one at gunpoint. And if I looked as good as the blonde in the Asian Wrap jim-jams I'd eat my words and wear those.

Love love love the sweater collection.

Edit: I got enthusiastic for that Silk Velvet Jacket in the Holiday section only to see it is no longer available. Love the Eileen Fisher metallic silk jacket which is just my style, though I would open the round neck to make a v shape. Being a bit of a titch I'd probably have to get the sleeves shortened whilst keeping that cuff detail. Could be a bit tricky.
    Last edited by Sestra; 16th December 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Oh, beachroses-
    I didn't mean to be touchy !
    Please forgive...

I guess that I'm knee-jerk-reflexive because , all my life, I've been an anomaly in the opera arena -
    A singer who was good-natured, supportive, and NOT viciously competitive.Loving and sisterly, even.
    I've been repeatedly bashed by fellow musicians who must have thought that I was a threat.
    [Ironically, I've never perceived myself as such- the concept stuns me !]

So, if I've offended, please excuse my vehemence.
    it's just the chronic complex post-traumatic stress speaking.
    Heck no, you didn't offend me at all!! And I'll bet it is difficult to deal with *some* people in opera, I have been noticing some pretty jealous and uppity behavior on the internet directed at those who were having more success than than some of them were, like Paul Potts from Wales. There are others who are absolutely lovely, joyful people to be around. I guess you can say that about any group from anywhere.

I think I'm a diva, albeit an eccentric one. I need my red lipstick, pointy boots, tailored jackets, long skirts, fans, corsets, and a velvet/silk/leather (even if it is waterstained or 2nd hand) coated envorinment in which to wear my lux perfumes. I'm a little tattered around the edges, not overly polished, but I like my treasures and I want to walk around feeling unique and confident.
    Last edited by lookingglass; 20th December 2007 at 10:17 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I like your fan, lookingglass!

I love all the girly stuff, not just perfumes. Hair done, manicure, pedicure, cute shoes, purses... I do wear makeup but just lightly. I just don't look good with it caked on.
    I wouldn't call myself a diva, but yes pretty femme, I'd say.

I think I am about to become more of a diva...just found out my hair stylist is a "fragrance whore" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I may have to get my hair done more often!!!

My vitamin lady was, she used to trade me for perfumes I didn't want, but sold the store recently to pursue another occupation. Sure will miss my cohort in crime! lol Nobody else understands me around here.
    Last edited by beachroses; 21st December 2007 at 07:47 PM.

I'm definitely a Diva

I'm a violinist, opera-trained coloratura soprano, professional event coordinator, and my main hobbies are roleplaying and amateur theatre / musicals. My friends called me Diva since high school - often Prima Donna to my family - long before Beyonce & co tainted the name.

dress wise I do have 'at home' clothes - still in pinks, purples and silvers - but I like brights with lots of silver jewelry when I go out. Even my gym clothes are bright and a bit blingy - but then, my personal trainer has peroxide blonde extensions, fake nails and wears a full face of makeup which she reapplies between clients, so I'm not alone there.

I have waist-length red curls, a la Christine in Phantom of the Opera. The length and the curls are natural, the colour is 'assisted'. I'm also 5'10 - that is over 6' with heels on - and I don't try to hide my size the way some tall girls do. And I love fragrances that are not exactly for shrinking violets

Hey, I write a beauty blog. How more diva can you get ?
    Last edited by the non blonde; 7th January 2008 at 01:11 AM.