Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

Ooh, yes, very interesting question! I dress to my whims, not necessarily to what the occasion calls for, usually erring on the side of "too formal". Sometimes I "dress up" for my own amusement for the most casual of occasions, say grocery shopping or going to the library. Then, I have fun with looking a bit fierce/crazy, since school and work demand conservative traditional stuff. I'm not a brand whore, but mostly because I can't afford to be. I think I compensate pretty well with assembling second-hand and/or disposable stuff. My guilty pleasure/inspiration is thesartorialist, hel-looks, and viceland.

"If the revolution came tomorrow, I'd be fine, as I have hands like a builder. (This is not a moan, btw...I am actually proud of my calluses!)", Indiscreet, you're my hero!
    Last edited by bernat; 13th December 2007 at 03:38 PM.

I am probably the worst dressed person ever on BN, and I' m not kidding. Not a bit.
    Back in the Eighties, when I worked as a clerk, I wore what everyone else wore at that place; dresses (fake Chanel), black pumps with semi high heels, scarves from Hermes (fake, too), and Chanel handbags (fake, fake, fake).
    I have always used makeup, still does. My pale face sure needs it not to look sick, but it has also become a dear ritual each morning, while drinking my breakfast tea, to *create* my face of the day...I never wear shimmering shadows at daytime, though...
    Nowadays, while mostly leaving the house for grocery shopping and such, I wear jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, Uggs. Once home again, all goes off (underwear included), and I put on one of my beloved pajamas.
    For going to bed, I just change pajamas...
    At summer (usually about 2 - 3 weeks max here close to the North Pole) I wear long, wide *hippie-style* skirts, T-shirts, sandals or flip flops for leaving the house. At home I wear nightgowns that look like caftans.
    I also have the hands of a workingclass hero, but my toenails are nicely painted, summer or winter.
    Do I have to say that the entire neighborhood have seen me in my nighties, and luckily, after nearly ten years, they are comfortable with that.
    The two main reasons for my ways of dressing are: 1. I am a lazy slob, who gives priority to comfort, and 2. I don' t have much money.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

hehe, musse you made me laugh, I think pyjamas are actually my favourite items of clothing...combined with my huge fluffy grey cashmere cardigan...mmmn snuggleitious

Musse got me giggling too. But she's right! PJs are sooooo comfy. I love the idea of only changing pjs to go to bed.
    I know it's off-thread but Musse, you'll love this site; my friends and I are lusting after a set of trad flannels with a drop seat.
    http://www.dancestore.com/pajama-mas...edpajamas.html
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Oh, thanks for that link to pajama heaven, Wordbird - will bookmark it for sure!!!

*swoon*
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Musse, I'm such a pyjama girl, too! When I go out (and by out I mean to work, to do groceries, on the town, etc. but most definitely NOT walking the dog. That is not out) I like to be "done up". But the moment I'm back in the house it's pyjama time. And that includes walking the dog. Everybody in this neighbourhood has seen my pyjamas too.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Yet another pajama girl, here!!! Musse (and all who may be interested), my latest "sleepy tee" reads:

"Come to the dark side. We have cookies"

Will share some recipes to any/all who are so inclined...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Regardless of your predilection, baby, I KNOW that you are a sweet thang...
    Anmd I loves you, Leogirl.

I love my Little Miss Sunshine T that says:
    " Everybody just pretend to be normal..."

Also, these GODAWFUL knitted slippers that my friend's 90 year old Italian mother made for us all- They rock !

I like my German flannel, triple-napped star-patterned nightshirt.
    But I NEED Musse's mousie to put in my pocket !!!

Thanks Miz Qaurry/Joy for this GREAT thread...been following it since it's conception and like WordBird think it's been a great mixer - a way for us to get a pic of each other!! Interesting how we've let our hair (short, fine, curly, home-cut....) down!! Some I thought might be Divas are not - and vice versa!!

One of the many advantages of age (for me) is that I've been through it all and had a whale of a time in each phase!

In High School (this was before there was such a thing as "teen agers") and the uniform was oversize sweaters with fake peter pan collars over pleated skirts that came below the knee, with white mid-calf-length sox stuffed into penny loafers - I wore stockings and dresses and suits and Chantilly and Mum's stolen Shalimar.

When I ran away from home and college to The Big City (NY) and the ad world I quickly segued into the Power Outfit of the day (had one of the first pants suits and first pair of boots on The Scene) Frequented Loehman's for knock-downs and the Name hairdressers - all on OPM. (Other People's Money) Wore My Sin and Repliqueand L'Air du Temps. and Joy.

Now I live at the beach in shorts and sandals (funny - how we all seem to get out toe-nails painted whether we're suaves or slobs!) No make up. No jewelry. But lots of moisturizers and Body Butters and the best hairdresser in town And Joy - AND more frags than I've ever owned at one time IN MY LIFE!!!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 14th December 2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Fine tuning
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I've never been a Diva but I certainly like to take care of my appearance.
    My husband tells me I've got better as I've got older - which is a great
    ego boost! Now that I have the children more or less off my hands, I can
    afford the time and a bit more money to indulge myself a little.
    I have my hair coloured and cut every six weeks, I wear well-cut,
    stylish clothes and I look after my skin, teeth, hands and feet.
    I wear minimal make-up during the day, a little more if I'm going out.
    I am a very sensual person - I love the feel and texture of silk, cashmere
    and satin, the taste of good chocolate and the cruch followed by the softness of
    a perfectly done creme brulee!
    I like to think I have good taste in most things (literature, music,art etc.)
    I tend to follow the "less is more" philosophy

Scent is the icing on the cake for me and one of my greatest pleasures.
    Last edited by kewart; 14th December 2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: unfinished
    Currently wearing: Cristobal by Balenciaga

I stopped wearing makeup, because my skin is fair and sensitive, it would break out from all the junk they put in it and it felt like I was wearing a mask. Then I discovered minerals, my life has changed! lol They also contain a natural sunscreen that doesn't make me allergic, like so many of the chemicals they use today do.

Now, all I need is for clothing manufacturers to start caring more about attractive lounging clothes for the house that are made from easy care materials. I can't hardly find anything I like. When I was growing up, women had so much more to choose from in that regard and clothes actually fit our bodies. Who is training these pattern makers now? They are terrible!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Musse, I laughed so hard. I just love you.

Here's my dirty little secret: Pants that look like corduroy dress slacks but are made of a super-soft stretchy material--I'll wear these all day and then hop into bed with them! I've got five pairs in five different colors, and they're all I wear.
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/SportKnit..._0=::DCA?bcc=y
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

That picture, you have provided Q. is absolutely NOT ME -- neither shoes, nor pants or even what little is shown of that relaxed fit top. Nooooo!

hmmm... this is an entertaining thread...it's a neat glimpse into each woman's style.
    Me, I think I am a diva in restraint. (more on this later) These days my default outfits are boot cut jeans and sweaters with boots or clogs or short skirts and tights with mary janes and close fitting tops with 3/4 sleeves. I have a snuggly short sweater dress that I could live in with tights these days.

I like to wear black with jewel tones or white for contrast. I prefer gemstones and sterling or white gold. I love sensuous fabrics like cashmere and silk and pure cottons.
    I LOVE girly lingerie, bras, camisoles, panties, etc....that's the restraint aspect I am talkiing about, I suppose. My secret inner diva. Even if I have to dress conservatively for work, I have had days of wearing a garter belt and stockings underneath it all. Gives one a bit of a "kick" to get through the day.

To go to an art opening or special party, I like to pump it up and make a statement with high heel boots, or a stunning piece of jewelry (I have some great pieces from my Mom's heyday - even costume jewelry especially from the 60's and 70's can be wonderful quality) or mustering whatever cleavage my girls are able to so many years post nursing with a lacy camisole under a sleek black pantsuit.

I wear my hair in a below the shoulders layered cut for now.
    I wear lipstick or gloss whenever I leave the house, maybe a bit of blush.
    ALWAYS use body scrubs, lotions, creams, it is an indulgence for me and I've done this daily since I was a teenager.

I do need comfortable shoes. I can't wear high heels every day, my job requires me to be on my feet and moving, hence the tights and mary janes, or comfy low shoes. I can be girly but functional. (Meg Ryan in You Got Mail. except my ass is bigger )
    BUT I did find some HOT leopard skin salsa dance shoes, that make wearing 3" heels a possibility for me now and then...wore them to a party the other night and danced all night in comfort - and my Diva was set free!

Man, I sound like I'm all over the place! At least I am having fun! and add me to the flannel PJ lover's list.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 15th December 2007 at 12:58 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I love reading these posts about you all. They say more than a photograph because they say why you look they way you do. That is the interesting bit, the human life that goes on behind the outward presentation.

I have not been to a hairdresser since I was a girl, and my long dark hair requires nothing more than the occasional trim which I can do myself in a minute (note to self - do it today). I wear it pinned up almost always. It takes hardly any time to style this way, I have it down to fine art. If my hair were short I would have to spend more time on it. This style may be old-fashioned, though I prefer to think of it as timeless. It carries me through any type of occasion or activity. It can be sophisticated for the evening - she said in hope - and functional for the daytime.

I have a horror of leisure-wear partly because I wore that style when I could afford no other and don't want to turn back the clock. It reminds me of times when I made no effort because my self-esteem was very low, another reason not to go there again. That style is simply not to my taste anyway so it is easy to avoid now. For those whose style it really is, I see women who carry it off with great aplomb. If you feel good about yourself you will convey that in your bearing, and others will see that.

I like reasonably simple styles that have a bit of understated elegance about them. I love the good cut of a well made coat or pants. I no longer wear skirts or dresses. I feel and look better than I have in years but my knees and ankles are not in their best shape. They have carried me far and well, so now is the time to let them have some well-deserved privacy.

I try not to wear black from head to foot because it reminds me of the days I was rather bigger than now, when black was the only colour available and styles were horrible. Things are much different for bigger women now, thank goodness, but back then it was dispiriting to shop. The occasional black top suits my colouring of fair skin and dark hair and eyes. Black or dark trousers are staples in my wardrobe. Right now I'm wearing flecked taupe wide-leg trousers, with a black 3/4 sleeve V-neck cotton top that follows my curves and has discreet edging around the V. Renee would probably like this top. I don't like to wear anything round my neck, and high necks do not suit my shape in any case.

I avidly avoid the clutter of accessories. Apart from my one ring and a wristwatch, my only accessory is fragrance. Today it is Chergui. What else would I need?

Being glamorous doesn't make one a diva...
    Attitude does.

There are those who claim that I have glamour- bless their deluded lil' hearts-
    But NONE who call me diva.

Mama- natch.
    RED hot mama- yes.
    Toots- most definitely.
    Diva- NO.

I have derived great deal of pleasure in following this thread since its inception. I feel as is if I know each of you on a slightly different level. Some of the comments have not surprised me and others have given me pause. Thanks for sharing.

"Divas" are women in music of exceptional talent and accomplishment, they are stars. In dance, they are known as "prima ballerinas." I believe the question was asked in fun, but let's not use it out of context in a serious way. It's not about attitude or what we wear. Glam is different. We can be glamourous and not be divas.

I wasn't referring to baggy sweat clothes, sestra, I totally agree with you. I was talking about the beautiful leisure clothes women in the 1970's and earlier had to choose from that fit well and were worthy of wearing with an elegant scent we spend good money on. Sorry if I was misunderstood.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th December 2007 at 01:27 AM.

Oh, beachroses-
    I didn't mean to be touchy !
    Please forgive...

I guess that I'm knee-jerk-reflexive because , all my life, I've been an anomaly in the opera arena -
    A singer who was good-natured, supportive, and NOT viciously competitive.Loving and sisterly, even.
    I've been repeatedly bashed by fellow musicians who must have thought that I was a threat.
    [Ironically, I've never perceived myself as such- the concept stuns me !]

So, if I've offended, please excuse my vehemence.
    it's just the chronic complex post-traumatic stress speaking.

Don't worry beachroses, I wasn't responding to any one point in another post, rather I felt moved to expand on my previous posts in the spirit of this thread which I am enjoying very much. I think it reflects the great generosity and spirit of women who post on BN, something I've noticed before with great pleasure.

I don't enjoy leisure-wear myself, but I didn't want to give those who wear it the impression that I was making any judgement on their own personal choice, so I gave the reasons which I hope were quite reasonable. I wouldn't feel good in that style and it would show, whilst others feel perfectly good and carry it off beautifully.

Having said that, I'm wearing almost leisure-wear right now. I'm sure the sparkly pink sleeveless top I'm wearing was bought in the pajama/nightwear section of Marks and Spencer's, but I wear it as a rather glam t-shirt in the privacy of home. Oooh, what a rebel.

And I would rather chew my right arm off than saunter round the house in flannel jim-jams. That's too reminiscent of deep despair to me, whilst others are happy as anything to unwind like that.

I enjoy our differences in all their glory.
    Last edited by Sestra; 16th December 2007 at 01:34 PM.

Sestra, it's funny that you said I'd like your top, since as I was reading the description, down to the edging, I thought, "ooohhh, I'd love to try that top on!"
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post

And I would rather chew my right arm off than saunter round the house in flannel jim-jams. That's too reminiscent of deep despair to me, whilst others are happy as anything to unwind like that.

I enjoy our differences in all their glory.
    But I wonder if we could convince you to wear this leopard skin set if I let you try on my salsa shoes with it?
    Plus I want the cashmere robe and silk nightgown. But again, MUST FEED AND CLOTHE THE BABIES!!!!

http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?i...%2C4477%2C7144
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th December 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    But I wonder if we could convince you to wear this leopard skin set if I let you try on my salsa shoes with it?
    Plus I want the cashmere robe and silk nightgown. But again, MUST FEED AND CLOTHE THE BABIES!!!!

http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?i...%2C4477%2C7144

You are right, the cream cashmere robe is gorgeous, but you couldn't get me into the leopard print one at gunpoint. And if I looked as good as the blonde in the Asian Wrap jim-jams I'd eat my words and wear those.

Love love love the sweater collection.

Edit: I got enthusiastic for that Silk Velvet Jacket in the Holiday section only to see it is no longer available. Love the Eileen Fisher metallic silk jacket which is just my style, though I would open the round neck to make a v shape. Being a bit of a titch I'd probably have to get the sleeves shortened whilst keeping that cuff detail. Could be a bit tricky.
    Last edited by Sestra; 16th December 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Oh, beachroses-
    I didn't mean to be touchy !
    Please forgive...

I guess that I'm knee-jerk-reflexive because , all my life, I've been an anomaly in the opera arena -
    A singer who was good-natured, supportive, and NOT viciously competitive.Loving and sisterly, even.
    I've been repeatedly bashed by fellow musicians who must have thought that I was a threat.
    [Ironically, I've never perceived myself as such- the concept stuns me !]

So, if I've offended, please excuse my vehemence.
    it's just the chronic complex post-traumatic stress speaking.
    Heck no, you didn't offend me at all!! And I'll bet it is difficult to deal with *some* people in opera, I have been noticing some pretty jealous and uppity behavior on the internet directed at those who were having more success than than some of them were, like Paul Potts from Wales. There are others who are absolutely lovely, joyful people to be around. I guess you can say that about any group from anywhere.

I think I'm a diva, albeit an eccentric one. I need my red lipstick, pointy boots, tailored jackets, long skirts, fans, corsets, and a velvet/silk/leather (even if it is waterstained or 2nd hand) coated envorinment in which to wear my lux perfumes. I'm a little tattered around the edges, not overly polished, but I like my treasures and I want to walk around feeling unique and confident.
    Last edited by lookingglass; 20th December 2007 at 10:17 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I like your fan, lookingglass!

I love all the girly stuff, not just perfumes. Hair done, manicure, pedicure, cute shoes, purses... I do wear makeup but just lightly. I just don't look good with it caked on.
    I wouldn't call myself a diva, but yes pretty femme, I'd say.

I think I am about to become more of a diva...just found out my hair stylist is a "fragrance whore" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I may have to get my hair done more often!!!

My vitamin lady was, she used to trade me for perfumes I didn't want, but sold the store recently to pursue another occupation. Sure will miss my cohort in crime! lol Nobody else understands me around here.
    Last edited by beachroses; 21st December 2007 at 07:47 PM.

I'm definitely a Diva

I'm a violinist, opera-trained coloratura soprano, professional event coordinator, and my main hobbies are roleplaying and amateur theatre / musicals. My friends called me Diva since high school - often Prima Donna to my family - long before Beyonce & co tainted the name.

dress wise I do have 'at home' clothes - still in pinks, purples and silvers - but I like brights with lots of silver jewelry when I go out. Even my gym clothes are bright and a bit blingy - but then, my personal trainer has peroxide blonde extensions, fake nails and wears a full face of makeup which she reapplies between clients, so I'm not alone there.

I have waist-length red curls, a la Christine in Phantom of the Opera. The length and the curls are natural, the colour is 'assisted'. I'm also 5'10 - that is over 6' with heels on - and I don't try to hide my size the way some tall girls do. And I love fragrances that are not exactly for shrinking violets

Hey, I write a beauty blog. How more diva can you get ?
    Last edited by the non blonde; 7th January 2008 at 01:11 AM.