Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I like your fan, lookingglass!
    Thanks, Quarry! I do have a bit of a fan collection as well. We have a friend who is a model (who's name shall remain unmentioned) who was remodeling a house; I barely knew him at the time, but he found a fan in the wall: beautiful, circa 1900, cream colored with pink roses. He carried it in his car untill he saw me in the street one day when he chased me down with it saying, "I found this and thought of you...".

That is what I expect out of a fragrance, too!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    Thanks, Quarry! I do have a bit of a fan collection as well. We have a friend who is a model (who's name shall remain unmentioned) who was remodeling a house; I barely knew him at the time, but he found a fan in the wall: beautiful, circa 1900, cream colored with pink roses. He carried it in his car untill he saw me in the street one day when he chased me down with it saying, "I found this and thought of you...".

That is what I expect out of a fragrance, too!
    Wow! What a story, lookingglass. What a treasure.
    We put things inside the wall as we restore our 139-year-old schoolhouse. Recently DH put a slightly dated cell phone behind a stone marker.

Casual to the core, even stubbornly so. Even when it comes to perfume; if it seems too 'dressy' or 'perfumey', I'm not likely to wear it.

I'm fairly casual most of the time, but I save dressing up for special occasions (although I do dress up a little bit from time to time on my own).
    I would say that scents that a choose are very diva-esque in nature though, and I'm not the kind of person who's afraid to throw on a t-shirt and slap on some No.5 or Allure and go =0] I'd rather break the rules and have a good time, then follow them. =0]

Scent only most of the time, but am -- if I may say so myself -- fabu-f*cking-licious on the rare occasion that I dress to the nines (e.g., weddings, funerals, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, black tie affairs etc.).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th January 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I think that a high-end perfume can only show its real effect when used as a wrap-up of the "whole package". Nice perfume and T-shirt/blue jeans/casual-modern style...would never work for me. When like this, just apply some deodorant and be clean. Perfume calls for a taller order.

I'm rather nondescript in my wardrobe. Mostly bootcut jeans and turtlenecks or capris and 3/4 sleeve blouses. Comfort is a big must since I home school three kids, have housework and yard work and work at night. Not much time for going out dressed to the nines....so I wear what scent I want when I feel like it.

It's fun to accessorize with clothes, shoes, bags and such but if I have to wait to have the whole package I may only get to wear some scents once a year. What a waste of perfume

I'm in it for the scent and don't care whether I have the wardrobe to go with it.

Just curious....where are you tall women getting your clothes? I'm 5'11 and seem to always be looking for something to fit right.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

I tend to 'match' my perfumes to my outfits. For work I dress nicely, but still casual. To go with this I wear one of my 'work' fragrances, which are on the whole inoffensive, close to the skin and subtle.

When I'm going out I LOVE to dress up. While I don't have designer clothing, I do have a lot of nice, bargain clothes. Generally I'll wear a hot miniskirt, fitted jeans and a fancy top to match. I'm not big on jewellry - usually just a couple of cheap bangles or a cheap necklace if it matches and the outfit calls for it. The only jewellry I always wear is my earrings. I have a LARGE collection of earrings. I love shoes, though I don't have the biggest collection. Plenty of everyday shoes and work shoes, and about 12 going-out heels and wedges. I also love makeup but I tend to keep it simple. Just some foundation and nude or subtle lipgloss for everyday wear, and when I go out I add eyeliner, mascara, a little eyeshadow, and a more vivd/sparkly lipgloss. I wear my fancier, stronger scented perfumes for these events - whatever suits the occasion.

Of course, whatever event I'm going to, I dress up appropriately, and I'll wear the appropriate perfume. I just don't like to use my 'going out' perfumes for everyday wear. When I'm having a bumming around day, I generally won't even bother with a scent.... perhaps a nice body butter if I can be bothered and that's it.

I think my perfume tastes and clothing tastes are both "out there." Plus vintage. LoL. Like, I'm definitely not GLAMOROUS in the Chanel/Dior/Gucci way, but I love those flimsy $100 shirts that are ripped and have screen-printed skulls on them and look like they've been dug out of a trash can. (Mom: "Why do you buy clothes that look like they've been pulled from a tomb?") Like, that, for me, is the idea of glam. Haha. As for jewelry... I like vintage 1920s stuff, and also historical jewelry inspired by ancient Egypt, ancient Rome, ancient India, etc. I also love 1920s-inspired dresses. And for special occasions I love cute outfits from Anthropologie! :-) I really don't like business casual, because everything's so crisp and formal, and I like my clothing fabric soft and ratty. Lots of women look so beautiful in semi-formal, business casual, but I look terrible and disgruntled. I also have tattoos of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs on my arms and wear too much eyeliner. So... uh... I don't know what you call that. LoL. I think I dress casually, but my friends say I dress very stylishly, so believe what you will.

Mentally, though, I'm 100% nerd, and pretty much everyone agrees with that, muahaha.

Talking Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

For me, as a man, it is a real pleasure to read these posts.

You all describe yourselves so wonderfully, and divas or not, you ALL sound fabulous.

I hadn't really developed any mental pictures of any of you before this thread (though I have read many of your posts).

But now my mind is full of the most vivid pictures, many of them perhaps not to be shared in mixed company! (I'm torn between the stockings/garter belt under a work outfit, the calloused gardeners' hands and the fluffy pajamas. This is obviously my punishment for eavesdropping on this thread! )

Thank you all. You've made my morning...

Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    the stockings/garter belt under a work outfit, the calloused gardeners' hands and the fluffy pajamas
    Ah yup: that's us lot.
    :-)

I've found it amazing to hear what my compadres wear. There are tomboys who I'd always thought of as very properly-dressed high-powered executives and grandmothers that I'd have sworn were glamorous rock chicks. Not to mention the closet divas who seem so laid-back from their posts and those who I'd thought would come out as divas who came out as members of the fluffy pj club instead!

One thing's for sure: they've all got style and they're a great bunch and the reason I visit every day.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 18th January 2008 at 10:41 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

You know how a lot of people say they're most comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans? I'm the opposite. I love being dressed up, and would wear dresses and skirts and high heels all the time if it was socially acceptable. But I'm a homemaker with three kids under the age of 4, so it's not really practical. So I'm kind of an undercover diva.

And I really have a weakness for the old-school, glamorous perfumes. I read the book "The Bombshell Manual of Style" and thought it was pretty funny that my favorite perfumes made their list of perfumes a bombshell should wear. I'm a bombshell at heart, with the life of a housewife, I guess.
    “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”--Dorothy Parker

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eek909 View Post
    ... "The Bombshell Manual of Style" and thought it was pretty funny that my favorite perfumes made their list of perfumes a bombshell should wear.
    I love it, eek909: "undercover diva."

(I also love everything Wordbird thinks/writes.)

Welcome, eek909. Delightful to see new faces at Basenotes.

Say, what were those bombshell perfumes on that list?

I used to be a "Diva", when I was working in cosmetics it was easy. I used to wear the nicest designer clothes, hello Dior, Chanel, and Agnes B. I always wore Chanel foundation (Teint Universale), and eye shadows (quads of Stage Lights, Variations, Nymphea etc...) All my Chanel was from France, the Chanel they sell here in the states is made in the states, well 99% of it. YSL, Dior, Chanel and Guerlain lipsticks, I have about 50 + lipsticks. And my favorite shoes were my Chanel classic flats. Oh, I used to always do my nails, have about 20 bottles of Chanel nail color. I always used the best skin care, Guerlain, Orlane, Stendhal, Darphin, and Lancome (from France). I also used to love facials, lots of facials.

Now I never wear make-up; not a drop, not even lip-color, just lip balm. I clip my nails with a clipper, never would have done that before. I wear GAP khakis most of the time, or jeans occasionally. I wear nice warm sweaters; New Hampshire weather you know, could care less who makes them. And my shoes are now from L.L. Bean, comfort over style, and my toes straightened out. My hair is very long, so I only trim it three times a year; not much salon cost there.
    But I still take very good care of my skin, could never stop doing that, using my Lancome (from France). I still put jewelry on, I have 'always' worn jewelry, so that does not seem "Diva"-like to me.
    One of my indulgences, well it really isn't that big of an indulgence, is my alpaca coat. My mother purchased it for me three years ago, double markdowns from $ 3000 down to $ 700, and I do love that coat.
    I guess the only "Diva" quality I retained is my love of fine fragrance.

Quite simply put - a Diva in scent only

I can hardly call myself a diva, but I was raised mostly in the South (USA) and, since I am of a certain age, remember when one go out to collect the mail unless one was in full hair and makeup! Then moved to L.A., where things were very different indeed -- went through college with a few pairs of jeans, Indian-cotton blouses and T-shirts. But I always wore makeup -- and perfume (ok, EDT most of the time). This set me apart from most of the girls I knew at UCLA, none of whom were wearing Chanel No. 5 to class, and I took some heat for it, too. But I just couldn't give it up.

In your 20's, sloppy can be cute; in your 40's and beyond, sloppy is just sloppy. And so I'm much more careful now and yes the maintenance does take time. Not into fashion -- I buy the classics, and can wear the clothes forever. And I'm still a perfume fan. I wear it even when alone.

Finally, my mother, who was always perfectly dressed and groomed (and utterly horrified at my L.A.-in-the-70's worn-out-jeans look) passed away in 2002. Since then I've become much more conscious of things like sagging hems and shaggy hair. In a way, I know I'm doing this to honor her.

Smile Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

I'm not a diva and I'm not a very girly girl either. Can't remember the last time I wore a skirt. I have a couple of pairs of black trousers but hipster jeans are my fashion staple with different leg lengths to be worn with varying heel heights, from flats to 4.5 inch heels. I'm short so one thing I can play around with is my height! Hardly ever wear shoes as I prefer ankle boots or sandals, depending on the weather. I have more jackets than any other type of clothing, hardly ever wear patterns, love silver and turquoise jewellery, especially hoop earrings and have a penchant for soft, touchy feely leather bags. Hair is cut and coloured once a month, nails are painted regularly and make-up, especially blusher, is essential to 'perk' my face up. I do love my mascara and lipgloss. My ideal lifestyle however would be that of a beach bum (an artistic one of course!), suntanned and wearing a shirt tied at the waist, cut-off knee length denim hipster shorts, flip flops and a big battered old straw sunhat. Not diva like at all!

Quarry,

this thread is brilliant, thank you!

Just to add my little bit: my divaism is totally limited to scent . In privacy I'm with no makeup, jeans and t shirts etc. On stage, of course, I'm a temporary diva (if you can't make it - fake it!). I do a concert once a year in the village where I'm living and the people who know me from bringing my kid to school etc are almost shocked about my metamorphosis. Since then, the farmer in our street, who is a music fan and goes to the concerts too, stops every time he meets me in the forest, repeating a couple of times "A totally different person, can't believe it, a totally different person..."

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I used to be a "Diva", when I was working in cosmetics it was easy. I used to wear the nicest designer clothes, hello Dior, Chanel, and Agnes B. I always wore Chanel foundation (Teint Universale), and eye shadows (quads of Stage Lights, Variations, Nymphea etc...) All my Chanel was from France, the Chanel they sell here in the states is made in the states, well 99% of it. YSL, Dior, Chanel and Guerlain lipsticks, I have about 50 + lipsticks. And my favorite shoes were my Chanel classic flats. Oh, I used to always do my nails, have about 20 bottles of Chanel nail color. I always used the best skin care, Guerlain, Orlane, Stendhal, Darphin, and Lancome (from France). I also used to love facials, lots of facials.

Now I never wear make-up; not a drop, not even lip-color, just lip balm. I clip my nails with a clipper, never would have done that before. I wear GAP khakis most of the time, or jeans occasionally. I wear nice warm sweaters; New Hampshire weather you know, could care less who makes them. And my shoes are now from L.L. Bean, comfort over style, and my toes straightened out. My hair is very long, so I only trim it three times a year; not much salon cost there.
    But I still take very good care of my skin, could never stop doing that, using my Lancome (from France). I still put jewelry on, I have 'always' worn jewelry, so that does not seem "Diva"-like to me.
    One of my indulgences, well it really isn't that big of an indulgence, is my alpaca coat. My mother purchased it for me three years ago, double markdowns from $ 3000 down to $ 700, and I do love that coat.
    I guess the only "Diva" quality I retained is my love of fine fragrance.

OMG!!!! Brielle87 I saw the most amazing alpaca coat at the beginning of winter and I talked myself out of buying it I wish I would have cause I would have ended up not paying much for it at all. My Moms has been on me for years to get a full length coat. I promised her I would. I wanted that alpaca coat so bad. It was 3/4 length though and I already had 3 coats on my arm. Everytime I walk by that store I think of what could have been lol. Oh well.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I'm a middle-aged diva, which means I'm not "girlie" anymore. Loads of scent, just the essential makeup (or I fear I might look like a parrot), a nice haircut (and dye) that allows me to do my hair at home (I hate wasting time at the hairdresser's), and fewer, but better clothes: the same brand of jeans, well-cut, beautiful skirts, silk, cashmere, cotton, nice wool, neutral colours with a touch of colour... Not a lot of fancy shoes, as my feet complain a lot if I torture them with high heels. Oh yes, and I'm mad about handbags and fashion earrings (not so much into real jewelry since I was burgled). It's a bit unfair: when you're young and you have the body and the wish to be a real "fashion victim", you just can't afford it; later, when you get your own money, there are always other more important things (children, jobs, and time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    OMG!!!! Brielle87 I saw the most amazing alpaca coat at the beginning of winter and I talked myself out of buying it I wish I would have cause I would have ended up not paying much for it at all. My Moms has been on me for years to get a full length coat. I promised her I would. I wanted that alpaca coat so bad. It was 3/4 length though and I already had 3 coats on my arm. Everytime I walk by that store I think of what could have been lol. Oh well.
    You should go back in to see if it is still there, on clearance. You could have it for next season. My alpaca coat is ssssssssssssooooooooooooooo warm, I can not even believe it. Good luck, and next time do not hesitate, I learnt my lesson with hesitating (bye bye Parure)
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by jazztweety View Post
    Quarry,

Just to add my little bit: my divaism is totally limited to scent . In privacy I'm with no makeup, jeans and t shirts etc. On stage, of course, I'm a temporary diva (if you can't make it - fake it!). I do a concert once a year in the village where I'm living and the people who know me from bringing my kid to school etc are almost shocked about my metamorphosis. Since then, the farmer in our street, who is a music fan and goes to the concerts too, stops every time he meets me in the forest, repeating a couple of times "A totally different person, can't believe it, a totally different person..."
    Jazztweety, it's lovely to see you on the forum again. I've worn some of your fragrances this month with more to come. I know you are busy working but I hope we see more of you in future. You've been missed.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jazztweety View Post
    Quarry,

I love every single, sincere, revealing post, too. But I have to avoid patting myself on the back for my billiance or I get a cramp in my wing.

Now that our CD has matured and I can open my wallet again, I'm overhauling my wardrobe, getting a new camera, ordering some body care items, and it may not stop there. At least half of my wardrobe is composed of hand-me-downs from my daughter (and originally bought by my mother 15 years ago!). Must climb up one or two rungs on that diva ladder!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I am a proponent of constant reinvention, from tomboy to fragile victorian girl to heavy -metal viking goddess, and have yet to find a niche. However, the one element that keeps me the most interested is scent. I am completely consumed these days by the idea of scent as an almost subliminal dimension to expressing one's personality.

I'm currently in a clothing slump. I hate everything in my closet right now, except for the jeans i wear every day like a uniform. And even with those, I'm trying. In my mind, my next phase is going to be making most of my clothing-- simple blouses and skirts, ala Rosemary's baby-- little mod dresses too. But damn, I smell like a million bucks, and I have gotten really fond of wearing eye-makeup and flat-ironing my hair, which I couldn't have been bothered to do a few months ago.

As far as who I am on the interior, I fall into that category of spunky yet melancholy 19th century novel heroine. Never satisfied, always searching, courageous and stumbling, loveable and indecisive.

For me, perfume is a great dimension to explore moods, personality, personas, etc. in a calculated way.

I read through this thread the first time around and was going to post, but I never got back to it. Must have been asleep at the wheel.
    Anyhoo, as far as Diva goes, no, not even a little bit. I've always been a girly girl though. Love makeup (always tasteful), nicely cut classic looking clothes with the odd trendy thing thrown in so as not to look too out-dated, heels (yes, even with jeans) and the odd piece of really great jewelry.
    I do like my PJ's and wear them all day on occasion when I don't have to go out. Flannels in the winter, and Victoria Secret "sexy's" in the warmer months, although I don't ever wear the VS's during the day in case someone comes to the door!
    I do occasionally match my scents to my outfits, like the little black dress, up-do and heels to Tabac Blond, but mostly just wear frags that suit my mood.
    I love to fish, boat and camp, and always wear a light frag, well, at least until the skeeters take over and I have to cover my poor *ss in the always dreaded bug spray!
    Reading through these posts was like getting to know you all a little better, and I enjoyed every one of them. Thanks for the peek inside your world. Great fun!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I've loved reading this thread. It's so interesting to get to know you all a little better!

I'm more of a casual clothing kind of gal. I'm on maternity leave at the moment but when I'm in work I spend all week in a nurses uniform so when I get home comfort is the key! I slip on a pair of comfy pants, a t-shirt and my Ugg boots and I'm in heaven! Then I get on with sorting 3 kids out for tea and then ready for bed! lol

During my spare time I tend to wear either Jeans or combats with flat comfy shoes with T-shirts and/or sweaters. I always tend to make sure my hair is nice when I go out of the house (if I have time of course - not always possible with 3 kids in tow) , but I have't been to the hairdressers in 2 years - they just cut too much off. My hair is long and I like it that way. I'll put on a bit of make-up for work but not much and sometimes I go out with no make up at all.

I do, however scrub up quite nicely when I get to go out for a night out - although that is not that often these days! lol But if I get to go out I will do the full works with my make up and what I'm wearing etc.

As for perfumes - My collecion is building up slowly but surely so before long I may become a perfume diva! A perfume diva is probably the only type of diva I will ever be though.

It has been quite interesting reading about all of you, it almost felt like peeking into houses when you are walking down a street in a foreign city. Loved it!

Now, about me. I'm older than most of you, probably, but I still feel very divaish. I love clothes, shoes and handbags. I took an early retirement package last year but I still never, ever, go out (except when I walk early in the morning) without makeup, coordinated clothes, and perfume. As a matter of fact, I wear makeup even when staying home all day or working in my yard. I am originally from Cuba and I really think this is ingrained in me. I get my hair cut every 4-5 weeks. I color it myself (no patience for doing this at the hairdresser) at about the same interval. I get a manicure and pedicure every 3 weeks. In between, I change the color in my hands which I now keep fairly short.
    I don't wear jeans much these days except for black jeans but only in the winter...too hot in Miami for that. I gave away all but maybe 3 suits when I retired. I am planning to go back to work this summer but I don't think I'll ever don the high-powered suits anymore. Jewelry is an important part of my life, I always wear something and I also make necklaces and bracelets which I give to family and friends and also sell.

I feel particularly good today about a handbag I scored yesterday. I had been wanting a red patent leather handbag (not bright red, but more rust/burgundyish) since last Fall but did not want to pay the exhorbitant prices. I got myself a beauty by Francesco Biasi and it only cost me $49!!!

a most entertainting thread, i must say.

in all reality, i'm a what you could say, a lazy dresser. t-shirts and shorts and flipflops most of the time. i'm a beah bum really. i spend a bit of time on the beach, on boats, and under the water, so i dno't put much effort into how i look. i'm also quite famous for the beater and boxers look when i'm bumming around the house.

a few years ago, i was more into the goth look, but in south florida, all that black gets miserable real quick. I still occassionally wear the pants with leg straps accross them, but that's mostly when i go to a rock or punk show. when i worked at a stylish shoe store, i aquired many fancy shoes that i no longer wear. i love me some tall boots, but again, in florida, its too hot. i also love me some high heels but i just don't see a point in getting dressed up to go to the mall, plus its gotten to the point after a few hours in them, my ankles hurt.

i rarely wear much more make up other than lipstick and lipliner which is either a pinkish brownish shade, pink, or the most perfect shade of red EVER Chanel "Fire" with a mac liner who's name escapes me.

i wear a lot of jewelry and if i don't have all of my usually stuff on i feel naked. always at least 8 rings, a bracelet, a necklace, and 3.5 pairs of earrings. much of it is silver, with some gold here and there, all three shades of it.

but, even in my most beach bummy look, i always smell really good.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

from a male perspective:

I always have a weird quasi beard
    I wash my hair like... once every 5 days (at the worst, once every 2 at best and usually somewhere in between)
    My hair is past my shoulders and I haven't cut in a loooong time
    I havent washed my jeans since late december, I wear only one pair. everyday.
    I do wash my socks!

However

I wear "the worlds most famous" watch everyday, with a diamond bezel
    My belt is hand stitched ostrich
    And I wear only the most high end or discontinued perfumes/fragrances.

im diva "derelicte"

Well, if one guy's said something about his 'diva-ness' I can too!

I don't really know what I am, I scrub up really well, and i've received a fair share of compliments when actually taking care, and some when not caring at all. I have a negative view of what a 'diva' is, I can imagine them being someone that follows trends, and goes over the top. I do neither, so I suppose i'm not.

I appreciate fine quality stuff, and refuse to wear 'cheap' stuff (slightly diva-ish) My first suit was a D&G suit, and for my 16th Birthday, i'm looking at getting a Dior Homme suit, and maybe a good quality tuxedo (don't want to invest in an amazing one yet (i.e. Zegna/RL Purple/Black Label), because I'm hoping i'll still grow taller :P) This is mainly because my parents are both in the Indian couture business, and they appreciate fine quality, along with modern and trendy cuts, that can still be counted as timeless. - A bit glam, but everyones allowed to indulge, right?

Normal clothing wise, it's an old leather jacket that was made with aged leather from an old jacket that my dad used to own by an Italian tailor that my family knows, so it's like bespoke, without the fancy associations. It's fantastic though, and the patina is amazing! I wear normal t-shirts, with designer polos(I like polos) AMcQ, D&G, Raf Simons, Dries van Noten and so on. I have three pairs of good quality denim Dior Homme, 21" Rise, Dark Blue. Prada Black denim and another pair of faded blue Nudies (don't like anymore) - So that's hardly 'glam'

Watch/accesory wise, all I have is two watches, a Rado, and an Emporio-Armani watch, for my Birthday, i'm getting a Black Chanel J12. Not very fancy, wallet/bag wise, I just use stuff from top-man, but I do have a hand-me-down Black Hermes wallet and a Gucci monogrammed wallet. - Once again, more 'glam' than some, but not really.

Hair-wise: Messy mini-mop sort of thing going on, can brush up nicely though - Not glam either

Skincare wise: Currently, Dior Homme range, the moisturiser, serum, under-eye pen, mask and exfoliant and a REN natural cleanser. Skincare, is one thing I do indulge in, simply because I have to, as I do drama, close-to-perfect skin is a must, simply because of the lighting and me not agreeing to having my face foundationed, powdered and 'groomed', i'll agree to tinted moisturiser mixed in with more moisuriser on play nights, if my skin isn't as good as it should be. Attitude wise, Diva, not really glam otherwise though (heck, i'm not wearing makeup)

Thats really it though, I do have a knack for nice food and gadgets, unfortunately, i've got to lay off the nice food, I broke my leg into three pieces some 6 months back, and haven't been able to do much exercise, and won't be able to do gym stuff and rugby for another 3 months! Hence the 32" denim being tight, as I'm up to about 34" now (its okay, simply because I just soak and dry clean my denim, hence it doesn't shrink) So overall, not really glam or diva, just a bit over-indulgent!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Well, if one guy's said something about his 'diva-ness' I can too!

I don't really know what I am, I scrub up really well, and i've received a fair share of compliments when actually taking care, and some when not caring at all. I have a negative view of what a 'diva' is, I can imagine them being someone that follows trends, and goes over the top. I do neither, so I suppose i'm not.

I appreciate fine quality stuff, and refuse to wear 'cheap' stuff (slightly diva-ish) My first suit was a D&G suit, and for my 16th Birthday, i'm looking at getting a Dior Homme suit, and maybe a good quality tuxedo (don't want to invest in an amazing one yet (i.e. Zegna/RL Purple/Black Label), because I'm hoping i'll still grow taller :P) This is mainly because my parents are both in the Indian couture business, and they appreciate fine quality, along with modern and trendy cuts, that can still be counted as timeless. - A bit glam, but everyones allowed to indulge, right?

Normal clothing wise, it's an old leather jacket that was made with aged leather from an old jacket that my dad used to own by an Italian tailor that my family knows, so it's like bespoke, without the fancy associations. It's fantastic though, and the patina is amazing! I wear normal t-shirts, with designer polos(I like polos) AMcQ, D&G, Raf Simons, Dries van Noten and so on. I have three pairs of good quality denim Dior Homme, 21" Rise, Dark Blue. Prada Black denim and another pair of faded blue Nudies (don't like anymore) - So that's hardly 'glam'

Watch/accesory wise, all I have is two watches, a Rado, and an Emporio-Armani watch, for my Birthday, i'm getting a Black Chanel J12. Not very fancy, wallet/bag wise, I just use stuff from top-man, but I do have a hand-me-down Black Hermes wallet and a Gucci monogrammed wallet. - Once again, more 'glam' than some, but not really.

Hair-wise: Messy mini-mop sort of thing going on, can brush up nicely though - Not glam either

Skincare wise: Currently, Dior Homme range, the moisturiser, serum, under-eye pen, mask and exfoliant and a REN natural cleanser. Skincare, is one thing I do indulge in, simply because I have to, as I do drama, close-to-perfect skin is a must, simply because of the lighting and me not agreeing to having my face foundationed, powdered and 'groomed', i'll agree to tinted moisturiser mixed in with more moisuriser on play nights, if my skin isn't as good as it should be. Attitude wise, Diva, not really glam otherwise though (heck, i'm not wearing makeup)

Thats really it though, I do have a knack for nice food and gadgets, unfortunately, i've got to lay off the nice food, I broke my leg into three pieces some 6 months back, and haven't been able to do much exercise, and won't be able to do gym stuff and rugby for another 3 months! Hence the 32" denim being tight, as I'm up to about 34" now (its okay, simply because I just soak and dry clean my denim, hence it doesn't shrink) So overall, not really glam or diva, just a bit over-indulgent!
    hey Vivek, you sound like a cool kid, I never knew you were so young. You kinda remind me or me at your age! If I could suggest a tuxedo for you it would a be a vintage mid 90's Versace couture! wow are they ever great suits, I got one for my 18th birthday (2002) and I still wear it. In terms of the watches I beg beg beg you not to get the Chanel j12, your Rado is an excellent quality timepiece, the Chanel is just a watch put out by a fashion house looking to earn a few extra dollars! If I could humbly suggest looking into: Tudor, Vacheron, Rolex, Baume et Mercier, Longines - perhaps some other basenoters could offer suggestions as I am not a watch expert but I have learned the rule that one should always buy a watch from a watchmaker, not a fashion house! My rolex that I mentioned earlier was made in the late 50's with the automatic movement still running perfectly and it still looks brand new - the only thing I have done since my uncle gave it to me is add the diamond dial to make it a bit more relevant for this day and age.
    anyways yea! your a very well spoken guy, love reading your posts - I noticed you have some bottle splits in your sig - do you mind if I PM you with some suggestion ?

Talking Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    hey Vivek, you sound like a cool kid, I never knew you were so young. You kinda remind me or me at your age! If I could suggest a tuxedo for you it would a be a vintage mid 90's Versace couture! wow are they ever great suits, I got one for my 18th birthday (2002) and I still wear it. In terms of the watches I beg beg beg you not to get the Chanel j12, your Rado is an excellent quality timepiece, the Chanel is just a watch put out by a fashion house looking to earn a few extra dollars! If I could humbly suggest looking into: Tudor, Vacheron, Rolex, Baume et Mercier, Longines - perhaps some other basenoters could offer suggestions as I am not a watch expert but I have learned the rule that one should always buy a watch from a watchmaker, not a fashion house! My rolex that I mentioned earlier was made in the late 50's with the automatic movement still running perfectly and it still looks brand new - the only thing I have done since my uncle gave it to me is add the diamond dial to make it a bit more relevant for this day and age.
    anyways yea! your a very well spoken guy, love reading your posts - I noticed you have some bottle splits in your sig - do you mind if I PM you with some suggestion ?
    Go for the suggestions, pop me a PM anytime! I am aware about watches, and my dad is an avid timepiece collector, my dream watch would be a Franck Muller (small swiss company) Black Gold Master Banker with a black, and black alligator strap(s) - but that would be a set back of about £7000, and i'd rather buy a crappy car! (My parents are paying for lessons, but they're anti-car so they won't be buying me a car, lol!) My other would be a Patek Phillipe Gondola, which i'd love to have My dad has a Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle, which i'll have passed down to me one day !

I agree with you on the J-12, i'm just looking for a less dressy-uppy black ceramic watch (my rado is Black and Gold, with diamond hour markers, which I don't like!), but recently, i've been thinking about buying 1 or 2 Nixon watches, as they're quite cool.

Tux-wise at the moment, i've got a Marks & Spencer run of the mill tux, which I got tailored to fit properly, so it looks much better than it is Thanks for the compliments

Go for the suggestions, pop me a PM anytime! I am aware about watches, and my dad is an avid timepiece collector, my dream watch would be a Franck Muller (small swiss company) Black Gold Master Banker with a black, and black alligator strap(s) - but that would be a set back of about £7000, and i'd rather buy a crappy car! (My parents are paying for lessons, but they're anti-car so they won't be buying me a car, lol!) My other would be a Patek Phillipe Gondola, which i'd love to have My dad has a Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle, which i'll have passed down to me one day !

I agree with you on the J-12, i'm just looking for a less dressy-uppy black ceramic watch (my rado is Black and Gold, with diamond hour markers, which I don't like!), but recently, i've been thinking about buying 1 or 2 Nixon watches, as they're quite cool.

Tux-wise at the moment, i've got a Marks & Spencer run of the mill tux, which I got tailored to fit properly, so it looks much better than it is Thanks for the compliments
    nixon watches are actually awesome, I know theyre cheap but I was just over in Sweden on a half year university exchange, and my neighbour this cool french guy had a nixon. I kept borrowing it off him and loaning him mine because it felt nice on my arm hahah

ok I don't want to hijack this persons thread and veer it off course so I will PM you

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

I'm diva only for perfumes & accessories, bags, shoes, lingerie and carrés Hermès.
    I wear very simple, usually black. No make up, only lipstick, short hairs.
    My watch is a Swatch. I'd like a Cape cod , but I'm a greenhouse keeper, I'd spoil it
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Exclamation Re: Are you a diva in scent only or all-around glam?

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    I'd like a Cape cod , but I'm a greenhouse keeper, I'd spoil it
    Ahh, get one! They're fantastic, my moms got one, with about 12 different straps for it, in all the different leathers that Hermes makes, maybe a strap made in a leather like Chevre {or one of the grainy ones, Togo?) rather than Boxcalf wouldn't get damaged?

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Ahh, get one! They're fantastic, my moms got one, with about 12 different straps for it, in all the different leathers that Hermes makes, maybe a strap made in a leather like Chevre {or one of the grainy ones, Togo?) rather than Boxcalf wouldn't get damaged?
    No way, I killed many watches before Swatch :-(
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
    I think that a high-end perfume can only show its real effect when used as a wrap-up of the "whole package". Nice perfume and T-shirt/blue jeans/casual-modern style...would never work for me. When like this, just apply some deodorant and be clean. Perfume calls for a taller order.
    I don't necessarily think so.

I think it all boils down to wearing something that you think smells pleasant to you, whether you're in black tie, nice blouse, or nice t-shirt and jeans.

I don't see the value in wasting a bottle of nice smelling perfume that I like just because I'm not "dressed up enough" to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen81 View Post
    I don't necessarily think so.

I think it all boils down to wearing something that you think smells pleasant to you, whether you're in black tie, nice blouse, or nice t-shirt and jeans.

I don't see the value in wasting a bottle of nice smelling perfume that I like just because I'm not "dressed up enough" to wear it.
    Agreed.
    However, I'm not a visual thinker. I smell "personalities", rather than fabrics and such; closest I come is a color or light/dark, heavy, sheer. I don't tend to use perfume as an accessory...actually, I don't really tend to accessorize at all. Yet, I'm quick to slap on a bit of Coco parfum when the mood strikes- with my jeans.
    Last edited by leffleur; 2nd April 2008 at 03:06 AM.