Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy's L'Interdit: Re-Re-Re formulated?

What's going on?
    Is my nose going through some changes? or is it playing games with me?

The new limited ed. of L'Interdit -from Les parfums mythiques line- smells different from the 90s and early 2000s (i believe it was reformulated once more around in the 90s time only they didn't say) version of it. Needless to say, these 2 smell very different from the original ('57) !

In short: the parfums mithyque version has a less pronounced "berry" note and a bit more longevity than the 2000s version and it lacks some aldehydes as well. It feels fresher but it lasts longer.

Am I wrong?

cheers
    Last edited by castorpollux; 12th December 2007 at 06:31 PM.

Default Re: Givenchy's L'Interdit: Re-Re-Re formulated?

I 've been going through the same re-re-reformulations drama with my beloved En Avion. I have old vintage, mid-90s bottles, early 2000s and post 2005. the old vintages are strong on the animalic notes so I love the mid 90s version better, the latest reformulation (2007) is truly horrible, I 'm in the process to write Caron to complain because it 's such a disgrace.

Givenchy is part of LVMH so I'm not surprised: nothing is sacred to them.

FWIW, I have a bottle of L'Interdit EDT from the 70s and a bottle of the newest reformulation. At least to my own nose, they are virtually identical. YMMV of course.

I wore my vintage the day I went to Nordstrom to try the newer version and let me tell you, even the saleswoman was amazed at the difference. She said, "If I had not smelt it myself, I would never have believed you. These could be two entirely different perfumes." But, as we know about the evil art of the reformulation, they are different.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

To my knowledge, there were two reformulations of L'Interdit. One was in 2000, maybe a little earlier, where the bottle shape and boxes were changed along with the scent itself but the same red and gold motif was used. This was also when the parfum was discontinued, as were the bath products. The second was when the whole "Mythiques" shtick got launched. That's when all the Givenchy scents doomed to be in this series got put into nearly identical bottles and boxes.

You know what made me laugh (bitterly)? After all the song and dance Nordstrom put out about how exclusive the Mythiques line was (and after hearing several s/a's putting forth bull excrement about how they were the "original, historic" formulas), the Mythiques made it onto the discount websites with record speed.