Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Scent Bar (Luckyscent.com) Holiday Party this Saturday 12pm-7pm

I am traveling to L.A. to visit my Mom and Dad tomorrow through Sunday - and I am looking forward to relaxing, seeing my family and also visiting Scent Bar for the 1st time.

Coincidentally, I received an email from Luckyscent today that they'll be hosting a Holiday Party on Saturday from noon to 7pm to celebrate the holiday season and to introduce the new biehl parfumkunstwerke line of fragrances (you can read about our Basenoters who've posted about them here and here). I have not smelled any of the biehl line (Luckyscent lists thirteen fragrances - how very Tom Ford of them, no?) and it should make a fantastic trip to the Scent Bar an even more overwhelming experience!

Inner voice: I will not buy 5 bottles, I will not buy 5 bottles...

If any Basenoters in the LA area plan on attending post here, and maybe we could meet & greet while I'm there..?

:wave:
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th December 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: Scent Bar (Luckyscent.com) Holiday Party this Saturday 12pm-7pm

I plan on stopping by, but the place is pretty small for a huge gathering. I don't think the back wall is more then five feet from the counter and the place is maybe 20 feet long.

Par-TAY!

Welcome to L.A. Mike. I hope you have a good visit.

I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, actually, but if I do I will try to prevent you from buying 5 bottles...by stealing your wallet and using your credit cards to load up on stuff for myself. Still, Simon Moon is definitely the man to ask about budget frag hunting Downtown. And look through the local shopping forum for socalwoman's post listing just about every retail frag shop in the L.A. area.

::looks at luckyscent website to choose scents for mikeperez to unwittingly buy for me::

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Hey Mike, I envy your trip to Scent Bar. Here's my vote for the biehl fragrances you should try and report back to us all about: eo02, gs02, and mb03. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    Par-TAY!
    Simon Moon is definitely the man to ask about budget frag hunting Downtown. And look through the local shopping forum for socalwoman's post listing just about every retail frag shop in the L.A. area.
    Wow, I should look again then for that post. I live in Los Angeles and am tired of Perfumania and Mall Frag Shops as my only place to go.

I need good deals!

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys

MiaKulpa you'll have to get past the switchblade in my pocket (you know how us Puerto Rican's are!) Thanks for the tip but I already read and re-read all of the LA shopping area recommendations and posts. Let's see how I can squeeze all of this in one four day trip.

Thanks Tony for the biehl rec's.

City of Angels - here I come!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th December 2007 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am traveling to L.A. to visit my Mom and Dad tomorrow through Sunday - and I am looking forward to relaxing, seeing my family and also visiting Scent Bar for the 1st time.

Coincidentally, I received an email from Luckyscent today that they'll be hosting a Holiday Party on Saturday from noon to 7pm to celebrate the holiday season and to introduce the new biehl parfumkunstwerke line of fragrances (you can read about our Basenoters who've posted about them here and here). I have not smelled any of the biehl line (Luckyscent lists thirteen fragrances - how very Tom Ford of them, no?) and it should make a fantastic trip to the Scent Bar an even more overwhelming experience!

Inner voice: I will not buy 5 bottles, I will not buy 5 bottles...

If any Basenoters in the LA area plan on attending post here, and maybe we could meet & greet while I'm there..?

:wave:
    I wish I could makes this, but I have 2 other engagements that day

I love that place! The best source of artisan fragrances in LA.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    Par-TAY!

Welcome to L.A. Mike. I hope you have a good visit.

I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, actually, but if I do I will try to prevent you from buying 5 bottles...by stealing your wallet and using your credit cards to load up on stuff for myself. Still, Simon Moon is definitely the man to ask about budget frag hunting Downtown. And look through the local shopping forum for socalwoman's post listing just about every retail frag shop in the L.A. area.

::looks at luckyscent website to choose scents for mikeperez to unwittingly buy for me::

Thanks for the props Mia!
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 13th December 2007 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I wasn't planning to go to this but maybe now I will . . . !

Mike:

Remember to tell Franco about adding Domenica Caraceni signature fragrance to his stable of goodies. Have fun and report back on the party.

;0)

I met mike perez and other half @ scent bar! too bad I was too rushed to bring digital camera

Basenotes Institution

Sorry for the delay in posting this...visiting Scent Bar was amazing!

My boyfriend and I got a little lost, walking over from the Beverly Center (the 'mall' around the corner where I parked) but soon enough I saw the little dark awning and the blue and white walls with the door open. Champagne was flowing, the thirteen biehl bottles were all set up on the front counter and Franco and the Scent Bar Posse (and few guests here-and-there) kept it lively, silly and fun. How else would you a Basenoter kill two hours on a Saturday night in L.A.?

What'd I smell...where do I begin? In no particular order whatsoever:

- Fumidus by Profumum. WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN? This stuff is incredible!! Lovers of Yatagan by Caron, Patchouli 24 by Le Labo, single malt scotch and cigars and everyone in between - PLEASE try this stuff. Franco (the owner) couldn't believe that I'd never smelled it and just one small spray filled the entire store with the smell of this strong, invasive and commanding scent. If Aragron from Lord of The Rings could be encapsulated in a scent, it would be Fumidus. Michael (sloan_8013) has been casually talking aobut this for a short time now. Believe the hype. Amazing.
    - Skarb. I really wanted to buy this. I actually waited until I had sampled everything before I applied the Skarb, just to be able to give it my full attention. However there is a top note that sadly reminded me of standing water (I've encountered this mysterious note in Fahrenheit 32 by Dior and Secretions Magnifiques by ELdO where it grossed me out) and I tried to smell past this note but I couldn't. Extremely disappointed.
    - the biehl line. mb03 I posted about on supermarkys thread here - the other that grabbed me was al02. In fact practically every customer that smelled al02 at Scent Bar (while I was there) liked it the best. A fantastic and unique take on floral. Nothing on the market smells like this. Good stuff. The other eleven (or ten...can't remember) I didn't smell
    - Querelle by Parfumerie Generale - um...I didn't 'get' it. I swear I sniffed my arm ALL NIGHT waiting for this stuff to take off on my skin and it never did. Hmm...
    - Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - I expected a much more stronger cinnamon note on my skin. Instead I got a light cinnamon top note that was instantly charged by candied oranges. Not candy like Hermes Elixir des Merveilles candy. No, more like Skittles orange candy. With cinnamon. Weird.

A few scents (when I ran out of arm space) I smelled on paper strips including:

- Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale - this one has potential...the cinnamon in the top is of the Red Hot variety and I go bananas over hot cinnamon top notes. Want to smell this on my skin way soon!
    - Volo AZ 686 by Profumum - why does this smell like Mr. Clean All Purpose Cleaner? Maybe it was nose fatigue but, c'mon. Kinda icky.
    - Joy Comes from Within by Creative Scentualization - I smelled this on my boyfriend and it smelled really nice and green/floral but I think I really don't need another transparent fragarance like this one
    - The two new Lubins: Vetiver is BEAUTIFUL and if I wasn't already at my vetiver quota in my wardrobe I could easily see owning this; L'Eau Neuve is alternatively citrus and aromatic which can either be extremely fresh and uplifting or annoying. I'm not sure which one this is yet.
    - Caravelle Epicee by Frapin - I think I liked it. But by that point...my nose was fatigued. Must smell this again soon. But now that I'm thinking, do I really need to fall in love with another $140 fragrance?!

In addition to the sniffathon I was performing I got to meet, chat and just generally be silly with supermarky, my boyfriend and Franco and the Scent Bar posse. We talked about the website, future plans for perhaps selling atomizers, funny stories from their trade show in Paris (they love Olivier Durbano and said he's a true gentleman...evident by the fact that they were SOLD OUT of Black Tourmaline when I was there), stories of Andy Tauer and his events he's had at Scent Bar and the back story behind Andy's Orris scent - and lot's of other silly nonsense. A good time was had by all! Well, you know what I mean...

I walked out with two bottles: Cinnamon and Peppermint by Comme des Garcons (Sherbet Series). I just can't find this in Miami. In addition I got lots of samples and I walked out into the night with a big smile on my face! I want to live at Scent Bar.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th December 2007 at 08:08 AM.

Mike: Am I misreading your report: was this event poorly attended? You said "few guests".

Joe

I think it's great that you could meet a fellow basenoter away from the computer! Did you and supermarky know each other previously? Each time I go to the Macy's counters now, I often wonder... hmmm could he or she be a basenotes junky too?! :-)
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Mike: Am I misreading your report: was this event poorly attended? You said "few guests".

Joe
    Well supermarky and I didn't get there until the evening - I'd say while we were there, at least 10-12 people came and went.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I think it's great that you could meet a fellow basenoter away from the computer! Did you and supermarky know each other previously? Each time I go to the Macy's counters now, I often wonder... hmmm could he or she be a basenotes junky too?! :-)
    No Chris and I had never met - it was very cool and fun, especially smelling things together with him at the same time. It was instant, educated and non-biased feedback - which is I think what all Basenoters crave when we scent shop.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th December 2007 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Fumidus by Profumum. WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN? This stuff is incredible!! Lovers of Yatagan by Caron, Patchouli 24 by Le Labo, single malt scotch and cigars and everyone in between - PLEASE try this stuff. Franco (the owner) couldn't believe that I'd never smelled it and just one small spray filled the entire store with the smell of this strong, invasive and commanding scent. If Aragron from Lord of The Rings could be encapsulated in a scent, it would be Fumidus. Michael (sloan_8013) has been casually talking aobut this for a short time now. Believe the hype. Amazing.
    Thanks for that...sounds yummy..popping this one onto my "to try" list....