Code of Conduct

Default Cuir Mauresque - exactly how awesome is it?

1. Awesome

2. So awesome!

3. Totally awesome!!!

4. So Totally frickin' awesome!!!!

Ok, kidding, I'll spare you the poll, but hot damn, I finally, finally, finally managed to get my hands on a bottle of this after dimples so graciously sent me a small sample vial of it a long time ago, causing my dreams to be haunted with smells of suede soaked in spicy orange preserves.

The spices are of the kind that make orange heavy and thick, vs fresh and airy. I detect cinnamon, and I think clove as well.

I sold my sarrasins, and went though shopinfrance who buys it in Paris and then takes a 10% markup plus paypal fees. Got it right away, and have as of yet managed to not drink it...

So long lasting, so three dimensional. Rather linear, but when something's that good, you don't want it to morph into something else! If anything after a time it becomes a warm glow on your skin, and it's heaven all the way through.

Ahhhh.

Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 12th December 2007 at 11:49 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Default Re: Cuir Mauresque - exactly how awesome is it?

WOW!!! Never fortunate enough to inhale it but you surely make me wish I could. There are so many SLs that are so freakin' awesome!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    WOW!!! Never fortunate enough to inhale it but you surely make me wish I could. There are so many SLs that are so freakin' awesome!

Dan
    Every tried Caron Tabac Blond? Imagine Tabac Blond with a low intensity incense base instead of a vanilla drydown, a less potent leather note, and some standard lutens sweet notes. Beware: On some skin types Cuir Mauresque transforms into a more sweets and fruits potion instead of a perfectly balanced sweet leather scent.
    Last edited by zztopp; 13th December 2007 at 12:32 AM.
    -

I have to lodge an official protest against comparing Tabac Blond with Cuir Mauresque!

Along with the Cuir Mauresque sample and others, Dimple also sent me Tabac Blond enthusiastic that I'd like it. I can't remember it precisely, but my impession of it was that it smelled like the toxic chemical spray that you use to weatherproof suede, and it was just lound and obnoxious. I tried a few times since it's such a classice, but I had to wash it off each time until the sample was used up.

Meanwhile Cuir Mauresque was love at first breath, and it was true love forever at that!

It is very orange-confectiony for sure, and like most leathers, I wouldn't call it a leather but a suede. It's that velvety furry musk combo that I love in good leathers, with an orange spicy glow.

If only Sarrasins had used this suede base instead of the civet/scrote note, I would be raving about that one too.

The only "leather" scent that I've tried that actually smells like leather to me is Aoud Cuir d'Arabie.

But anyhow, I wouldn't recommend that Tabac Blond lovers or haters base their impresson of CM on that fragrance as I don't see them having much in common.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 13th December 2007 at 12:41 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I have to lodge an official protest against comparing Tabac Blond with Cuir Mauresque!...
    I've got to agree here. Yes, they're both "leather" scents, but beyond that? Not much in common. Tabac Blond is an aggressively potent, smoky leather with a fair amount of birch tar and tobacco leaf. Cuir Mauresque (at least on me,) is a soft, sweet, spiced leather. The drydowns, to the extent the relatively linear Cuir Mauresque has one, also go in different directions. If you like one, you will not necessarily like the other.

The incense attracts me... but the candy-orange scares me away. It's on my "to sample" list, so I guess I'll just have to wait and find out...

Basenotes Institution

Leopoldo sent me a sample - and honestly I'm afraid to try it because I think I might like it too much. When I walk into my closet where I keep my fragrances I glance at it and think...'I can't try it today, I'll wait 'til tomorrow....' Now your post caeser has me even more frightened. Eveyy note you described I love. In fact if you ask me at this very moment, what my favorite notes are they would be: leather, orange, clove and cinnamon.

Perhaps I'll explode when I finally get to try CM.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th December 2007 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I've got to agree here. Yes, they're both "leather" scents, but beyond that? Not much in common. Tabac Blond is an aggressively potent, smoky leather with a fair amount of birch tar and tobacco leaf. Cuir Mauresque (at least on me,) is a soft, sweet, spiced leather. The drydowns, to the extent the relatively linear Cuir Mauresque has one, also go in different directions. If you like one, you will not necessarily like the other.
    My impressions are based on wearing 10mls of each. If you dont like the potent leather note in Tabac Blond, then CM might be an easier wear but for sure they both use the same type of leather note. Maybe its skin chemistry or maybe we are catching different things, but I have seen the comparison made by many other people as well. It all depends on how much the candied orange peel in CM comes out on your skin.
    Last edited by zztopp; 13th December 2007 at 03:19 AM.
    -

Cuir Mauresque is my favorite leather fragrance. It contains amber, myrrh, burnt styrax, incense, cinnamon, aloe wood, cedar, civet, nutmeg, clove, cumin, musk, mandarin peel, orange blossom. Wears like the setting sun, a slow warm fade of notes that blend seamlessly as they settle into my skin. One of the best I have ever worn.

OK, nothing compares to you, Cuir Mauresque?
    Well, try to find out more:
    A fleur de peau by Keikomecheri - well, it`s niche but quite popular online
    one of Centaure Pierre Cardin serie (red horsehead as a stopper) - still 32 euro per 50 ml bottle in Paris
    Ombre de la Nuit by Ungaro - really hard to find

flowery balsam-n-spices leathers are not unique at all - they just a little more rare
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Ah, I never said there's nothing similar, but nothing I've tried!

I'll take note of these for when my bottle runs out.

The Pierre Cardin sells for like $15 on ebay! I haven't tried any Pierre Cardins since I was a little kid. Are they made of good quality ingredients, or run at the hill designer stuff that smells like a toxic waste spill after d few hours?

How do you like it? And the fleur de Peau? Would you say these are as good as Mauresque?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Ah, I never said there's nothing similar, but nothing I've tried!

I'll take note of these for when my bottle runs out.

The Pierre Cardin sells for like $15 on ebay! I haven't tried any Pierre Cardins since I was a little kid. Are they made of good quality ingredients, or run at the hill designer stuff that smells like a toxic waste spill after d few hours?

How do you like it? And the fleur de Peau? Would you say these are as good as Mauresque?
    Well, Pierre Cardin Centaure Cuir Ideal - you could read it )) quite a good and longlasting stuff!
    a fleur de peau is simpler. But it`s a wild thing.
    Ombre de la Nuit Ungaro is very rare as it was made by Jacques Polge for Emmanuel Ungaro himself as his personal scent. Civet and jasmine are obvious as leather

They all lack of that signature SL sweetness - but are original.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I have had a saved search for the cardin but spelled cantaur without an e at the end. So there they all are, but not the red one!

don't forget to try CM with CDG Tar, cause CM is not linear but tar will make it more so.

I was becoming a little sick of CM but now again am desperately in love with it.

And the fleur de Peau? Would you say these are as good as Mauresque?
    I own a FB of A Fleur de Peau and a decant of Cuir Mauresque. They're definitely related scents and I love both - though not equally. My vote goes to Cuir Mauresque, which is slightly sweeter and spicier than the FdP.
    I have a feeling there's a bell bottle of CM in my near future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thanks Lady - I'm going to stay ignorant and keep to CM - my policy on fragrance is the less I know, the less I want!

Tar? Sounds wild!

And Mike - if you don't want to spend $150, or more likely $175 via a service, then don't smell Cuir Mauresque, cause once you do you will not rest until you have some, as evidenced by Lady in Black's comment and her wardrobe avatar!

Hey, I tried to change mine to CM, but it doesn't seem to work!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread