Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Diet philosophy?

Not sure if this belongs here or off topic. Let's say vanity then, since eating isn't always pragmatic. So, how do you maintain your shape?

I've been a vegetarian for about 3 years, vegan for several months. I've been eating pretty much anything and as much as I want that's vegan, and I've still lost a couple pounds. I'd like to cut out sugar, but I think that'd be a bit too much of a shock to the system and the pocketbook.

Anyway, I'm interested in your regime or lack thereof

Default Re: Diet philosophy?

I eat six times a day,not concerned about me weight too much.I stay active and get to the gym 5 times a week as well,drink half my weight in ounces of water a day.And eat combinations of protein/fats or protein/carbs 5 servings of veggies a day.I saty away from sugar as well.A good site to check is precisionutrition.com and for workouts t-nation.com.
    Last edited by stormtrooper; 13th December 2007 at 05:08 PM.

I eat basically everything i want, and i eat junk and sweets on weekends...but i exercise everysingledayoftheweek.
    I swim, run, do weights, you name it.
    I don't like to count calories, but i try to do as much as i can until i "feel" they've been burnt off.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 14th December 2007 at 12:15 AM.

Being a sometimes starving student, I have no diet philosophy. I have no set mealtimes, I eat anything from between one and four meals a day, and sometimes snacks count as meals (the other night I had three granola bars for dinner). I eat more junk than I should, and especially when I'm stressed out all I want is fatty, salty stuff. I have never exercised any degree of portion control, I just eat until I'm stuffed and then sometimes a little more. I've scared boyfriends with how much I can put down. I go for a run whenever I start to feel really guilty, and that's about once every three weeks. I'm lucky to have a very fast metabolism that is also flexible to deal with my horrible eating habits, but I'm dreading the day when my metabolism gives out and I start to resemble a beached whale. I'm even more afraid of what I'm doing to my heart and arteries! I just keep promising myself that when I have a regular 9-5 job, I'll eat healthier and exercise regularly, but that remains to be seen... I'm just not motivated to make any changes at the moment, because for now at least, I remain stick skinny no matter what I do.
    Last edited by sunshowers; 16th December 2007 at 05:46 AM.

I'm on a Seefood diet: I see food and I eat it.
    I don't recommend it.

I did stop adding sugar and salt long ago to what I ate or drank, and don't miss the taste at all. Sadly, I haven't resisted the urge to eat every bit of cream in front of me. I'm now one and a half times the size I was at 18, but I'm more than twice 18yrs so I'm not doing too bad... I think...

I'd love to be vegetarian/vegan, but in the 3 years that I was, I gained more than 45 pounds. I guess my body is horrible at processing carbs. So, now I eat a lot of salads, usually with salmon or chicken (I hate having to eat chicken - they're treated so poorly), and never any dressing. Every so often, I'll have a burger or a pasta with meat sauce, but I try to avoid meat as much as possible. I've dropped the 45 and then some.

I'm now training for a regional triathalon, so that's helping keep the weight down. I'm not dropping as much as I'd like to, but I'm also getting up there in years (almost 40!), so I guess it's only fair to assume that my already pokey metabolism is slowing and will require more 'attention' from me.

I gain weight just looking at food, so my main goal for each day is to average 1000 calories. Sometimes I go less ( 900 today ), sometimes a little more ( I try to avoid 1200 at all costs ), but I've gotten fairly used to it. I have lost weight, but just a little, in the three months I've been eating like this. I like vegetables and I've cut out sweet foods, so keeping to this plan isn't too hard for me.

I eat smaller quantities and if stay off the desserts, I don't crave them. The only time I gain is when I let my guard down and get into the cookie jar or stop exercising. I dance or do yoga. I *never* buy larger sizes, if I start to gain a few pounds - and I mean a few - I cut back. We have different bodies and metabolisms and if we pay attention and stay in tune, we get on a better routine. Think of it as a way of life, instead of going on yo yo diets.

If you're in college, figure out some healthy snacks and quick meals, buy soups and heat them up in a microwave. That way, you won't cave and eat junk so much. Be sure to have at least one decent meal a day with nutritious ingredients. Soup is one of my mainstays, I love making big pots, but you don't have to cook. I think you'll just feel better generally if what you eat is good for you and you don't neglect that decent meal or two. If you're out and about, Subway has lowfat sandwiches and Burger King sells vegie burgers, now. Try protein bars for a snack instead of granola.

Drinking tea is also good for losing or maintaining weight. I read that oolong is especially good for that and tea can become just as fun to explore as fragrance. I like to shop at uptontea.com, they sell samples of all kinds that are big enough to get a few cups out of. Very cool place. I keep telling myself I'm going to get some "tea for one" pots to encourage us to drink more. It's great for health and longevity, too.

My special *treat* is dark chocolate.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th December 2007 at 02:01 AM.

Good call on the tea, Beachroses. I've not used uptontea.com, but I have used adagio.com and really like them. I had a slight problem with my ingenutea device, and they sent me a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked.

They also have some great sample sets available as well.

I eat 3 small meals with a snack in between, usually.

'Lots of vegetables and whole grains (love brown basmatti), tea (black with milk, or vanilla green from Asagio),water and bits of protein all day. I was vegitarian untill I got pregnant and craved meat (I was anemic), but I don't usually cook it myself. I still eat tofu quite a bit. I tried low carb for about a year, but it wasn't for me. I can't live without toast! LOL!

I will eat a bit of anything that looks good, really. I don't tell myself that I CAN'T eat anything. I just do portion control. I don't feel comfortable living within diet confines. There is so much to experience! I love food. Some of my favorites: Thai (coconut curry tofu), French (I loved eating escargo with my parents, and my father makes the best duck), Itallian (lasagna rolls, hot sausage), Indian (goat in that creamy curry sauce...)White Trash (fried chicken, fried bologna with mustard on sourdough, fried bread with onions), Greek (gyros, grape leaves)...Food is culture.

I exercise a few days a week, but I don't beat myself up if I don't. I do yoga, bellydance, use free weights or my bowflex, but I really love zoning out on the eliptiacal.
    Last edited by lookingglass; 16th December 2007 at 06:08 PM.

I eat fairly healthy (lots and lots of skinless/boneless chicken breasts) and limit myself to at MOST a soda a day (I usually drink about 3 a week.)

Other than that, I work out 3-5 days a week (been more like 3 a week for a while now though, ever since winter has hit). Each workout I burn 700-1500 calories, so that really helps keep me at my desired weight, regardless if I overindulge a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I gain weight just looking at food, so my main goal for each day is to average 1000 calories. Sometimes I go less ( 900 today ), sometimes a little more ( I try to avoid 1200 at all costs ), but I've gotten fairly used to it. I have lost weight, but just a little, in the three months I've been eating like this. I like vegetables and I've cut out sweet foods, so keeping to this plan isn't too hard for me.
    Maybe your body is thinking that you're going into hibernation, so it keeps all the calories inside, stored.
    Do you exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Maybe your body is thinking that you're going into hibernation, so it keeps all the calories inside, stored.
    Do you exercise?
    Not nearly enough, I'm afraid. I walk about two miles each day, and that's about it.

For me a healthy diet is
    the one which can be
    maintained on ongoing basis.

That means, eat daily those foods that you
    actually enjoy and try to get in at least
    5 to 6 servings of
    fruits and veggies a day
    (fresh if possible),
    2 to 3 servings of dairy
    (we choose fat-free),
    at least 6 cups of water,
    and about a teaspoon of healthy oils.

I've mostly cut out all fats.
    We alternate between skinless, boneless
    chicken breast and lean fish,
    but also have salmon at least once a week.
    We eat a lot of rice, whole-grains and couscous.

And that's hubby's and mine philosophy
    on a healthy diet.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I'M BAD. I cave to my hormonal urges I admit it. I do pretty well when I am in school but leave me home to myself and I tend to eat coffee the first half of the day. Then I resort to whatever happens to be in the fridge. Leftovers if I like them. Or toast or ramen if nothing else is in the house. Sometimes I crave eggs. If it is holiday time than watch out. I have cookies w/my coffee and candy from the xmas stockings. I can't wait for the holidays to be over so I can stop eating so crazy. Before I started school I was running 4 or 5 times a week. This was great. I am going to try to start again this semester, because my classes are usually done relatively early int he day atleast wed-friday. So I should take 20 minutes out of my day and go run. at the very least. For me excercise makes a huge difference in my body tone. Without excercise i can't get rid of any excess fat. Hard to explain. I'm not overweight by any means. Slender actually. But the fat creeps in w/out the excercise. Probably because of my erratic diet! And sitting on my butt w/my nose in a book.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Key to my diet has been arranging interesting enough flavors and foods that manage to give the stomach a full feeling. Might glance at calories and fiber content every now and then, but its nothing to obsess over, just maintain a little awareness. Gym about three maybe four times a week. Hm, also like to keep an eye on the contents of sugars within my foods, unlike fats, considering how they've come to be somewhat ubiquitous. And for the single guy, really come to approach IQF veggies, helps to at least get it into your system on a rapid basis.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Do you exercise?
    There's something to that. If you go below 85% of the calorie level your body needs it goes into starvation mode and tries to hang onto every calorie it can. There are also severe psychological consequences of a starvation diet. One pound a week is all doctors recommend in terms of speed of weight loss.
    --------------------------------------
    I have meals twice a day (no breakfast) with snacking at night. Sometimes I have a pseudo-breakfast of a cup of tea and a small piece of chocolate.

I don't eat large amounts of meat on a regular basis and do vegetarian meals and sushi meals regularly. I'm not concerned about my weight per se, but my percentage body fat (I have a Taylor scale that tells me weight, % fat and %water). I work out, but not as often as I should. Trying to find a workout buddy. (I've bought some decent home gym equipment.)

What pushed my weight up was getting a car. Through college I didn't have a car and I had maintained the same weight from 17-25.

Cutting down on alcoholic drinks can reduce your weight a lot. This has worked for multiple members of my family.
    Last edited by radix023; 27th December 2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I eat six small low fat meals per day. I snack on protein bars, unsalted peanuts, pretzels, fruit, I eat plenty of carbs and very few veggies. I exercise 3 days a week for 30 minutes each time and I am able to maintain my weight.

Pescetarian, with a heavy emphasis on phytonutrients, good fats (especially fish oil), probiotics and fiber. Whole grain breads only, with no added sugar. (Ingrid's Kitchen, a wonderful local German Jewish deli/bakery, has excellent healthy breads all the time.)

Very, very limited intake of saturated fats. No trans fats at all. I try to stick to 1,800 calories a day or under, and usually walk between 2 to 4 miles a day. Absolutely no fast food or processed foods. Ironically, though, I love to cook for family and friends, and rich Southern home cooking and dense Irish farmhouse meals are my favorites. (I don't eat it -- I just make it for others.)

Smoothies and juices work really well for me. I use lots of fruit juice concentrate with no added sugars, no sugar probiotic yogurt, fresh leaf spinach, apples, bean sprouts, pears, peaches, kiwi, grapes, cucumbers, carrots, flax seeds, wheat grass (when I can get it), spirulina algae and kale. I've tried broccoli in smoothies, but the distinctive taste is too difficult to conceal. I like all veggies except badly prepared Brussels sprouts and (ick) breaded tomatoes. (If you don't know what this is, don't ask.)

I also eat a lot of legumes, especially black-eyed peas and garbanzo beans. They're both rich in fiber and zinc, and men need extra zinc. I love Lima beans and pinto beans (a Southern boy all the way), but can't eat either and spend any real time around other humans afterward, if you know what I mean. Soybeans have the same effect on me, and this is especially sad because I do love edamame with just a little sesame oil and salt.

My Achilles heel? Chocolate, especially high quality dark varieties and ALL varieties with nuts and/or marzipan. I must avoid it at all costs -- it's essentially what caused my 15 lb. weight gain when I quit smoking. And no, I can neither keep small amounts of it around, nor can I eat it in moderation. I am a certified chocaholic of the worst magnitude -- it is to me what booze is to an alcoholic.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st April 2008 at 03:40 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

TVLampboy-- I love Lima beans and pinto beans (a Southern boy all the way), but can't eat either and spend any real time around other humans afterward, if you know what I mean. Soybeans have the same effect on me, and this is especially sad because I do love edamame with just a little sesame oil and salt.
    Mostly it is the oligosaccharides in the beans that cause the problem. Changing the soak water for dried beans several times (24 hour soak in fridge) seems to take the wind out of the sails for me by allowing the majority of the olegosaccharides to enter the soak water which I dump. Also, Beano works well for me if I think to take it before eating fireworks foods like edamame
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Recently vegan (about a month since I switched). As a result, I'm generally less tired at uni, and it's not as hard for me to fall asleep.

Sugar's still an issue for me. My weight is stable, but then again, it's always been stable. I also think it's important to distance yourself from the "guilt" people sometimes associate with food - It just doesn't strike me as a particularly healthy mindset.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I avoid bad sugars not out of guilt but out of health concerns. I used to have terrible candida that fed on all the simple sugars I put into my body. Also, there's Type II diabetes on both my paternal and maternal sides. As a result (all of the above coupled with potential weight gain and tooth decay), I avoid simple sugars like the plague.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I try to but I'm a chocoholic as well so I fully sympathise. I can't have chocolate in the house - if it's there I will eat all of it.
    I eat a high vegetable diet with good protein (chicken, salmon and sometimes steak - I try to buy free range, ethically farmed meat where possible) and I've tried all sorts of things - did some intermittant fasting recently and ended up gaining bodyfat instead of losing weight like all the people who recommended IF to me did.
    Unfortunately I don't do much better with "healthy" snacks - I can quite easily binge on raisins and nuts. I had to stop buying brazil nuts because I found out you could actually get selenium poisoning on them. You're recommended to eat no more than 4 a day - prefereably 1 or 2. I was inhaling them out of the bag. So they're gone from my regular shopping list, at least for now. Also trying to give up sugar free gum because I've been chewing far too much and am worried about the side effects of aspartame (never mind the nasty indigestion it gives me!)
    I eat very well most of the time but it doesn't take much to push me off the wagon.

My metabolism is insanely fast, so no matter how much I eat, I don't gain weight. I got tired of trying to gain weight with nothing happening, so usually I eat one meal a day (dinner) and then snack occasionally. Your body will get used to a lack of calories (at least mine has) and so I'm usually not hungry either.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

I'm nearly 5'11 and weight 50 kgs. I have a super high metabolism, and it's nearly impossible for me to gain any weight. I've had a relatively tall and lean body frame since I was 8 years old. I eat whatever I want.... oreo ice cream, whoppers at BK and chips were my favorites last week. Most likely as I get older (still fairly young now) my metabolism will slow down, and I'll put on weight, so I'm just trying to enjoy things for now.

I'm a vegetarian, and have been my whole life. I went vegan for about a year when I was a student, but I missed Brie too much.
    I work on the anything in moderation theory, if I totally deprive myself of something I like I'll just eat more of it. I cook everything from scratch, except baked beans, and since I started doing that, that's made a massive difference.
    I go to the gym 2-4 times a week, it'd be 5 if the gym would put in a creche/nursery, and I really love it, which is a big surprise because I never thought I would (school put me off exercise).
    I don't calorie count, I'm quite an obsessive personality and anything like that just makes me even more so (I have tried it once, my husband had to take the calorie book off of me). I'm less bothered about how much I weigh, and more about how healthy I am these days. I had quite a bad birth experience and my lack of fitness really didn't help me, I can happily say that 6 months post I'm much fitter than I was two years ago.

I'm not a vegetarian, however I try to avoid red meat (e.g. pork and beef) because it has lots of saturated fat, among other things. In the right amount and of the right kind, fat has positive effects.

I stick to 1700 calories/day, with 30% of those coming from protein, 40% from carbs, and 30% from fat. (It's called calorie restriction, if that says anything.) Lots of vegetables as well as some fruits, berries and whole grains, lean protein sources, and unsaturated fat (like avocados and olive oil). I also make sure that I get 100% of the RDA values for every vitamin and mineral - not from supplements, but from the food I eat. This means that I only eat the most nutritious of foods. Obviously, this requires a bit of meal planning.
    So that means no sugar, no candy, no fast food, no soft drinks, no alcohol (and of course, no smoking).

I also exercise a bit - mostly biking and brisk walking.
    Last edited by xian; 2nd April 2008 at 12:04 PM.
    Mens omnia vincit

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I try to but I'm a chocoholic as well so I fully sympathise. I can't have chocolate in the house - if it's there I will eat all of it.
    Girl, you and I must be related. Seriously, I'm exactly the same -- I simply can't have it around. PERIOD. If it's around, rest assured that it WILL get gobbled down. I can avoid pies and cakes and fast food and all sorts of stuff with no problems whatsoever. That said, I really don't think that I COULD avoid good chocolate in the house. Bad chocolate? I could avoid that, probably. But good choc? No, not bloody likely. Like you, I just have to keep it out of the house altogether and then all is well.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Stella Doro has some nice cookies that are low fat. I like to dip them in black coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Girl, you and I must be related. Seriously, I'm exactly the same -- I simply can't have it around. PERIOD. If it's around, rest assured that it WILL get gobbled down. I can avoid pies and cakes and fast food and all sorts of stuff with no problems whatsoever. That said, I really don't think that I COULD avoid good chocolate in the house. Bad chocolate? I could avoid that, probably. But good choc? No, not bloody likely. Like you, I just have to keep it out of the house altogether and then all is well.
    I'm the same. I am not tempted by Snickers and Mars bars. My achilles heel is Hotel Chocolat. These are absolutely the best chocolates I have eaten. I like the selection boxes but the chocolate-enrobed fruit (complete with semi-pornographic description) contains enough booze to fail a breath test. Evil evil stuff. There is good and bad news - the good news is that they are now in the US as well as the UK. The bad news is that they are now in the US as well as the UK.