Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Diet philosophy?

Not sure if this belongs here or off topic. Let's say vanity then, since eating isn't always pragmatic. So, how do you maintain your shape?

I've been a vegetarian for about 3 years, vegan for several months. I've been eating pretty much anything and as much as I want that's vegan, and I've still lost a couple pounds. I'd like to cut out sugar, but I think that'd be a bit too much of a shock to the system and the pocketbook.

Anyway, I'm interested in your regime or lack thereof

Default Re: Diet philosophy?

I eat six times a day,not concerned about me weight too much.I stay active and get to the gym 5 times a week as well,drink half my weight in ounces of water a day.And eat combinations of protein/fats or protein/carbs 5 servings of veggies a day.I saty away from sugar as well.A good site to check is precisionutrition.com and for workouts t-nation.com.
    Last edited by stormtrooper; 13th December 2007 at 05:08 PM.

I eat basically everything i want, and i eat junk and sweets on weekends...but i exercise everysingledayoftheweek.
    I swim, run, do weights, you name it.
    I don't like to count calories, but i try to do as much as i can until i "feel" they've been burnt off.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 14th December 2007 at 12:15 AM.

Being a sometimes starving student, I have no diet philosophy. I have no set mealtimes, I eat anything from between one and four meals a day, and sometimes snacks count as meals (the other night I had three granola bars for dinner). I eat more junk than I should, and especially when I'm stressed out all I want is fatty, salty stuff. I have never exercised any degree of portion control, I just eat until I'm stuffed and then sometimes a little more. I've scared boyfriends with how much I can put down. I go for a run whenever I start to feel really guilty, and that's about once every three weeks. I'm lucky to have a very fast metabolism that is also flexible to deal with my horrible eating habits, but I'm dreading the day when my metabolism gives out and I start to resemble a beached whale. I'm even more afraid of what I'm doing to my heart and arteries! I just keep promising myself that when I have a regular 9-5 job, I'll eat healthier and exercise regularly, but that remains to be seen... I'm just not motivated to make any changes at the moment, because for now at least, I remain stick skinny no matter what I do.
    Last edited by sunshowers; 16th December 2007 at 05:46 AM.

I'm on a Seefood diet: I see food and I eat it.
    I don't recommend it.

I did stop adding sugar and salt long ago to what I ate or drank, and don't miss the taste at all. Sadly, I haven't resisted the urge to eat every bit of cream in front of me. I'm now one and a half times the size I was at 18, but I'm more than twice 18yrs so I'm not doing too bad... I think...

I'd love to be vegetarian/vegan, but in the 3 years that I was, I gained more than 45 pounds. I guess my body is horrible at processing carbs. So, now I eat a lot of salads, usually with salmon or chicken (I hate having to eat chicken - they're treated so poorly), and never any dressing. Every so often, I'll have a burger or a pasta with meat sauce, but I try to avoid meat as much as possible. I've dropped the 45 and then some.

I'm now training for a regional triathalon, so that's helping keep the weight down. I'm not dropping as much as I'd like to, but I'm also getting up there in years (almost 40!), so I guess it's only fair to assume that my already pokey metabolism is slowing and will require more 'attention' from me.

I gain weight just looking at food, so my main goal for each day is to average 1000 calories. Sometimes I go less ( 900 today ), sometimes a little more ( I try to avoid 1200 at all costs ), but I've gotten fairly used to it. I have lost weight, but just a little, in the three months I've been eating like this. I like vegetables and I've cut out sweet foods, so keeping to this plan isn't too hard for me.

I eat smaller quantities and if stay off the desserts, I don't crave them. The only time I gain is when I let my guard down and get into the cookie jar or stop exercising. I dance or do yoga. I *never* buy larger sizes, if I start to gain a few pounds - and I mean a few - I cut back. We have different bodies and metabolisms and if we pay attention and stay in tune, we get on a better routine. Think of it as a way of life, instead of going on yo yo diets.

If you're in college, figure out some healthy snacks and quick meals, buy soups and heat them up in a microwave. That way, you won't cave and eat junk so much. Be sure to have at least one decent meal a day with nutritious ingredients. Soup is one of my mainstays, I love making big pots, but you don't have to cook. I think you'll just feel better generally if what you eat is good for you and you don't neglect that decent meal or two. If you're out and about, Subway has lowfat sandwiches and Burger King sells vegie burgers, now. Try protein bars for a snack instead of granola.

Drinking tea is also good for losing or maintaining weight. I read that oolong is especially good for that and tea can become just as fun to explore as fragrance. I like to shop at uptontea.com, they sell samples of all kinds that are big enough to get a few cups out of. Very cool place. I keep telling myself I'm going to get some "tea for one" pots to encourage us to drink more. It's great for health and longevity, too.

My special *treat* is dark chocolate.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th December 2007 at 02:01 AM.

Good call on the tea, Beachroses. I've not used uptontea.com, but I have used adagio.com and really like them. I had a slight problem with my ingenutea device, and they sent me a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked.

They also have some great sample sets available as well.

I eat 3 small meals with a snack in between, usually.

'Lots of vegetables and whole grains (love brown basmatti), tea (black with milk, or vanilla green from Asagio),water and bits of protein all day. I was vegitarian untill I got pregnant and craved meat (I was anemic), but I don't usually cook it myself. I still eat tofu quite a bit. I tried low carb for about a year, but it wasn't for me. I can't live without toast! LOL!

I will eat a bit of anything that looks good, really. I don't tell myself that I CAN'T eat anything. I just do portion control. I don't feel comfortable living within diet confines. There is so much to experience! I love food. Some of my favorites: Thai (coconut curry tofu), French (I loved eating escargo with my parents, and my father makes the best duck), Itallian (lasagna rolls, hot sausage), Indian (goat in that creamy curry sauce...)White Trash (fried chicken, fried bologna with mustard on sourdough, fried bread with onions), Greek (gyros, grape leaves)...Food is culture.

I exercise a few days a week, but I don't beat myself up if I don't. I do yoga, bellydance, use free weights or my bowflex, but I really love zoning out on the eliptiacal.
    Last edited by lookingglass; 16th December 2007 at 06:08 PM.

I eat fairly healthy (lots and lots of skinless/boneless chicken breasts) and limit myself to at MOST a soda a day (I usually drink about 3 a week.)

Other than that, I work out 3-5 days a week (been more like 3 a week for a while now though, ever since winter has hit). Each workout I burn 700-1500 calories, so that really helps keep me at my desired weight, regardless if I overindulge a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I gain weight just looking at food, so my main goal for each day is to average 1000 calories. Sometimes I go less ( 900 today ), sometimes a little more ( I try to avoid 1200 at all costs ), but I've gotten fairly used to it. I have lost weight, but just a little, in the three months I've been eating like this. I like vegetables and I've cut out sweet foods, so keeping to this plan isn't too hard for me.
    Maybe your body is thinking that you're going into hibernation, so it keeps all the calories inside, stored.
    Do you exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Maybe your body is thinking that you're going into hibernation, so it keeps all the calories inside, stored.
    Do you exercise?
    Not nearly enough, I'm afraid. I walk about two miles each day, and that's about it.

For me a healthy diet is
    the one which can be
    maintained on ongoing basis.

That means, eat daily those foods that you
    actually enjoy and try to get in at least
    5 to 6 servings of
    fruits and veggies a day
    (fresh if possible),
    2 to 3 servings of dairy
    (we choose fat-free),
    at least 6 cups of water,
    and about a teaspoon of healthy oils.

I've mostly cut out all fats.
    We alternate between skinless, boneless
    chicken breast and lean fish,
    but also have salmon at least once a week.
    We eat a lot of rice, whole-grains and couscous.

And that's hubby's and mine philosophy
    on a healthy diet.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I'M BAD. I cave to my hormonal urges I admit it. I do pretty well when I am in school but leave me home to myself and I tend to eat coffee the first half of the day. Then I resort to whatever happens to be in the fridge. Leftovers if I like them. Or toast or ramen if nothing else is in the house. Sometimes I crave eggs. If it is holiday time than watch out. I have cookies w/my coffee and candy from the xmas stockings. I can't wait for the holidays to be over so I can stop eating so crazy. Before I started school I was running 4 or 5 times a week. This was great. I am going to try to start again this semester, because my classes are usually done relatively early int he day atleast wed-friday. So I should take 20 minutes out of my day and go run. at the very least. For me excercise makes a huge difference in my body tone. Without excercise i can't get rid of any excess fat. Hard to explain. I'm not overweight by any means. Slender actually. But the fat creeps in w/out the excercise. Probably because of my erratic diet! And sitting on my butt w/my nose in a book.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Key to my diet has been arranging interesting enough flavors and foods that manage to give the stomach a full feeling. Might glance at calories and fiber content every now and then, but its nothing to obsess over, just maintain a little awareness. Gym about three maybe four times a week. Hm, also like to keep an eye on the contents of sugars within my foods, unlike fats, considering how they've come to be somewhat ubiquitous. And for the single guy, really come to approach IQF veggies, helps to at least get it into your system on a rapid basis.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Do you exercise?
    There's something to that. If you go below 85% of the calorie level your body needs it goes into starvation mode and tries to hang onto every calorie it can. There are also severe psychological consequences of a starvation diet. One pound a week is all doctors recommend in terms of speed of weight loss.
    --------------------------------------
    I have meals twice a day (no breakfast) with snacking at night. Sometimes I have a pseudo-breakfast of a cup of tea and a small piece of chocolate.

I don't eat large amounts of meat on a regular basis and do vegetarian meals and sushi meals regularly. I'm not concerned about my weight per se, but my percentage body fat (I have a Taylor scale that tells me weight, % fat and %water). I work out, but not as often as I should. Trying to find a workout buddy. (I've bought some decent home gym equipment.)

What pushed my weight up was getting a car. Through college I didn't have a car and I had maintained the same weight from 17-25.

Cutting down on alcoholic drinks can reduce your weight a lot. This has worked for multiple members of my family.
    Last edited by radix023; 27th December 2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I eat six small low fat meals per day. I snack on protein bars, unsalted peanuts, pretzels, fruit, I eat plenty of carbs and very few veggies. I exercise 3 days a week for 30 minutes each time and I am able to maintain my weight.

Pescetarian, with a heavy emphasis on phytonutrients, good fats (especially fish oil), probiotics and fiber. Whole grain breads only, with no added sugar. (Ingrid's Kitchen, a wonderful local German Jewish deli/bakery, has excellent healthy breads all the time.)

Very, very limited intake of saturated fats. No trans fats at all. I try to stick to 1,800 calories a day or under, and usually walk between 2 to 4 miles a day. Absolutely no fast food or processed foods. Ironically, though, I love to cook for family and friends, and rich Southern home cooking and dense Irish farmhouse meals are my favorites. (I don't eat it -- I just make it for others.)

Smoothies and juices work really well for me. I use lots of fruit juice concentrate with no added sugars, no sugar probiotic yogurt, fresh leaf spinach, apples, bean sprouts, pears, peaches, kiwi, grapes, cucumbers, carrots, flax seeds, wheat grass (when I can get it), spirulina algae and kale. I've tried broccoli in smoothies, but the distinctive taste is too difficult to conceal. I like all veggies except badly prepared Brussels sprouts and (ick) breaded tomatoes. (If you don't know what this is, don't ask.)

I also eat a lot of legumes, especially black-eyed peas and garbanzo beans. They're both rich in fiber and zinc, and men need extra zinc. I love Lima beans and pinto beans (a Southern boy all the way), but can't eat either and spend any real time around other humans afterward, if you know what I mean. Soybeans have the same effect on me, and this is especially sad because I do love edamame with just a little sesame oil and salt.

My Achilles heel? Chocolate, especially high quality dark varieties and ALL varieties with nuts and/or marzipan. I must avoid it at all costs -- it's essentially what caused my 15 lb. weight gain when I quit smoking. And no, I can neither keep small amounts of it around, nor can I eat it in moderation. I am a certified chocaholic of the worst magnitude -- it is to me what booze is to an alcoholic.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st April 2008 at 03:40 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

TVLampboy-- I love Lima beans and pinto beans (a Southern boy all the way), but can't eat either and spend any real time around other humans afterward, if you know what I mean. Soybeans have the same effect on me, and this is especially sad because I do love edamame with just a little sesame oil and salt.
    Mostly it is the oligosaccharides in the beans that cause the problem. Changing the soak water for dried beans several times (24 hour soak in fridge) seems to take the wind out of the sails for me by allowing the majority of the olegosaccharides to enter the soak water which I dump. Also, Beano works well for me if I think to take it before eating fireworks foods like edamame
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Recently vegan (about a month since I switched). As a result, I'm generally less tired at uni, and it's not as hard for me to fall asleep.

Sugar's still an issue for me. My weight is stable, but then again, it's always been stable. I also think it's important to distance yourself from the "guilt" people sometimes associate with food - It just doesn't strike me as a particularly healthy mindset.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I avoid bad sugars not out of guilt but out of health concerns. I used to have terrible candida that fed on all the simple sugars I put into my body. Also, there's Type II diabetes on both my paternal and maternal sides. As a result (all of the above coupled with potential weight gain and tooth decay), I avoid simple sugars like the plague.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I try to but I'm a chocoholic as well so I fully sympathise. I can't have chocolate in the house - if it's there I will eat all of it.
    I eat a high vegetable diet with good protein (chicken, salmon and sometimes steak - I try to buy free range, ethically farmed meat where possible) and I've tried all sorts of things - did some intermittant fasting recently and ended up gaining bodyfat instead of losing weight like all the people who recommended IF to me did.
    Unfortunately I don't do much better with "healthy" snacks - I can quite easily binge on raisins and nuts. I had to stop buying brazil nuts because I found out you could actually get selenium poisoning on them. You're recommended to eat no more than 4 a day - prefereably 1 or 2. I was inhaling them out of the bag. So they're gone from my regular shopping list, at least for now. Also trying to give up sugar free gum because I've been chewing far too much and am worried about the side effects of aspartame (never mind the nasty indigestion it gives me!)
    I eat very well most of the time but it doesn't take much to push me off the wagon.

My metabolism is insanely fast, so no matter how much I eat, I don't gain weight. I got tired of trying to gain weight with nothing happening, so usually I eat one meal a day (dinner) and then snack occasionally. Your body will get used to a lack of calories (at least mine has) and so I'm usually not hungry either.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

I'm nearly 5'11 and weight 50 kgs. I have a super high metabolism, and it's nearly impossible for me to gain any weight. I've had a relatively tall and lean body frame since I was 8 years old. I eat whatever I want.... oreo ice cream, whoppers at BK and chips were my favorites last week. Most likely as I get older (still fairly young now) my metabolism will slow down, and I'll put on weight, so I'm just trying to enjoy things for now.

I'm a vegetarian, and have been my whole life. I went vegan for about a year when I was a student, but I missed Brie too much.
    I work on the anything in moderation theory, if I totally deprive myself of something I like I'll just eat more of it. I cook everything from scratch, except baked beans, and since I started doing that, that's made a massive difference.
    I go to the gym 2-4 times a week, it'd be 5 if the gym would put in a creche/nursery, and I really love it, which is a big surprise because I never thought I would (school put me off exercise).
    I don't calorie count, I'm quite an obsessive personality and anything like that just makes me even more so (I have tried it once, my husband had to take the calorie book off of me). I'm less bothered about how much I weigh, and more about how healthy I am these days. I had quite a bad birth experience and my lack of fitness really didn't help me, I can happily say that 6 months post I'm much fitter than I was two years ago.

I'm not a vegetarian, however I try to avoid red meat (e.g. pork and beef) because it has lots of saturated fat, among other things. In the right amount and of the right kind, fat has positive effects.

I stick to 1700 calories/day, with 30% of those coming from protein, 40% from carbs, and 30% from fat. (It's called calorie restriction, if that says anything.) Lots of vegetables as well as some fruits, berries and whole grains, lean protein sources, and unsaturated fat (like avocados and olive oil). I also make sure that I get 100% of the RDA values for every vitamin and mineral - not from supplements, but from the food I eat. This means that I only eat the most nutritious of foods. Obviously, this requires a bit of meal planning.
    So that means no sugar, no candy, no fast food, no soft drinks, no alcohol (and of course, no smoking).

I also exercise a bit - mostly biking and brisk walking.
    Last edited by xian; 2nd April 2008 at 12:04 PM.
    Mens omnia vincit

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I try to but I'm a chocoholic as well so I fully sympathise. I can't have chocolate in the house - if it's there I will eat all of it.
    Girl, you and I must be related. Seriously, I'm exactly the same -- I simply can't have it around. PERIOD. If it's around, rest assured that it WILL get gobbled down. I can avoid pies and cakes and fast food and all sorts of stuff with no problems whatsoever. That said, I really don't think that I COULD avoid good chocolate in the house. Bad chocolate? I could avoid that, probably. But good choc? No, not bloody likely. Like you, I just have to keep it out of the house altogether and then all is well.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Stella Doro has some nice cookies that are low fat. I like to dip them in black coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Girl, you and I must be related. Seriously, I'm exactly the same -- I simply can't have it around. PERIOD. If it's around, rest assured that it WILL get gobbled down. I can avoid pies and cakes and fast food and all sorts of stuff with no problems whatsoever. That said, I really don't think that I COULD avoid good chocolate in the house. Bad chocolate? I could avoid that, probably. But good choc? No, not bloody likely. Like you, I just have to keep it out of the house altogether and then all is well.
    I'm the same. I am not tempted by Snickers and Mars bars. My achilles heel is Hotel Chocolat. These are absolutely the best chocolates I have eaten. I like the selection boxes but the chocolate-enrobed fruit (complete with semi-pornographic description) contains enough booze to fail a breath test. Evil evil stuff. There is good and bad news - the good news is that they are now in the US as well as the UK. The bad news is that they are now in the US as well as the UK.

The pleasure principle. Eating is joy and my body deserves only the best food to build its new cells from. The only weak link in the hedonistic chain is the atrocious university cafeteria, where they serve "food" instead of food. I avoid it where I can, but sociability demands a culinary sacrifice once a week.

Quality is a great dietician. I love chocolate, but what I eat is, e.g., Michel Cluizel's Grand Amere. 85% cocoa, no vanillin or lecithin and such a rich, full flavor that it's impossible to eat more than two bits, where others may devour Cadbury bars by the dozen without finding fulfilment.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Quality is a great dietician. I love chocolate, but what I eat is, e.g., Michel Cluizel's Grand Amere. 85% cocoa, no vanillin or lecithin and such a rich, full flavor that it's impossible to eat more than two bits, where others may devour Cadbury bars by the dozen without finding fulfilment.
    I agree with you entirely! Being a vegan has made me realise how much "filler" is put into the average bit of bog-standard chocolate. Give me some Green and Black's or Haigh's any day!
    "That's Numberwang!"

Cluizel makes truly great chocolate, no doubt about it.

Speaking of matters chocolate: have any of you ever eaten or cooked with raw cocoa/cacao nibs? I know that they're full of anti-oxidants, and the movie Chocolat makes a great fuss about their much touted aphrodisiac qualities. I seem (cacao nibs) in my local health food shop, but have yet to try them. (They're pretty expensive.) Anyone? I'm not even sure how one goes about eating them.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 7th April 2008 at 07:39 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

I eat a mostly vegan diet but I have a soy allergy, so I allow myself fish a couple of times a week for protein.

I do 90 minutes of hot yoga twice a week.

I usually eat oatmeal with nuts for breakfast, some kind of soup for lunch, dinner is often sushi or thai or something asian \, and I almost always have some kind of dessert, whether it is a couple pieces of chocolate, sorbet, or just a spoonful of peanut butter!

I am mostly happy with my body. Wouldn't mind to lose maybe five or ten pounds around my middle!

My philosophy? Whatever doesn't make me feel sick I'll eat. I have Crohn's Disease and there's a lot of food out there that makes eating a chore and put me in a lot of pain. Vegetables are the worst offender.

::sigh::

I've got no diet, or rather positive eatting habbits, going. i work both first and second shift, so i eat whenever i can get a chance to find food. we don't keep much of it in the house, so whatever food is about, i'll eat.

i could never be a vegetarian, i like me my steak. plus I'm looking to get into spearfishing... maybe.

i prefer whole wheat breads, but i'm a sucker for good pan cubano. i also feel that butter is better than "butter tasting" spreads. same goes for sugar, maple syrup, and other things that are considered bad, but their supposedly healthier counterparts are laden with chemicals i can't pronounce.

i try not to eat fast food, but its cheap and easy. i usually try to go for the better resteraunts get a big meal, then eat half and save half for lunch the next day.

i don't work out much, but i'm hoping once i get a normal first shift only job (sigh, some day) i'll start dancing again and maybe go to the gym. right now, i dive (duh) and attempt to ride my bike (do you know the pain your butt is in after a 12-13 mile ride? oye. give me mountainbike trails over roads anyday!). i sorely miss college; i did judo and dance, so i was a little more trim then.

all in all, i think moderation is a good eating pattern. too much or too little of anything isn't good... unless its perfume, then too much isn't enough (bottles, that is)
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

I'm trying to lose weight and am having success with Weight Watchers' Core program. Since I started in April I've lost almost 15 lbs. Their Core program allows you eat what you like from their "Core" list of foods, which includes lean protein, fat-free dairy, fresh fruits & vegetables, healthy oils (olive and canola), and 100% whole grains. The emphasis is on mindfulness, portion control, being active, being aware of your food issues and managing them. It's a healthy program. I find my sweet cravings are a bit more controllable by eating whole grains, which keep the blood sugar level more even than refined carbs. But if I'm really craving something, I just have it rather than trying to substitute something more low-cal that never really satisfies anyway. I'm a real foody - I eat almost anything, but I'm trying to be moderate about everything. If I deprive myself of any food I really love (cheese, chocolate, chardonnay, crab cakes...as my mom says, "all the good stuff starts with the letter C"...then I know I will not stick with that way of eating. I just won't. My diet has to be a no-brainer. This program is working well for me, and I'm losing at a healthy rate, a little over a pound a week (I'm 5'8" tall), and I'm eating healthier than ever just by reducing refined carbs alone. And I don't feel deprived because I like everything I'm supposed to be eating, and I have some wiggle room for treats. I'm not affiliated with WW in any commercial way, just wanted to share my experience.

What is the Serge Kreutz food philosophy?

The Serge Kreutz food philosophy is for both dieters and gourmets what Charles Darwin's principles of evolution are for biologists.

Both change everything.

Just as biology wasn't the same after Charles Darwin, dieting and gourmet eating are not the same after Serge Kreutz.

You can summarize Charles Darwin in one sentence: different forms of life evolve from previous forms of life by natural and sexual selection.

You can also summarize Serge Kreutz in one sentence: differentiate between the nutrition value and the pleasure value of food, and be selective about what you pass to your stomach.

If the world adopts Serge Kreutz' food philosophy, there will no longer be obese people.

Obesity is unnecessary and so easy to avoid for anybody who unserstands the Serge Kreutz food philosophy.

At the core is, as mentioned above, the differentiation between the nutritional value of food, and the psychological (pleasure) component.

Much has been written about the nutritional value of all different foods humans consume. I do not have to add anything to this, except a word of caution: as you aim to be of ideal weight (height in centimeter minus 100, minus 10 percent = weight in kilogram), any food that passes to your stomach has to be of limited quantity (some fruit every day, a few nuts, an egg).

Now, that doesn't sound very satisfying. And indeed, it is not. It is also not very satiating.

But being overly satiated is negative from any perspective you look at it.

The long-term effect of constantly filling your stomach with foodstuff, and overloading your intestines with content is a myriad of problems associated with being overweight.

But even the short-term effects are no good. Many foodstuffs cause an irritation of the digestive tract, and there is a plethora of unhealthy components in many foods, many over time even with a cancer risk.

Stuffing yourself with food also suppresses testosterone, thus inhibiting libido, and slows down brain function, thus making you less intelligent.

Yeah, but I love food. And you do.

And Serge Kreutz fully recognizes this. According to Serge Kreutz, apart from sexual intercourse, our relationship with food is what makes our lives worth living.

And Serge Kreutz actually encourages you to indulge in food. Copious quantities. Orgies of taste.

Just follow one important advice: don't discard into your stomach what your mouth enjoys. Discard into a plastic bag. Just drink (and swallow intentionally) plain water after the bolus has passed into a plastic bag.

Yes, you will feel satisfied after such a meal. For satisfaction from food is a quality that comes from the taste of food. And you have taste receptors only in your mouth, and the esophagus and all further organs of food digestion are void of taste receptors (thank God, because chyme tastes horrible, first like vomit, then like shit).

It is obvious that food-related satisfaction is a consequence neither of the nutritional value of food, nor of its effect of loading the stomach and further organs of the digestive tract.

If the satisfaction from food where related to either of the above two, we would all be eating optimally formulated silage, just as hogs.

Come on! Satisfaction from food comes entirely from the taste of food. Nothing else.

It's in the brain. What we feel in the digestive tract beyond the mouth is satiation, not satisfaction. Even though undersatiation is registered in the brain as hunger, full satiation actually is a handicap on the path to further satisfaction.

Remember your childhood? Having Sunday lunch at your grandma's? Or a Thanksgiving dinner? Eat as much as you can. Unlimited delicious food. Until you have to admit: I just can't eat any more! Absolutely full. But you still can lick spoons.

Didn't you feel just great?

Yes, putting loads of food in your mouth will cause a very positive mood. The uplifting effect is better than that of Prozac (the Viagra for the mind).

Now, if you avoid the satiation from passing food into your stomach, won't you be eating all day?

Serge Kreutz says No, you won't. And you can try this yourself.

The correct technique for kreutzing food is to drink (and swallow) some water in between instances of putting food into your mouth, and chewing and discarding it. This, along with the small quantities of food that anyway slide down your esophagus when you roll it in your mouth, is enough to stop any hunger signaling from the stomach.

Certainly, when kreutzing meals, you will put more food in your mouth than when consuming meals conventionally. Enjoy!

But sooner or later, your appetite will subside all by itself. Tastes, when experienced again and again, will lose intensity, and apart from that, there will, sooner or later, be a desire to do something else than eat.

That is when you are satisfied. Even though you are not satiated in the sense that you are burdened. It's full satisfaction, but satiation only by the water you drink and swallow in between discarding any other content of your mouth into plastic bags.

And you can do this for years. Never feel any food deprivation. And be of ideal weight forever.

Ok the post above seems like the most ridiculous thing ever. Eating by not eating. This is an eating disorder, not a diet to live on. Thread necromancy too.

But I do like the thread!

I was vegetarian for about 20 years, never vegan, but took to eating fish a couple of times a week a few years back, this actually improved my health - blood pressure and sugar went lower, weight stayed the same. Fish and walnuts, baby!

Moderation is the main diet value I hold; I don't like gluttony and also avoid dieting now because I was eating disordered as a teen and don't want to fall into a way controlling attitude toward eating, either.

I try to get as much good fats as possible from nuts, fish, avocado. Do eat full fat dairy too. Do not eat much prepared foods, we make everything at home (not out of choice, budget constraints - I'd love to eat out) but occasionally use sugar and often put white flour in bread. I have a Diet Coke habit since forever, this is my vice.

Normal day:
    Walnuts (sometimes with dry fruit) for breakfast, or occasionally eggs or oatmeal instead.
    Leftover supper for lunch (biggest meal - I try to eat a LOT at lunch)
    Sometimes a fruit for snack, or small meal for teatime - a quesadilla or yogurt or something.
    Supper - beans and rice and greens or some variation of that, usually. But sometimes eggs or fish or pasta or salad or veg stir fry or something else. Smaller portion at this time, pack most of it for tomorrow's lunch.

I think it works out to somewhere around 2000-2500 KCal, to maintain between 125-130lb at 5'9", yes thin but this is normal for me, I am not dieting or restricting anything, it's where my body settles at a healthy weight.
    I work out at least 4x/week for an hour; Exercise is Very.Important IMO. The most important factor in healthy body.

I see I posted above about Weight Watchers. They are a great program, but I gave up because I don't like having to write down every little thing I eat. It was making me just obsess over what I could and could not eat all the time. Really annoying, and I didn't want to spend my life like that. So I quit and gained the weight back, lol!

I am really struggling with my weight for the first time in my life, well the past couple of years. Partially, it is hormonal - time of life stuff - and the rest is sheer lack of activity. If I'm quite physically active I can eat anything I like and not gain much. I have other diet related issues, though, that have cropped up as I've aged. I've been doing Blood Type Diet (Eat Right For Your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo) for the past year and that has cleared up a lot of those problems. Such as..."seasonal" allergies, migraine, acid indigestion, joint inflammation in my right hand, and some weird "bug" that would come and go. All of this has cleared up since following a different dietary protocol. Now if I can just motivate myself to join a gym, which I must do because I don't live in a pedestrian ruled environment anymore. It's all cars here.

p.s. I just dropped weight on Blood Type Diet as a side benefit, but I need to lose some more and that will only come with exercise.

Oh, and furthermore. My philosophy about diet is "eat when you're hungry". And don't eat garbage, or at least try to avoid it as much as possible. Eat lots of organic fruits & veggies, wild caught clean fish, grass fed beef if you eat meat (I do), organic grains. Eat everything as close to its original state as possible, no frozen dinners and boxed mixes. That stuff has so much junk in it, it will kill you!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 14th December 2011 at 11:38 PM.

I don't do anything out of the normal. Try to eat healthy,balanced meals, exercise regularly, and just stay as active on a daily basis as my body will permit.

I don't "diet" as such - I think traditional dieting is a con and actually makes it harder to maintain the weight you want because it can reduce lean muscle mass/slow down the metabolism.

I generally eat real food by which I mean veges, fruit and some meats. I avoid processed foods.
    That's not to say that I don't have processed food, I just make sure the majority of my meals are natural. To be honest, I prefer the taste too.

Otherwise I make sure I maintain a reasonable lean muscle mass.
    It seems counter intuitive but it takes a hell of a lot of energy to maintain, build and repair muscle and while your body tries to do this it burns your fat (even at rest).
    I know some people worry about "bulking up" but it takes serious and constant effort (hard weights 3+ times a week) for a year or more for this to happen.

I struggle with aerobic exercise and I figure why run for 30 mins every day when I can push weights or similar for 20 mins a week and get better results and eat more of what I like.

Most of the time I follow a vegan, mainly raw, diet.
    Sometimes I eat fish or dairy, but not every day.
    I try to eat as little flour/processed carbs (even wholewheat) as possible. If I don't eat any, all the better.
    I never eat junk and I drink a lot of water.
    I do Pilates at least 3 times a week, I walk and I have a stationary bike at home.

Diet philosophy? High quality foods made from scratch. Grass-fed/pastured/organic/biodynamic and so on, whenever possible. Eat only when hungry. Avoid sugars, fruits and grains, except for occasional treats, and make sure to eat plenty of natural, healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil and macadamia oil, butter/ghee and preferably a good cod liver oil.

Ride a bike to work, do yoga, take brisk walks several times per week... Exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Diet philosophy? High quality foods made from scratch. Grass-fed/pastured/organic/biodynamic and so on, whenever possible. Eat only when hungry. Avoid sugars, fruits and grains, except for occasional treats, and make sure to eat plenty of natural, healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil and macadamia oil, butter/ghee and preferably a good cod liver oil.

Ride a bike to work, do yoga, take brisk walks several times per week... Exercise!
    Bravo! I approve.

Paleo Diet which is more of a lifestyle coupled with High Intensity Training has been a beautiful and ground breaking change for me.

I eat everything in moderation, with an emphasis on whole foods. I enjoy fruits, vegetables, grains, breads, pasta, cheese, meat, eggs, nuts and seeds, and olive oil. I eat sweets occasionally if it is worth it at the time. While a quality diet is important, I think it is also very important to do exercise. I do p90x as an exercise routine, and pilates/yoga/stretching/walking as part of my lifestyle.

I personally find that high-intensity exercise with a lot of sweating helps to cleanse the body.

Eat less, and less junk, and move more. Gaining muscle mass helps too. And cold showers (though perhaps a drop in the ocean if you are really struggling with your weight).

Basenotes Institution

As Robin In Fl pointed out- exercise is very very important .
    Eating 'clean' foods - unprocessed as much as possible ,not necessarily organic .
    Omega 3-6-9 supplements are a must.
    I have stopped eating gluten and I try not to get lactose into my system simply because they don't agree with me. Soda and diet soda are also really not good. I have stopped drinking diet soda completely. Alcohol , even the " good for your heart " red wine - no go . Just stay away from alcohol and drink water.
    Mostly for me, it is consistent exercise 5-6 times a week - weights, cardio ,yoga . Just keep moving .

I don't diet per se but I am careful about what I put in my body and the quantities .
    ( Hormones ,for women ,can really derail our efforts , I know . I totally understand it. )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I generally eat whatever I want and try not to overdo sweets and fatty snacks. I usually lose weight when I totally cut out table sugar, but it's really difficult when cravings strike, so I try not to set myself up for failure.

Once in awhile, I set a strict diet (no sweets, no processed foods, etc.) but can never stick with it so I try just to exercise moderation and exercise ... my body. I like to eat a lot of whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and home cooked foods, but sometimes I just cannot afford to eat great. When that happens, I try not to beat myself up and resolve to do my best.

Also, I try to never skip breakfast or any meal, as this almost always results in poor choices later.

I take a multivitamin every day and drink a lot of coffee and tea which helps, I think, to control cravings somewhat. Sometimes when I'm craving sweets- and especially if there are none available- then I drink tea sweetened with sugar, or preferably honey.

I really want to start working out more. I walk a lot, but my body is so used to it that it doesn't burn calories or present any challenge. My knees are starting to feel funky from ill supportive shoes, tap dancing, and age I guess. This has really motivated me to start doing strength training and wearing better shoes.

I gotta get in shape in time for summer clothes! I don't want to look a busted can of biscuits in my swimsuit. *sigh.* Time to get to work.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I joined a gym the day after Christmas, one I like, but I'm still trying to motivate myself to get there 3x week minimum. I do weights and cardio when I'm there, which takes about an hour. It's so boring, I really hate it, but I very much like the feeling of having done it, though afterward I feel like I've been hit with a tranquilizer dart. And then I get ravenously hungry! Eat less, exercise more, like hell! Lol! Anyway, that aside, I haven't lost weight, but I have increased muscle mass and decreased body fat...slightly. And my biological age is supposedly three years younger than my real age, and I'm not in terrible shape but I'm just too FAT! I gave up sugar for Lent, so no chocolate lately. I've been eating pretty well, no processed foods at all, but I refuse to count calories and points and all that. I wish I lived in a pedestrian city where I could leave the car and walk everywhere. I avoid wheat, dairy, corn, and pork. When I cheat and have cheese I really feel it. Also no nightshades for me because they aggravate inflammation in my joints. <<<Miss Casey, take note.

Basenotes Institution

Lilybelle - well done for joining a gym. Yay !!!
    As a gym rat myself - yes you're right - it's tedious and boring !! I know ! *LOL* The best thing I ever did for my body is not food related .....I bought an iPod !!! If I didn't have my iPod for motivation - the gym would very very hard work. Having an iPod is also a subconscious message to other people at the gym - "I'm working hard , it's tough , please don't talk to me when I'm on my most painful last rep ! "

Miss Casey - maybe a change up from walking might help .Maybe you should mix up the exercise ..... Zumba is great fun! I love Zumba - some of those dance related exercises.
    I also do Tracey Anderson DVDs which are okay but I'm not totally impressed . The exercises are not as satisfying as a good weights routine or a heart pumping run on the treadmill, IMHO . I'll still try to do them - she just goes really fast too .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th March 2012 at 03:24 AM.

Thank you, Mimi. Zumba looks like sooo much fun! I'd like to try that, too, but I'm not quite ready for it. Not to mention imagining what I will look like doing it, lol!!! Dance classes are fun, though. When I get to where 3x week cardio/weights are routine for me, then I will fill in with some classes. Baby steps here.

Also no nightshades for me because they aggravate inflammation in my joints. <<<Miss Casey, take note

Oh no! First I had to look up what night shades were, and then I realized that some of my favorite veggies are such ... oh well. It's good to know, anyway. Hm.

Miss Casey - maybe a change up from walking might help .Maybe you should mix up the exercise ..... Zumba is great fun! I love Zumba - some of those dance related exercises.
    I've heard that Zumba is really fun, but I haven't tried it. I have done old time dance- clogging, tap, etc but it's been hardest of all on my knees, I think. That and those hard tap shoes. I may try swimming- though I'm afraid to wreck my hair- and today I went for a jog which I REALLY enjoyed. Just got some new running shoes. I also used to enjoy Pilates, which I may try again. And I wish I could get myself to a yoga class, really. But I just don't have time. Grr.

Oh, and Mimi- I agree that the gym is tedious and boring. I was hoping it got easier, but I guess maybe not so much. Definitely should start bringing my ipod or something.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Institution

Miss Casey - bring your iPod ! *LOL* It's a life saver !
    I don't swim anymore...because my hair can't take anymore chemicals ! Plus the sign " Pool is closed temporarily due to a chemical imbalance" kinda freaks me out. Usually it means someone peed in it or worse ......

Yeah, swimming pools kinda freak me out. I prefer natural bodies of water.

To lose weight, eat less.
    To maintain muscle ( lean body mass ) while losing weight, lift weights, yes even you women.
    Eat more protein than you do now to help with hunger and the muscle sparing effects.

No need to cut any food out, even "bad junk food"
    you can lose weight eating twinkies and snickers bars, dont over think it and eat less.

Good day all.

Blog Entries

When I cut out SUGAR, it is fairly easy to eat most foods, in normal quantities. I was forced to eliminate all sugars, a few years ago, when diagnosed with Diabetes 2. Then, with a blood test meter, and pricking the finger tips, strict control of SUGAR followed and the weight practically fell off.

Now, that the Diabetes 2 is under control, I stopped taking medications, and permit myself some sugar containing food, and sure enough, the weight starts climbing - ever so slowly from 120 lbs to 140 lbs on a 5' 6" frame. Not outlandish heavy, but this made me think that there is something to the theory to not eat donuts and a tuna salad on lettuce instead. Raw carrots and apples are also good fillers.

Popcorn - stupid ! Diet soda - just food colored sugar-replacement junk !

WATER in abundance, helps flush out the toxins.

EXERCISE, at least walking.

That's about it. Hope that helps.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Is popcorn bad? I thought it was ok as long as you hold the butter etc.

My weight fluctuates alot , I'm what you might call an emotional or comfort eater . Having struggled with eating disorders in the past I have a difficult relationship with food and self image etc