Code of Conduct

Default Your thoughts on Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

i've seen this cologne in an advertisement in Men's Health, and i would like to know if it's a good buy (relation price, it's durability and of course if it smells good). Unfortunately i can't access the reviews so i can know what other people have to say about it.if some of you can share your experiences with Le Male it would be great.

thanks in advance

Default Re: Your thoughts on Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

Teddy. Don't believe his lies.

-John G.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Teddy. Don't believe his lies.

-John G.

??? i'm sorry can you be more specific mate

I like it. Ladies like it. Gay guys REALLY like it. But I'm sure it's bigger in Europe than the states, which is a bad thing. I like it though. Find a way to get access to reviews...

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I like it. Ladies like it. Gay guys REALLY like it. But I'm sure it's bigger in Europe than the states, which is a bad thing. I like it though. Find a way to get access to reviews...
    This is exactly why I have a love-hate relation with Le Male.

It does smell good, but damn if it's generally known that this frag is used by mostly gay guys I'll rather pass this one...

The Fleur du Male creation shows that the above is true.

smeller

In my experience, it's just very cloying and disgusting.

Yes, it is a negative review.

If gay people identify with it, that's one more reason to remain straight.

Ladies like it? Sorry for them. They may smell it all around, but not in me.

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, none of my gay guy friends wear LeMale. And I have a lot of gay guy friends.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

My roommate is about as stereotypically hetero as it's possible to be. He wears Le Male (one spray max, thank God). I think it's pleasant in small doses, but it has glaring and obvious flaws, like a mint note that doesn't belong and sticks out like a Hawaiian shirt at an accounting convention. And almost everything about it smells (and probably is) synthetic.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

On its own I don't hate it, but there are a hundred other colognes that I'd rather wear... If you must own it then you would probably be better off buying Perry Ellis 360 White instead. To my nose it's an improved version of Le Male for a fraction of the cost...

Le Male is way too sweet for my taste. Also, I'm not a big fan of vanilla and mint, which Le Male has in abundance, and I absolutely hate the bottle design. I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone. I know, it's a shallow excuse, but...

All that aside, I was strangely drawn to the sample I bought. Go figure.

There are about a bazillion reviews on Le Male in the Basenotes directory.

re: the gay argument: YEESH. It's a fragrance, not a lifestyle!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th December 2007 at 11:15 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    This is exactly why I have a love-hate relation with Le Male.

It does smell good, but damn if it's generally known that this frag is used by mostly gay guys I'll rather pass this one...

The Fleur du Male creation shows that the above is true.
    Well... an EDT will not change your sexual tendencies... really. It's all about confidence man. Go get it
    Last edited by irish; 14th December 2007 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
    Unfortunately i can't access the reviews so i can know what other people have to say about it.
    Hi Picollo30,

I am confused as to why you are not able to access the reviews.

I thought Grant's notice (http://basenotes.net/site_news/20071203noreviews.html) applies to only to guests and members who have not logged on as members.

Since you are a member, you should have access - have you contacted anyone about this?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It is classified as a gay scent in Thailand, lol. Anyway, I like it, very sensual. Just bought a sample of aftershave gel and active face-care lotion.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I truely wanted to like this fragrance and have owned it a few times but alas with no success. I just cannot do vanilla with the exception of body kouros perhaps. If you like vanilla than it would be a wonderful fragrance for you. So, don't take an opinion from someone who doesn't like vanilla because to like Le Male, you clearly have to love vanilla.

Le Male is thought of as a "Gay" scent? OMG!!!

Thanks, guys...now i'm afraid to ever wear it. Don't want my estrogen level to go up and have my nuts turn to raisins.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It is not a bad scent, it is just overly popular here in the UK. Most men buy it because they hear it attracts girls. I smelt on at least 2 people per day.
    Last edited by incedal; 14th December 2007 at 06:32 AM.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

A great fragrance with extremely nice longevity and sillage. To some, the composition with the mint top note smells very synthetic, at least initially. I can see that, but it doesn't bother me. That and it's popularity (which also doesn't bother me really - I mean, how many people are wearing Adidas Sambas? I don't care.) are probably the only negative things to say for me.

I like the wormwood in it. I recall a few females back in the 90s that liked it on men.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and shagged his bank manager's wife...

I like it. It's one of the more distinguished orientals IMO. I think it's a perfect clubbing scent since every other guy wears Acqua di Gio in my area.

Generally I despise me some Gaultier but as far as observations go do seem to find the Cool Water over a broad range of middle aged gays from asian tekkies to drag queen bar owners. While I think one may fine Le Male in the more twinkish of wardrobes I doubt I could bring myself near. Otherwise only other thought concerning Le Male is that I wouldn't be surprised to find it on the dresser Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

Synthetic, sickly sweet and utterly horrible. I don't care if the chicks like it, I can't stand the stuff and I would prefer to attract a girl with better taste than to go for this crap.

It's interesting to know that it took Francis Kurdjian 10 years since his calling at age 15 to be a perfumer to make this hit. It wasn't bad for a first scent. His quality of work has improved over the past few years.

It's quite a popular fragrance as far as I know, but I can't stand it. One sniff is enough for me to get a headache and nausea. Thankfully it passes away fast if I move away from the scent, but for this very reason I avoid it like the plague. It seems many girls think it smells great though.

(Whoa, first post in quite a while. Go me! )

I remember smelling it when it came out and it reminded me of Joop Homme. At that time I was near the bottom of my Joop and figured when it was out I would be replacing it with something different so I never gave Le Male any thought. At that time I had between 5-6 bottles which I rotated. The bottle is odd. It looks like the torso of a broken up GI Joe figure.

I don't really like it. Admittedly I only tried it once, but that one test spray was too much - a single spray and my friends were knocked back by it while I was still ten paces away

It's sweet, it's strong, it lasts a long time. If you'd like to make an impression like a mallet over the head, it's a great choice! Subtle and refined, it most certainly is not

I wouldn't use it myself, but I can see how it would appeal to others. Can't speak for whether it draws in gay men, straight women, little green aliens, rampaging Godzilla-like creatures, or anything else.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

For what it's worth, I think the real message behind Jean Paul Gaultier's blurring of the lines between gay and straight is the simple fact: WE ARE ALL HORNY.

Did you guys see those pics of that JPG FREAK's collection in the wardrobe pics thread?!

I like the scent, but it has gotten to the point where it reminds me of two or three of my friends, and specific peroids of time. (dirty frat parties, etc)

I never owned it, but had come very close when I first started collecting. Oh and I totally agree that Perry Ellis 360 White is very similar and much cheaper. I haven't dissected them like the GIT/Cool Water "challenge", but they're pretty close as far as I can tell.

Another thing I'd like to add is that for some reason, Chergui seems to dry down into something that resembles, or at least reminds me of Le Male. This might be an illusion for me, but it is consistent.

Gaultier 2 was not as good, Fleur d' Male is pretty bad, imo. Don't like the house very much, I guess.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 15th December 2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    It's interesting to know that it took Francis Kurdjian 10 years since his calling at age 15 to be a perfumer to make this hit. It wasn't bad for a first scent. His quality of work has improved over the past few years.
    Was it really his first fragrance? I did not know he was that young and that JPG took a risk hiring someone with no previous sucess history. I'm glad they did.

Woohooo my 1st post!

I have to say that Le Male is one of the best scents around! This is also its curse as A LOT of guys wear it..

But regardless of the "mass effect" I must say that it is still within the very top of my personal list and I still like to wear it.

It is a sweet but male sent, much more male than the metro scent "fleur du mal"

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Was it really his first fragrance? I did not know he was that young and that JPG took a risk hiring someone with no previous sucess history. I'm glad they did.
    http://www.parfums-et-aromes.com/4899/37497.html (French)
    http://www.franciskurkdjian.com (English/French)

Well, I think JPG contracted him from Quest International.
    Last edited by scentophile; 15th December 2007 at 07:21 PM.